Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

You're leaving the military with more than you gave.

You win. Now live the rest of your life without this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

You're leaving the military with more than you gave.

You win. Now live the rest of your life without this bullshit.

Pretty much this. No matter how much you wanted to fly-this is a huge blessing for you not to deal with this poo poo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Chemystery posted:

O-1 Ensign. OCS Commissioned in May 2013. Was in flight school down in Pensacola, Florida. NFO pipeline. Flight school was not working out for me and was sent to a Probationary Officer Review and Continuation Board. Was not selected for any re-designation into any designator and basically told: thank you for your service, we are not in need of junior officers at the moment. Slated for removal from AD into IRR January 31, 2014. Basically, OCS guys are given the boot if their primary designator doesn't work for them. ROTC and Academy guys have more money invested in them and Navy doesn't give them the boot as easily as it was for me. Most of my command say it is due to force reductions and whatnot.

No DUI or anything. I will be getting an honorable discharge. I have never had any disciplinary action of any kind what so ever.

What's your undergrad in? Feel like grad school?

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Maybe this world is another planet's hell...

holocaust bloopers posted:

What's your undergrad in? Feel like grad school?

Two B.S. degrees from the University of California, Irvine. One in chemistry the other in public health sciences. Overall 3.4 GPA. Currently studying for MCAT and will be applying to D.O. and M.D. and Physician Assistant programs.

I never joined the military because I "needed a job." It was more of a "I want to serve my country and go on a deployment or two...flying a F/A-18 sounds boss." I guess I am just slightly bitter because I never made it out to fleet nor seen anything in the military besides a training command. I have been told that by many senior enlisted and fellow officers around that I getting the best possible exit and benefit.

I completely understand my situation and know that everything happens for the best. But this is still a kind of "now your life is undecided." When I signed up I kind of figured the next 6 years of my life would be pretty much following a single track.

Either way, life goes on.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
No joke dude you made out like a bandit. Sucks you didn't make good on what you wanted, but hey least you left with some sweet benefits.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Get discharged with a smile on your face, man. Life literally just gave you a "take backsies" and you get another shot at choosing a career. Not flying Jets and poo poo sucks, but you could have ended up like the rest of use crotchety broke-dicks bitching about the VA.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Chemystery posted:

Currently studying for MCAT and will be applying to D.O. and M.D. and Physician Assistant programs.

This is an infinitely better thing to do with your life. The Post 9/11 will be a huge help to this as well. You got the best part of the deal, take it and run man.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Did...did somebody just win the military game?

Pack it up boys, we're done here.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Did...did somebody just win the military game?

Pack it up boys, we're done here.

Not just won, but cleanly. This ain't no pyrrhic victory.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Chemystery posted:

Navy O-1 here. Being involuntarily separated (honorable discharge) and would like some advice on what I should be doing before I get the gently caress out. Anything I should be doing right now with regards to veteran benefits. Time on AD was 8 months not counting OCS. I know I get 50% of post-9/11, but other than that...I am at a loving loss as to what else is available to me.

Also, what is the best way to did a "do it yourself move" once I am leaving AD? Does one simply go to the property office on base and tell them to issue moving allowance ahead of time? Sorry, but this poo poo caught me completely off guard and I know jack poo poo about anything but being corrected.

There was a dude a long time ago that posted an Ask/Tell thread regarding his time in military prisons. He was Navy, was in hawaii and sold a couple of pills of molly or something and got busted. He was in the brig when 9/11 happened, and I guess their CO came in and brought 'em all to attention and gave 'em a pretty moving speech that stuck with me over the years for some reason.

Anyway- one of the things the dude giving the speech said was something along the lines of no matter how things turned out for you, at least you were willing to raise your right hand and stand up for this country or whatever and stand the watch. It was really really 9/11 as gently caress. Kinda lame, but probably not at that time.

But the sentiment is the same, sorry the USN didn't work out for you but thank you for trying- not everyone would even get that far. And also yeah dude, you totally won the loving military game. Like, 100%.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
See if you qualify for TAMP since you're being involuntarily separated, it's basically an extra 6 months of free healthcare.

There's no question we've entered dark times for retention...all the people who washed out of ABM training while I was there were given the choice to reclass or get out, only one got out. I think everyone else became a personnelist, a career field that lost a TON of slots like a year later, so half of them probably got the boot anyway.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chemystery posted:

ROTC and Academy guys have more money invested in them and Navy doesn't give them the boot as easily

There was a jg at usna when i was there. At some point in swos, he was diagnosed with some food allergy that prevented him from serving on a ship. The navy returned him to annapolis and he served in a quasi casual role for three years. They just sort of forgot about him. Don't know how long he stayed in purgatory, but he was using his time to get his masters at a nearby school. Could be worse I guess.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

I figured I got the best end of the bargain. My friend from OCS ( a prior enlisted MM(N)2 told me I was getting away with murder with my honorable discharge and benefits). Well, either way, thank you guys for the information. If anyone is curious as to the details I would be happy to share the specifics. I guess you all know that I am a noble. Thank you enlisted dudes for your service. You guys have it tougher and frankly, I have nothing but utmost respect for junior enlisted. The poo poo that rolled downhill stopped with them.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You may also be eligible for a VA home loan.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Chemystery posted:

I figured I got the best end of the bargain. My friend from OCS ( a prior enlisted MM(N)2 told me I was getting away with murder with my honorable discharge and benefits). Well, either way, thank you guys for the information. If anyone is curious as to the details I would be happy to share the specifics. I guess you all know that I am a noble. Thank you enlisted dudes for your service. You guys have it tougher and frankly, I have nothing but utmost respect for junior enlisted. The poo poo that rolled downhill stopped with them.

Details would be good, just to have here in case it happens to someone else in the future. (With the draw down, it sound inevitable)

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
What's the name of the hotel in Fort Jackson that relatives for basic training grads stay at?

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Okay details with regard to Chemystery's involuntary separation.

About me: 27 years of age. Two Bachelor of Science degrees from the University of California, Irvine. Contacted an OCS Recruiter at NRDLA summer of 2012. MEPS September 2012 and my package went to the board in October 2012. Designators applied for were 1) Pilot 2) Naval Flight Officer 3) Surface Warfare Officer. January 2013 received new of my selection as a Naval Flight Officer. OCS class date was February 17, 2013. I was considered a "time critical applicant" due to the fact that aviation officers must be NO OLDER than 27 upon date of commissioning. Graduated OCS May 10, 2013 and commissioned as an Ensign in the United States Navy (3 weeks before my 27th birthday).

Naval Aviation Schools Command (Pensacola, Fl): Reported to Naval Aviation Schools Command in Pensacola, Fl on June 1st, 2013 to beging IFS/API and flight school. Before any Aviation based classes could be conducted I was sent to Naval Air Station Corry Station to complete DIVOLC (Division Officer Leadership Course - 1 week). After DIVOLC, I was instructed to attend IFS (Introductory Flight Screening). While in IFS I developed motion sickness and was ordered to see a Flight Doctor. Flight Doctor recommended me to a Human Resources Counsel which then determined that I do suffer from air sickness and should be placed in the backseat of an airplane until motion sickness subsides. After several weeks of puking on myself and hating life, I decided to DOR (Drop on Request) from Aviation training and seek re-designation into Cryptology or any Information Dominance Corp Community. Took the DLAB and DLAT for Russian Language (which I am fluent in). Prepared a package for the "Probationary Officer and Continuation Re-designation (POCR) board on September 2013. The September 2013 board was the end of the fiscal year and results from the Board were released October 1st. For a Probationary Officer and Re-designation Board, I was instructed to choose five designators. One of those five had to be URL (Unrestricted Line Officer). My choices were Cryptology, Intelligence, Information Professional, Supply, and SWO. Board convened and gave me the decision of removal from Active duty and transfer into IRR. As per all "non-selects" I was given 4 months to separate from the Navy. During this time, I was placed as a temporary Public Affairs Officer at Naval Aviation Schools Command and told to start applying to jobs and thinking about my future outside the Navy. Basically, all Officers who fail to select are given 4 months to figure something out. I know the enlisted side is very different and I have regularly chatted with enlisted folks in the smoke pit going through "Enlisted Transitions" due to being dropped/kicked/failed out of AirCrew School or Air Swimmer Rescue School. Those enlisted usually get declassed into undesignated airman/seaman. Unless medical drop, all enlisted get a new rate (or are allowed to continue service).

Trends I have noticed while at Naval Aviation Schools Command: Contrary to popular belief, many people choose to leave flight school or simply can't handle the level of academics required for flight school. As such, there are always a fresh influx of former flight students (all junior officers) who are in the middle of transition. The feeder schools are as follows: 70% United States Naval Academy Graduates, 20% ROTC, and 10% OCS. As such, the students removed from flight training reflect this quota. I can only speak to the past several boards (June 2013 - Sept 2013), but have noticed an interesting pattern emerge in terms of the those allowed to re-designate into another designator and those Officers given separation orders. Those coming from the Naval Academy have the highest re-designation rates due to an incurred commitment. I know of no USNA graduate who failed to re-designate at the POCR Board. With regards to OCS graduates, it is very very difficulty to re-designated. Every one of the current separating officers here at NASC is an OCS graduate (I am simply one among many others). However, as I have come to understand, due to investment of the Navy in that particular individual. USNA graduates have more invested in them (Degree + training) than a simple OCS graduate (12 weeks of a Marine Corp DI telling you to keep pushing).

Assuming one does not get selected, one is give 4 months to separate. An earlier separation date could be requested if so desired. However, the way I saw it, it was 4 months of a job and paycheck to save up and start looking for another option. Furthermore, those separating have to go to TAP classes, have a complete medical exam (separation physical), and dental and blood work done.

From what I have gathered, once the separation orders come in, there will be an official separation date. That date is your last date of active duty. However, if you have any leave saved up, you can take that leave as terminal leave (or sell it back - unadvised since selling back leave is simply base pay that is taxes - no BAH or BAS). TAD orders for house hunting or job hunting can be combined with terminal leave. In my case, my separation date is Jan 31, 2014. I have 20 days of leave saved up and will be given 10 days of TAD for in theory my last day in which I have to show up and work would be Jan 1st.

Currently in the process of dealing this PSD and the Property Office with regard to them paying me to move all the way back to California (address of residence). From what I gathered, the Navy will pay me for my move from OCS (Newport, RI) to NASC (Pensacola, Fl) and then also pay me to move back to my home of residence (California). Once I get the specifics, I can answer to that.

I am sure I missed a few more details, but that is my story in a loving nutshell. Basically, 8 months of AD with an Honorable discharge and all that entails. Ask away if you guys are still curious.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well you're not alone in regards to the air sickness thing. I've got a few friends who made it through the academic portion of aircrew school but couldn't be functional on the jet from puking their guts out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What the hell, doesn't the Navy use that spinning-chair contraption that cures like 90% of airsickness patients?

Edit: You're still winning one over on the system, though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I didn't know you could get TAD for job hunting. How's that work?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I didn't know you could get TAD for job hunting. How's that work?

MILPERSMAN 1320-220, if you are involuntarily separated you get 10 days, retiring 20 days.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have a question about Obamacare's individual mandate and the VA:
So do I have to enroll in something or what? It was explained to me that if I have an issue with health I could just go to a VA hospital now that I'm out. I turn 26 next year so I'm going to be booted off my parents plan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you're not enrolled at the VA, go enroll. Once you're enrolled with the VA you're covered.

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009
I'm in a position now where I actually have to consider buying (some) gear that's better than what I'm issued, is there a better thread to ask random gear questions?

I'll just ask here since who cares: I need a belt with molle on it. Also a sling for an m4. I guess I can look to TFR for advice about the latter. Any opinions? Before I lat-moved I avoided buying my own crap at all costs.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
TFR has a gear thread where you can ask about all that, yes. Plenty of people there can give you recommendations for both.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

mirepoix posted:

I'm in a position now where I actually have to consider buying (some) gear that's better than what I'm issued, is there a better thread to ask random gear questions?

I'll just ask here since who cares: I need a belt with molle on it. Also a sling for an m4. I guess I can look to TFR for advice about the latter. Any opinions? Before I lat-moved I avoided buying my own crap at all costs.

Magpul slings are good. To me the only real feature that makes any sling better then another is a quick adjustment that they have. Its nice to be able to tighten it down when you need to use your hands, and loosen it up when you take it off. I think I have an MS3, or something similar. They do get expensive when you start buying the mounting points, but Google can help you find some deals.

If I'm not riding around in vehicles a lot I prefer to have a bigger belt so I can move a bunch of my kit off my plate carrier. I got one of these on a recommendation from the gear thread: http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/sure-grip-padded-belt-31PB.html It gets expensive when you buy the belt with it, but if you use any amount of gear on it they're way better then anything else I've seen or used.

edit: That belt is cool because the inner belt comes with velcro sewn onto it so the outer belt doesn't roll down, which is the problem I've seen with most other ones.

The best way to find a sling is to just walk around a barracks and ask Joe if they have one to sell. Dudes with expendable incomes blow lots of money on gear they don't need.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 3, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You may want to ask in your specific branch's thread, you'll probably get some noise but the guys closest to your job hopefully have the best ideas on gear.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

mirepoix posted:

Wouldn't hurt to crosspost your sling question to the AR thread as well.

Rossy
Oct 25, 2004
My brother is a Royal Marine and goes away on his first tour of afghan at the end of the month.

I was just wondering what sort of stuff people liked to receive in packages when they were away?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Rossy posted:

My brother is a Royal Marine and goes away on his first tour of afghan at the end of the month.

I was just wondering what sort of stuff people liked to receive in packages when they were away?

Depends on what he's doing and what he can't get a hold of wherever he'll be at. He might not know until he gets there. If he's eating MREs everyday, food and snacks are huge. If he's outside the wire every day and doesn't have access to laundry besides a bucket and some soap, lots of cheap white socks in every package are a godsend. You can wear the same filthy uniforms for an entire deployment and not feel disgusting as long as you have fresh socks.
I'd have monsters mailed out and I'd save them for an easy day (no patrols, stretching poop-burning out over several hours) where my whole morning could be about drinking that goddamn monster.

The three months I spent at a place with a shop and a cafeteria in Iraq, all I really wanted in the mail was TV shows/movies. Camp Leatherneck/Bastion in Afghanistan is probably similarly situated right now, but that's just a guess.

It all depends on where he's at and what he's doing- find out from him yourself as soon as possible once he gets there!

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Is the current Army ASU coat the same as the old Dress Blues coat? In other words, can I be a cheap rear end and sew some crap on my old Dress Blues coat and buy the trousers and other junk and call it an ASU?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mortabis posted:

TFR has a gear thread where you can ask about all that, yes. Plenty of people there can give you recommendations for both.

fat cosplayers is prolly who I would also ask for actual gear questions you will use irl for your irl job

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

genderstomper58 posted:

fat cosplayers is prolly who I would also ask for actual gear questions you will use irl for your irl job

lol

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Chemystery posted:

Currently in the process of dealing this PSD and the Property Office with regard to them paying me to move all the way back to California (address of residence). From what I gathered, the Navy will pay me for my move from OCS (Newport, RI) to NASC (Pensacola, Fl) and then also pay me to move back to my home of residence (California). Once I get the specifics, I can answer to that.

I am sure I missed a few more details, but that is my story in a loving nutshell. Basically, 8 months of AD with an Honorable discharge and all that entails. Ask away if you guys are still curious.
Yes, the DoD will pay for your terminal move back to Cali. If you want to go the DIY route, it may take a while to get paid. On the other hand, if you have a POV and are willing to drive, FL->CA will be a lot of money.

I know you're probably torturing yourself with "what-ifs" right now, but I can tell you that the grass is not greener on the other side. I washed out of my first training pipeline, successfully reclassed, and now pretty much hate my job. Even if you had been able to fight through your airsickness, a lot of the Navy NFO field is in the back of P/EP-3s right now, and if initial fight qual made you airsick you would have been loving miserable in those planes.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yes, the DoD will pay for your terminal move back to Cali. If you want to go the DIY route, it may take a while to get paid. On the other hand, if you have a POV and are willing to drive, FL->CA will be a lot of money.

I know you're probably torturing yourself with "what-ifs" right now, but I can tell you that the grass is not greener on the other side. I washed out of my first training pipeline, successfully reclassed, and now pretty much hate my job. Even if you had been able to fight through your airsickness, a lot of the Navy NFO field is in the back of P/EP-3s right now, and if initial fight qual made you airsick you would have been loving miserable in those planes.

Thank you for this. I do have my own vehicle and was planning on just throwing my seabags in the trunk and driving. Once I get my orders from NSIPS or BOL, I will walk to the property office. How does one request a do it yourself move? Can I simply tell them that I want to move my stuff and need my travel allowance in advance? How does one get an advance travel allowance.

With regards to being an NFO, I am not regretting anything. Frankly, my friends that were told to go SWO are wishing they got my deal.

Edit: Anyone moved from Fl to Ca? How much am I looking at? Could the government give me an advance and ask for it back or is that money permanently released?

Chemystery fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 6, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Two or three nights in hotels, so maybe $200 if you have standards. A rule of thumb for gas is topping off the tank in the morning, then refilling once during the day's drive. I used to drive to Utah from Florida or Oklahoma because it was cheaper to do the entire trip (gas, food, hotels, doing stuff at the destination, and back) than buying airline tickets.

I have no idea on getting an advance, but you'll find more information than you ever wanted to know if you google "DITY move". If you're driving yourself, you owe it to yourself to load up as much poo poo as you can in the car first...you get paid for weight and distance. You'll have to weigh your vehicle empty (technically with a full tank of gas, but nobody in history has ever checked or been caught) and fully loaded. I squeezed 600 lbs into my 2-door Wrangler on my separation move.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 6, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mirepoix posted:

Not sure on your branch and it all depends on the unit anyways. But we are only allowed to use the issued 2 point sling. Absolutely no more 1 points, period. Some people get away with a 3 point but yeah. One of my buddies dropped his M4 when we were fast roping because his 1 point unclipped somehow but that could happen to any sling really. They still make a fuss about it.

Also we can't have poo poo like p-mags and othe little things.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

Christoff posted:

Not sure on your branch and it all depends on the unit anyways. But we are only allowed to use the issued 2 point sling. Absolutely no more 1 points, period. Some people get away with a 3 point but yeah. One of my buddies dropped his M4 when we were fast roping because his 1 point unclipped somehow but that could happen to any sling really. They still make a fuss about it.

Also we can't have poo poo like p-mags and othe little things.

You were fast roping but you can't have p-mags? Where do you work?

I'm not talking poo poo, I'm just kind of baffled...

Cloudy McPouty fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 7, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Cloudy McPouty posted:

You were fast roping but you can't have p-mags? Where do you work?

I'm not talking poo poo, I'm just kind of baffled...

Pretty sure the Army (and later Marines) banned P-Mags outright last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

Carteret posted:

Pretty sure the Army (and later Marines) banned P-Mags outright last year.

My experience is limited to Ft. Bragg, most people here use them. I didn't even know this was an issue.

• Locked thread