Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

fivegears4reverse posted:

... Snake is actually the ultimate representation and parody of the privileged white male who goes through life committing all sorts of domestic violence...

Privileged Snake
A Fallen Legend

Snix posted:

Aren't the events of MGS3 supposed to make the Metal Gear series this huge biblical allusion? I remember reading something about that. Admaska and Eva are quite obviously biblical references, but I'm not versed enough to make any other comparisons, nor am I sure how said references are actually relevant.

Snake Eater did make the Biblical correlations rather clear. I would say that the series draws inspiration from other religious and mythological sources as well. (Egyptian and Norse, most evidently.)

Depending on which text is used, it may be interpreted that King David was the youngest of eight brothers, and Eliab the oldest. If Eli from the MGSV trailer is Liquid, as many suspect, this would be a strong parallel to the "super baby" cloning method described in Metal Gear Solid. Eliab was judged unworthy to rule, while King David famously faced the armored giant Goliath with a slingshot.

Last year I compiled a decent list of some of the religious symbolism in the series. It's not with me right now, but I'll post it when I get ahold of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.
The Boss--who was loved like a religious figure--died in a crucifixion position and the result of her teachings being misconstrued by those claiming to follow her lead to wars and strife.

The Snake inadvertently lead to ADAM's sin when Ocelot was impressed by someone who was practically untouchable breaking down due to torture. He'd been previously not amused by torture because it just was used on the defenseless.

Snake mentions his rib breaking in the Virtuous Mission and joking that may have been what created EVA when talking to Para-Medic (I think it was her, anyways) in a radio conversation.

If you're talking about the entire series, MGS4 blatantly states most of them.

As far as MGSV goes, Zechariah 11:17 describes what people interpret the as a description of the antichrist with "His arm will be totally withered, and his right eye will be blind."

trash lord fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 17, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Big Boss is Noah. He gathers all animals into his stomach, then goes into the box. I mean the ark. It's all right there man.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Snix posted:

Aren't the events of MGS3 supposed to make the Metal Gear series this huge biblical allusion? I remember reading something about that. Admaska and Eva are quite obviously biblical references, but I'm not versed enough to make any other comparisons, nor am I sure how said references are actually relevant.

I don't remember roaring walking tanks in the Bible.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The King James Bible posted:

Woe to the idol shepherd that leaveth the flock! the sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye: his arm shall be clean dried up, and his right eye shall be utterly darkened.

It makes too much sense for !AU Snake Plisskin to be the antichrist.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RatHat posted:

I don't remember roaring walking tanks in the Bible.

"Behold now the Behemoth that I have made with you; he eats grass like cattle.
Behold now his strength is in his loins and his power is in the navel of his belly.
His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are knit together.
His limbs are as strong as copper, his bones as a load of iron."

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
All I want to know is whether the game will go up to 1985. It was BB's best year.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Spermando posted:

All I want to know is whether the game will go up to 1985. It was BB's best year.

Hope BB runs into Dead Cells predecessor, a clandestine organisation known as SOFT CELL.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
IGN interview with Kojima.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D9h-ZCxLb4

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

It's the MGSV Soundbite Legacy Collection. All your favourite vague Kojima quotes together in one package!

Although, am I alone in the feeling that he's implying that the FOX engine might be able to scale MGSV to the Vita? That is one of the features announced for the PS4, right? And "Transfarring" worked great for switching Peace Walker between PSP/PS3.

Rusemaster K posted:

"Moving forward I wanted to have a Metal Gear Solid that you could play on whatever you wanted and that's how we created Peace Walker. Now we're presenting something again that's console-only, but that's not actually true of Metal Gear Solid V. Metal Gear Solid V will have many elements that aren't limited to one console. You'll be able to play the game on whatever you want, whenever you want."

I personally would be very pleased with that. The best thing about Peace Walker was being able to play it at my convenience. (Recently, I was even compelled to replay Portable Ops, just because the handheld is more practical for me than being wirelessly bound to the television screen.)

PS: No offense intended, Griever. Thanks for posting it.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

mortalwombat posted:

It's the MGSV Soundbite Legacy Collection. All your favourite vague Kojima quotes together in one package!

Although, am I alone in the feeling that he's implying that the FOX engine might be able to scale MGSV to the Vita? That is one of the features announced for the PS4, right? And "Transfarring" worked great for switching Peace Walker between PSP/PS3.

I personally would be very pleased with that. The best thing about Peace Walker was being able to play it at my convenience. (Recently, I was even compelled to replay Portable Ops, just because the handheld is more practical for me than being wirelessly bound to the television screen.)

PS: No offense intended, Griever. Thanks for posting it.

Is the transfarring thing a one-time deal only? I've recently just started playing Peace Walker on Vita, because why not. Is it possible to go back and forth between PS3 and PS Vita with the save, or is it a one-way street?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

mortalwombat posted:

Although, am I alone in the feeling that he's implying that the FOX engine might be able to scale MGSV to the Vita? That is one of the features announced for the PS4, right?

No, the feature is the ability to steam video to a Vita and play that way, not actually putting PS4 games on the Vita.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Is the transfarring thing a one-time deal only? I've recently just started playing Peace Walker on Vita, because why not. Is it possible to go back and forth between PS3 and PS Vita with the save, or is it a one-way street?

Transfarring with Peace Walker only officially works PS3->PSP and vice versa. It probably has something to do with the fact that they didn't make an HD version of Peace Walker for Vita, so there's no new code to allow saves to and from a Vita. Anyway, it is possible, you just need a USB thumb drive. Plug the thumb drive into the PS3, and bring up the Transfarring menu on the PS3 version, then hit copy to PSP. It will think that the thumb drive is the PSP. The save will be under PSP/minis(?) Saves under the game tab on the XMB. Plug the Vita in and open Content Manager, find it and copy it over. Reverse for Vita->PS3. Kind of a pain in the rear end, but it's better than nothing.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

marauderthirty posted:

Transfarring with Peace Walker only officially works PS3->PSP and vice versa. It probably has something to do with the fact that they didn't make an HD version of Peace Walker for Vita, so there's no new code to allow saves to and from a Vita. Anyway, it is possible, you just need a USB thumb drive. Plug the thumb drive into the PS3, and bring up the Transfarring menu on the PS3 version, then hit copy to PSP. It will think that the thumb drive is the PSP. The save will be under PSP/minis(?) Saves under the game tab on the XMB. Plug the Vita in and open Content Manager, find it and copy it over. Reverse for Vita->PS3. Kind of a pain in the rear end, but it's better than nothing.

I'll have to give this a shot. Thanks for the info!

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

jerkstoresup posted:

I get the feeling that after Ground Zeroes we'll jump straight into "I'm afraid it's been... 9 years". Although that would leave 9 years of potential story for future games, and it seems like MGSV is bringing the story full circle. It would be nice to see what happens during that time.

See I figured it was the opposite, Kojima is skipping many years' in Big Boss' life so as to limit the potential sequels he can make. He's intentionally painting himself into a corner so he will eventually run out of material, and Konami will let him move on.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I really just want a game in this engine which is basically Red Dead Ocelot. Give me my Ocelot game Kojima!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

TheMostFrench posted:

I really just want a game in this engine which is basically Red Dead Ocelot. Give me my Ocelot game Kojima!

If the user created missions are anything like I'm hoping, maybe that will be a possibility. :ocelot: :getin:

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Having playable Ocelot as either an unlock or a DLC thing would be so great.

edit: but only if you can spin your guns - by literally spinning your precious controller around using 1:1 motion controls.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Griever posted:

edit: but only if you can spin your guns - by literally spinning your precious controller around using 1:1 motion controls.

Use the kinect/PS Eye to :ocelot: at any time and he'll do it in the game.

I'd buy the eye just for that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

jerkstoresup posted:

If the user created missions are anything like I'm hoping, maybe that will be a possibility. :ocelot: :getin:

Kojima's doing this on purpose so people will help him design the WW2 game starring The Boss.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Crowdsourced game design, now on KickStarter!

Also, you are totally playing as Ocelot through all of Phantom Pain. But not even he knows it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Maybe Big Boss hypnotizes himself to think that he is Ocelot being possessed by Big Boss.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Kojima's doing this on purpose so people will help him design the WW2 game starring The Boss.

The coolest thing about this is that it would involve a lot of actual stealth and espionage missions while also having room plenty of shooting.

I wonder what Konami's going to do with Metal Gear if Kojima does completely close the circle. I mean of course there will be a new Rising game since the first was well received and sold well. If they run out of stories to tell in the mainline games though they're going to have to move the story forward with new characters. Either that or pull a Star Wars expanded universe and do a bunch of smaller spinoff games about Miller/Johnny Sasaki/whatever. Everyone talks about remaking Metal Gear 1 and 2 into one big game but MGS1 is already structurally a remake of MG2.

I'm always excited to see what cyborgs and nano-machines will do next. I love how those two things have progressed in the series. The first appearance of the former was the Arnold Brothers cyborgs in Metal Gear 1, just a riff on Terminator. The latter, the nano-machines, first appeared as something they pulled out of their asses to explain how Snake doesn't freeze to death running around Alaaska in a rubber suit in MGS1 and how he could possibly carry a virus that only kills very specific people. Both went on to become what the games are all about.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 25, 2013

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Hopefully the point where Metal Gear can't go on is the point where Konami retires the series.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Snix posted:

Hopefully the point where Metal Gear can't go on is the point where Konami retires the series.

It'll be a shame to see Solid Snake and Big Boss go, but there's always Raiden, with Platinum games right beside him.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

Maybe Big Boss hypnotizes himself to think that he is Ocelot being possessed by Big Boss.

The coolest thing about this is that it would involve a lot of actual stealth and espionage missions while also having room plenty of shooting.

I wonder what Konami's going to do with Metal Gear if Kojima does completely close the circle. I mean of course there will be a new Rising game since the first was well received and sold well. If they run out of stories to tell in the mainline games though they're going to have to move the story forward with new characters. Either that or pull a Star Wars expanded universe and do a bunch of smaller spinoff games about Miller/Johnny Sasaki/whatever. Everyone talks about remaking Metal Gear 1 and 2 into one big game but MGS1 is already structurally a remake of MG2.

I'm always excited to see what cyborgs and nano-machines will do next. I love how those two things have progressed in the series. The first appearance of the former was the Arnold Brothers cyborgs in Metal Gear 1, just a riff on Terminator. The latter, the nano-machines, first appeared as something they pulled out of their asses to explain how Snake doesn't freeze to death running around Alaaska in a rubber suit in MGS1 and how he could possibly carry a virus that only kills very specific people. Both went on to become what the games are all about.

I want a game about Snake and Otacon's adventures between MGS1 and 2.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

That loving Sned posted:

It'll be a shame to see Solid Snake and Big Boss go, but there's always Raiden, with Platinum games right beside him.
Totally, I think we still have a while before Metal gear closes the book, especially considering that the transition between the Big Boss saga and the Solid Snake saga hasn't happened yet. Plus, Kojima has been eyeballing dat potential Boss saga for a while now. And we have no idea where Raiden's saga will leave us, so who knows when the series will be out of content to eat up. I just hope when it is out of content, Konami doesn't try to milk a dead cow. I'd hate to see the Metal Gear series get put on life support, as opposed to dying peacefully.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Snix posted:

Totally, I think we still have a while before Metal gear closes the book, especially considering that the transition between the Big Boss saga and the Solid Snake saga hasn't happened yet. Plus, Kojima has been eyeballing dat potential Boss saga for a while now. And we have no idea where Raiden's saga will leave us, so who knows when the series will be out of content to eat up. I just hope when it is out of content, Konami doesn't try to milk a dead cow. I'd hate to see the Metal Gear series get put on life support, as opposed to dying peacefully.

The only games I want from Metal Gear after 5 is a Co-op game staring the Boss and the Cobras in World War 2 trying to destroy some dastardly Nazi superweapon and remakes of MG1 and 2, but only if they include all the hilarious dumb stuff like Poisonous Zanzibar hamsters and convincing a guard it's really night by hatching an owl and making it hoot.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Spalec posted:

but only if they include all the hilarious dumb stuff like Poisonous Zanzibar hamsters and convincing a guard it's really night by hatching an owl and making it hoot.

The fact that Metal Gear 1 and 2 are in such close canon to the rest of the series is amazing. :allears:

It's no wonder Snake was able to beat Big Boss twice if those were the kind of guards he was hiring. Maybe the Uncle of the owl guard was the one responsible for letting Skullface blow up Mother Base. That would be a great bit of foreshadowing.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's not like the guards injected with Big Boss DNA are that much smarter. "Huh? A noise! ...whose footprints are these? Huh? A noise!" and repeat.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

Big Boss and Snake are supposed to have IQs of, what? 180? Maybe it's because they're just much smarter in comparison to literally every other solider in the series ever.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

IQs are relative, not absolute, so the average intelligence will always be 100. Big Boss and his sons are what we would consider pretty normal, but the average in Metal Gear Land is so much lower compared to our own, these 108 IQ dudes are geniuses.

It's like Idiocracy. Metal Gear: It's got what super soldiers crave!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Everyone talks about remaking Metal Gear 1 and 2 into one big game but MGS1 is already structurally a remake of MG2.

This doesn't have to matter though. It's not like that's referenced in MGS onwards, so any MG1&2 remake could redo and expand on only the important parts of the story but change the actual designs of Outer Heaven and Zanzibarland entirely.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

IQs are relative, not absolute, so the average intelligence will always be 100. Big Boss and his sons are what we would consider pretty normal, but the average in Metal Gear Land is so much lower compared to our own, these 108 IQ dudes are geniuses.

It's like Idiocracy. Metal Gear: It's got what super soldiers crave!

Considering you could lure a guard to wander around a box, following your footsteps for hours in Metal Gear Solid, and these guards were like super GENOME soldiers, I'd say you're right :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

That loving Sned posted:

How hilarious would it be if everything we've seen of Phantom Pain is from the first two hours of the game, then for the time jump it's like "thirty-five years later" and suddenly the game is about Raiden again. :getin:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Neo Rasa posted:

How hilarious would it be if everything we've seen of Phantom Pain is from the first two hours of the game, then for the time jump it's like "thirty-five years later" and suddenly the game is about Raiden again. :getin:

Miller removes his mask and reveals he was Raiden all along and served as the progenitor for the Jack clone seen in MGS2 onwards.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

Raiden's team will be the same team from MGR, and they will reference events from MGR, confusing Metal Gear fans across the world.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Game's set in just about the right time for Snake to give a commencement address at U of Texas, inspiring one particular man, a football player, who decides to change the world as the legendary soldier had instructed them all to do. Yes, he thought to himself on that chilly morning, as the winds swept the gridiron, he would do it. The world would be united beneath his cleated heel.

This football player was Joe Montana :911:

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm hoping that Kojima's recent tweets about the film "Burnt By The Sun 3" are a hint that we'll be seeing the WW2 portion of the timeline sooner than later.

@HIDEO KOJIMA posted:

Starting from the ironic scene of the birth of mosquito in battlefield, and the birth of baby in mid of the ground zero, (cont)

Kojima has said, regarding the choice of the title "Ground Zeroes", that there is "more than one epicenter". I think we'll be seeing the origin stories of more than one character. The above tweet seems suspicious if you consider the circumstances of Ocelot's birth.

Could the missions in GZ/TPP be scattered throughout the timeline? I'm not suggesting canon implementation of time travel, but I am reminded of one of Kojima's visions that he'd had as far back as the creation of MGS2. He wanted to add a system where actions have repercussions over time. Say, if you plant a seed in the ground, and return at a later time, you would be able to note it's growth. I wonder if some unexplained areas in the timeline might be left ambiguous so that actions taken by the player in earlier points in the timeline may actually manifest in the later missions.

Neo Rasa posted:

MGS2 had the prologue follow Solid Snake and the main chapter follow Raiden. In keeping with the themes of the series, at this upcoming point in the timeline it would make sense for MGSV to have Big Boss as the protagonist in the prologue, switching to Gray Fox in the main chapter.

Griever posted:

Hold L1,R1,L2,R2. Tilt SIXAXIS forward and release. :ocelot:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mortalwombat posted:

I want you to know that you are a good person. You should also send this idea to Kojima right the gently caress now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

mortalwombat posted:

You're pretty good! :ocelot::respek::cheers:

• Locked thread