Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mpashanin
Oct 26, 2013

by astral

Drifter posted:

So it doesn't pause, but slows down time significantly in order to issue orders? That is more like a Game of Thrones RPG mechanic than Max Payne, but yeah. It's really cool and adds to the challenge to keep the game moving, so you still have to sweat a bit and not have an eternity to decide what to do.

Sorry for the confusion, the action stops immediately, it does not slow down like in Max Payne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mpashanin
Oct 26, 2013

by astral

The Crotch posted:

Perhaps Total War would be a better analogue?

I always thought the slowing down was a performance issue in this game (wink wink Painkiller)? But pausing fits perfectly. Great analogy!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Obduction's first stretch goal is... Oculus Rift support. Headsets are cool and all but I really don't get this. I can't see most funders upping their pledge unless they have a Rift or plan on getting one.

EDIT: They also appear to be adding localization for the Euros, and allowing the subtitles to be "open source" so others can go translate them into other languages. Memories of bad anime fan dubs come rushing back to me.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 28, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

mpashanin posted:

Hey guys! I am one of the creators of Confederate Express.
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments!

I was wondering, since your game seems to revolve around customizing a party, if the player avatar will be customizable visually. Is everyone going to play with that dude with the vest or can you play a woman, change hair and skin colors, etc?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

monster on a stick posted:

Obduction's first stretch goal is... Oculus Rift support. Headsets are cool and all but I really don't get this. I can't see most funders upping their pledge unless they have a Rift or plan on getting one.

EDIT: They also appear to be adding localization for the Euros, and allowing the subtitles to be "open source" so others can go translate them into other languages. Memories of bad anime fan dubs come rushing back to me.

Eh, its something that should have been in the game from the get-go. Why would you make a modern Myst game and NOT target the Rift? Most games have issues adapting to Rift, but Myst is the. perfect. rift. game.

They just made it a stretch goal because :10bux: The real stretch goal is language support, which is nice and should hopefully bring in some international backers, smart. Opening up their audience.

Both of those are pretty underwhelming though.

mpashanin
Oct 26, 2013

by astral

Lotish posted:

I was wondering, since your game seems to revolve around customizing a party, if the player avatar will be customizable visually. Is everyone going to play with that dude with the vest or can you play a woman, change hair and skin colors, etc?

Every character is uniquely animated, complete with all movement directions, death/injury/sickness animations and all weapons in hands.
So far it is not possible to customize given character's appearance due to info above, but we are planning on adding that feature as one of our stretch goals.
The dude with the vest is named Cooper.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Seems to have worked for Gone Home at least (And Cyan have had some obsessive overseas fans in the past - I've seen fan circles selling unofficial Japanese translations of the Myst novels at Comike - they get put next to the same people selling unofficial translation guides to the Marvel UK Transformers comic from the 80s if that gives you any ideas of the atmosphere there)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, the ROAM guy has issued an apology for misunderstanding the situation and handling it badly.

mpashanin posted:

Every character is uniquely animated, complete with all movement directions, death/injury/sickness animations and all weapons in hands.
So far it is not possible to customize given character's appearance due to info above...

What about palette-level customisation for hair/skin/clothing colour?

That said, it's certainly understandable why it'd be limited given your detail levels.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

MikeJF posted:

Well, the ROAM guy has issued an apology for misunderstanding the situation and handling it badly.

Unfortunately for him, what he said in those two posts is dangerously close to libel.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

There aren't any damages.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

epitasis posted:

There aren't any damages.

Hence "close."

But it might could be argued that the original posts could sway people away from buying How to Survive, believing it to be a cheap ripoff of someone else's work and not wanting to let them benefit financially from it. It's kind of stretch, though, so I doubt 505 Games will be interested in pursuing any legal action, they'll probably just accept the apology and leave it at that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

mpashanin posted:

So far it is not possible to customize given character's appearance due to info above, but we are planning on adding that feature as one of our stretch goals.
The dude with the vest is named Cooper.

Nice animated baby avatar.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

mpashanin posted:

Hey guys! I am one of the creators of Confederate Express.
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments!

I wanted to say congrats! Backed with 22 days to go! I think you'll have no trouble hitting a significant number of your stretch goals.

mpashanin
Oct 26, 2013

by astral

Davincie posted:

Nice animated baby avatar.

I just opened it in photoshop and it started talking to me :O

Cheekio posted:

I wanted to say congrats! Backed with 22 days to go! I think you'll have no trouble hitting a significant number of your stretch goals.

Thanks man, that means a lot. We will work hard to deliver.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

mpashanin posted:

Thanks man, that means a lot. We will work hard to deliver.

The game looks fantastic, but how are you going to keep up that level of animation fidelity throughout? Does having zombies allow you to cut down on having to do hundreds of variants on animated sprites for different angles or do you have some other system?

mpashanin
Oct 26, 2013

by astral

Pyradox posted:

The game looks fantastic, but how are you going to keep up that level of animation fidelity throughout? Does having zombies allow you to cut down on having to do hundreds of variants on animated sprites for different angles or do you have some other system?

The process is heavily automated. We have completed the entire demo with 31 animated characters in just 4 months. One character that moves/shoots/dies in 12 directions takes just 3 days to animate.
We are more concerned with making everything work together well and not look like something that was generated via 3D engine.
Hand made is our motto

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

mpashanin posted:

The process is heavily automated. We have completed the entire demo with 31 animated characters in just 4 months. One character that moves/shoots/dies in 12 directions takes just 3 days to animate.
We are more concerned with making everything work together well and not look like something that was generated via 3D engine.
Hand made is our motto

Oh yeah, one more question: Who's "we"? The kickstarter names one dev, but two people are clearly in the video. You two looks like brothers but all the materials only reference one person.

mpashanin
Oct 26, 2013

by astral

Cheekio posted:

Oh yeah, one more question: Who's "we"? The kickstarter names one dev, but two people are clearly in the video. You two looks like brothers but all the materials only reference one person.

Great question.
We basically hand-pick the talent after a ton of scouting on the internet. Every one is a contract-based employee except legal help and accounting, but we would LOVE to hire those guys full-time.
Unfortunately so far this is not possible. But one can dream!!11

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mpashanin posted:

Great question.
We basically hand-pick the talent after a ton of scouting on the internet. Every one is a contract-based employee except legal help and accounting, but we would LOVE to hire those guys full-time.

You're actually just one dude but you recorded yourself twice sitting in different chairs and then edited the videos together, confirm/deny?

Speaking of zombies, Dead State posted their October update and Rebuild is about to reach their first stretch goal of 35K with 60 hours to go. I thought they'd get there sooner.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 29, 2013

mpashanin
Oct 26, 2013

by astral

Megazver posted:

You're actually just one dude but you recorded yourself twice sitting in different chairs and then edited the videos together, confirm/deny?

Speaking of zombies, Dead State posted their October update and Rebuild is about to reach their first stretch goal of 35K with 60 hours to go. I thought they'd get there sooner.

Haha, I wish it was that simple.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

mpashanin posted:

Great question.

Does this mean its going to be easier to farm out certain areas of development if you guys start to meet stretch goal? I would had to see that getting more money would mean it would take longer for the game to come out.

mpashanin
Oct 26, 2013

by astral

BexGu posted:

Does this mean its going to be easier to farm out certain areas of development if you guys start to meet stretch goal? I would had to see that getting more money would mean it would take longer for the game to come out.

We will address that question publicly, but we will NOT postpone the release date because of stretch goals or added features. All extra money will go towards hiring help. We are not naive and there might be delays regardless, but we will make sure that stretch goals are not the reason.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Megazver posted:

Speaking of zombies, Dead State posted their October update

After State of Decay gave me a taste of zombie survival/resource management/base-building, I'm really excited right now to see how Dead State turns out. From the looks of it, management and survival will play an even more critical role, which is exactly what I want.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
'The Girl and the Robot' is up.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2039811773/the-girl-and-the-robot

You can definitely see the Ico inspirations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Orzo posted:

'The Girl and the Robot' is up.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2039811773/the-girl-and-the-robot

You can definitely see the Ico inspirations.

It looks nice, but the title makes me cringe. It's very generic-sounding. But perhaps it's just me?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The first thing I thought of was that Malice tech demo for the original Xbox back in the day.

e: this looks...okay i guess

unarmed1618
Jul 20, 2010
Warning: Shameless self promotion-

I'm attempting to kickstart a game called Planet Burn
The idea is that it'll be a first person 3d adventure/sandbox game where you crash land on a junkyard planet and you have to find a way to survive.
TLDR: Build stuff (Guns!) out of EVERYTHING.

And I don't really have much to show for it yet, but it's in the works.

Here's a link to the kickstarter page-
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/328777376/planet-burn-alpha

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

unarmed1618 posted:

The idea is that it'll be a first person 3d adventure/sandbox game where you crash land on a junkyard planet and you have to find a way to survive.

I give points for honesty, but you really, really should ask the mod before just plugging your kickstarter.

Plus wow, all I see are pictures of car parts.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 29, 2013

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Well as you say, you don't have much to show. You appear to have no video unless my browser is acting up, no tech demo, no concept art of how the game would look. Nothing for me as a backer to have a reason to back you other than a promise you're going to make something cool :shrug:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah dude you really need to have something to show. Right now I see a few kinda bad SketchUp renders and promises but nothing to really back it up. This is your first project and you're already planning a multiplayer do anything build anything 3D survival action adventure game with loot and merging planets and such? Do you realize how massive of an undertaking a project even a tenth of that scale is?

I mean don't get me wrong it's a neat idea but that's all it is right now and for a Kickstarter to succeed (especially for someone not established) it needs to be a hell of a lot more than that. Also what does someone even get out of the Kickstarter succeeding? You're only shooting for an alpha and then...?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

RadicalR posted:

I give points for honesty, but you really, really should ask the mod before just plugging your kickstarter.

You don't need mod approval to post your project in this thread.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Oh, I thought that posting Kickstarter projects without vetting was a big deal. Whoops.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

unarmed1618 posted:

Have you ever made a game before?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RadicalR posted:

Oh, I thought that posting Kickstarter projects without vetting was a big deal. Whoops.

That's posting projects in their own thread, I believe.

nerox
May 20, 2001

unarmed1618 posted:

This looks like Ideaman: The Kickstarter.

What are you even planning to use the $2250 for?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nerox posted:

This looks like Ideaman: The Kickstarter.

What are you even planning to use the $2250 for?

Indeed:

quote:

To create an analogy with existing games, the concept includes Minecraft style item combination/crafting, a set of objects as ridiculously wide as that of Gary's Mod, an ambiance similar to that of Borderlands, and a loot-generating engine akin to the old Diablo 2.

:goonsay: that's some videogames.txt right there.

Sorry dude but you'll never make 1/10th of the game you're describing.

"I've never made a game before but I'm going to make a game that's better than 3 AAA games put together, on a budget of $2K"

loving :lol: Even on a budget of $2M you'd end up with a lovely tech demo that wouldn't be more fun than just playing Minecraft and Borderlands seperately.

You don't even have a video? :stare: You should delete your kickstarter right now. Seriously.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 29, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

"I've never made a game before but I'm going to make a game that's better than 3 AAA games put together, on a budget of $2K"

The two thousand is just for an alpha slice, to be fair. :shepicide:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

The two thousand is just for an alpha slice, to be fair. :shepicide:

And that's all it'll ever be, and nobody wants that.

:siren: Seriously $20 for an alpha?! Are you high!? :siren:

That's beyond absurd. The only game on the planet I'd pay anywhere near $20 for a loving alpha is half-life 3, just so I could post spoilers on the internet. Alphas are worth nothing, maybe $5 at most as part of a big Humble Bundle of multiple alphas, and its mostly about raising money for charity anyways.

You're not charity, sorry. Nobody's gonna just give you money for poo poo. You need a product. Odds are your final game wouldn't even be worth $20. I buy games on Steam on sale for $5-$20 regularly. Full, polished, AAA games.

quote:

Estimated delivery: May 2014

I'm loving dying over here. :haw:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 29, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

No, but you guys don't understand, it's a ~*~sandbox~*~, there's this huge, magical untapped market! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Rimworld by Tynan Sylvester is 3 days from the end of the Kickstarter, and has accumulated a staggering $192,000 CAD; the initial goal was $20,000 CAD, so he's been backed almost 10x more than he was looking for. He's been busy at work making updates and changes based on the feedback of early testers and others, and shares this at the end of his most recent update:

quote:

Not many people have played this one yet, but there are already fun stories appearing. One fellow got attacked by snipers and withdrew inside his base to confront them at close range. One of his colonists used Molotov cocktails indoors, igniting the base and one of the snipers. The sniper ran burning down a hallway into a nearby room containing three unarmed non-combat colonists, who proceeded to beat him to death.

:black101: I can hardly wait to jump in and experience my own unique way of seeing my colonists murdered by hostile wildlife or starving to death in some horrific space storm.