Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Barudak posted:

If you have he wears the sty

Nitpick: I think "sty" means what he claims is under the bandage, not the eyepatch itself. A stye is an infection on your eyelid, Apollo told Athena he had one of them to stop her asking questions.

That might've been what you meant and I've read it wrong :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Haha just kidding they'll never make any future games :(

If nothing else, Japan will absolutely get more games. "Gyakuten Saiban 5" did fantastically over there. "Twelvth best-selling game to date this year" well. It's Capcom's second-best-selling release this year behind Monster Hunter 4. There is no loving question Japan will see more games. Especially given the fact that they now have reusable 3D assets (thus bringing future development costs down dramatically for what was already a fairly low-cost, tightly-budgeted series), there is no reason for Capcom to not continue to capitalize on the popularity of the series and characters.

The real question is whether or not anyone outside of Japan will see a single one of those products. Localizing these games doesn't come cheap and requires actual artist and programmer time. And, to be completely honest, while I've ended up loving it, having played it I can now see why Capcom might've hesitated to bring this over in the first place. There are places where the localization crew was clearly struggling to make this game fit into the atmosphere of the previous titles (though this wasn't really their fault, per se).

Suspicious Cook posted:

Something I really want to know about now is what Kristoph's black locks were all about. The common theory was originally that he was guarding his secret so tightly, he wouldn't have confessed even if Phoenix had evidence to present but thanks to Pearl, now we know they're for a subconsciously guarded secret. What trauma is he suffering besides his own insanity?

I think one has to do with the other; whatever Kristoph was hiding contributed to his becoming unhinged. I mean, it's clear that Athena's locks have pushed her to the absolute, toe-over-the-edge precipice of madness, and the worst ending implies she takes up an exciting new career as a wandering catatonic on the street if you fail. I think, at this point, black locks are a good code for "this person is either already clinically insane or is in very real danger of becoming so unless you intervene now". I'll be curious to see if they bring them up again in the future.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyone else notice how (smallish spoilers for the whole game) not a single case went to the third day of court? The first and last cases were one day each and the others all only took two days. That's a series first, isn't it?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Yep. Totally threw me for a loop that case 5 was done and dusted within a day. Frankly, it was an awesome way to play on expectations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Strange Quark posted:

Anyone else notice how (smallish spoilers for the whole game) not a single case went to the third day of court? The first and last cases were one day each and the others all only took two days. That's a series first, isn't it?

I don't think any of the cases in AA3 did either.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Really, case 4 and 5 are pretty much one super-case split into two. I think between both cases you have the standard three days of court and two days of investigation that you'd get in a standard final case.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I think it's been a while since you've played the rest of the series. Not a single case has gone for 3 days since the first game. All the others have been 2. That said, Cases 4 and 5 in this one were unusual, but it's mainly because they were one long connected case.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Never mind how the Prosecution can pick and choose when a motive has to be important for them, too (the first game's second case comes to mind).
I think Dual Destinies has actually been the best game in the series at providing motives for the defendants, at least judging by the first four cases. There's been a vaguely plausible motive in all of them.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it's been a while since you've played the rest of the series. Not a single case has gone for 3 days since the first game. All the others have been 2. That said, Cases 4 and 5 in this one were unusual, but it's mainly because they were one long connected case.

Huh, guess you're right. It's weird how the three-day rule got brought up in DD, even if it was just a off-hand remark in 5-3, if it really hasn't been relevant to the game for so long.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...Huh, I just figured out a possible reason why the jury system didn't pan out, at least in universe. The whole idea after all was based off how, in the absence of evidence, neutral jurors should be enabled to decide the guilt of someone by what is available. In the dark age of the law, where results at any cost are all that matter, would the jury system really work on average?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I like to imagine that Phoenix was pushing for the jurist system for the single reason of screwing over Kristoph. Once that was done with, he was like "Eh, whatever, do what you want. I'm gonna go back to being the master of all pianos."

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

SpaceDrake posted:

I think one has to do with the other; whatever Kristoph was hiding contributed to his becoming unhinged. I mean, it's clear that Athena's locks have pushed her to the absolute, toe-over-the-edge precipice of madness, and the worst ending implies she takes up an exciting new career as a wandering catatonic on the street if you fail. I think, at this point, black locks are a good code for "this person is either already clinically insane or is in very real danger of becoming so unless you intervene now". I'll be curious to see if they bring them up again in the future.
What what? there's more than one ending? how do you see the alternates?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Chaltab posted:

What what? there's more than one ending? how do you see the alternates?

Failing at certain key points will get you alternate endings based on them, due to who ends up guilty. Like mentioned earlier, the 'hostages die' one.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Okay those bad endings are just chilling. 1-5 and 2-4 are litterally nothing next to this. Good heavens, writers, what the gently caress...

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Dual Destinies has actually been the best game in the series at providing motives for the defendants, at least judging by the first four cases. There's been a vaguely plausible motive in all of them.

Yes, but I would argue the motives and circumstances behind previous games' cases were more complex and thought out, even if the prosecution doesn't spell out the motive at the end of every case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I felt like each case had fewer characters than past titles, so they couldn't push the whodunit aspect as much (where motive is an important clue). Maybe when I'm not on my phone I can make a more detailed argument, but that's the impression I got, at least.

Maybe it's the novelty, or the better instrumentation, but I'm addicted to the new Cornered music. Just the right amount of pep and pressure. Then again, Iwadare's always great.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I was talking about the motive the prosecution came up with for the defendant, rather than the motive the real culprit actually had. 1-2 is probably the best example - there was never any real reason given why Maya or Phoenix would want to murder Mia.

I'd disagree about the whodunnit aspect, though. Out of the original trilogy I'd say the identity of every culprit was obvious from pretty much the moment they were introduced, with the exceptions of 2-2, 2-4 and 3-5. The challenge has pretty much always been proving that culprit did it rather than identifying them.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I was talking about the motive the prosecution came up with for the defendant, rather than the motive the real culprit actually had. 1-2 is probably the best example - there was never any real reason given why Maya or Phoenix would want to murder Mia.

Well, at least here, it's a plot point that someone is pushing for the trial to convict the defendant, motive or due process be damned.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoilers for case 3, investigation day 2: Yup.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

My main question at that scene was where she even got the glue or anything.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

Apollo and Phoenix always keep industrial strength hair gel with them at all times.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Astro Nut posted:

She probably got Fulbright to throw some down.

E: ^^ I like that explanation more. :v:

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
The comment Apollo made about (DD case 3 spoiler) how whoever smashed Gavin's statue must have felt immense relief made me laugh out loud.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Apollo and Phoenix always keep industrial strength hair gel with them at all times.

:objection:

Phoenix's hair is naturally spiky!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god, I didn't realize this until it was pointed out, but 5-5 also references 4-4 in that when Apollo says "Evidence is everything", it's the exact same thing Kristoph said when he was on the witness stand. That's why it was in red.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I just encountered the phrase "hipster doofus".

This game is everything I ever wanted.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I just encountered the word "YOLO".

This game is everything I ever wanted.

Edit: (Case 3, Day 2 minor spoilers) "Stage costume-related evidence taken in classic ends-justifies-the-means style!"

Oh, sweet jesus, this game is beautiful! :allears:

... But does that mean they've been lugging that thing everywhere they go? I was never clear on how the evidence works in-universe. I kind of assumed they just had photos of the evidence, since they never take it from the crime scene, and it just seems inconvenient to carry it everywhere. Except if the evidence was pocket-sized or something.

Edit 2: I love the anime cutscenes. They're cool as hell, and I really like the imagery, though why are they so tonally different from the main game? It isn't a problem or anything, but you have the main game, which is your standard goofy-as-hell murder mysteries, then you have the cutscenes, which have little blood-splattered girls, people with static-y faces, people blankly standing over a dead body, a potentially killer walking dazed with hands wet with blood. I guess there's no other way you can really do this, though I couldn't help but notice the tonal difference.

Edit 3: (case 3 day 2 quote spoilers :shrug: ) "Okay, all that's left now is to reach out to the truth."

Is that a reference to what I think it's a reference to? This truly is a magnificent game. :allears:

Snix fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 30, 2013

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Strange Quark posted:

Oh my god, I didn't realize this until it was pointed out, but 5-5 also references 4-4 in that when Apollo says "Evidence is everything", it's the exact same thing Kristoph said when he was on the witness stand. That's why it was in red.

It goes deeper than that. throughout that entire scene Apollo has his arms crossed and his head tilted slightly to the right, with an infuriating smirk repeatedly crossing his face. He was actually taking on Kristoph's mannerisms perfectly and it was so fantastically unsettling.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Snix posted:

Edit 2: I love the anime cutscenes. They're cool as hell, and I really like the imagery, though why are they so tonally different from the main game? It isn't a problem or anything, but you have the main game, which is your standard goofy-as-hell murder mysteries, then you have the cutscenes, which have little blood-splattered girls, people with static-y faces, people blankly standing over a dead body, a potentially killer walking dazed with hands wet with blood. I guess there's no other way you can really do this, though I couldn't help but notice the tonal difference.

Bones is too dull a studio for Ace Attorney. Should've gone full Gainax.

Or Trigger now, I guess.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Case 4.

Aura Blackquill. Everything about about her. :allears:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So y'know Dual Destinies was a great game and all but Phoenix, you gonna tell Apollo Trucy is his sister yet? No? Really? A...alright then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

So y'know Dual Destinies was a great game and all but Phoenix, you gonna tell Apollo Trucy is his sister yet? No? Really? A...alright then.

He's waiting for Franziska to give him the card Maya gave her and for AAI2 to be released in English by Capcom.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

He's just waiting for the right moment.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just got to the bit where you read Maya's letter and meet Pearly in case 5.

Pearly in 3D is so amazing, the animations are perfectly carried over and the only thing that could have made it better is Maya being here with her.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, we know she's fine. And she'll have her burgers. :unsmith:
You know what's missing to the serie, though? Being able to jump back to any TO BE CONTINUED point directly after finishing the case.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Iceclaw posted:

You know what's missing to the serie, though? Being able to jump back to any TO BE CONTINUED point directly after finishing the case.

Go to Episode Select on the main menu and you can.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Snix posted:

The short answer to this is "Japan," really. You have to do a phenomenal amount of stuff in a manga, movie or TV show to even get a "12 and Up" rating over there, and having torrents of blood and crazy poo poo like that in a Japanese Manga aimed at 8-year-old children is really common. Detective Conan's very first manga features someone getting decapitated on a roller coaster, complete with neck stump gushing blood and female acquaintance of Conan being next to the body and screaming in terror (and getting over it surprisingly quickly). You have a lot of stuff that does the whole "anime comedy blended with :stare: moments", I guess kind of like how ABC Family Comedies would have their "very special episodes" about drug use that were totally serious.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Does anyone know how much DLC has been released for the Japanese version?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
The Japanese DLC's only have four costumes (Phoenix's classic suit, Phoenix's Feenie sweater, Apollo's goofy jacket, and Athena's school outfit), the DLC case with the mustache whale, and three Quiz episodes (not released outside of Japan).

... To me it doesn't look like they're going to release anything else, which is a shame. I would have liked more costumes. :(

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
So, finished the game. Whole game spoilers ahead.

The Fulbright -> Phantom reveal was up there with Matt Engarde in terms of final case twists, although they could have done without making him suddenly act overly generous from Case 4 onwards. The Phantom himself was ridiculously generic, but then, that was probably the entire point, considering the case was clearly about Apollo and Athena. One thing that stood out to me, however, was how the Phantom broke away from the trend of the final villain being petty and revenge-driven. Von Karma, Engarde, Dahlia, and Kristoph all acted out of a desire for revenge, whilst the Phantom is (presumably) simply acting on orders.

Anyhow, Apollo came into his own with this game, and it honestly feels like the sort of passing of the torch that Apollo Justice should have been, instead of being Apollo Justice: Cardboard Cutout: Starring Phoenix Wright. Athena's storyline felt a little too close to a combination of Maya's and Ema's for comfort, but eh, she's still a decent character, so I'll let it slide.

Kinda sad we probably won't be seeing Aura again, though.

And for anyone still interested in completion times: 15:58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Considering how little screen-time Pearl and Maya got, it's drat near screaming for a post-case 5 DLC that features them.

• Locked thread