Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

RandomPauI posted:

Hannah ourselves?

Hannah was a character in another CYOA, Moments: A Game of Consequences. She was an early NPC that our goon hive mind divided on. We chose not to work on our friendship, and goons proceeded to poo poo up the game for the next year and a half asking when they would get a second chance.

Anytime a new woman was introduced, "IS IT HANNAH!?"

It never was. Please keep in mind that there is no 'Playing the field' in a society like the one we are in. Most marriages are arranged, we are lucky to have a known variable in this. We might not be so lucky again.

gently caress, beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
So I have a lousy sense of proportion and direction. Good thing I am not the part of Enkidel navigating.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Here's a question for dio: if we want to ask a question that could easily offend or otherwise annoy someone, we usually have a mini vote to make sure. However sometimes we end up asking questions that would probably seem a little strange.
Ishmael particularly seems a little annoyed by some of our questions
I was wondering, in game terms, can questions that don't require a minivote have long term effects on how people think of us?
Do we have to worry about Ishamel thinking we're an idiot for asking a million questions about inane details, or are q&a sessions always going to be benign unless we have a minivote?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

ShotgunWillie posted:

For everyone not voting A, remember Hannah. Do you want to Hannah yourself again? We'll never hear the end of it.

Are you implying that there was anything wrong with turning into a gay depressed goon?

We're already married to Snarls anyway. Looks like marrying him got us into the line of Zepa.

Ishamal. What was the meaning of that weird rear end symbol we saw on the obelisk?

"A storm is coming. Prepare for years of hardship." Assuming these are divine commands. What would you recommend we do?

Will Snarls have a longer life from us writing his name on the Obelisk?

When we pass out, we apparently see visions. Is there a safe way of accessing this without passing out and bashing our head?

Tell Ishamal about the last time we saw the visions and the differences between this and the previous vision. Get his opinion, why do they sound rushed. What's going on up there?

When you and Tudiya use the Words of Command, is it YOU who creates the fire? Or do you summon a Melachim who creates the fire for you?

What did Tudiya yell when he was charging the minotaurs?

Are you a Melachim like Azzazel? Just retired?

Give us your advice on how to handle Barkof and Lullaya.

Tell us about Zebanetha and who he is, what he is like, what his goals are.

What price does magic cost? What price do you and Tudiya pay to use it?

What benefits does marriage bring in society?

Are monsters like Eyescream attracted to magic, or the use of magic?

Why are there no legends about Azzazel?

Is our link with Snarls unique? If so, how can we improve this? What can we do to strengthen this mind link? Can we have a mind link with anyone else, or is it because we pledged ourselves to Snarls on the Obelisk?

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 30, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

^^^Sweet map!

Yeah, the level of Hannah obsession (especially considering she was barely in the game) was pretty strange. Goons were able to interact with female characters in the Tunnels of Moscow CYOA without losing their poo poo, so I'm unsure why they got so weird in Moments. But yeah, I can understand the desire to marry our character off simply to be done with it, lest 'Hannah Syndrome' strike again.

Anyways, one last question: So...what exactly was up with that fruity drink you gave me that time?

Thanks for answering like a bajillion questions, Diog. :sun:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

RandomPauI posted:

Why didn't I ever run into eyescream while living at the village by the ocean?

It was implied before that the sea of our village was incredibly bountiful--likely due to Asherah--compared to the sea we encountered in our manhood test. I assume that the absence of eye-scream could also be attributed to Asherah's presence. Meaning that no eye-scream is going to eat Asherah's tasty villagers. Those are for Asherah to eat.

edit: Yeah, I would also like Ishy's take on this question question.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

When we pass out, we apparently see visions. Is there a safe way of accessing this without passing out and bashing our head?

Tell Ishamal about the last time we saw the visions and the differences between this and the previous vision. Get his opinion, why do they sound rushed. What's going on up there?

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 30, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Doesn't that Hannah thing then sound like the sort of thing that has nothing to do with this situation? :confused: Is the concern that we're going to 'miss our shot' at marriage to Naomi then spend the rest of the game trying to, I don't know, win her back or something? Kill her husband? Or maybe we'll start seeing Naomi in disguise every time another woman shows up?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Once we get married we can start neglecting our wife in addition to our mom. Come on, lets make some ladies miserable.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

!!!

This. We really need to learn some sort of deep meditation techniques.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

B/E

No, don't marry Naomi. We are going to be a badass adventurer and explorer and live for centuries, not to mention whatever storm is on the way and dammit we shouldn't tie ourselves down when we are sixteen.

Also, let's make some arrows. The spikes are resilient enough that we can fish them out and reuse them from whatever we kill. I feel like nice arrowheads would be difficult to make in this time period.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Tell Ishamal about the vision we had after making fire if we haven't already. I don't think we have.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ralith posted:

Tell Ishamal about the vision we had after making fire if we haven't already. I don't think we have.

This +1

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
And whales. We always see whales in the sky.

Edit: and good answer on Snarls. Azzazel said he could sense the 'Sentiment' in Snarls. What does that mean?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 30, 2013

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

maxhush posted:

1 - A
2 - F

Also voting for this.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Vavrek posted:

!!!

This. We really need to learn some sort of deep meditation techniques.

When we're done ask Ishamal to punch us very hard in the head.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crudus posted:

No, don't marry Naomi. We are going to be a badass adventurer and explorer and live for centuries, not to mention whatever storm is on the way and dammit we shouldn't tie ourselves down when we are sixteen.
:goonsay:

Girls are yucky and so are families. No family means time for WoW Eve adventure!

Absum
May 28, 2013

Tudiya posted:

The demons remain. And their hunger is eternal... they grow hungrier and as they do, men grow weaker."

Is the above true, and can something be done about it if so?

Do the Kadmonim also have a darker skin?

El, king of the world. Azzazel translated this already? Or do you think he actually said something else?

Labaras meets him in the desert, so he's in at least one.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Absum posted:

El, king of the world. Azzazel translated this already? Or do you think he actually said something else?

Labaras meets him in the desert, so he's in at least one.

Just want to check.

He has literally 1 line in that legend. We spent a fuckload of time hanging out with the best storyteller in Zepath, and we heard 1 line about him. Bit strange no?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
1. A
2. B
It's just as well that we get married as soon as possible, we should prioritize making up with Lullaya though since this will probably piss him off even more. A club would be a really good backup weapon for us since it's quite easy to learn and means that we can specialize with the bow.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Girls are yucky and so are families. No family means time for WoW Eve adventure!

A girl liked me once so let me obsess over her. Never mind that I have many positive character traits including being above average in appearance and intelligence which will help me to attract many women over the course of my sure to be interesting and well traveled life. There might be many fish in the sea, but I'm happy to settle with the one swimming in my father's fish tank.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy
The only woman we need in our life is our mommy.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crudus posted:

A girl liked me once so let me obsess over her. Never mind that I have many positive character traits including being above average in appearance and intelligence which will help me to attract many women over the course of my sure to be interesting and well traveled life. There might be many fish in the sea, but I'm happy to settle with the one swimming in my father's fish tank.

Screw marrying our childhood sweetheart. Let's go to the tavern, start peacockin' and throwin' out sick negs. Gotta keep the pussy flowin' bro.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
How about we just go to Tudiya, since in this culture arranged marriages by fathers are the norm, and ask him who a suitable match would be?

That way we get an idea of what Tudiya is thinking, see if Hannah 2.0 is the best match, and see if he is ok with it all in one go.

Asking Ishamal to do our dirty work and arrange it just seems like something a boy would do. Lets meet this head on, like a man, and see if there are better options.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Paradise Gained?: Let's Play House in the Early Bronze Age.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crudus posted:

Paradise Gained?: Let's Play House in the Early Bronze Age.

We need to get a limp and a knowledge of medicine before we can do that.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

jazzyhattrick posted:

We need to get a limp and a knowledge of medicine before we can do that.

We've already got the schizophrenia, autism and aversion to maturity down

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Okay so i skipped over a few posts and missed the playing the field arguments earlier, but really finding a different love interest isn't my primary reason for not wanting to pursue Naomi. I just think that marriage would not be Endikel's priority right now. Finding out what Tudiya has planned for us, building our relationship with our mother, or solving some of the meaning behind our cryptic visions/our mysterious lineage are way more important.

Yeah we can probably do all that simultaneously, but it's possible adding another relationship to maintain will complicate future votes even further.

Crudus fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 30, 2013

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Crudus posted:

Okay so i skipped over the playing the field arguments earlier, but really finding a different love interest isn't my primary reason for not wanting to pursue Naomi. I just think that marriage would not be Endikel's priority right now. Finding out what Tudiya has planned for us, building our relationship with our mother, or solving some of the meaning behind our cryptic visions/our mysterious lineage are way more important.

Yeah we can probably do all that simultaneously, but it's possible adding another relationship to maintain will complicate future votes even further.

I understand that we all got worried because Diog was hinting that our mom would die while we were off playing adventurer, but I think we did all we need to. We showed back up, and have already spent like a million years with her. I say we just send her a card on mother's day and don't pressure her into a home too early. Seriously, who wants to hang out with their mom this much?

Naomi is a much more solid relationship investment. She's not weird and needy, as far as we know. And she is likely to live a lot longer than our mom.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
1. C - Talk it over with Naomi first, it takes two to make a marriage and we'd best not end up springing an unpleasant surprise on her.

2. G - I'd be interested in making an "axe" out of the spikes - basically set the spikes in a club somehow, but cluster them all up at the top facing one way. It'd probably require a little more skill to use than a basic spiked club, but it'll be easier to carry around and should do horrific damage if it connects. Maybe - I'm not exactly a primitive weapons expert.

Questions for Ishmael, not sure if anyone else asked them yet:

- Did you undergo the trial when you were young?

- Do all cities have the same manhood trial? If not, how do they differ?

- Do all cities have a similar obelisk/monument/etc. set up by their founder for men of their line to inscribe their names upon?

- Is there any particular mystical reason why the obelisk needs to be signed? Or is it purely for cultural reasons alone?

- Does signing the obelisk cause anything special to happen to either us, the obelisk, or even the city?

- How much land DID Zepa claim anyhow? What were the limits of his claim, theoretical and practical?

- Do you know if the obelisk reveals itself only to people it chooses to reveal itself to, or did we just get lucky (or did Tudiya try to rig the odds in favor of us finding it)?

- Do you know by what magic or other powers the obelisk was created and empowered?

- Were you ever married? Do you have a living wife?

- Marriage - worth it? (This ought to be interesting)

- Do you have any descendents, for that matter?

- What is best in life?

I could probably think of better questions, but I've got a bit of a headache for now.

Edit:

Jester Mcgee posted:

We showed back up, and have already spent like a million years with her.

Approximately one night, most of it spent with her unconscious and much of it unconscious ourselves = a million years. Jester Mcgee is the worst son.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 30, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

quote:

Are there any stories before of a man/woman besides Enkidel trying to live their lives not as a man, but as a melachim or a god?
"There have been. They were greatly punished. Any man who would be a king must meet El's High Priest in Baitel to ensure it does not happen again."

quote:

So what's a good gift to give a lady in Zepath that say's you're sorry?
"Flowers"

quote:

Would there be any way to strengthen the mental connection with Snarls? Well, besides spending quality time playing and training with him, since that's already assured to happen.
He shakes his head.

quote:

How/when did you and Tuidya meet?
"As you know, I lived here long before he was born."

quote:

Our village had a protector god calles Smis, what do you think of the theory that he was actually a rebranded Smattas, who was watching out for us as best he could with Asherah there?
"I think it is certainly possible."

quote:

Are people well and truly damned once then become cannibals, what if they do it while slaves of a demon, with no knowledge of El? What I mean is it possible that my Uncle Jorah can be saved like I was?
"What do you mean by damned?" He asks "I don't imagine your friend would be welcome in Zepath, but it is possible he might be able to escape."

quote:

Are there any other main demons to look out for other than Asherah and Quetzatl?- do they ever take human form like Azzazel did and try to decieve people?
"There are many. They take whatever form pleases them, sometimes to deceive."

quote:

In addition to Aish, did you know Belu and/or Azarah?
"Which ones? The ones on the Monument? There have been many."

quote:

wrote 'Enkidel, son of Tudiya by Pledge - Snarls' on the obelisk. 'by Pledge' is for people who marry into the line of Zepa, right? Do you think there'd be a problem if I married outside that line, or would my adoption count the same way?
"Those who were adopted, and there have been some, simply wrote their names. I wont tell Zepa of you dont." He gives a small laugh. "Tudiya knew what he was doing when he left you there, I would not worry about it."

quote:

Why didn't I ever run into eyescream while living at the village by the ocean?
"Something probably kept such horrors away. Perhaps other greater nightmares?"

quote:

Ishamal. What was the meaning of that weird rear end symbol we saw on the obelisk?
"It meant a pledge of marriage in an older writing no longer much in use."

quote:

quote:

quote:

"A storm is coming. Prepare for years of hardship." Assuming these are divine commands. What would you recommend we do?
"I am afraid that is for you to figure out, Boy. If you believe you have received divine wisdom, then you did, not I."

quote:

Will Snarls have a longer life from us writing his name on the Obelisk?
"No, the list is only a record."

quote:

"Probably not."

quote:

When you and Tudiya use the Words of Command, is it YOU who creates the fire? Or do you summon a Melachim who creates the fire for you?
"We did it, Melachim do not answer to the beck and call of Men and have plenty to do besides lighting camp fires." He laughs and take a a sip.

quote:

"El, King of all the world."

quote:

Are you a Melachim like Azzazel? Just retired?
At this, Ishamal roars with laughter then finally says "Retired? Yes. A Melachim like Azzazel? No. There comes a time when a man has slain all the beasts he might slay and done all the mighty deeds they care to, yet do not perish and they tire of life. Zepa's Monument told you what to do then, did it not? Well, I tire of struggles but I am FAR from done with life! So here I am."

quote:

Give us your advice on how to handle Barkof and Lullaya.
"Give them space and no cause to hate you further. Lullaya is likely to join the Mighty Men alongside his uncle when he ages and some wounds, much like a broken nose, never heal."

quote:

Tell us about Zebanetha and who he is, what he is like, what his goals are.
"He is El's High Priest in Zepath. His duty is to see El's teachings are obeyed, to teach them, to run the temple and tell the Priesthood if Zepath's king fails in his duties. You might not talk to others by prayers-" you told him about that "but Zebanetha can and will warn the King if danger comes upon other cities if he must go to aid them in dire times, or call for aid here if needed."

quote:

What price does magic cost? What price do you and Tudiya pay to use it?
"It will burn you up, your flesh and give you great tiredness and hunger. You are still young Boy and there is little to burn, don't throw yourself upon a bonfire."

quote:

What benefits does marriage bring in society?
" Happy brides, happy husbands, happy children and peace among nations."

quote:

Are monsters like Eyescream attracted to magic, or the use of magic?
"The monster you encountered hungers for the flesh of men above all other things."

quote:

"Because those who spurned him had little tale to tell and did not wish it known they met a creature they feared a demon. Those who were friendly with him, did as he wished and did not tell others they had met."

quote:

Is our link with Snarls unique? If so, how can we improve this? What can we do to strengthen this mind link? Can we have a mind link with anyone else, or is it because we pledged ourselves to Snarls on the Obelisk?
"It is not unique and I imagine it will strengthen in time."

quote:

Anyways, one last question: So...what exactly was up with that fruity drink you gave me that time?
"It closed your mind to Kings and Mighty Men. It will last for many years still."

quote:

Edit: and good answer on Snarls. Azzazel said he could sense the 'Sentiment' in Snarls. What does that mean?
"He pretended to be what some men imagine demons to be, to tempt you. Your love for your dog had no value to him."

Tudiya posted:

The demons remain. And their hunger is eternal... they grow hungrier and as they do, men grow weaker."

quote:

Is the above true, and can something be done about it if so?
"Those far older and wiser than you have debates for a long time. And still do."

quote:

Do the Kadmonim also have a darker skin?
"Not so dark as the men of Athar, or you who are lighter still, but they are darker than the men of the cities of Baitel."

quote:

What day were you born on?
Ishamal laughs. "On one of them."

Ishamal drinks, coughs, makes a small joke, changes the subject or otherwise avoids giving you an answer on the following questions:

quote:

What was Ashera doing on the land before Zepa drove her/him to the sea?
Was Ashera always a demon?
How did demons come to be in the world?
What's Asherahs deal anyway, have you meet him before?
If El created everything, how did the Demons come about?

quote:

I have some questions for our own memory. A couple weeks ago, I went through the compiled Book of Names, copying out descriptions of the children of Asherah and El (now there's a thought) to find points of possible similarity. (Been busy with school since, and still.)

I would like to remember a brief bit about Faram the Clam, Garal, and Ophama. Enough to get a sense of what their role/characteristics were in their stories. A few sentences each?
We will come back to this when I get home tonight. I need to check my notes.

quote:

Oh! Diog.

When we played the Flute you gave us an image of something like a Melechim in a ship. How literal is that? Did we see that?
No. It was artistic fluff meant to mirror the soothing calm of the beautiful music.

quote:

Here's a question for dio: if we want to ask a question that could easily offend or otherwise annoy someone, we usually have a mini vote to make sure. However sometimes we end up asking questions that would probably seem a little strange.
Ishmael particularly seems a little annoyed by some of our questions
I was wondering, in game terms, can questions that don't require a minivote have long term effects on how people think of us?
Do we have to worry about Ishamel thinking we're an idiot for asking a million questions about inane details, or are q&a sessions always going to be benign unless we have a minivote?
Your questions can influence him to a small degree, but he generally seems pleasant enough when answering you and has not shown much in the way of offense. The amount your questions effect his disposition towards you is minimal.

If it appears I skipped your question and it was not satisfactorily answered elsewhere and you think I missed it, I apologize, please repost it.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 30, 2013

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Diogines posted:

"There have been. They were greatly punished. Any man who would be a king must meet El's High Priest in Baitel to ensure it does not happen again."

There's a goal worthy of a story. Unless we decide to get married and create a family which sounds super fun and not the one way I'd think goons could end this story.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 30, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Oh, hey, right.

Diogenes posted:

When he asks you why you picked Snarls and admit the answer was not his nose or survival skills, he roars with laughter and says that "El grants fools with luck so his children are less busy".

What did we say? :confused:. I know I picked Snarls because he was a thinking and largely autonomous individual, a reasoning creature likely to provide a wider ranger of aid than any one tool, quite intelligent and with the natural instincts and cunning of animals.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Outrail posted:

There's a goal worthy of a story. Unless we decide to get married and create a family which sounds super fun and not the one way I'd think goons could end this story.

Fears that getting married is literally a ball and chain that will end the story seems overblown.

Not only did Ishmael specifically point out that getting married won't really restrict our freedom of action too much, consider this: Tudiya and all previous kings of Zepath (and his Mighty Men to boot) were very definitely married and yet at the same time were not only allowed to, but in fact EXPECTED to go wandering into the wild every so often to seek danger and adventure. Hell, Tudiya didn't even let having a small kid slow him down - he bought the little tyke right out into the action and the adventure!

This, plus the fact that Diog is not a jackass, strongly suggests that we could get married to whoever the hell we wanted pretty much and still get to adventure and be a big ol' hero. Unless we specifically hunted down a bride who very specifically doesn't want us setting one foot out of Zepath ever in our lives, I guess.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Theglavwen posted:

Oh, hey, right.

What did we say? :confused:. I know I picked Snarls because he was a thinking and largely autonomous individual, a reasoning creature likely to provide a wider ranger of aid than any one tool, quite intelligent and with the natural instincts and cunning of animals.
There were many reasons posted. Relatively few of them had to do with Snarl's ability to help you.

quote:

Did you undergo the trial when you were young?
"The trials of my youth were rather different but ended with much the same lesson that Zepa's monument shared."

quote:

- Do all cities have the same manhood trial? If not, how do they differ?
"The trials in other cities are much the same."

quote:

- Do all cities have a similar obelisk/monument/etc. set up by their founder for men of their line to inscribe their names upon?
"Many do, but not all. Not every city has a mighty founder such as Zepa, some are simply places men lived and which grew over time."

quote:

- Is there any particular mystical reason why the obelisk needs to be signed? Or is it purely for cultural reasons alone?
"So future generations would know who came before."

-

quote:

Does signing the obelisk cause anything special to happen to either us, the obelisk, or even the city?
"No."

quote:

- How much land DID Zepa claim anyhow? What were the limits of his claim, theoretical and practical?
"All land north and all land south. The neighboring cities were built many years later by his offspring.

quote:

- Do you know if the obelisk reveals itself only to people it chooses to reveal itself to, or did we just get lucky (or did Tudiya try to rig the odds in favor of us finding it)?
Ishamal shrugs.

quote:

- Do you know by what magic or other powers the obelisk was created and empowered?
"Zepa built it."

quote:

- Were you ever married? Do you have a living wife?
"No... married, no."

quote:

- Marriage - worth it? (This ought to be interesting)
"How can an old man like me answer a question for the young? Figure it out for yourself."

quote:

- Do you have any descendents, for that matter?
Ishamal takes a long drink from his cup and looks into it darkly for a long moment. "I had a son, once. Such matters are my own concerns, not yours, I do not wish to discuss him."

quote:

- What is best in life?
"A belly full of drink, a breath full of laughter and the arm of a good friend on your shoulder."

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Tomn posted:

This, plus the fact that Diog is not a jackass, strongly suggests that we could get married to whoever the hell we wanted pretty much and still get to adventure and be a big ol' hero. Unless we specifically hunted down a bride who very specifically doesn't want us setting one foot out of Zepath ever in our lives, I guess.

Plus we'll get the thrill of reading and bickering over all of Diogenes semi-joking guilt trips! "You could stay out here and explore that next mountain range, but you've already founded two new civilizations and wrested a band of slaves from the jaws of Ogar, isn't that enough? Your wife and child are still waiting faithful and alone for you three months away back in Zepath; it's already been a year and a half, your kid probably won't even recognize you!"

I suppose my biggest question for the people voting A is: why? I mean, that's cool if A's what you really want, but is it because that's what seems right or best for the character, or because getting married is some sort of happy-ending requirement? Personally I just don't see why Enkindel would want to get married. He had a brief fling with someone several years ago; he may very well still bear feelings for her, but he's hardly spent any real time with her. I mean, surely we've all had strong feelings for and relationships with people growing up, but how many of us translated that into "must marry at the first opportunity", particularly after several years of cool affections and distance? Throw in the uncertain current situation and future aspirations of travelling, demon-fighting, whatever, why does Enkindel want to immediately book it to marry Naomi? Pretty much no future goals we've ever discussed have involved 'maintaining a stable home-life here in Zepath.'

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tomn posted:

Unless we specifically hunted down a bride who very specifically doesn't want us setting one foot out of Zepath ever in our lives, I guess.

Well you know what they say, you always marry your mother...

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Well you know what they say, you always marry your mother...

Great, now you've broached the idea...

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Diogines posted:

"Give them space and no cause to hate you further. Lullaya is likely to join the Mighty Men alongside his uncle when he ages and some wounds, much like a broken nose, never heal."

Sure, let's go marry Lullaya's former betrothed, that he is no longer betrothed to because we busted his face in, on a whim because we had a mutual crush when we were 10 for one summer, then decided to give up on it. That will go over well and makes perfect sense.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

If Naomi is cool, then marriage could actually free us up a lot. Having a kick-rear end partner to handle internal politics for us, as well as keeping our interests in check while we're off adventuring, would be a major asset. Since she was raised amidst power, it seems reasonable to suggest she could be quite capable at doing both of those things.

A loving wife couldn't hurt Enki either, from an emotional perspective. And hey, maybe a grandkid to dote on down the line would give Jalitha something to focus on besides our impending doom.

Of course, the above only holds true if she's an active, independent sort of gal. Which is why we need to go talk to her and find out what her personality is like, as well as what she expects from marriage.

In any event I expect there'll be a courtship period and we'll need to figure out how to provide a dowry (unless it's reversed in this culture, and she brings the dowry to us?).

Hey Ish, are dowries a thing here? Are we expected to provide one, or does the bride bring one to the husband instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

Plus we'll get the thrill of reading and bickering over all of Diogenes semi-joking guilt trips! "You could stay out here and explore that next mountain range, but you've already founded two new civilizations and wrested a band of slaves from the jaws of Ogar, isn't that enough? Your wife and child are still waiting faithful and alone for you three months away back in Zepath; it's already been a year and a half, your kid probably won't even recognize you!"

I suppose my biggest question for the people voting A is: why? I mean, that's cool if A's what you really want, but is it because that's what seems right or best for the character, or because getting married is some sort of happy-ending requirement? Personally I just don't see why Enkindel would want to get married. He had a brief fling with someone several years ago; he may very well still bear feelings for her, but he's hardly spent any real time with her. I mean, surely we've all had strong feelings for and relationships with people growing up, but how many of us translated that into "must marry at the first opportunity", particularly after several years of cool affections and distance? Throw in the uncertain current situation and future aspirations of travelling, demon-fighting, whatever, why does Enkindel want to immediately book it to marry Naomi? Pretty much no future goals we've ever discussed have involved 'maintaining a stable home-life here in Zepath.'

I think the whole getting married-thing is more of a thing we're expected to do now that we're a man and less of a "oh god enkidel needs a bride because we're a lover not a fighter"