Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This remains the best idea I've seen:

...aircraft carriers are out because of complexity. It doesn't matter if you find a guy who can run the reactor, and have him teach the next generation, the power plant will eventually need refueling. The better idea would be to get to where one of the Iowas are moored as museum ships if you wanted to go over the top. They might be giant diesels, but most of them are still seaworthy thanks to a lapsed Congressional edict, and I'd assume most of them are still mostly analog in regards to control. Easier to find a guy who knows diesel engines, even if he'd have never worked on something as huge, the principles are the same.

Keeping Iowas afloat costs millions of dollars and requires an immense amount of highly specialized industrial labour. Even museum ships are a pain to run because of constant need for maintenance. And you won't be able to get your new home to the dock when the sea water inevitably eats it way through its untreated belly.

Using smaller boats would present the same kind of challenges, just on a proportionately lesser scale. In particular keeping anything larger than a wooden barge operational requires a constant supply of industrial-grade lubricants in loving huge quantities, alongside tons of fuel per day, all supplied through heavy machinery. Also something tells me that knowing how to repair a diesel engine on a truck would do gently caress all about your ability to keep a large boat running.

I can't read the text about fuel processiong or whatever that's supposed to be, but let it be said that while unrefined fuel (and putting stuff into barrels isn't a refining process) has been used throughout history, the undesirable volatile particles of crude oil and other organic mixtures cause rapid deterioration of boiler tubes and other parts. Which means fuel leaks and air filled with explosive gas (again, unrefined fuel has strong tendency to produce dangerous vapors).

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your only hope is to clear a mid size island I think and pray your own dead don't kill you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also, I wonder how much food you would be able to produce using primitive means on a bloody barge. Based on agricultural research in pre-industrial societies, one family usually needs at least a hectare (2.5 acre) of arable land to sustain itself and provide enough surplus for non-agricultural labour. And that's when the family can afford decent nitrogen-rich fertilizers.

:spergin:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BIG HEADLINE posted:

...aircraft carriers are out because of complexity. It doesn't matter if you find a guy who can run the reactor, and have him teach the next generation, the power plant will eventually need refueling. The better idea would be to get to where one of the Iowas are moored as museum ships if you wanted to go over the top. They might be giant diesels, but most of them are still seaworthy thanks to a lapsed Congressional edict, and I'd assume most of them are still mostly analog in regards to control. Easier to find a guy who knows diesel engines, even if he'd have never worked on something as huge, the principles are the same.

16 inch battery fire on a horde, that would be awesome

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I always thought it was a little dumb they decided to make it so the TV show universe was wholly unfamiliar with the concept of zombies. It seems like such a natural thing to tell a story about that they'd have more than an impromptu name for it when it really happened.

If by "they" you mean "the creators of nearly every single piece of zombie fiction ever" then yeah.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Has this been posted yet?

http://imgur.com/r/thewalkingdead/4LdrLgI

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

BIG HEADLINE posted:

From an architectural standpoint those living quarters are retarded. Having them elevated is a good idea. But having the columns going off in random rear end angles is just silly. On a river they're about as structurally sound as tooth picks.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
nevermind, missed the point like an idiot

e: but seriously there's no optimal strategy for survival in the walking dead universe. Its all just useless putting off of inevitable awful death. Anything else is wish fulfillment fantasy.

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 30, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mexcillent posted:

e: but seriously there's no optimal strategy for survival in the walking dead universe. Its all just useless putting off of inevitable awful death. Anything else is wish fulfillment fantasy.

The most existentialist of television shows.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I would immediately begin working on my childhood dream of a treehouse city.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Another character calls them Geeks from the Telltale game, giving the reason like "Carnival geeks they will eat anything." I don't know if that's the same reason Glenn does.

Speaking of which, Season 2 of that is "Coming soon" and if anyone missed Season 1, go buy it for $6 on the Steam Sale and binge through it. I enjoy the show, but that series is the best thing in the franchise. You will more than get your six bucks worth.*

* Do NOT accidentally buy the Activision game.

Yeah the Walking Dead Telltale game is awesome and worth giving a try, season 2 will hopefully be out this year.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

redweird posted:

I always thought that in TWD universe zombies didn't exist in popular culture, which is a reason why the outbreak was so devastating.

That's what Kirkman said and I think the writers have said that's the case for the show as well.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

zoux posted:

If by "they" you mean "the creators of nearly every single piece of zombie fiction ever" then yeah.

This is why my only zombie apocalypse plan is "As soon as I see the living dead, start screaming 'ZOMBIE! ZOMBIE!'" It's a silly cliche that no one calls zombies zombies in zombie stuff, and I'm not having that in my apocalypse. :colbert:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

A Big Dark Yak posted:

This is why my only zombie apocalypse plan is "As soon as I see the living dead, start screaming 'ZOMBIE! ZOMBIE!'" It's a silly cliche that no one calls zombies zombies in zombie stuff, and I'm not having that in my apocalypse. :colbert:

My rear end would be on an oil platform in the gulf spending my days deep sea fishing and practicing Desalination which i learned on Dual Survival :v:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mexcillent posted:

Only because of other people and general post-apocalyptic survival issues. The zombies are just a side-issue. Which this season finally "gets," and is so much better for it (since you're less dependent on plot device and character stupidity in that way).

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Mexcillent posted:

As long as everyone learns to sleep in handcuffs we can have a perfectly functioning society.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Is there a good reason anyone can think of why they don't sleep with their cells closed with the key locked in their cell? For drama, I guess?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Darko posted:

Only because of other people and general post-apocalyptic survival issues. The zombies are just a side-issue. Which this season finally "gets," and is so much better for it (since you're less dependent on plot device and character stupidity in that way).

I reckon the first season got it too, with the women having to cook and clean and Shane beating the everliving gently caress out of Carol's husband. It was all about how these people were going to have to live together with no rules at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That DICK! posted:

Is there a good reason anyone can think of why they don't sleep with their cells closed with the key locked in their cell? For drama, I guess?

Because of the psychological implications of such? A lot of people seem to assume people have infinite resistance to psychological pressure and would make perfectly rational survival based decisions even after two years in a living nightmare.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

zoux posted:

Because of the psychological implications of such? A lot of people seem to assume people have infinite resistance to psychological pressure and would make perfectly rational survival based decisions even after two years in a living nightmare.

Do you not lock the door to your house or apartment? Setting up a little space you control access to, particularly while you sleep, is normal human behavior. It's not just zombies, they bring strangers to the prison and let them live there. I lock the door when I stay in a hotel, and I don't think it's caused any meaningful "psychological implications" other than a good night's sleep.

The reason they don't lock the doors is because it would have been a waste of time to show how the zombies got past the locks (zombies are inevitable, there's nothing you can ultimately do to stop them). But it's not a statement about the psychology of survival.

Dr. Wright
Dec 26, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Do you not lock the door to your house or apartment? Setting up a little space you control access to, particularly while you sleep, is normal human behavior. It's not just zombies, they bring strangers to the prison and let them live there. I lock the door when I stay in a hotel, and I don't think it's caused any meaningful "psychological implications" other than a good night's sleep.

The reason they don't lock the doors is because it would have been a waste of time to show how the zombies got past the locks (zombies are inevitable, there's nothing you can ultimately do to stop them). But it's not a statement about the psychology of survival.

You really can't see the difference between locking the door to a hotel room and locking yourself in a prison cell? I think any reasonable person can see how that might be something survivors would resist, especially when they felt relatively safe in the prison already. The message of the first few episodes has been that the group has grown too comfortable in the time lapse between seasons, and part of that is sacrificing maximum safety for a less restrictive life.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Dr. Wright posted:

You really can't see the difference between locking the door to a hotel room and locking yourself in a prison cell?

Seems about as different as having your house burglarized and being horribly mauled to death by an undead monstrosity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, but I don't lock the door to my room.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to think that people would lock their doors, but then again it's not entirely unreasonable that they wouldn't, either. So what's the point of this nitpick?

Dr. Wright
Dec 26, 2005

That DICK! posted:

Seems about as different as having your house burglarized and being horribly mauled to death by an undead monstrosity.

That's a fair point, but it also ignores that they've been living in relative safety for a number of months without incident. Why is it so unbelievable that they would have given up some of their safety measures in favor of comfort? I'd say a pretty major theme in the show revolves around whether its possible to return to any sort of normalcy in their post-apocalyptic world. Believing that you're safe enough to sleep without locking yourself in a prison cell is believable, even if it might not be smart.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, if your door is unlocked maybe you can get out and get away. If it's locked and a zombie horde develops outside, well hope you like your new 5x7 home forever.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah, but I don't lock the door to my room.

Do you invite strangers to live in your house with you? Because the people who live in that prison do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Do you invite strangers to live in your house with you? Because the people who live in that prison do.

Jokes on you because my bedroom door doesn't even have a lock!

Dr. Wright
Dec 26, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Except they've been living together for several months now, and from the scenes we've seen the new people have integrated into the group pretty fully to that point? Pretending that this is just a group of complete strangers is being dishonest about the current situation on the show.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Dr. Wright posted:

You really can't see the difference between locking the door to a hotel room and locking yourself in a prison cell? I think any reasonable person can see how that might be something survivors would resist, especially when they felt relatively safe in the prison already. The message of the first few episodes has been that the group has grown too comfortable in the time lapse between seasons, and part of that is sacrificing maximum safety for a less restrictive life.

It's also never occurred to them to consider the worry of someone just dying in their sleep. All they've seen is traumatic death; it's probably easy to forget people knock off for no reason. If only Andrea or Milton were around to remind them.

Also you guys aren't thinking practically enough. A prison cell is not like a hotel room. A prison cell locks from the outside. Granted they have toilets in cells but I doubt they're using them. They probably have some sort of central facility that they'd need to be able to reach in the middle of the night. And in most of the dangerous situations they can be in, stuck in a cell that you can't get out of could be more harmful than helpful.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dr. Wright posted:

Except they've been living together for several months now, and from the scenes we've seen the new people have integrated into the group pretty fully to that point? Pretending that this is just a group of complete strangers is being dishonest about the current situation on the show.

Do we know how long the new characters have been there? Judging by the episode where Rick followed the woman back to her campsite, they're still letting new people in (even if that one didn't work out).

I mean, look, I'm not saying that it's unreasonable that they didn't lock their cells. I was responding to zoux's claim that there would be "psychological implications" if they did lock their cells. My point is that people are able to psychologically cope with locking themselves into their house/apartment/room at night as evidenced by the fact that it's a completely common behavior.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Do we know how long the new characters have been there? Judging by the episode where Rick followed the woman back to her campsite, they're still letting new people in (even if that one didn't work out).

I mean, look, I'm not saying that it's unreasonable that they didn't lock their cells. I was responding to zoux's claim that there would be "psychological implications" if they did lock their cells. My point is that people are able to psychologically cope with locking themselves into their house/apartment/room at night as evidenced by the fact that it's a completely common behavior.

Yes. Bob had been there a week in episode 1. He was the most recent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's different if it's someone locking you in the room from the outside, and you can't get out until someone comes around to let you out in the morning. There are only so many keys and I doubt they have a bunch of copies. People like to use the bathroom at night, or maybe just even get out and walk around.

Also what if the guy with the keys trips and drops them down a drainpipe? It happens.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

verybad posted:

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to think that people would lock their doors, but then again it's not entirely unreasonable that they wouldn't, either. So what's the point of this nitpick?

That's a fair point and I mostly raised it as a "hey isn't that wacky!" sort of thing, but it kind of gets at my chief issue with the show. Obviously if everyone did the optimal anti-zombie poo poo at all times there wouldn't be a show, and hell even with them half-assing it there probably wouldn't be if there weren't magical respawning zombies. But the writers of this show simply do not write themselves into a corner enough, and don't know how to handle it eloquently when they do. One of the great things about Breaking Bad is that the writers said gently caress it and just constantly wrote themselves into corners, and some of the best writing of that show grew organically as the writers worked just as hard as Walt would to get themselves out of that corner.

A good example of where this sort of organic writing is lacking is with the plague victims. If this show was less afraid of backing itself into a corner, I'd be freaking the gently caress out over so many main characters being quarantined. Instead of what was probably the intended effect of "Oh poo poo, Sasha? Oh poo poo, little girl?! OH poo poo, GLENN?!" it's "drat, Sasha's gonna die. Oh, there's a little girl in there now, maybe not. Oh, Glenn is in there? Pshh. Most of them are gonna be fine, with maybe one character who has had speaking lines biting it." I'd be more than happy to eat my hat and see everyone in that quarantine zone die horrible deaths on Sunday.

I understand that one of the reasons why this sort of organic writing could never happen is because of the comics these things are established on. But gently caress, there must come a day where the quality of a TV show that beats out fuckin' Mad Men and Breaking Bad takes precedence over how faithful it is to the comic.

Yes yes they've already diverged from the comic quite a bit I don't care shut up.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

zoux posted:

Also what if the guy with the keys trips and drops them down a drainpipe? It happens.

The debate has been T-Abled

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

That DICK! posted:

I understand that one of the reasons why this sort of organic writing could never happen is because of the comics these things are established on. But gently caress, there must come a day where the quality of a TV show that beats out fuckin' Mad Men and Breaking Bad takes precedence over how faithful it is to the comic.

Yes yes they've already diverged from the comic quite a bit I don't care shut up.

I don't think you realise quite how far they've diverged from the comic - pretty much the only similarities at this point are the names of things/places/people. I agree with most of your complaints, actually, but I don't think the fact that the show is based on another piece of media is the root cause.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Maybe if they wanted to secure their quarters they could use some kind of dog-leash contraption. Personally I would find it kinda weird if say my bed were right next to a huge opening so that passers by could just see my butt as I'm sleeping so I would do the dog-leash thing they do on the fence and also maybe have something behind the bars for some private time that I might conceivably want to have ever.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

zoux posted:

It's different if it's someone locking you in the room from the outside, and you can't get out until someone comes around to let you out in the morning. There are only so many keys and I doubt they have a bunch of copies. People like to use the bathroom at night, or maybe just even get out and walk around.

Since they can lock the doors with a bit of chain and a bolt, this point is moot. The idea of it is to keep zombies from wandering in and chomping your throat while you sleep, not prevent yourself from escaping.

You don't even need a padlock, you're not trying to keep people out, just zombies. A short length of chain and a bolt+nut or a hooked piece of metal or a u-bolt or something would make the door locked enough to prevent zombie incursion. Again, a bit of chain and a carabiner clip or something secures a door versus zombies but allows humans to pass through freely. Also, the doors are all bars and stuff so it doesn't get stuffy in the cells! No excuse.

Seriously, you're in a prison with strong doors and gates everywhere, take advantage of the infrastructure you're already in. Partition off the cellblocks with a bit of chain/bolt combos and you stop the zombies from building to critical mass.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
All this zombie realism aside, these three episodes have been pretty good. I look forward to watching this season all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm shocked that people are discussing the prison so much without mentioning that it seems to be from the 20s or something. Surely prisons don't still have bars for doors and a big set of keys for letting people in and out, right?

• Locked thread