Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Walton Simons posted:

More of an 'is it worth it?'. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is £9 on Steam at the moment. I liked the first one a lot. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the setting and the exploration but thought a few of the puzzles were a bit obscure. I've seen middling reviews of A Machine for Pigs and was wondering if it was worth the time and money. I know £9 isn't a lot but I hate to overspend and you can pick up anything more than a year or two old for less on PC these days.
Machine for Pigs is different in the sense that it does away with a lot of gameplay elements. There are no puzzles to speak of, and you don't even have an inventory. At most you will have to carry something from the next room and plonk it in place.
The setting is different too, Dark Descent was all about this Lovecraftian gothic horror while Pigs has a more modern "industrial nightmare" vibe to it.

As for "is it worth it", I personally think it is. It's very linear, all about the atmosphere and the ride to experience the story, but the writing is just seriously so good that I didn't mind the simplicity. It gets seriously disgusting and disturbing, and sure as hell made me poo poo plenty of bricks. I still think Dark Descent is the better game, but I didn't regret dropping a handful of euros on Pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleScapegrace
Mar 29, 2013
I've been looking for a good sci-fi game that isn't Mass Effect. Preferabbly on the PC, but I can also do PS3. What've you got for me?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

UncleScapegrace posted:

I've been looking for a good sci-fi game that isn't Mass Effect. Preferabbly on the PC, but I can also do PS3. What've you got for me?

I recommend Binary Domain - it has some mild RPG elements, epic boss fights, and good sci-fi (closer to Blade Runner than anything else); there is some weirdness (perhaps due to translation) but overall it's a lot of fun. Developed by the Yakuza guys.

Also Deus Ex of course, either the latest (Human Revolution) or the original (which I have not played but everyone who has played it sings its praises.)

If you don't mind going a bit retro (like, 15 years), and like adventure games and some system twiddling, Blade Runner is a classic. It's not on any game service so you'd have to find a physical copy :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UncleScapegrace posted:

Vanquish on the PS3, it's a drat good sci-fi third-person shooter. Also seconding Binary Domain - It's pretty much Big Dumb Action Movie: The Game in all the best ways :allears:.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

UncleScapegrace posted:

If you're up for a fever dream crossed Warhammer 40K crossed with Deus Ex in space, get E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

Also since I'm loving Driver San Francisco at the moment are there any good other good car chase/street race games around? Needs to be on PC, realism is nice but not necessary and same goes for good wheel support. I've played the GTA games. I'm tempted by the Need for Speeds Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit. Any good? Other suggestions are very welcome since the extreme rubberbanding in NFS mars the experience for me.

You won't believe it, but Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the most exciting driving game on the market. That it's going to have Occulus Rift support is icing on an already tasty cake.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I actually have that lined up to play next!

Thanks for those suggestions, looks like I'll pick up Burnout Paradise at some point and Amnesia when it's a touch cheaper.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cantorsdust posted:

If you're up for a fever dream crossed Warhammer 40K crossed with Deus Ex in space, get E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy.

Why not just go straight to Warhammer 40k and get Space Marine?

Take your chainsword to some Ork boyz! :orks101:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is 5 euroes in steam now. Is it worth it?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dicky B posted:

Burnout: Paradise has very satisfying driving
The driving in Burnout Paradise felt completely horrible and floaty to me and I'd never recommend it to anyone who enjoys Driver: San Francisco.

NFS: Hot Pursuit on the other hand was alright, I thought. The way the cars handled wasn't too offensive and making other drivers crash generally felt satisfying enough.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ManOfTheYear posted:

It is fantastic. A bit sticky and buggy out of the box, but you can either look past it or get the big community patches, which are great.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why not just go straight to Warhammer 40k and get Space Marine?

Take your chainsword to some Ork boyz! :orks101:

Well, he did ask for good sci-fi games, so...

In case you haven't played them, the first Deadspace game is a modern classic for sci-fi, and the second is a good followup.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any games where I can manage/build/drive monorails (not trains)?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

Get it, install the community patch, and enjoy what's probably the best freeform RPG/FPS since Deus Ex.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

ManOfTheYear posted:

It's a good videogame although you'll just want to noclip through the sewer level because it's awful. Don't play Malkavian (or Nos) on your first playthrough.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are the best mods to play with friends in Garry's Mod? Don't need to be massive games, two to four players suffice.

Morbus, TTT and Pirate Ship Wars are fun, what else is out there in the jungle?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Mans posted:

What are the best mods to play with friends in Garry's Mod? Don't need to be massive games, two to four players suffice.

Morbus, TTT and Pirate Ship Wars are fun, what else is out there in the jungle?

I spent hundreds of hours on Spacebuild, which is a gamemode where you start on one of many planets, and the shtick is that the gamemode gives you the tools to construct spaceships with functioning life support systems, artificial gravity, movement (good movement, not just thrusters controlled by the numpad). You can mine asteroids, terraform planets, blow up ships, strip planets of their atmosphere, loads of crazy stuff. What you need varies greatly from server to server though, so I would recommend finding a well-populated Spacebuild 3 server with an ok ping, and looking at their Message of the Day for that server's specific mod pack. The gamemode also requires a very small understanding of WireMod, all you really need to know is how to wire an input to an output. It can be a difficult mod to get working, but the scale and possibilities of it are fantastic.

Another fun, more casual one is Deathrun, where a small group of players (Reapers) spend the match activating traps laid before the rest of the players, who are running a sort of lethal obstacle course in order to reach the room the Reapers are in, and murder them. Can be rather dull if you die on the first obstacle and have to spectate the rest of the match, but it's pretty relaxing if you're just hanging out with some friends and chilling alongside the game.

The third big timesink for me in Garry's Mod was DarkRP, which is a horrible, awful guilty pleasure of mine. The premise is that the players are inhabiting a city (theoretically) performing various jobs (Mob boss, policeman, gun store owner, drug dealer, etc.) Almost everyone on DarkRP is under the age of 16, and often those who select policework begin to abuse their power horribly. People select the gun dealer because it allows them to purchase guns directly instead of through a third party, and then they abuse that power. Everyone is trying to get power so they can abuse it. Go on with a few friends and you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Looking for couch-based multiplayer for the PC

- Co-op is preferred but not essential.
- Nothing too serious or involved. Yes to LEGO games (though we've played most of them), no to hotseat 4X games.
- Portal 2 and Trine are on my list of potential games, though I've no idea how the former goes with controllers.

UncleScapegrace posted:

System Shock 2 is older, but it's still got a lot to recommend it. Great atmosphere and while it was a niche title in its time it's had a fair bit of influence on other series.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 1, 2013

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

- Nothing too serious or involved. Yes to LEGO games (though we've played most of them), no to hotseat 4X games.
- Portal 2 and Trine are on my list of potential games, though I've no idea how the former goes with controllers.

Spelunky is great to play either by passing the controller when someone dies or in the chaos that is co-op mode. Co-op in that game can be either a huge boon as you can revive each other and pull off things you could never do alone, or a complete clusterfuck as people run off camera into spikes or hit each other with rocks (onto spikes.)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

System Shock 2 is older, but it's still got a lot to recommend it. Great atmosphere and while it was a niche title in its time it's had a fair bit of influence on other series.

Castle Crashers is a classic co-op beat-em-up with RPG elements. It should be on Steam. Tons of fun.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013
I'm looking for a game with a very complex crafting system, irrespective of what exactly it is that is crafted (armours, weapons, tools, items, etc.). Ideally with many, many different materials, upgrade possibilities and so on. I greatly enjoyed the crafting in the Rune Factory games (as such, I'm totally fine with grinding) and heard that Vagrant Story (PSX/PSN) is supposed to have a very rich and rewarding crafting component. Are there any other recommendations?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

exotarih posted:

I'm looking for a game with a very complex crafting system, irrespective of what exactly it is that is crafted (armours, weapons, tools, items, etc.). Ideally with many, many different materials, upgrade possibilities and so on. I greatly enjoyed the crafting in the Rune Factory games (as such, I'm totally fine with grinding) and heard that Vagrant Story (PSX/PSN) is supposed to have a very rich and rewarding crafting component. Are there any other recommendations?

What's your stance on mining?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vagrant Story is great but it's in bad need of a remake with drastic interface improvements.

If you just want a big huge pile of crafting I'd check out this thread and try to remember to put it down occasionally.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

If you just want a big huge pile of crafting I'd check out this thread and try to remember to put it down occasionally.

Will do, thanks! I loved D2/LoD but have yet to play any of its mods.

Austrian mook posted:

What's your stance on mining?

I enjoy the act of gathering resources 'by myself' (e.g. through mining) but I somewhat dislike the creative/building component of games like Minecraft. Nothing against these concepts, it's just that my own limited creativity always gets to me and I very quickly begin to dislike stuff that I've built.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

exotarih posted:

I enjoy the act of gathering resources 'by myself' (e.g. through mining) but I somewhat dislike the creative/building component of games like Minecraft. Nothing against these concepts, it's just that my own limited creativity always gets to me and I very quickly begin to dislike stuff that I've built.

You should check out Factorio.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013
That looks like Transport Tycoon and Dune 2000 had a child that one cannot but love. Definitely going to check it out, thanks!

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Is there a PC version of Alien Breed or Alien Swarm that supports local gamepad (couch) co-op?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

exotarih posted:

You might enjoy one of the Atelier games, keeping in mind Atelier Rorona is much worse then the other PS3 ones. (I think Atelier Totori is the one which usually gets recommended.)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Is there a PC version of Alien Breed or Alien Swarm that supports local gamepad (couch) co-op?
If you're just after a good twin-stick shooter with local gampad co-op then there's Renegade Ops. Local mode only supports 2 players though.

I've not tried it yet but I've heard good things about Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (I think up to 2 players also).

I'm not sure of anything closer in theme to Alien Breed/Swarm which fits the bill.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Goons recommend me a game! I haven't really played anything for a long time now, get instantly bored - and doesn't help that I easily get 'motion sickness' from most FPSs/fast movement games (Dishonored, Batman AA, RE series etc.)

Recent games I played and enjoyed:

- Dark souls
- Incredible adventures of van helsing
- Deponia
- Football manager
- Mass effect

Any recommendations?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
You might want to twiddle with FOV (field of vision) settings or sit closer/further from the screen if you're getting motion sickness. I know Dishonored at least has a built in FOV slider in the options.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

pigdog posted:

You might want to twiddle with FOV (field of vision) settings or sit closer/further from the screen if you're getting motion sickness. I know Dishonored at least has a built in FOV slider in the options.

If you're sitting at a big computer screen at a higher resolution, your fov needs to be somewhere between 80-90 degrees. And when you can, turn off head bobbing. Head bobbing is the only thing that really gets me motion sick. Besides, in real life your brain accommodates for your own head bobbing so that you don't notice it, so I don't know why people feel the need to add that into a game where you can't accommodate for it.

Game wise, you're all over the map. It looks like you like 3rd person action games or RPGs maybe? Consider Just Cause 2 or Saints Row/GTA. I'll assume when you say Mass Effect that you mean the series, otherwise consider playing ME 2, which is more actiony, and maybe 3, which is like 2 with a disappointing ending.

Since you listed Football Manager, which I know has lots of stats/spreadsheets, maybe try one of the Paradox mapgames for something slower paced? Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4 are the good entry games there.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I think I've dried the well in regards to RPGs with some emphasis on dialogue choices. Here are some of the ones I've finished:

Deus Ex Series
Mass Effect Series
Vampire: The Masquerade
Jade Empire
KOTOR Series
Fallout Series
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
Alpha Protocol
Dragon Age Series

Anything I'm missing?

Edit: Arcanum, too. God, I play too many video games.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 3, 2013

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

JadaX posted:

- Incredible adventures of van helsing

If you enjoyed the item hunting and build making RPG bits of this, check out Path of Exile. If you didn't so much care for that bit but liked all the wordy story bits, try Sacred 2 or maybe Drox Operative.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I think I've dried the well in regards to RPGs with some emphasis on dialogue choices. Here are some of the ones I've finished:

Deus Ex Series
Mass Effect Series
Vampire: The Masquerade
Jade Empire
KOTOR Series
Fallout Series
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
Alpha Protocol
Dragon Age Series

Anything I'm missing?

Neverwinter Nights? Not as well done as Baldur's Gate, but there are some good parts. Mask of the Betrayer is considered to be one of Obsidian's best works.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Internet Friend posted:

You should check out Factorio.

I tried the demo and it's really nifty so far, but the combat is rear end. I hope they include options for peaceful play if desired.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

pigdog posted:

I actually have, I changed it to 110 for Infinite, 100 for Dishonored - the problem is, I can play fine for 15-20mins, but then I start to feel uneasy and have to pretty much stop playing for the day.

Cantorsdust posted:

Game wise, you're all over the map. It looks like you like 3rd person action games or RPGs maybe? Consider Just Cause 2 or Saints Row/GTA. I'll assume when you say Mass Effect that you mean the series, otherwise consider playing ME 2, which is more actiony, and maybe 3, which is like 2 with a disappointing ending.

Since you listed Football Manager, which I know has lots of stats/spreadsheets, maybe try one of the Paradox mapgames for something slower paced? Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4 are the good entry games there.

I play on my laptop which has a typical 1366x768 resolution wide-screen, so end up bumping fov up to 100 or so.

As for games, I tried Saints Row 3, and after 15mins or so had motion sickness from that too! And yep, played ME1/2, didn't try 3 yet - might do so. I'll give CK2 a shot.

MooCowlian posted:

If you enjoyed the item hunting and build making RPG bits of this, check out Path of Exile. If you didn't so much care for that bit but liked all the wordy story bits, try Sacred 2 or maybe Drox Operative.
I was considering playing that last night, asked around a bit for thoughts on the game and everyone has pretty much said I should avoid it, but I'll definitely check it out since it's free.

JadaX fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 2, 2013

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Anything I'm missing?

Arcanum. Think "Steampunk Fallout" by Troika.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Tagra posted:

I tried the demo and it's really nifty so far, but the combat is rear end. I hope they include options for peaceful play if desired.

Maybe the demo is an older version because peaceful mode has been an option in freeplay mode for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm looking for recent games, like the last year or so, with a good story. Preferably on PC but 360/PS3/WiiU are okay too. Gameplay type doesn't matter much so long as it's fun, but I am rear end at strategy/tactics games (which is ironic considering I loved FFT--but again, story). Not picky about setting either, but I like sci-fi mostly.

(Also since a friend mentioned them to me, the Amnesia games are right the hell out. :cry:)

(ed: because I just remembered it, Shadowrun Returns has already been played, too)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 2, 2013