Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

And Watchtower ended up being her codename, because Smallville did not do subtlety.

It's not like either Lotz or Cassidy would actually be doing the real action stuff though.

Don't know about Cassidy, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caity_Lotz

quote:

Lotz is also a martial artist, with some training in Taekwondo, Wushu and Muay Thai. She is also a practitioner of Parkour and Tricking.

quote:

In 2011, Lotz starred as Officer Kirsten Landry, one of the main characters in the MTV horror, black comedy mockumentary series Death Valley. Lotz performs all her own stunts on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The scary pirate captain asked Ollie if he noticed if the skeletons he found were malformed in some way, I wonder if that is somehow related to the serum that Bro Blood is using?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It depends on insurance. Often even if an actor has the training, insurance doesn't allow them to do their own fight scenes on TV.

Do the actors already do their own stunts and fights? If they do then she probably can.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It depends on insurance. Often even if an actor has the training, insurance doesn't allow them to do their own fight scenes on TV.

Do the actors already do their own stunts and fights? If they do then she probably can.

Amell said in that FB Q&A that he does all the stunts they let him do.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

zoux posted:

The scary pirate captain asked Ollie if he noticed if the skeletons he found were malformed in some way, I wonder if that is somehow related to the serum that Bro Blood is using?

Also, it might just be me but IMO Amell is amazing in this show. He manages to pull off 'emotionally dead inside survivor scared to begin living again' in one scene and as soon as it goes to the island he's instantly 'spoiled rich kid trying to hide behind tough facade'.

And that was just back in the first season. The scene in this last episode where he's trying to keep information from the captain but the captain is just "This is the right island :smug:" is just amazing.

And just look at him when he's talking to Canary in the hospital. :unsmith:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Gaz-L posted:

I'm thinking the Brother Blood thing is building to that.

"SEBASTIAN BLOOD! YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CI-" *Arrow is attacked by ninjas/zombies/junkies/mutant chimps*

That sounds loving cool. I'll take all four.

edit: VVV :aaaaa:

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 1, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those weren't 4 options, those were all describing the chimps.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Also, it might just be me but IMO Amell is amazing in this show. He manages to pull off 'emotionally dead inside survivor scared to begin living again' in one scene and as soon as it goes to the island he's instantly 'spoiled rich kid trying to hide behind tough facade'.

And that was just back in the first season. The scene in this last episode where he's trying to keep information from the captain but the captain is just "This is the right island :smug:" is just amazing.

And just look at him when he's talking to Canary in the hospital. :unsmith:

To add a little context to that, he has greatly improved since the start of the show, which as we all mostly agree was kinda goofy and awkward.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

So does Felicity. And that cop. Also, Sin probably.

What I'm saying is Laurel sucks.

I would not be upset if she somehow died suddenly. In fact I think it would be great.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Taffer posted:

I would not be upset if she somehow died suddenly. In fact I think it would be great.

That's silly, don't be like that. She is going to go through a dramatic drunken-disorderly story arc for a few episodes; she'll probably be like Ollie's sister in the beginning of season 1 for a while, and then she'll realize the things about her sister, and then her sister'll die to save them from ninjas or whatever, and Laurel will stop drinking when she learns of her sister's death a second time and then take up the mantle of the Canary using all her fighting skills she learned about during the island underground Russian Rage Cage matches secret ninja assassin monasteries Karate class.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Drifter posted:

That's silly, don't be like that. She is going to go through a dramatic drunken-disorderly story arc for a few episodes; she'll probably be like Ollie's sister in the beginning of season 1 for a while, and then she'll realize the things about her sister, and then her sister'll die to save them from ninjas or whatever, and Laurel will stop drinking when she learns of her sister's death a second time and then take up the mantle of the Canary using all her fighting skills she learned about during the island underground Russian Rage Cage matches secret ninja assassin monasteries Karate class.

Can we stick Laurel into Sara's body and then kill off Laurel's body? That's effectively the same thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soylentbits posted:

Can we stick Laurel into Sara's body and then kill off Laurel's body? That's effectively the same thing.

Just reveal they're actually identical twins and Sarah can take over Laurel's life.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Soylentbits posted:

In season 3 there will be a supervillain who acts out suggestions of violence based off internet forums' posts.

Their first act of supercriminal trespass will be inspired by your post.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

At least Manu Bennet has lots of experience in training future champions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQT4yvkNR_U

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Drifter posted:

She's not just annoying because she's going through ~rough times~, she's always been really annoying and consistently the worst recurring character. Her leaving would be good for the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

etalian posted:

Landing Manu Bennet for this show was such a casting coup, too bad he's relegated to island flashbacks (until the inevitable reappearance in Starling City which can't come soon enough).

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Taffer posted:

She's not just annoying because she's going through ~rough times~, she's always been really annoying and consistently the worst recurring character. Her leaving would be good for the show.

Ollie could use someone to mourn for at the start of Season 3 & I nominate her.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

etalian posted:

It's reasonably impressive they found 1:18 of gladiator screentime that didn't include nudity

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Crixis looks way cooler with short hair/no beard. I just finished up seasons two and three and the Jesus beard/hair was annoying.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think they're building up Slade, which is a great thing for a character in Arrow, actually, because the show isn't the bestest at writing and developing characters.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ufarn posted:

I think they're burning up Slade

:haw:

Notable lack of Slade in the last episode, paired with him being on fire last one. I wonder if we're getting a heel face turn.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'd actually be cool w/ Slade being the Big Bad for the FINAL season years from now. Save the best for last.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azhais posted:

It's reasonably impressive they found 1:18 of gladiator screentime that didn't include nudity

it took me many hours to find a Spartacus clip that didn't include gratuitous violence and nudity.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Drifter posted:

They've been pretty inconsistent with Laurel's martial abilities. Sometimes she is totally competent in self defense and firearms use, and other times shes pretty much just a Damsel in Distress.

That being said, they've been pretty inconsistent with pretty much everything related to Laurel.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

hi liter posted:

They've been pretty inconsistent with Laurel's martial abilities. Sometimes she is totally competent in self defense and firearms use, and other times shes pretty much just a Damsel in Distress.

Yeah but considering Diggle who is ex-military is shown to barely be able keep up half the time even with his level of training Laurel would be way out of her weight class. Everybody that's been up to par has had at least two years worth of implied mysterious hellish training, with Roy acting as the poster child for just being competent isn't enough to pull it off.

I think they have made too much of a point for it to come off as believable in the world they have made so I'm not buying it's a done deal especially if Sara continues to work so well in the show, she might get a Pinkman save.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

zoux posted:

Landing Manu Bennet for this show was such a casting coup, too bad he's relegated to island flashbacks (until the inevitable reappearance in Starling City which can't come soon enough).

Eh, I found him pretty boring, except for some parts of Gods of the Arena. Most of the other regular characters were much more interesting. And since I don't really care about the island plot I am not that excited about him showing up in the main story. Although, if he accidentally kills Laurel when he shows up I will welcome his appearance.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
So is there many here who think Lance knows? I've been re-watching season 1 and looking for clues. Episode 14, at the end when Oliver asks if there was any blood sample results after his mother shot him. Lance says "There was a screw up at the lab" and kinda walks off in a huff. Seems a bit too convenient.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah but considering Diggle who is ex-military is shown to barely be able keep up half the time even with his level of training Laurel would be way out of her weight class. Everybody that's been up to par has had at least two years worth of implied mysterious hellish training, with Roy acting as the poster child for just being competent isn't enough to pull it off.

I think they have made too much of a point for it to come off as believable in the world they have made so I'm not buying it's a done deal especially if Sara continues to work so well in the show, she might get a Pinkman save.

Queue training montage between Laurel and Ollie after her sister dies (for the last time), at the end of which Ollie gently places Black Canary's domino mask over Laurel's eyes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Laurel doesn't have to learn to fight. She can sneak up on people and bash them on the head while they're wondering why she's wearing fishnets to a fight.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Ingram posted:

So is there many here who think Lance knows? I've been re-watching season 1 and looking for clues. Episode 14, at the end when Oliver asks if there was any blood sample results after his mother shot him. Lance says "There was a screw up at the lab" and kinda walks off in a huff. Seems a bit too convenient.

Felicity hacked into the testing lab computers and had them destroy it instead of testing it. I don't think Lance knows, but I could be wrong. It didn't come from that, and even if they tested it they'd need some of Oliver's blood to compare.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Torrannor posted:

Eh, I found him pretty boring, except for some parts of Gods of the Arena. Most of the other regular characters were much more interesting. And since I don't really care about the island plot I am not that excited about him showing up in the main story. Although, if he accidentally kills Laurel when he shows up I will welcome his appearance.

drat it man, that's your backstory. The crux if you will. Strangers become friends, friends become BFF's, BFF's become frenemies, frenemies become nemeses. I could give a bollocks about Starling City.

All Island, all the time.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

seaborgium posted:

Felicity hacked into the testing lab computers and had them destroy it instead of testing it. I don't think Lance knows, but I could be wrong. It didn't come from that, and even if they tested it they'd need some of Oliver's blood to compare.

Must have missed that.

Very next episode Lance is talking to Detective McKenna about catching the Vigilante while Oliver is with her and he looks at Oliver with a very knowing and smug look.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So what season do we think Slade will show up as a Big Bad? Then again, Deathstroke is a character that could conceivably grow to be an antihero, so who knows?

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

From Stephen Amell's Facebook:

quote:

5 day warning: Episode 5 of Season 2 is my favorite episode of the series so far. It's called The League of Assassins for goodness sakes.

I do not bestow the tag of favorite episode lightly.

My first favorite was the pilot, followed by episode 6, episode 14 & episode 16.

Episode 16 has been trumped by this coming week. The League of Assassins has the proverbial championship belt my friends.

AND I CANNOT WAIT FOR YOU TO SEE IT!!!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's adorable how excited he is about his show.

Many actors can barely be bothered to figure out what the plot of their own show is.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

drat it man, that's your backstory. The crux if you will. Strangers become friends, friends become BFF's, BFF's become frenemies, frenemies become nemeses. I could give a bollocks about Starling City.

All Island, all the time.

http://youtu.be/Ghw7_RGi9aI

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ingram posted:

From Stephen Amell's Facebook:

So what he's saying is that the next episode is even better than the last two?

:getin:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Well it's not like Laurel would have to pick up the outfit and immediately become a badass? Seems pretty reasonable for the show that Laurel could feel an obligation to take up the cause, but really suck at it and have to learn over time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
she already busts out Kravmajitsu at the drop of a hat, just needs to work on her Ninja entrances and exits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really do respect that Roy isn't suiting up and hopping on rooftops yet. The writers are absolutely right that showing a rookie kicking rear end would take away from Oliver's own five year training journey.

• Locked thread