Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So I just got linked to (case 4 and 5 spoilers) this piece of fanart. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
:3: This is the sweetest thing, really. That whole part where Apollo is on the stand, obviously torn between his guilt over accusing Athena, and his desire to see his friend's killer brought to justice, while his theme is playing is really one of the best moments in the serie.

theshim posted:

...Persona Wright? :stare:

Now I kind of want to know what would be their arcana and persona. Phoenix would obviously be the Fool, Edgeworth the Emperor or the Hierophant, Apollo would be, well Justice or the Chariot, and Athena would be the Star.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 1, 2013

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Pollyanna posted:

Also I just got the whole GYAXA gag:

Gyakuten Saiban -> GyakuSai -> Gyakusa -> GYAXA

:shepface:

Kind of; it's a reference to Japan's space exploration agency changing its name from NASDA to JAXA, especially the part where they're confused about what the X stands for.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm just about done with the final case and my feelings haven't really changed. This kinda feels like the weakest entry in the series not counting Investigations. I dunno, the cases just seemed to drag, especially the investigation parts. I miss being able to examine all the environments during those, too. The prosecutor was super boring, not-maya was consistently irritating, Pheonix played too much of a backseat despite his "return", and the contradictions always felt too obvious. I don't know, it was more Ace Attorney except not as good.

I seem to be one of the only people who really loved 4 though, so maybe I'm the odd man out here. And I also don't get why people hate the circus case from 2 so much, could someone explain that to me? Is it the clown?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh geez, (case 5 major spoilers)that perception on Fulbright after deducing he's the Phantom is absurd. Reminds me way too much of the sweating that Brushel did in 4-4, only somehow even harder to spot.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Basically if Robin is trans* anything, then she's transtransgender, much like Princess Ozma of Oz.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Cyra posted:

I seem to be one of the only people who really loved 4 though, so maybe I'm the odd man out here. And I also don't get why people hate the circus case from 2 so much, could someone explain that to me? Is it the clown?

Partially. It's also just a really obtuse case on a whole, with a lot of people being complete idiots and the payoff being kinda lame for how much effort it took to get anywhere. I don't hate it like some seem to, but it's definitely the low point in the series as a whole.

On the other hand, I just finished 5 and hot drat that was cool. (Endgame spoilers) The Phantom was a really neat finale for the Mood Matrix. Actually, I loved just about everything in case 5, from how it returned to the ruined courtroom to how it tied in with basically every major character in the game (Phoenix excepted)- definitely one of the series' top tier cases. My only regret is that I had the true culprit spoiled for me early, which sucked since that would've been an amazing reveal if I had to figure it out myself.

I was really surprised by how much I liked Apollo and Athena by the end. Having them swap around between active attorney and assistant really worked to round them out as characters.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh geez, (case 5 major spoilers)that perception on Fulbright after deducing he's the Phantom is absurd. Reminds me way too much of the sweating that Brushel did in 4-4, only somehow even harder to spot.

I thought the tell was going to be a repeat of Kristoph's hand, but that was because Fulbright's scar is what clued me in before the characters so I kind of focused on it. I was surprised the scar didn't even come up.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

CommonSensei posted:

I thought the tell was going to be a repeat of Kristoph's hand, but that was because Fulbright's scar is what clued me in before the characters so I kind of focused on it. I was surprised the scar didn't even come up.

Surprise, Kristoph is actually the Phantom. All those years he spent in prison? A body double. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Huh? It's one of the two basic spots I always start with - the face and the hands. I found it right away. Brushel is so hard because his armpits are a place I never would have thought to check. I don't see how Fullbright's thumb is harder than that.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's a contradiction that I spotted that I never got to object to (major case 5 spoilers). Ponco claims after Athena 'hugged' Metis, she 'fell down', but Ponco could still detect Metis' heartbeat afterwards, yet the autopsy reports states that Metis was stabbed through the heart and died instantly. It was never added to the testimony though so I couldn't find a way to object to it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Huh? It's one of the two basic spots I always start with - the face and the hands. I found it right away. Brushel is so hard because his armpits are a place I never would have thought to check. I don't see how Fullbright's thumb is harder than that.

It's the location being so small mixed with the very tight time to go look at it, moreso than just the location itself. Brushel's issue was entirely due to the odd location, yeah, but that had the benefit of being easier to spot by accident I think.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
e: never mind.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Here's a contradiction that I spotted that I never got to object to (major case 5 spoilers). Ponco claims after Athena 'hugged' Metis, she 'fell down', but Ponco could still detect Metis' heartbeat afterwards, yet the autopsy reports states that Metis was stabbed through the heart and died instantly. It was never added to the testimony though so I couldn't find a way to object to it.

It wasn't Metis who Athena "hugged", it was the phantom wearing her coat.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Cyra posted:

I'm just about done with the final case and my feelings haven't really changed. This kinda feels like the weakest entry in the series not counting Investigations. I dunno, the cases just seemed to drag, especially the investigation parts. I miss being able to examine all the environments during those, too. The prosecutor was super boring, not-maya was consistently irritating, Pheonix played too much of a backseat despite his "return", and the contradictions always felt too obvious. I don't know, it was more Ace Attorney except not as good.

Yeah, the clown. A lot of the other characters were annoying, too, and the premise and execution of the murder just felt really dumb and contrived.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I believe it's meant to mean when Athena stabbed Phantom (as identified by the ID on the jacket)in the hand. The Phantom would have fallen down from the shock and the pain of the stabbing. He wasn't killed by the stabbing so his heart kept beating. If they did mean that, it's not a contradiction. It should have been addressed though and it really does feel as though that Autopsy report was put there to present to testimony like you posted. It's probably an oversight, rather than a contradiction/plot hole.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

tiistai posted:

It wasn't Metis who Athena "hugged", it was the phantom wearing her coat.

I think Locust's point is that you could have used the fact that Ponco could still detect a heartbeat as proof it wasn't actually Metis Ponco saw.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah, the clown. A lot of the other characters were annoying, too, and the premise and execution of the murder just felt really dumb and contrived.

Not gonna lie, the circus is actually one of my favorite cases. I actually really like Moe, and the murderer being Acro felt kind of unexpected and cool. I'm pretty easily impressed though. gently caress the ventriloquist though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The mood matrix ended up having a lot of versatility, much more than I expected. I liked it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Strange Quark posted:

I think Locust's point is that you could have used the fact that Ponco could still detect a heartbeat as proof it wasn't actually Metis Ponco saw.
Exactly. I'm almost done with the case, past this part, and this was really bugging me the whole time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

theshim posted:

Exactly. I'm almost done with the case, past this part, and this was really bugging me the whole time.

My theory is that you're not meant to take "died instantaneously" as anything but an attempt to get a lower rating. I mean yeah, it's been important in the past, but has anyone in any of the AA games died slowly and horribly?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pick posted:

My theory is that you're not meant to take "died instantaneously" as anything but an attempt to get a lower rating. I mean yeah, it's been important in the past, but has anyone in any of the AA games died slowly and horribly?

How could anyone forget the updated autopsy report in 1-2? :colbert: That was like Edgeworth dick move #1.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pick posted:

Game's already got an M rating, that did jack squat for making this T rated like it's brethren.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Pick posted:

It's really the fact that they harp on both the heartbeat elevating as well as specifically pointing out that death was instantaneous, which they usually don't do unless it's an important plot point.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

One kind of doubts that getting impaled on a fence would be a swift death, as well. Or getting stabbed, surviving long enough to get a shot off with your hidden pistol, then getting shot with said pistol. Or getting strangled to death by an assassin. Or getting shot with a high caliber gun at least once, surviving long enough to write something down AND being found by some bystanders, then expiring after making some cryptic last words.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

ChaosArgate posted:

Game's already got an M rating, that did jack squat for making this T rated like it's brethren.

Case 5 spoilers: Some of the implied (incorrect) events during Athena/Simon's testimony were outright horrifying. Dismembering your freshly stabbed mother with a bunch of sharp, scary looking of robotic arms? :stonk:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I picked up on that too, but I think it's just a case of unclear wording or possibly an odd translation issue. Ponco shuts down the same instant Metis's heart would have stopped beating if Ponco had really seen her die, which is why it's not a contradiction; as I recall Phoenix actually has a line there where he basically says "if Ponco had stayed active for just another second we would be able to tell if she really saw the moment of death or not."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Chairman posted:

Kind of; it's a reference to Japan's space exploration agency changing its name from NASDA to JAXA, especially the part where they're confused about what the X stands for.

eXploration, right?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pollyanna posted:

eXploration, right?

Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, JAXA.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
(Case 4 trial 2 spoilers)So there's currently this big thing about how a third person could escape through the launch door. But couldn't the third person just take the trash shoot or hide in one of those pods? I'm surprised the plot hasn't considered that.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Snix posted:

(Case 4 trial 2 spoilers)So there's currently this big thing about how a third person could escape through the launch door. But couldn't the third person just take the trash shoot or hide in one of those pods? I'm surprised the plot hasn't considered that.

I actually lost the case because I kept trying to point out that loving trash chute whenever the escape came up. :shepface:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I assume it leads to a compacter or something. Kind of a lovely escape route in that case! Plus, there's prolly lots of security measures around it to prevent people from going in. Don't want a toddler getting cubified, after all.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I suppose that makes sense. Though person X probably could have hid in the pods till things cleared because it was dark and no one check them. My point is that there are two other places that I assumed SOMEONE would bring up.

(Case 5 day 1) That was quite a twist. I don't know anything about Athena and Simon's involvement in the case seven years prior, but for some reason, I think that the spy somehow also has Athena's finger prints, or something. As to their identity, I'm guessing it's someone who works at the space station. It's obviously not Clay, Starbuck, or the captain. I don't think it'd be Aurora, because she obviously detests that incident. If it's a member of the space station, then perhaps it's the girl in that group photo to the very right. Unless she's the person who died, of course. Nah, it's definitely Ponco.

Edit:

Terper posted:

So I just got linked to (case 4 and 5 spoilers) this piece of fanart. :unsmith:
God loving dammit, that is perhaps the sweetest loving image I have ever seen.

Snix fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 2, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cyra posted:

Wait, you hate the investigating portion of the PW games but you liked the loving piece of poo poo slog that was 2-3? BTW, the reason most people hat it is the villain isn't satisfying, there's no payoff and he's actually a pretty likable character compared to the defendant and loving 30 year old man trying to gently caress a teenager. That's another good reason to hate the case, also, it's dumb and is stupid. Nono, he really did just hover because he's a *magician* gently caress case 2-3, and 2-2 is really bad as well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

2-4 is the only outright good case in JFA :colbert: (2-2 is easily in second place and merely gets a resounding "meh"). In a move that has to be some form of Sisyphean punishment it (2-4) also happens to be one of the best in the entire series.

Snix posted:

I was expecting that the pods would be the thing I had to point out too. The instant I saw and examined them, I figured "oh the killer hid in one and left after the power came back" or something. But nope, no one ever even mentions them or considered it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
2-4 is a loving marvelous case. The pods are pretty clearly a Chekov's gun sort of deal, it's pretty bs. I gotta say, I think 5-3 was my favorite, something about the cast I just loved. Scuttlebutt, Robin, Hugh, and :swoon: Means.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Scuttlebutt is literally one of my favorite witness characters in the entire series.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Waffleman_ posted:

Scuttlebutt is literally one of my favorite witness characters in the entire series.

I'm just curious, what characters from DD did you all not like? Because the cast is pretty loving amazing all together, I think.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waffleman_ posted:

It always creeps me out to see a cardboard box sweating though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there anywhere I can find a list of the alternate endings? I read somewhere that there's more than one.

• Locked thread