Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
breaks
May 12, 2001

Lazyfire posted:

Speaking of FOV, what works for everyone? I use the default because I just recently ascended onto PC Mount Olympus from the dirty Console dirt farms and have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to changing FOV.

I use 110. The default of 70 or whatever it is on a widescreen monitor is just :catstare:. 110 doesn't really look warped to me but then again I used to use 110 for Q3 on a 4:3 monitor back in the day. I guess if you've grown up playing nothing but 70 fov on widescreens then 110 may look real weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Do you mean HEAT? HE doing the most armor damage is ridiculously :dice:

I just got HE shells and they do seem to do more damage than the AP shells.

The infrared vision is amazing for hardcore though, can see all those whores hiding in the bushes shooting rockets.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

Well, you should be cool, "Recommended" specs were 6 core AMD and a 7870. Based on other people here you should be good to run medium-high without too much issue depending on what card you have.

Just as a reference how BF4 runs in a lower end system: I have stock i5-750, 8 GB RAM, stock HD 6950 1GB GPU.

The game runs buttery smooth above 60 fps with low settings even on 64 player conquest nearly all the time, sometimes dipping below 50 when the going gets really hectic. And the game still looks awesome on low settings, even though FPS wise I could go higher but I want my inputs to be not hampered by lower fps.*

*The mean FPS is around 80.

Rolling Scissors fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 1, 2013

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

breaks posted:

I use 110. The default of 70 or whatever it is on a widescreen monitor is just :catstare:. 110 doesn't really look warped to me but then again I used to use 110 for Q3 on a 4:3 monitor back in the day. I guess if you've grown up playing nothing but 70 fov on widescreens then 110 may look real weird.
Don't you worry about that high of a FOV making everyone look really, really tiny?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

John Magnum posted:

I thought the X1 and PS4 were targetting 60FPS, not 30.

Lots of games on Xbone and PS4 are running at 30fps, unfortunately.
It does seem like they're targeting 60, the devs did mention they were shooting for 60fps on PS4, but they also mentioned they were still testing the limitations of the new engine and the new console.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 1, 2013

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

folgore posted:

For MBTs, if anyone is curious, the HE shell seems to do the most armor damage.
So HE is just a straight upgrade to AT? That's dumb as hell.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Anyone watching the EU vs USA X1 Showdown? I can't because I'm at work but I'm wondering what it's like for the poor console folks to play BF4 32v32.

I still wish that we could mixed all the console players with the PC players haha. Or at least choose to play with them (using a custom search).

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

So HE is just a straight upgrade to AT? That's dumb as hell.

They travel slower and drop faster, but not nearly enough to make a difference.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

BadLlama posted:

Do you mean HEAT? HE doing the most armor damage is ridiculously :dice:

They call it HE in-game but I guess it's supposed to be HEAT, I dunno. Either way, it does more damage than the default AP round and the final sabot unlock.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Mutation posted:

Don't you worry about that high of a FOV making everyone look really, really tiny?

If you want to try long shots with ironsights I guess it's harder, but just put a scope on there and it's fine. After a certain point everything is small regardless of FOV anyway.

On the other hand it really helps in close to mid ranges because you are able to see quite a bit more of the area around you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

folgore posted:

They call it HE in-game but I guess it's supposed to be HEAT, I dunno. Either way, it does more damage than the default AP round and the final sabot unlock.
Why did they not just do the super-obvious thing and have HEAT, AP, and HE rounds? AP, Sabot, and HE-rounds-that-do-more-AT damage-than-AP-rounds is just weird.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Aside from the constant crashes, the time I spend actually playing the game has been a blast. I don't get the deal with the infantry combat in this game though. I would consider myself competent at fps games but I feel like I always lose my one-on-one engagements. Is there a secret to shooting mans that I'm missing? I'm still using the starting rifle.

In the meantime, I made some emblems based off the Planetside empires.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GentlemanGiant posted:

They travel slower and drop faster, but not nearly enough to make a difference.

The drop makes a huge difference. You basically can't do proper long range shots at all with HE rounds - you have to aim as high as you can to get a few hundred meters and the round is so slow anyone can dodge it easy. In a brawl they're awesome though - just win straight up.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

No, you hosed up. One of the changes from the beta to the release game is that you can only hit the counter button during the prompt. Hitting it before the prompt will make it not appear and you'll lose the fight no matter how many times you hit it.

Wish I'd known that. It's a cool mechanic, though. I was like "yes your life belongs to me now" but he stabbed me cleanly, it was horrible.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Some shameless guy in the showdown seemed to be exploiting a bug where if you swap seats in the scout heli it will reset flares.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
So that's what he was doing. I was wondering what that was.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
So I wouldn't be at all surprised when we see Metro next.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

I doubt its a bug since you can do this in any vehicle. More likely DICE just didn't think to delay countermeasures whenever someone exited the drivers seat

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's a bug. It's a mechanic (flare cooldown) being subverted by an unrelated action (switching seats).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Why they don't change it so that it countermeasure use is tied to the vehicle instead of the driver is beyond me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well, I feel dirty. I picked up the recon kit to get its sniper-rifle assignment out of the way. I do like how sniping mechanics feel in this game, but at the same time the act is either frustrating, meaningless or tedious if not all three. The biggest issue is that range that the mid-range scopes are effective in seem to be well within the comfortable zone of ARs and LMGs. So you're either the jackass in the hills (and therefore its only a matter time before you're knifed or run over) or half the time your target or his buddy start shooting back at you which throws off your aim.

On the plus side though I got through Bronze and Silver in a single map and now have whiz-balls. Also, almost every kill with a sniper rifle earns you a nice big gob of points.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DatonKallandor posted:

So that's what he was doing. I was wondering what that was.

Same here. Only caught the last quarter, but fully organized Battlefield looks sooooo different from pubbie games, it's weird.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Jesus Christ what morons. "Metro is one of the best FPS maps ever made"

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

DatonKallandor posted:

Jesus Christ what morons. "Metro is one of the best FPS maps ever made"

Metro was goddamn horrible. Operation locker is the same meatgrinder type map, but is blissful in comparison.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Yo take some screens of this new Metro n' poo poo

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

Metro was goddamn horrible. Operation locker is the same meatgrinder type map, but is blissful in comparison.

Yeah I'm starting to like Locker because it turns out one team can't actually cover all possible approaches. As long as you immediately step back and flank around whenever you see a corridor blocked it's pretty drat fluid in terms of map control.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Pubbies love their corridor maps

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The best part of metro is the giant escalator that turns into a conveyor belt of bodies for easy revives.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

breaks posted:

This man gets it. Quake has set into me habits that I will take to the grave. 110 or bust.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Also has the game/server crashed for everyone playing in the showdown or whatever yet

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
How the hell do I change my soldier camo? I'm assuming it can be done as seem to have got some alternate ones in battlepacks, but there doesn't se to be any obvious option.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Looks like I'll probably be getting it for PC then! If anything, I probably just need to change out my GPU.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KM Scorchio posted:

How the hell do I change my soldier camo? I'm assuming it can be done as seem to have got some alternate ones in battlepacks, but there doesn't se to be any obvious option.

Should be the bottom option on the customization menu. :confused:

Ravenfood posted:

Why they don't change it so that it countermeasure use is tied to the vehicle instead of the driver is beyond me.

Because they wanted to make it so you could upgrade countermeasures potentially? Its wonky but that's how all vehicle upgrades work, its based on the driver's loadout.

This is a bug, but I can see why it exists. They just failed to make sure to keep the cooldown going from the last driver on switch.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 1, 2013

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Maybe I'm being dumb, are the differnt camo patterns just for weapons and vehicles or is there some totally other menu I'm missing to alter my actual outfit?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Wow, a physical copy of the PC game is $10 more than the download copy. Looks like I wouldn't be playing it tonight!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

KM Scorchio posted:

Maybe I'm being dumb, are the differnt camo patterns just for weapons and vehicles or is there some totally other menu I'm missing to alter my actual outfit?

Most of the ones you unlock are for guns and vehicles. The soldier camo is set for each class in the class configuration screen.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Oh DICE...

The only thing I noticed from the new metro map is that it now has those big green containers scattered around:

Sure you'll find lots of those in France, the only problem is they are for glass waste. The hook on top of it is used to lift them so they can be emptied from the bottom.

Yep, it makes absolutely zero sense to find that stuff in a metro station. In a cramped corridor of all places.

I know this sounds very :sperg: but they stick out like a sore thumb. Next time pay attention to details DICE. :eng99:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Should be the bottom option on the customization menu. :confused:

Because they wanted to make it so you could upgrade countermeasures potentially? Its wonky but that's how all vehicle upgrades work, its based on the driver's loadout.

This is a bug, but I can see why it exists. They just failed to make sure to keep the cooldown going from the last driver on switch.

The problem is they don't even keep it going from the same driver on switch. They weren't switching to a different pilot mid-flight to get a new set of flares. That'd be almost interesting because it requires a lot of coordination. It was the same pilot switching seats for a split second and then back into the pilot seat.

dunkan
Jul 10, 2006

rage is everywhere
Looks like they are rolling out a new server update, hopefully this fixes the constant crashing; well the server crashing at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
So how do shotguns work with respect to accuracy and stuff?

Do they always shoot the 10? 12? pellets randomly in a pre-defined cone, or does that cone get bigger or smaller depending on your movement / ADS etc.? Does the cone become off center when moving or due to recoil?

Do shotguns vary in these stats?

Do pump shotguns have a tighter cone?

• Locked thread