Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Bolow posted:

This show is awesome as gently caress, and I loving loathe 99.999999999% of anime. It's up on youtube as well.

quote:

That works for Legend of the Galactic Heroes (which was mentioned in the stream*)
Oh god what am I in for? :) I will watch a few episodes this weekend. Thanks, guys.

dupersaurus posted:

What sort of engagement ranges are you planning? Is it going to be pretty much mission arenas like all the classics? In my space game I keep telling myself I should make (no stealing), I imagine engagements starting from way way beyond firing and visual range where you can use tech stuff (jamming, spoofing, passive vs active sensors, going quiet, space AWACS, etc) to try to mess with your opponents. But that's almost an entire game in itself and may not lend itself to your vision.

This is the alternate universe Enemy Starfighter that plays more like Silent Hunter 3, but in space. And way slower. And with more beards.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Kairo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqg8p_rzVrE

Myth 2 is probably my favorite Bungie game, and made great use of terrain/unit mechanics.
I was already so onboard. But if you're brewing Myth with Tie Fighter, I'm just, I don't even know. (honestly 2 of my favourite games that stand the test of time, like, I'll regularly play these over modern supercedents , such as they are).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kairo posted:

Oh god what am I in for? :) I will watch a few episodes this weekend. Thanks, guys.

You are in for Corrupt Space Prussia vs Corrupt Space America in battles involving thousands of ships and millions of men per side with tactics that more resemble Napoleonic line battles than what most people think of space battles. The first battle, the Battle of Astate, spans the first two episodes and results in over 1.5million casualties on both sides. It was what this universe might consider an average battle.

You know the saying "Sci Fi writers have no sense of scale"?, well LotGH does, its a rather slow paced show, so you may not like it, but its worth trying. Anyways, I'll shut up about it now.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 2, 2013

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Kairo posted:

This is the alternate universe Enemy Starfighter that plays more like Silent Hunter 3, but in space. And way slower. And with more beards.

Read Glen Cook's Passage at Arms. It is literally Das Boot in space, and it is amazing. If you've read the book, it's even better just to see the similarities in the style in words. Cook invents a justification for space submarines.

I would like a space submarine game, like Flotilla with a detection mechanic and a bit more inventory. Hmm.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Glimpse posted:

I was already so onboard. But if you're brewing Myth with Tie Fighter, I'm just, I don't even know. (honestly 2 of my favourite games that stand the test of time, like, I'll regularly play these over modern supercedents , such as they are).

I love Myth dearly, and it might be my favorite game ever. But don't get your hopes up for Space Myth (even though that would be awesome), just lessons learned from it. As soon as you give up strict birds-eye control like an RTS in favor of going first person, you kind of nerf the tactical game. But if I ever get the chance to make another game, a Myth-like will be next. :hfive:

quote:

It is literally Das Boot in space, and it is amazing.

Oh hell yes. This goes on the list after I finish Leviathan Wakes.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, I didn't even realize you could patent a chunk of code like that, very weird.

Not only can you, but doing so is a major tool for patent trolls, and a common trap for designers. The depth-fail patent is extra egregious because it arguably shouldn't have been issued in the first place. On the plus side, the patent should expire in October, 2019, so we're already most of the way through the term.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Leif. posted:

Not only can you, but doing so is a major tool for patent trolls, and a common trap for designers.

You can patent some pretty crazy stuff. Namco patented the concept of a minigame on a loading screen.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

When this might get playable ?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Kairo posted:

And the sequels. The sequels are awesome too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

kalstrams posted:

When this might get playable ?

SoonTM. Enjoy the nailbiting.

e: sweet jumpin horny toads the stream archive. I can't wait for this game, but Kairo, take your time and salt those fries. This game is so close to the bleeding edge of perfect.

ee: just notice the chronometer on the fighter dashboard for the first time. It's counting up, but wouldn't it be somethin' if that were a countdown for some oh poo poo reinforcements moment to come?

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 2, 2013

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Kairo: Evil Imperial Deathfleet Pilot of the Year-

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ceebees posted:

Operation: Rubbernecker's Regret

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ceebees posted:

You have led the Emperor's Harbinger Fleet for thirty years, and drat whoa everybody, check out space

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kairo posted:

A universe where all the ships are fixies, and all laser beams use locally sourced photons.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

A universe where all the ships are fixies, and all laser beams use locally sourced photons.

It sounds like a cool idea, in all seriousness. You should totally throw together a prototype or something. The mechanics could even be demonstrated in 2D (GameMaker, Flixel) during that phase of development.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kairo posted:

It sounds like a cool idea, in all seriousness. You should totally throw together a prototype or something. The mechanics could even be demonstrated in 2D (GameMaker, Flixel) during that phase of development.

While I should probably do it in some flavor of C for personal and professional advancement, Unity's probably my pick of poisons. I'll have to stick Flixel on my radar, though. But thanks to you I'll need to pick a new direction for my programmer art :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just want to say gently caress you guys for recommending LotGH because now not only do I have anime to watch, I have 100 hours of anime to watch. (It's quite good.)

It seems like every time you make a graphical update Kairo it looks more and more like Homeworld. This is absolutely okay with me.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Orv posted:

I just want to say gently caress you guys for recommending LotGH because now not only do I have anime to watch, I have 100 hours of anime to watch. (It's quite good.)

It seems like every time you make a graphical update Kairo it looks more and more like Homeworld. This is absolutely okay with me.

LotGH is certainly outstanding, and really should be required watching for anyone even with just a passing interest in Sci-Fi. That means you, random goon interested in this game.

And yes, with each new gif my hype meter for this gets kicked up another level. And I couldn't be happier.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rizzen posted:

LotGH is certainly outstanding, and really should be required watching for anyone even with just a passing interest in Sci-Fi. That means you, random goon interested in this game.

And yes, with each new gif my hype meter for this gets kicked up another level. And I couldn't be happier.

Can you tell me what LotGH stands for, unless it is 'Litany of the Goon Honor" ?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

kalstrams posted:

Can you tell me what LotGH stands for, unless it is 'Litany of the Goon Honor" ?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kairo posted:

Leviathan Wakes is fantastic. It gets a bit weird in the middle and you have no idea why but the author pulls it together very nicely.

My only complaint is that a lot of the characters don't get very much development (I literally always had a hard time remembering the differences between Alex and Amos), but the story and concepts he deals with are great and he does good action scenes.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
'Authors' and 'they' but yeah, it's a solid piece of pulp space opera.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is indeed pretty awesome. I watched some this weekend. Love the battle scenes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kairo posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is indeed pretty awesome. I watched some this weekend. Love the battle scenes.

I started watching the intro movie and it seems pretty good, though I'm a bit spoiled by the new reboot of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 just being so drat pretty. :swoon:

I had to reinstall FS2 Open just to scratch that space sim itch until this game comes out though. I'm shocked I haven't heard more about it before now.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Orv posted:

This very much, only got through the intro movie but god drat the entire thing is now on my watchlist and that is a lot of anime.

And as if it hasn't been said enough the sounds are amazing, the gap drive just gives me a raging space boner.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Bombers broke a while ago when I was changing a lot of fundamental stuff like AI/Unit code. Time to get them working again. Stream will be up in about 10min.

http://www.twitch.tv/marauderinteractive

I might put some time aside to redo the models this weekend or next week (they need it), but for now the functionality is most important.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kairo posted:

Bombers broke a while ago when I was changing a lot of fundamental stuff like AI/Unit code. Time to get them working again. Stream will be up in about 10min.

http://www.twitch.tv/marauderinteractive

I might put some time aside to redo the models this weekend or next week (they need it), but for now the functionality is most important.

Uhm, you are Mister Developer ?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yes, he's the developer of the game.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, he's the developer of the game.

That is cool that developer does communicate with regular gamers :)

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
I wish the Android twitch app wasn't utter loving garbage.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

kalstrams posted:

That is cool that developer does communicate with regular gamers :)

It's even cooler when goons consistently give constructive feedback in return, instead of "These space physics aren't what I want in my space game!" :qqsay:

Keep on being rad, Kairo

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Thanks for tuning in, guys. Sorry it wasn't a better stream. I am going to bug fix some stuff with the bombers (like turning to escape in the direction of their buddy's missile volley), but I want to make the bombers sort of on-demand, meaning you can call them in once during a mission but they will appear and strike your current target provided it's valid.

That will probably happen Monday, and I'll stream it. Should be more fun to watch imminent death appearing from warp at will.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hmm. Is it just me, or this game visually looks somewhat like Flotilla ?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't know how reading the title of the thread could have given you that impression.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I don't know how anyone could look at it and think anything other than Homeworld.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Voyager I posted:

I don't know how reading the title of the thread could have given you that impression.

Oh my god, I actually did read only first two words from the title.
Being ashamed is an understatement.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Oh my god, I actually did read only first two words from the title.
Being ashamed is an understatement.

It's fine. Both Brendon (of BlendoGames/Flotilla/GravityBone) and I took our inspirations from the same place. Fun fact: We were cubemates during our first stint as professional designers on Full Spectrum Warrior 2. He was one of the people that convinced me to do indie stuff.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kairo posted:

It's fine. Both Brendon (of BlendoGames/Flotilla/GravityBone) and I took our inspirations from the same place. Fun fact: We were cubemates during our first stint as professional designers on Full Spectrum Warrior 2. He was one of the people that convinced me to do indie stuff.

You did work on Full Spectrum Warrior 2? Impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

kalstrams posted:

You did work on Full Spectrum Warrior 2? Impressive.

And also the space fighter level from Halo:Reach, IIRC.

• Locked thread