Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hey guys, Animal Crossing just isn't really my thing so I'm trading it in and picking up either Mario 3D Land or Donkey Kong 3D. I loved Donkey Country for SNES back in the day and I'm sort of tired of Mario, but I know Mario is supposed to be better. Keeping in mind that I have a 2DS, which should I snag?

I haven't played DK, but I just bought Mario and a 2DS last week, and I'm enjoying it. I haven't needed the 3D feature yet, but I'm only in the third world. My only complaint about the game is that levels feel like boxes, which is off putting. It's worth a playthrough for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hey guys, Animal Crossing just isn't really my thing so I'm trading it in and picking up either Mario 3D Land or Donkey Kong 3D. I loved Donkey Country for SNES back in the day and I'm sort of tired of Mario, but I know Mario is supposed to be better. Keeping in mind that I have a 2DS, which should I snag?

As somebody who is a hardcore DKC fan, I have really enjoyed Returns. It feels like more Donkey Kong Country. I also enjoyed Mario 3D Land, to me it's if you want more Mario 64, or more Donkey Kong Country.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

I was meaning to get this game for a while, so I guess it's a good thing I held off this long. My brother bought it back when it launched, and I only played a bit of it. At $8, I don't see myself being disappointed with this at all.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Louisgod posted:

I sent everybody on my list goatse a couple months ago, sorry guys.

I remember that. I got that note while on lunch break at work. It taught me to only check Swapnote at home (which I should have already known, since people drew all kinds of smut)

Man, I'm gonna miss Swapnote. Those were good times.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Shame about Swapnote getting the axe, I literally just picked up a 3DS yesterday.

Anyway, quick question, but what RPGs are worth picking up for this Britgoon? I have Soul Hackers and Tales of the Tempest, but what else is there? I tried the demos of Project X Zone and thought they were pretty good, but how is the rest of it? I actually liked SRW: OG Saga, for what it's worth, and this feels the exact same, but with characters from every niche game ever.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I tried the demos of Project X Zone and thought they were pretty good, but how is the rest of it?

Exactly the same, for another 40-50 hours. There is never any strategy, and the stages only get longer and more tedious given how you can master the gameplay in about 30 minutes if that.

The fanservice plot is funny in parts but that doesn't change the fact that you're doing the same thing over and over and over again.

I wouldn't call it bad, but I'd easily call it boring.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

greatn posted:

Most people including myself liked it and would rate it a second best in the series after Bowser's inside story. Some would rate it after the original superstar saga, but almost everyone would rank it far above Partners in Time.

The best part of Partners in Time was near the end of the game where you only have around 2/5 pieces of the macguffin, and it's like the developers were told right then and there that they ran out of time and/or budget because they just dump the rest of the pieces on you and send you straight to the final dungeon.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

How did people feel about Mario & Luigi?

Best Buy is selling it for 25 bucks this weekend and I'm looking for something to occupy myself till Zelda's out and Pokemon didn't really do much for me.

EDIT: \/\/ What if I never played any game in the series before? I didn't start playing GBA games till I bought a DS forever ago. :negative:

This is a bit of a weird complaint to have about a video game, but Mario & Luigi is TOO LONG. It's not necessarily bad, but it kind of drags and it feels like there's some filler content here and there. It's not an awful game like Sticker Star was, I like it as an entry in the M&L series, but it kinda...overstays its welcome? To be fair the original GBA game kind of had this problem too (It had like, 3 or 4 areas that felt like the final dungeon).

I still haven't finished it. It's not a game I can say is BAD by any means, it just requires a huge time investment.

Agit
Oct 19, 2008
Best Buy and Amazon sell the 3DS XL for 170$ and I need to buy one as a gift, but I'm not in a hurry as I won't be able to deliver the package till early December. Is it a good idea to buy one now, saving 30$, or should I wait for Black Friday? Is it common for the stores to run some promotions on Nintendo hardware during holidays? I know Zelda XL bundle is good value, but I'm not a fan of the color and I won't be buying it. Thanks!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Agit posted:

Best Buy and Amazon sell the 3DS XL for 170$ and I need to buy one as a gift, but I'm not in a hurry as I won't be able to deliver the package till early December. Is it a good idea to buy one now, saving 30$, or should I wait for Black Friday? Is it common for the stores to run some promotions on Nintendo hardware during holidays? I know Zelda XL bundle is good value, but I'm not a fan of the color and I won't be buying it. Thanks!

Black Friday has a Purple Luigi's Mansion 3DS and the Zelda 3DSXL at MSRP.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Shame about Swapnote getting the axe, I literally just picked up a 3DS yesterday.

Anyway, quick question, but what RPGs are worth picking up for this Britgoon? I have Soul Hackers and Tales of the Tempest, but what else is there? I tried the demos of Project X Zone and thought they were pretty good, but how is the rest of it? I actually liked SRW: OG Saga, for what it's worth, and this feels the exact same, but with characters from every niche game ever.

I really really like Radiant Historia. Its an original DS game but still works on the 3DS. It uses time travel to set you on branching paths in alternate universes that can affect each other, and the combat is very tactical and position focused.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Anyway, quick question, but what RPGs are worth picking up for this Britgoon? I have Soul Hackers and Tales of the Tempest, but what else is there?

Pokemon X/Y. If its out in Britland, Shin Megami Tensei 4 is great too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

nerdbot posted:

I still haven't finished it. It's not a game I can say is BAD by any means, it just requires a huge time investment.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll hold off for now then, since I have Zelda coming out in a few weeks and I've already got plenty of other stuff to keep me busy in the meantime.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
The downside of e-shop purchasing - I regret wasting $45 on Pokemon.

I've never played one in my life but goons keep recommending it as a decent RPG, so I just bought it anyway and am experiencing severe buyers remorse. It is just so painful to play, it's slow, boring, and has bloody framerate drops. It's like they're trying to shoehorn in a 20 year old game into slightly more modern hardware. Everything about it feels ancient and clumsy.

There was probably a demo I should have played to try it out instead of just throwing my money away but, if anyone is on the fence and hasn't played one before I would do a demo before buying and probably not bother buying at all.

I guess you have to have some sort of emotional attachment to the series to appreciate it maybe, but I really don't see why this game is getting any sort of promotion as an RPG worth buying.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I, on the other hand, find Pokemon X/Y to be perfectly fine. I love the aesthetic, I love the transition to 3D, and I love the attention to detail they put into the game. It's cartoonish, sure, but that's hardly a criticism, and the only slowdown I've ever gotten was when I had 3D on. The series has gotten much more streamlined since the first game in the mid-90s.

I dunno it sounds like you just don't like 90s-style RPGs and that's perfectly fine but not really something you can call a game out for being.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I just had to come and pay my respects for SwapNote. I have real life friends with 3DSes and that was a great way to keep in touch with them. It was great for sharing screenshots from Animal Crossing New Leaf.

I hope Nintendo releases a patch for SwapNote where they just turn off the image sharing. Better than no SwapNote at all. But I doubt they will. They'll probably release MiiVerse and/or FlipNote Studio 3D and be all like "Use this it is moderated, has a possible paywall, and is better!"

Farewell SwapNote. When my 3DS glowed blue I was all excited because I had a note. I'm really bummed over this :(

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just got notice. Colored Cradles are shipping.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spectacle Rock posted:

I just had to come and pay my respects for SwapNote. I have real life friends with 3DSes and that was a great way to keep in touch with them. It was great for sharing screenshots from Animal Crossing New Leaf.

I hope Nintendo releases a patch for SwapNote where they just turn off the image sharing. Better than no SwapNote at all. But I doubt they will. They'll probably release MiiVerse and/or FlipNote Studio 3D and be all like "Use this it is moderated, has a possible paywall, and is better!"

Farewell SwapNote. When my 3DS glowed blue I was all excited because I had a note. I'm really bummed over this :(

Flipnote 3D was also shut down.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

TollTheHounds posted:

The downside of e-shop purchasing - I regret wasting $45 on Pokemon.

I've never played one in my life but goons keep recommending it as a decent RPG, so I just bought it anyway and am experiencing severe buyers remorse. It is just so painful to play, it's slow, boring, and has bloody framerate drops. It's like they're trying to shoehorn in a 20 year old game into slightly more modern hardware. Everything about it feels ancient and clumsy.

There was probably a demo I should have played to try it out instead of just throwing my money away but, if anyone is on the fence and hasn't played one before I would do a demo before buying and probably not bother buying at all.

I guess you have to have some sort of emotional attachment to the series to appreciate it maybe, but I really don't see why this game is getting any sort of promotion as an RPG worth buying.

FWIW I had the opposite reaction. I hated Pokemon until this one but this is the first one that just clicked with me.

I think the addition of exp share early on really went a long way to making the game a lot more approachable. Also it really picks up after the 3rd gym or so.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

The White Dragon posted:

I, on the other hand, find Pokemon X/Y to be perfectly fine. I love the aesthetic, I love the transition to 3D, and I love the attention to detail they put into the game. It's cartoonish, sure, but that's hardly a criticism, and the only slowdown I've ever gotten was when I had 3D on. The series has gotten much more streamlined since the first game in the mid-90s.

I dunno it sounds like you just don't like 90s-style RPGs and that's perfectly fine but not really something you can call a game out for being.

But see - this is my point, you obviously have some sort of attachment to the series because you played it in the 90's. I love 90's RPG's but I do not like Pokemon. [edit to add] - It's just nostalgia for me too by the way, I love the 90's RPG format and even though Pokemon should be basically the same it just doesn't gel with me. I mean just because I like 7th Saga doesn't mean you will - I just have fond memories of playing it so I'm obviously biased.

So, it doesn't matter to me if the series is better now than it has ever been - if this is as good as it gets, it's clearly not my cup of tea.

Also - this is a Nintendo 3DS - why wouldn't I play a game with 3D capability, with 3D on? Why are you excusing a poorly made function of the game? If they can't implement 3D effects, on a 3D capable system, why bother at all?

robodex posted:

FWIW I had the opposite reaction. I hated Pokemon until this one but this is the first one that just clicked with me.

I think the addition of exp share early on really went a long way to making the game a lot more approachable. Also it really picks up after the 3rd gym or so.

I suppose this could be part of it, since I can't return it anyway I might as well give it another shot.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 1, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Some of the online features in Flipnote 3D had a subscription fee, didn't they? Has Nintendo said anything about refunding people for that? Because if they aren't planning to, that's really lovely.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Dehry posted:

Flipnote 3D was also shut down.

You've GOT to be kidding me? Isn't it moderated!? That looked like such a cool application that the West was supposed to get sometime! That's just super sad to can that too! I really wanted to draw some stuff in 3D. It just looked "cool."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TollTheHounds posted:

Also - this is a Nintendo 3DS - why wouldn't I play a game with 3D capability, with 3D on? Why are you excusing a poorly made function of the game? If they can't implement 3D effects, on a 3D capable system, why bother at all?
Then this line of thinking applies to nearly every game in the 3DS library since they all suffer some form of slowdown when you turn on 3D. Rendering that many more of the same image is tough, man.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://colorslive.com/download_3ds

This is now your only option to draw 3D dicks on 3DS. And that's only because Nintendo doesn't run the server.

The White Dragon posted:

Then this line of thinking applies to nearly every game in the 3DS library since they all suffer some form of slowdown when you turn on 3D. Rendering that many more of the same image is tough, man.

Don't get me started on what happens to Sonic Lost World when 3D is on.

E:

Nintendo 3DS Service User Agreement posted:

Updated November 1st 2013

We may change, suspend, or discontinue the Nintendo 3DS Service, or any feature or aspect of the Nintendo 3DS Service, at any time, with or without notice to you, and without liability to us. This includes, but is not limited to, the availability of all or any portion of the Nintendo 3DS Service, Content, Products, the amount of funds required to redeem particular Content or Products, and the terms and conditions affecting your Shop Account.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 1, 2013

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

The White Dragon posted:

I honestly have never noticed the framerate being different between 3d being off/on in any other games other than Castlevania ( and now Pokemon ), but I always play with 3D on full all the time anyway so if there WAS a difference I wouldn't see it. I'm not saying it doesn't decrease when you turn it on but the change must not be drastic enough for me to notice. With Pokemon in particular it is so obvious I can't ignore it and it seems bizarre that they would do this - unless it was never supposed to be in 3D and they threw it on as an afterthought.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TollTheHounds posted:

unless it was never supposed to be in 3D and they threw it on as an afterthought.
Pretty much. It was a fairly last-minute addition, which is why it isn't optimized and also why it only appears under certain circumstances.

The 3D slowdown isn't really a thing with "2D 3D" games like anything by Atlus, but I pretty much can't play OoT or Mario Kart with it on. It's not too bad in Luigi's Mansion either but it's still definitely there, but then, I've always been a frame-noticer.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Some of the online features in Flipnote 3D had a subscription fee, didn't they? Has Nintendo said anything about refunding people for that? Because if they aren't planning to, that's really lovely.

The for-pay bits are still there, as - I guess - they're moderated. It's the - free - friends gallery that's gone.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The White Dragon posted:

The 3D slowdown isn't really a thing with "2D 3D" games like anything by Atlus, but I pretty much can't play OoT or Mario Kart with it on. It's not too bad in Luigi's Mansion either but it's still definitely there, but then, I've always been a frame-noticer.

What? MK7 is one of the few games with solid 60FPS, even in 3D, whereas Luigi's Mansion chugs like hell even when it's off.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What? MK7 is one of the few games with solid 60FPS, even in 3D, whereas Luigi's Mansion chugs like hell even when it's off.
I must be misremembering, it's been a while since I played it. The point stands, though, that it's not really a criticism unique to X/Y.

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol

Canned Panda posted:

So, Nintendo shutdown the SpotPass feature on Swapnote/Letter Box, because people were sending offensive stuff.

God drat it Mike!

This is all my fault... I spotpassed a drawing I made of Penis Mario with a giant phallus to Miyamoto and I guess he didn't like it. :(

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Canned Panda posted:

So, Nintendo shutdown the SpotPass feature on Swapnote/Letter Box, because people were sending offensive stuff.

God drat it Mike!

At least our children are now safe from pictures of dicks.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Just picked up two 3DS XLs for my girlfriend and I! We're really enjoying Luigi's Mansion, are there any other goon recommended co-op games we can play together?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Just picked up two 3DS XLs for my girlfriend and I! We're really enjoying Luigi's Mansion, are there any other goon recommended co-op games we can play together?

I think most Virtual Console games support two-player via Download Play.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I think none of the Virtual Console games support two-player via Download Play.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

At least Ice Climbers, Balloon Fighter, Mario and Yoshi, and Super C do.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Color Printer posted:

At least Ice Climbers, Balloon Fighter, Mario and Yoshi, and Super C do.

Huh, I had to manually search for Ice Climber to update my ambassador version, but yeah, it's definitely there. Weird, I figured they would've made a bigger deal of it.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Huh, I had to manually search for Ice Climber to update my ambassador version, but yeah, it's definitely there. Weird, I figured they would've made a bigger deal of it.

They had press releases about it when the updates first hit, a long time ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NES/Game Gear games have local Download Play multiplayer, Game Boy games don't.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

If I loved Devil Survivor, should I get SMT 4? I've heard it's brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If I loved Devil Survivor, should I get SMT 4? I've heard it's brutal.

Yes.

• Locked thread