Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Drifter posted:

Oh god yes, the nerd rage over having Green Arrow be a metahuman/supersoldier!!!!

I don't think that will happen, specifically because everyone in the show so far is normal human, just good at things. If you start getting into superhuman, that's a whole different can of worms.

Even if there's Lazarus Pit business, that still isn't really any different than normal human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Everyone keeps mentioning the Lazarus pits. Wikipedia is telling me the basics. The pits seem kind of not what this show is going for. They aren't technically superpowers, but they just seem a little too fantastical to be on this show. They seem more plot devicey and out there than a lot of superpowers too. Also, resurrecting characters on TV is mostly in the realm of soap operas. I just don't really see Arrow going that direction.

Maybe the pits are a bigger deal in the comics/other media than I'm giving them credit for, but I just don't really see the jump from Ra's al Ghul mention to there will be Lazarus pits in this mostly realistic TV show. This is more of a general post talking about the entire thread rather than a response to the last page. I've been seeing a lot of pit stuff and I don't really get it.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Lazarus Pit & Ra's al Ghul have gone hand in hand since his original appearance so it's just natural to assume its existence. No, it doesn't mean the subject will be broached but the implication that a character was 'resurrected' pretty much means we have to salivate at the possibility of its existence until the explanation is handed to us.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Lazarus pits pretty much the magic retcon machine of the DC world. Character loses powers, or dies... Lazarus Pit. Few hours in a warm bath and presto.

Black Canary is brought back from the brink of death in a LP, and gets her cry back, which she had lost prior, Robin Jason Todd is brought back after he's killed by the Joker, minus a few screws and becomes Red Hood

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
We also know that superpowered people will be introduced this season with the Flash.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

packsmack posted:

Also, resurrecting characters on TV is mostly in the realm of soap operas.

Not to be too mean, but what are you talking about this show has soap pouring out of its pores.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hi liter posted:

Not to be too mean, but what are you talking about this show has soap pouring out of its pores.

It is also based off a comic book character and the only characters that have died and remained dead is Uncle Ben.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's nailing the balance between soap, action and fantasy... Hope Nightwing makes an appearance.. no powers, just a badass.

bobkatt013 posted:

It is also based off a comic book character and the only characters that have died and remained dead is Uncle Ben.

And Mr & Mrs Wayne.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I would literally squeal if this were to happen. I had my hopes up last season when they had poo poo going down in Bludhaven which is where Nightwing (who is Dick Grayson the first Robin for the non-comic folks) is based out of.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah when they mentioned Bludhaven i think my heart skipped a beat

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Has anyone in the show ever questioned what the tattoos Ollie has mean, when/were he got them, or why he has them? I know he can just lie about what they mean, the Russian tattoo, but having it never mentioned is annoying me unless I'm mistaken and they have.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Has anyone in the show ever questioned what the tattoos Ollie has mean, when/were he got them, or why he has them? I know he can just lie about what they mean, the Russian tattoo, but having it never mentioned is annoying me unless I'm mistaken and they have.

They said in an interview that the tattoos haven't gone unnoticed and will be explained later.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Re-watching season 1, the episodes dealing with Laurel's mother popping up to deal with the lost daughter fake out feel like filler and stupid now that she's actually turned up and as a different actress. Oh well.

Everything else has still mostly held up quite well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ingram posted:

Re-watching season 1, the episodes dealing with Laurel's mother popping up to deal with the lost daughter fake out feel like filler and stupid now that she's actually turned up and as a different actress. Oh well.

Everything else has still mostly held up quite well.

Why is it stupid? It was just some bad luck to see a girl that she thought 'could've' looked like her daughter on a bad day. It wasn't bad filler, it gave that family room to grow (apart) together. And it showed Laurel has some dope rear end detective skills.

And just think how badly Laurel'll feel when she learns that her sister WAS alive after all this time. She murdered her boyfriend, she gave up on her sister and actively worked to disprove her aliveliness...dang, girl, you gonna have some emotional problems

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

packsmack posted:

Also, resurrecting characters on TV is mostly in the realm of soap operas. I just don't really see Arrow going that direction.
This show literally just had Sara return from the dead.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Also this show is practically a soap opera.

In an awesome way but still.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

BrianWilly posted:

This show literally just had Sara return from the dead.

I am pretty sure she didn't actually die on the boat when she got swept overboard, and so there is a chance that her second death was similar, in that she was just presumed dead.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Really, for all intents and purposes it's the same thing. The show told us point blank that the character was dead. They had a multi-episode arc devoted to proving that she was forreal gone and that anyone thinking she's alive is wrong.

And now she's alive again, after casting a different actress in the role. I think the revelation was done well, but it's still a critical mass soapy soap opera revelation.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I came at the "sara is alive" twist from a very different direction. If they had just shown her getting sucked down a whirlpool like in the pilot and that was it, the reveal would have felt cheap.

But the entire point of Laurel's mother coming back was to place the seed that Sara was still alive. I walked away from those episodes going "they're laying track to bring her back if they want." Its not the most elegant of foreshadowing, but it felt like they were playing fair.

And I think Lazarus pits could work, if they tone them down. I've ALWAYS hated the idea that in the entire DC universe, its Batman who has a villain that literally has a "I can bring back anyone from the dead whenever I want" card.

If they amplified strength or even slowed down aging, I could see it slotting nicely into Arrow's world.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
The only time this show has cheated death was when they introduced that sleeper move. Choking someone out until they appear dead, and then hitting them to wake them up.

The other times with Deadshot and Sarah didn't actually show a dead body. Deadshot got hit in the eye and then his body disappeared, and Sarah was just shown being lost at sea.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Malcom's ideals in dealing with the glades is League of Shadows 101. At least Batman Begins Ra's levels. I wonder if we'll see Malcom return in the flashbacks at some point.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
From a few pages back

JohnSherman posted:

Well, at least now we know for sure that the "we have the island plot mapped out for five seasons" claims were bullshit.

I'm not sure this is true. Up until the boat, island-Oliver is a slightly battle-worn but happy guy with a girlfriend and a grouchy but good-natured older brother, which is a far cry from the scraggly, shell-shocked loner who was rescued 5 years later. There would have to be at least some idea of what happened in the interim.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I am not ok with the lack of Slade in my life.

I really want to see how Slade become's Ollie's enemy.

Spoilered for comic/other media things.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Something no one seems to have hit yet (unless I'm bad at reading posts) is that the photo used in the Sarah is Alive!(?) arc and her 'keeping her head down' look in the hospital? Same getup. Or at least I remember the hat distinctly. I need to go rewatch those episodes, but I don't think it's as much of an rear end-pull as you guys are billing it to be.

Or it might be a total rear end pull and they have that small little thread to justify it.

Ingram posted:

Malcom's ideals in dealing with the glades is League of Shadows 101. At least Batman Begins Ra's levels. I wonder if we'll see Malcom return in the flashbacks at some point.

This is pretty much League of Assassins SOP in every media I've read. Merlyn's almost certainly trained by the LoA, and I expect we'll see plenty more LoA supervillains in the future, seeing as we know that Black Canary is a ("former") member. It's one of the reasons I really want Lazarus pits (or some WWII superscience knock-off version) to be a thing. I'd love to see Barrowman do present Merlyn again. Hell, him coming back even more crazy after Ra's dips him in the drink and being obsessed with dunking Tommy and his wife in the pits would be something I'd like to see Barrowman sell.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought Sarah was still alive from the moment in the pilot where she washed away. That death screams fake out and always did.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm honestly struggling to comprehend how anyone, let alone a genre savvy goon, could have seen those first few episodes and not just assumed she'd be revealed to be alive at some point.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm honestly struggling to comprehend how anyone, let alone a genre savvy goon, could have seen those first few episodes and not just assumed she'd be revealed to be alive at some point.

It was like, a time ago dude.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Also, it might be rare, but sometimes, people do in fact die for good, and assuming that every single apparent death (including some cases you see on-screen) is fake can get tiring. Oliver, his father and another guy made it to a life raft. The open ocean is notorious for not having a lot of places to hide on top of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Also, it might be rare, but sometimes, people do in fact die for good

Not in comic books.

People used to say "No death is permanent except for Uncle Ben, Jason Todd and Bucky." 2 of those are alive.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I just caught up with the show today. Man alive, the last season ended well. The show is pretty dumb at times, and the storyline has a lot of accidentally horrible implications (Justice is not applicable to family members and DUIs should go unpunished!), but it's fun and the overall narrative arcs are a lot more thrilling and satisfying than anything else on TV.

I hope they make good use of Sara Lance and don't just repeat the Huntress plot here. (I guess she already stopped herself killing that one dude)

Also learned that I should really be careful of mousing over spoilers in this thread!

The Lord Bude posted:

I spent two seasons of the similar show Nikita expecting her dead lover and the impetus of her vengeance to come back from the dead and reveal that he was a spy and "it was all part of the plan". But they had the restraint not to do a Chuck. :colbert:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I am actually genuinely curious what happens to Sarah in the five years now though. I mean, she was washed out to sea, but Ollie doesn't see her until what, almost half a year or a year later when she's apparently going to torture him on the Amazo? And something happens with the ship because it's pretty clear it gets blown in half from the premiere. Where Sarah went from there (and to get to joining the LoA anyways) and what happened to Ollie and crew is pretty interesting now.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

VagueRant posted:

I just caught up with the show today. Man alive, the last season ended well. The show is pretty dumb at times, and the storyline has a lot of accidentally horrible implications (Justice is not applicable to family members and DUIs should go unpunished!), but it's fun and the overall narrative arcs are a lot more thrilling and satisfying than anything else on TV.

I hope they make good use of Sara Lance and don't just repeat the Huntress plot here. (I guess she already stopped herself killing that one dude)

Also learned that I should really be careful of mousing over spoilers in this thread!
I spent two seasons of the similar show Nikita expecting her dead lover and the impetus of her vengeance to come back from the dead and reveal that he was a spy and "it was all part of the plan". But they had the restraint not to do a Chuck. :colbert:

And in Chuck's defense, it was really more a show about goofy spy adventures and romances than serious plot drama. Though it did love trying plot drama.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How long has Oliver been on the Island at this point and back in the City? I am unclear on how long he's been on the island at this point in the series. Has it been a couple of months ? A year? How long has he been back?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

And in Chuck's defense, it was really more a show about goofy spy adventures and romances than serious plot drama. Though it did love trying plot drama.

The biggest thing in defence of Chuck was that the writers constantly got screwed over by the threat of cancellation. I imagine it's difficult to write a cohesive overarching plotline when the threat of cancellation means you have to write 5 different episodes that could serve as the conclusion of the show.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
They were pretty clear on it last episode. Oliver had been on the island about 1 year before the boat showed up with Sarah. They made mention of spending 5 months stuck there after Feyes died.

It's been about a year since Oliver returned from his 5-year shipwreck adventure.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

It's likely that each season will be about a year on and off the island. I believe they want to keep it contemporary.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Just caught up with this. I never got into Smallville and was really skeptical about Arrow being good, but the scene in the pilot where Oliver give the warmest greeting to their house keeper put all concerns to rest that showed the people behind the show liked the character and knew the character. Its real been good show all round, also makes good use of the source materiel where comic fans get enough nods but non readers don't have to dig through Wikipedia articles.

hi liter posted:

I would literally squeal if this were to happen. I had my hopes up last season when they had poo poo going down in Bludhaven which is where Nightwing (who is Dick Grayson the first Robin for the non-comic folks) is based out of.

Not after Slade turned into a toxic wasteland.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 5, 2013

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I'm pretty sure they've said that the Island storyline is happening in tandem with the main plot, always exactly five years beforehand, so the Island plot is meant to end in Season 5 with Ollie getting rescued.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

The biggest thing in defence of Chuck was that the writers constantly got screwed over by the threat of cancellation. I imagine it's difficult to write a cohesive overarching plotline when the threat of cancellation means you have to write 5 different episodes that could serve as the conclusion of the show.

Chuck's writers almost all left for other shows by the end of the third season, the second season crew pretty much all got replaced. Off the top of my head they went to V, Flashforward and a couple other sci-fi TV shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

JohnSherman posted:

Well, at least now we know for sure that the "we have the island plot mapped out for five seasons" claims were bullshit.

What about this episode makes you think those claims were bullshit?

• Locked thread