Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I really hope that Enemy Within sells well. Firaxis have a bit of a track record with expansions - the first is decent, but the second is fantastic. I think the game could support one last batch of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

"I guess we should just be thankful it wasn't a cruiseliner" :allears:

Shame the guys playing were completely stupid but eh. That 'extra-shot if you're close to the enemy' genemod sounds completely obscene if combined with a Heavy with Bulletstorm. Glad the invisibility gene-mod activates before you move, makes it much more useful. The dense map with lots of small avenues full of chrysalids looks great though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think we're in a great spot if you like x-com, to be honest. You got the new xpac coming out which will give you more of this x-com, and if you like the old stuff, Xenonauts is coming along nicely.

Can't really be happier at the moment.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Dominic White posted:

I really hope that Enemy Within sells well. Firaxis have a bit of a track record with expansions - the first is decent, but the second is fantastic. I think the game could support one last batch of content.

It was a top seller as soon as it went available on steam for pre-orders so prospects can't be bad.

And, for such a niche title, there's been a lot of buzz.

Anyhow, I took a day off for this game. I really can't wait. Just not sure if I should play classic or impossible..been playing impossible on all my runs because classic became a little too easy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

zylche posted:

"I guess we should just be thankful it wasn't a cruiseliner" :allears:

Shame the guys playing were completely stupid but eh. That 'extra-shot if you're close to the enemy' genemod sounds completely obscene if combined with a Heavy with Bulletstorm. Glad the invisibility gene-mod activates before you move, makes it much more useful. The dense map with lots of small avenues full of chrysalids looks great though.
The what-now? Because the Assault skill Close and Personal has been reworked to give you a free shot at close range, as I recall. The combination of the two has to be incredible.

edit: vvvv drat. I was hoping the two would synergize.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 3, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

The what-now? Because the Assault skill Close and Personal has been reworked to give you a free shot at close range, as I recall. The combination of the two has to be incredible.
I misinterpreted what was happening, didn't notice they reworked Close & Personal. Although Second Wave Optimal Heavy looks promising :getin:

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but here is a playthrough of the whale Council Mission in EW by Adam Sessler and some other dudes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Ssyu2P34E

The decisions made are pretty questionable, but.. :stare:

along the way fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 3, 2013

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

That mission was great. It's a big map but not as linear feeling as some current maps like the alien base. I'm psyched to play that.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I wasn't exactly in love with the people in that video, but I enjoyed the playthrough. Are there any other video LPs or just level playthroughs that people could recommend?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

My face that entire mission was pretty much just locked in :magical:

I can't loving wait for the 12th.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

I wasn't exactly in love with the people in that video, but I enjoyed the playthrough. Are there any other video LPs or just level playthroughs that people could recommend?

I liked that they were (at least verbally) appropriately cautions. The guy playing kept telling them cover was meaningless but they wanted that cover. What was really goddammn questionable was sprinting the sniper past his other guys so he revealed the chryssalids. That was really dumb.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ananda Gupta posted:

C-Hive is always the first Council mission after you fight them for 1st time, the 1st time you play. After that, it joins the random pool
:getin:

Quift
May 11, 2012
What was horrible was how that huy thoguht that he playyed cautiously. He dashed into unnknows territory onmultiple occasions, and all of his losses would have been easily preventable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dominic White posted:

I really don't want to see another xcom expansion. I'm kind of bummed we're getting this one. I'd rather see them make a totally new game with the core mechanics reworked and improved.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Pimpmust posted:

I still think XCOM 2 should go with a default of ca 8 squadmembers and then ramp it up to 10-12, just to avoid the "extremes" that develops due to the low unit count combined with "deep" leveling currently in place which makes the Hard Start / Easy end even more pronounced than in the original games.

Here's hoping they get a bigger budget too, now that they've proven to the corporate overlords that FPS >=! Tactical.

Well you can edit your game so the Skyranger can carry more guys. I'm currently fiddling around with it and 12 work fine, but the kicker is that you will only have 6 guys in your default landing zone with the other 6 getting dropped somewhere else on the map, which gives you a nice random drop feeling. Also in the squad setup I can only edit the default 6 guys while the others are automatically selected, not sure what happens when one dies.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

10-12 could possibly bog down the game and undo a lot of the streamlining fans want, but I genuinely think starting with 6 and going to 8 squad members would be nothing but a flat improvement for everyone. It would provide a lot of flexibility for the game designers in general (for map design, enemy designs, game balance, etc) and would expedite the players getting into the more interesting parts of the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 4, 2013

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

10-12 could possibly bog down the much and undo a lot of the streamlining fans want, but I genuinely think starting with 6 and going to 8 squad members would be nothing but a flat improvement for everyone. It would provide a lot of flexibility for the game designers in general (for map design, enemy designs, game balance, etc) and would expedite the players getting into the more interesting parts of the game.

I'm not so sure, there is barely enough cover to go around in some maps as is now, and to provide enough for 8 people would involve creating enough hard cover that concealment making enemies a bitch to find could become an issue. This is of course conjecture pulled straight out of my rear end, so take it as you will.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm not so sure, there is barely enough cover to go around in some maps as is now, and to provide enough for 8 people would involve creating enough hard cover that concealment making enemies a bitch to find could become an issue. This is of course conjecture pulled straight out of my rear end, so take it as you will.

Which is why we're talking about what the sequel should be. Obviously it would have almost entirely new maps or enhanced/expanded versions of existing maps, built around larger squad sizes if they go that route.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Straight remake of the original. Literally zero updates except for the graphical fidelity. GUI, lack of tooltips and difficulty remain untouched.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Really looking forward to this expansion. Going to play on classic for the first time (only played the original campaign once on normal) so this should be interesting. Only thing I'm worried about is getting pissed off if I gently caress up a few times, only get a little bit to play games these days so that might get frustrating if I end up feeling like I wasted a night. Then again it could end up being great value if it lasts me for months.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

10-12 could possibly bog down the much and undo a lot of the streamlining fans want, but I genuinely think starting with 6 and going to 8 squad members would be nothing but a flat improvement for everyone. It would provide a lot of flexibility for the game designers in general (for map design, enemy designs, game balance, etc) and would expedite the players getting into the more interesting parts of the game.

Yes, 12 is definitely too much, I was testing what the limit is. Of 5 missions I had one random crash (not sure if it's related to the edited .exe) and one time Team Redshirt spawned underground. Currently trying to figure out how the system picks the guys who get on the 2nd (invisible) Skyranger.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I am playing long war 2 beta, anyone know if it is normal for every single abduction mission to award you money? I am 3 months in and still only have 14 scientists and 16 engineers :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

wolfman101 posted:

I am playing long war 2 beta, anyone know if it is normal for every single abduction mission to award you money? I am 3 months in and still only have 14 scientists and 16 engineers :(

It's random.
You just got :xcom:'d

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

poptart_fairy posted:

Straight remake of the original. Literally zero updates except for the graphical fidelity. GUI, lack of tooltips and difficulty remain untouched.

That would be awful.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Personally I'd like to see the same thing as XCOM 2013 but with somewhat more detailed battlescape and totally reworked geoscape, to be more like Civilization. Actual AI player, globally controlling the aliens instead of a scripted abstraction.

poptart_fairy posted:

There's always OpenXcom.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jack Trades posted:

There's always OpenXcom.

OpenXcom loving owns. Also it works perfectly with the Steam version :gaben:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jack Trades posted:

Personally I'd like to see the same thing as XCOM 2013 but with somewhat more detailed battlescape and totally reworked geoscape, to be more like Civilization. Actual AI player, globally controlling the aliens instead of a scripted abstraction.

An AI player that played by different rules would not be much different from a scripted abstraction. I mean the original X-Com was actually fairly scripted, too, it just gave you the illusion that it was particularly dynamic.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Panzeh posted:

An AI player that played by different rules would not be much different from a scripted abstraction. I mean the original X-Com was actually fairly scripted, too, it just gave you the illusion that it was particularly dynamic.
It could be expanded into multiple factions like Apocalypse. Really a more flexible system and fewer fixed story soundbytes in missions would be great.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
The extraction phase of that fishing village mission seems a little silly - if you just keep dashing the chryssladids will never be able to attack you until you reach the extraction zone / edge of the map! Funny that Sessler commentated that the simple math of it was "luck."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

zylche posted:

It could be expanded into multiple factions like Apocalypse. Really a more flexible system and fewer fixed story soundbytes in missions would be great.

Yeah, some more varied missions would be a good thing.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

poptart_fairy posted:

Sounds like you need to play this instead.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've never played the original! Only heard terrible, terrible stories. :ohdear:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Space Hamlet posted:

The extraction phase of that fishing village mission seems a little silly - if you just keep dashing the chryssladids will never be able to attack you until you reach the extraction zone / edge of the map! Funny that Sessler commentated that the simple math of it was "luck."

In a way it was, just not as he was thinking it. It only would have taken 1 pack in the way for someone to get trapped and die

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I never played the original X-com; but looking at it from having EU being my first game, I want to say that I like the latter better. With 12 people or so I just get the feeling I won't be as attached to my soldiers as I am right now, plus having that many people just feels like I could just meat-grinder without any strong tactics like I have to pull in EU.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

poptart_fairy posted:

I've never played the original! Only heard terrible, terrible stories. :ohdear:

It's why we have openxcom. Literally ten times better because the interface is no longer as obtuse and terrible. It has goddamned tooltips.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Brainamp posted:

It's why we have openxcom. Literally ten times better because the interface is no longer as obtuse and terrible. It has goddamned tooltips.

Oh poo poo, you're right. I only just made that connection in my head, haha.

Might have to look into it at some point then.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
The expansion sounds absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to play it, but one thing worries me - the game will be way way easier. I mean, the new gene modifications, mechs etc. I just can't see any downside, the aliens only get few new units and no new abilities or weapons (I think), but Xcom gets a shitton of stuff.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Attention Horse posted:

The expansion sounds absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to play it, but one thing worries me - the game will be way way easier. I mean, the new gene modifications, mechs etc. I just can't see any downside, the aliens only get few new units and no new abilities or weapons (I think), but Xcom gets a shitton of stuff.

They have buffed up the later game enemies and things like Sectopods will overwatch on discovery instead of running off, so it'll probably be at least equally difficult.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

It's random.
You just got :xcom:'d

Actually in Long War you only get cash for abductions. To get scientists and engineers you need to get them from the monthly council report, build labs/workshops, or complete council missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

quote:

Sectopod changes have been confirmed in later interview, stating that they get a new passive ability called Reinforced Armor which will cut all incoming damage in half.

:wtc: This sounds insane. I guess it won't be easy after all.

• Locked thread