Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees CCNP Security is done! Passed VPN today. Woot woot!

I'm in the VMWare class at Stanly so the VCP is next on my list but then I'm not sure what path I'd like to pursue. I was thinking possibly CCIE Security, but I'm a bit burnt out on that. I was thinking about venturing over to CCNP R&S or CCNA Voice/Wireless. Decisions, decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Shoot for the new hotness and get CCNA Data Center

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Haydez posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees CCNP Security is done! Passed VPN today. Woot woot!

I'm in the VMWare class at Stanly so the VCP is next on my list but then I'm not sure what path I'd like to pursue. I was thinking possibly CCIE Security, but I'm a bit burnt out on that. I was thinking about venturing over to CCNP R&S or CCNA Voice/Wireless. Decisions, decisions.

Textbooks for wireless and data centre just came out, or will be out shortly. Already got them on my shopping list for 2014!

Lammle wrote both data centre books for 640-911 and 640-916 (out in February).

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 31, 2013

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Took the VCA-DCV exam and passed it. Spent all day today watching the video from VMware for the VCA-Cloud exam. Get home and sit down to take the exam, and it turns out the exam expired 11 minutes before I got home. I knew I should have just sat at work and taken the exam, but I thought I had 4 hours after I got home to take it. Oh well, I'll check on it tomorrow morning and reschedule it since it's an online exam anyways, but I really wanted to knock it out after spending 4.5 hours watching the video and taking notes.

I may not know the actual details of how vCloud Director and all the rest of those applications work, but by God I will have the salesperson cert for them!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Took the VCA-DCV exam and passed it. Spent all day today watching the video from VMware for the VCA-Cloud exam. Get home and sit down to take the exam, and it turns out the exam expired 11 minutes before I got home. I knew I should have just sat at work and taken the exam, but I thought I had 4 hours after I got home to take it. Oh well, I'll check on it tomorrow morning and reschedule it since it's an online exam anyways, but I really wanted to knock it out after spending 4.5 hours watching the video and taking notes.

I may not know the actual details of how vCloud Director and all the rest of those applications work, but by God I will have the salesperson cert for them!

Were you able to get in on the free exam? If not... welp, if nothing else it sets you up for taking the VCP course in the future.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
new promo code, exp 11/15: VCA13ICS

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 1, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CrazyLittle posted:

A google search for that code turned up several more. I haven't tried any of them so who knows.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

CrazyLittle posted:

VCA13GKN still worked when I tried it this morning
VCA13BCN might also work, but I haven't tried it.

I took the VCA-Cloud exam this morning and it was a copper-plated bitch because of all the drat products they throw at you. I had six pages of typed notes with extensive background information and detail (took me like six hours to watch a three hour video), and even then I only managed a 300 out of 500. My co-worker, who had even more notes, only managed a score of 283. It's not so much that they go into any depth about the products, it's just that there are so drat many of them that it's easy to get that poo poo confused. Oh well - a pass is a pass.

And just to inflict more pain, I went ahead and signed up for the VCA-Mobility exam. The video is even longer than the Cloud one, and I have until Sunday morning to finish it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

So Microsoft is dropping the VM gauntlet and giving away one of their Hyper-V certifications in an attempt to best VMware current giveaway. Go here to have a look, but the links are broken...I cant sign up for any of it. The test is the 74-409 test and hey any free cert is a good cert.

(Warning: Reddit) Link

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 2, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is that MS cert a rubber stamp joke like the VCA or closer to the VCP end? Phone browsing at the moment so hard to tell.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
FYI potential VCP's may want to try and take the VCP for 5.1 ASAP after the class, stuff may/may not be updating shortly after January. If taking in after Feb study the hell out of 5.5

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 2, 2013

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Docjowles posted:

Is that MS cert a rubber stamp joke like the VCA or closer to the VCP end? Phone browsing at the moment so hard to tell.

I'd venture closer to the VCP side, it's only a single cert so there' not expecting expert level architecture knowledge just 'this is Hyper-V/SCVMM and this proves i can work it'

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
CCIE R&S v5 Updates coming

http://blog.ine.com/2013/10/31/routing-and-switching-ccie-version-5-update/

Hopefully this slows down the adoption rate.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Nebulis01 posted:

I'd venture closer to the VCP side, it's only a single cert so there' not expecting expert level architecture knowledge just 'this is Hyper-V/SCVMM and this proves i can work it'

They want you to basically deploy a hyper-v production environment. I don't know how two days of 9:00am to 4:00pm sessions to cover all that information is going to allow anyone to pass that test.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 2, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

incoherent posted:

They want you to basically deploy a hyper-v production environment. I don't know how two days of 9:00pm to 4:00pm sessions to cover all that information is going to allow anyone to pass that test.

Neat. I only touch Linux these days (and don't want to go back to Windows!) so it's kind of an academic question for me, but that sure sounds like a better cert and a better use of time than VMware's free certs.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

Docjowles posted:

Man, rubber stamp is right about VCA. I have next to no experience in VMware and I took the workforce mobility one because it's something I'm going to investigate implementing at work eventually, and hey, free exam. Three hours of videos and some note taking during them, and that's all it took to become VMware Certified at the lowest level.

I literally felt dirty afterwards.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Got my A+, only had a few wonky questions about how many pins hardware component _____ has. Now I either start on Network+ or my boss is gonna jump that and make me learn Crystal Reports or Kofax to specifically help the business, not excited about that as I doubt they will help me jump ship like a+ and n+.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CDW posted:

Got my A+, only had a few wonky questions about how many pins hardware component _____ has. Now I either start on Network+ or my boss is gonna jump that and make me learn Crystal Reports or Kofax to specifically help the business, not excited about that as I doubt they will help me jump ship like a+ and n+.

Depends where you want to go with your career. If you like the very technical side of things and are shooting to become a sysadmin or network engineer, Crystal Reports and whatever the hell Kofax is is not going to be terribly interesting or take you very far. If you like the reporting and business analytics stuff, then those products are probably right up your alley.

We could give you better advice if you elaborate on what you want to be doing a year or two from now.

edit: congrats on passing :cheers:

workape
Jul 23, 2002

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

CCIE R&S v5 Updates coming

http://blog.ine.com/2013/10/31/routing-and-switching-ccie-version-5-update/

Hopefully this slows down the adoption rate.

gently caress me in the rear end. Those look like great updates if it wasn't the fact that I have spent the last couple of months stuffing half the dropped poo poo into my head in an attempt to try and get my lab in before the end of the year. I might just got into wait and see mode here and do the v5 lab, i've got plenty of time from my written.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

workape posted:

gently caress me in the rear end. Those look like great updates if it wasn't the fact that I have spent the last couple of months stuffing half the dropped poo poo into my head in an attempt to try and get my lab in before the end of the year. I might just got into wait and see mode here and do the v5 lab, i've got plenty of time from my written.

Lab won't change until March most are suggesting.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Depends where you want to go with your career. If you like the very technical side of things and are shooting to become a sysadmin or network engineer, Crystal Reports and whatever the hell Kofax is is not going to be terribly interesting or take you very far. If you like the reporting and business analytics stuff, then those products are probably right up your alley.

We could give you better advice if you elaborate on what you want to be doing a year or two from now.

edit: congrats on passing :cheers:

Thanks, Kofax is a document management system that we would use for OCR to easily store sales contracts and such.

Right now, I'm getting f'd in the a on pay because I came in as Help Desk IT helper monkey, then the rest of the IT dept quit and now I'm the only person shouldering the load instead of 3.

I manage our phone systems, 6 physical servers with 10 virtual servers, all the user support here, about 30 people, and support for about 800 customers in terms of network issues and crap.

I'd actually like this job if my pay about doubled, and I had a helper monkey so I'm not wasted on the low level stuff.

Long term, I think I need Network+, maybe windows certs for Server and Windows 7/8 to show I'm competent on paper, and from this current work enviroment my life would be much easier if I knew SQL.

Any suggestions?

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

workape posted:

Well time to start, start & restart again, LOL

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

Passed the CCNA SP part 1 exam a couple of weeks ago, amusingly, both labs were about Cisco proprietary protocols. Just this last week I attended a training course for part 2, and it was a hell of a grind. Thankfully I get hands on exposure with IOS XR at work, so hopefully it will help me keep sharp when I write the next test in two more weeks.

Oh, and I just discovered that I passed the Mobility+ beta exam! The passing mark seems quite low at 720/900 so if you want a MDM cert of extremely questionable value, I imagine it's going live pretty soon.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

workape posted:

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Lab won't change until March most are suggesting.

If you are almost ready to take a lab then March is plenty of runway. I always recommend taking it within 6-8 weeks of the first attempt, that gives you time to study and you wont forget and have to start over. Take the lab in Dec. and then go back late Jan. if you don't pass.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

dotster posted:

If you are almost ready to take a lab then March is plenty of runway. I always recommend taking it within 6-8 weeks of the first attempt, that gives you time to study and you wont forget and have to start over. Take the lab in Dec. and then go back late Jan. if you don't pass.

It would be one thing if I actually had a chance to focus. I've been running wireless tests and prepping for my VCP (next monday, wheee). Pretty much everything around my IE has fallen by the wayside. I've taken and passed 7 tests in the past month or so, a couple were the straight retarded partner tests, but the rest required at least some level of studying.

Ugh just thinking about all those loving tests makes me want to stab out my eyes.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

workape posted:

It would be one thing if I actually had a chance to focus. I've been running wireless tests and prepping for my VCP (next monday, wheee). Pretty much everything around my IE has fallen by the wayside. I've taken and passed 7 tests in the past month or so, a couple were the straight retarded partner tests, but the rest required at least some level of studying.

Ugh just thinking about all those loving tests makes me want to stab out my eyes.

7 is a lot in a month. I have to get my VCP done here soon, next few weeks. My CCIE doesn't expire until late 2017 and I can go emeritus till late 2027 so I will probably never bother to re-cert again unless someone is gonna pay me more to be active.

If you are not heads down on CCIE that is another thing, I read that like you were working on that not 10 other things. :)

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Cisco kind of tossed a monkey wrench into my certification plans with them. I was finally going to knock out my CCNP after waiting all these years, which is mainly due to us removing 90% of our Cisco infrastructure and going to Juniper. Two weeks ago I was asked to sit the CCIE R&S v5 Written beta exam and to my understanding, if I actually passed it, it will qualify as passing the written in the standard sense. Which means I would have 18mths to crack out the first attempt on the new lab setup, doable sure, but I've been on/off studying for my JNCIE and am scheduled to take it in February.

Would be odd to see "CCNA > CCDA > CCIE R&S" on my resume and field questions like "So you went from just a CCNA to a CCIE?"

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Cisco kind of tossed a monkey wrench into my certification plans with them. I was finally going to knock out my CCNP after waiting all these years, which is mainly due to us removing 90% of our Cisco infrastructure and going to Juniper. Two weeks ago I was asked to sit the CCIE R&S v5 Written beta exam and to my understanding, if I actually passed it, it will qualify as passing the written in the standard sense. Which means I would have 18mths to crack out the first attempt on the new lab setup, doable sure, but I've been on/off studying for my JNCIE and am scheduled to take it in February.

Would be odd to see "CCNA > CCDA > CCIE R&S" on my resume and field questions like "So you went from just a CCNA to a CCIE?"

Nothing odd. But you can skip CCNA entirely and put only CCIE on your resume. That will be more impressive.
Leave CCDA there and say that you are warming up for CCDE :)

CCIE/DE have no formal prerequisites.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

AtmaHorizon posted:

Nothing odd. But you can skip CCNA entirely and put only CCIE on your resume. That will be more impressive.
Leave CCDA there and say that you are warming up for CCDE :)

CCIE/DE have no formal prerequisites.

Ideally that is what I would do, I just find it funny since it is not the typical progression you see in terms of Cisco. I really only took the beta on pressure from a buddy at Cisco with "you'll do fine", I felt decent leaving it, but we'll see in 3weeks. If I didn't pass, no big deal, it's not like I am looking to change jobs anyway.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm taking the CCNA Security exam tomorrow - anyone that's taken it have any last-minute tips? I feel... pretty good about everything... but if there's any specific thing I need to make sure I know inside and out, that'd be a plus.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
The asdm gui is on the test. Which is annoying.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

inignot posted:

VCP peoples: after taking the Stanly course, what book did you use for the VCP510 exam prep? I need something physical, not online, so just reviewing the blueprint and such may not be my best option.

I'm leaning towards http://www.amazon.com/Official-Certification-Guide-VMware-Press/dp/0789749319/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383771075&sr=8-1&keywords=vcp510 - any thoughts if that + home lab practice is enough for the exam?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

inignot posted:

That is annoying, but comforting. I guess if I'm stumped I can just kind of poke around and look for what I need? That's way easier than the CLI.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

MJP posted:

VCP peoples: after taking the Stanly course, what book did you use for the VCP510 exam prep? I need something physical, not online, so just reviewing the blueprint and such may not be my best option.

I'm leaning towards http://www.amazon.com/Official-Certification-Guide-VMware-Press/dp/0789749319/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383771075&sr=8-1&keywords=vcp510 - any thoughts if that + home lab practice is enough for the exam?

http://www.amazon.com/VMware-Certif...=brian+atkinson

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Managed a 938/1000 on the CCNA Security exam! Woot.

I thought that generally it was simpler than the CCNA R&S exams, but had some pretty weirdly worded questions.

And the CCP sims are really a joke.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Got my official paper ~~VMware VCA~~ certificate in the mail today :smug: brb gonna go hang it over the toilet or something.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

My Team Lead unironically told me that my VCA's were certs worth having and that I should be proud of my accomplishment. When I asked him if he would go to my contract manager and ask him when I can expect a raise he was all "Whoa! Let's not be too hasty here..."

What's scary is that two of my fellow junior sysadmins have tried multiple times to pass the VCA-Cloud and Workforce Mobility exams and failed miserably. Scarier even more is that one of them is in the running for a Senior System Administrator position for a large city nearby. Granted he only took the position with us because he was flat broke and needed an income, but you would think that with his multiple years of experience in the field that taking a simplistic, open-book exam would be child's play. I take keen delight in being the first to pass all three exams (which wiped the smirk off his face and warmed my black, dead heart) and rub his nose in the fact that I did them all in one try.

For some reason he gets all pissy when I offer him my notes to use to study :smug:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Docjowles posted:

Got my official paper ~~VMware VCA~~ certificate in the mail today :smug: brb gonna go hang it over the toilet or something.

I got mine as well! It's actually fancier than my Cisco certs, hah

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So as the VCP course is going on, I just took an offer for a job that runs a XenDesktop environment.

What's the Xen cert course track like? I've run XenApp and ICA environments, mostly just logging off sessions and futzing with worker groups before, but I'm not as deep into it as I am VCP thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo
Came home today to find an envelope from Pearson on the table. Assumed it was one of those silly VCA certs, but it turned out to be the results of the Mobility+ beta exam I took way back in May. Turns out I comfortably passed! 782, needed a 720 out of 900 to pass.

Good way to begin the weekend if nothing else.