Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Outrail posted:

A, it's almost amazing how we manage to group-think-sperg our way through most challenges, but collectively group-think-sperg almost every social encounter into doing the stupidest thing possible. Oh wait no it's not surprising at all.

Eh, there's a lot of assuming Tudiya's going to rage out and immolate Snarls or something, but I think that's jumping the gun. We told the guy we hear a dog talking to us, he's currently giving us the equivalent of a sideways glance and a "reeeeeeally? Dog is talking to you? What does he say? Does he tell you to do bad things, touch people, burn stuff?" Same poo poo you'd ask any kid who told you his dog/toy/invisible friend was talking to him. There's an added element of the very real risk in this world that a demon might be doing it, but just because he's aware of that doesn't mean it's what he's immediately jumping to, he's just examining the situation.

Tudiya has typically been more relaxed and even tempered about delicate stuff than we've expected in the past, I don't think he's going to start snapping necks and casting-out-the-heathen-ing quite yet. He'll give our story a fair shot.

Or he'll do exactly the opposite, and the remnants of Asherah support lurking deep in Enkindel's brain can start gloating about how right they were, re: that dad-killing, primitive people assaulting imperialist jerk-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

While Tudiya immediately killing Snarls is extremely unlikely at best, I can still easily imagine us coming home one day, being unable to find Snarls, and having our questions answered with a "Do not concern yourself my son"

What I mean is that, although he may take the time to listen to our story, he'll still want to make sure for himself- because to him this may be a case of potential demons in his own house.

It still may turn into a case of "well as you can see, he didn't float with all these rocks tied to him died when I punched him as hard as I could, turns out /he wasn't possessed after all!"

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 4, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Tudiya is mostly making sure we didn't lose our marbles in the wilderness.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Voting for TheGlavwen's reply

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A - But elaborate, tell him that it's only base feelings and names for people/things and things like that. We aren't having long philosophical conversations with him...yet.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Walkin Goon
Apr 4, 2011

Theglavwen posted:

A: Tell him, and tell him in detail. After pledging to Zepa's monument, we've found that Snarls can convey his intentions and emotions to us, his delights or fears, his trust or mistrust of others. He doesn't speak to us so much as we can sense what he feels.

Voting this response. We brought it up, and might as well go with it. Trying to pass it off or lying to Tudiya might just make him more suspicious.

Might be good to emphasize that it was Snarls who pointed us in the direction of water and the forest, which held the monument. It seemed only fair to pledge his name on there as well, given how integral he was to our survival.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Voting A: He does, in fact, tell me things and request that I do things for him and that I harm others. Generally he tells me when he's hungry, thirsty, and tired, and occasionally he asks for belly rubs. From time to time he might ask me to kill a few fleas. He's not very articulate, to be honest, but that's probably because he's a dog.

In all seriousness, though, voting A with a side of F for proof if required. Just tell him the facts as we know it: Sometime during the trial we realized we were hearing complaints about hunger, exhaustion and pain that weren't ours, and determined them to be coming from Snarls. Experimentation demonstrated that we could understand him, and that he could understand us, but that his thought processes, though pretty bright for a dog, remained that of a dog as far as we could tell.

By the way, guys, I'd have to double-check the updates, but one thing to be clear on - I'm PRETTY sure we didn't start reading Snarl's thoughts (italicized text in certain updates) until midway through our escape from Eyescream. Before that we did "talk" to Snarls a bit, but that was through "one bark for yes" forms of communication which Diog truncated into a synopsis of results after a while, probably because having to individually go "Bark, bark bark, bark" for every drat question asked of Snarls was getting annoying. We've always been pretty good at understanding what Snarls was trying to say, since he's a smart cookie, but we only started READING his mind very very recently.

Edit: In other words, if Zepa's monument had anything to do with it, it had a pretty delayed effect. We're not talking about "Oh, I understand his intentions" or anything, that's small-time bonding poo poo, we're talking about "We can ACTUALLY HEAR HIS THOUGHTS." They are doggy thoughts and remain doggy thoughts, but we can hear them in ACTUAL WORD FORM. That's the bit we were asking about, not the part where we understood each other pretty well, that's pretty normal for a bright pet that bonded well with us.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 4, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

"Is this a joke my son, or do you truly think you hear your dog talking to you? When? How often? What did he say? Did he tell you to do anything or harm anyone?" Tudiya asks.

And so you tell him. Sometimes you think you can hear Snarls talk in your mind and sometimes he seems to hear you speaking with your mind as well. He does sometimes tell you to do things, but they usually involve rubbing his belly or playing. Looking down slightly, you reveal Snarls name for you, which is Master-Brother-Father-Bestests-Friend-Ever-Man-Beast-Friend-Who-Knows-Just-The-Right-Part-of-The-Belly-to-Scratch-to-Make-the-Leg-Kick.

Tudiya says in a calm tone "I see." He places two fingers in his mouth and whistles.

Coming. Still sleeping. Happy sleep.

After a few moments, Snarls trots into the garden. He sits beside you. Tudiya, seated on a bench a few feet across from you motions him over and says "Come", perhaps a bit sternly? The tone is commanding, but he is a king after all and at times he is commanding. Snarls is not used to taking instructions from anyone but you and sometimes Danal. He looks up to you for guidance.

You...
A. Tell Snarls to go to him with your mouth.
B. Tell Snarls to go to him by thinking it.
C. Motion Snarls to go to him with your hand.
D. Tell Snarls to stay next to you and say something to Tudiya. What?
E. I... am a little worried now. Me and Snarls run for it before Tudiya hurts my puppy!
F. Something else. Fill in.

We will have at least one more update today.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
F. Tell him to come stand beside you and do a doggie bow with your mind, but make no motions and don't say anything. Send soothing thoughts even if we're stressed.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
B ???

Sogol fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 4, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
B

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

b is kind of the whole point of this, is it not?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Run, boy, run!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B, but if Tudiya plans to kill him, tell him we will take up the deed personally.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

B, but I am worried about this whole thing. Please don't make me sad Dio.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Jester Mcgee posted:

B, but I am worried about this whole thing. Please don't make me sad Dio.

Seconded. :(

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
B

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
B and F. Mentally tell Snarls to go to him, but tell Tudiya what Ishamal said about the history of mystical animals, specifically in Tudiya's line of dogs. He needs to know the reasonable explanation before he might jump to the "demon" conclusion.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
Man, you fuckers just killed our dog. Perhaps B has a small chance of saving him, but I wouldn't count on it.

You jerks :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

B - We're in deep now.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Aww man. I really wish I hadn't skipped out on voting not to tell. What's the worst that could happen, ask goons as Snarls has his neck snapped. We might as well comply because any other option might result in something even worse happening. B.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Voting B

Guys, two notes. First point is that the narration is fairly clear about us being unclear about whether Tudiya is being excessively stern or not.

Second, here's a much better theory for what Tudiya wants to do instead of snapping Snarl's neck: He wants to read SNARL'S mind to see what's going on. He can do that, remember?

Edit: I just realized that miiiiight be a problem regardless if he sees Azzazel in there. Whoopsie.

Edit Edit: On the plus side, though, he'd be seeing Azzazel entirely through Snarl's perspective, which hopefully might "soften" what he sees of Azzazel, and perhaps more to the point we only accepted Azzazel's offer when Snarls was in a fever - everything before that is basically us saying "No thanks." On the other hand, that might count as letting Azzazel slip...but it wasn't from us directly.

So, er, I really got no idea if this is going to work out or not at this point. It'll be interesting, at least.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Voting B. Tudiya may not be able to read Snarls mind though, he did drink some of those fruity drinks Azzazz gave us too; however, his may not have the same properties as Ishamel's drinks.

Maybe we can tell Tudiya we can prove our mind link by getting him to do an elaborate trick that he tells us, but not Snarls... I just want Tudiya to know he is a good boy and not a threat :(

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You think at Snarls that he should approach Tudiya, which he does.

Smells like Pack.

You asked Snarls to tell you how people smell. Apparently Tudiya, whose home you live in and whom Snarls has known all his life "smells like pack".

His name is "Biggest-in-the-Pack-who-fights-for-the-Pack-and-makes-sure-the-Pack-does-not-fight-itself". He is the Alpha Male, even if you are the Master-Brother-Father-Bestests-Friend-Ever-Man-Beast-Friend-Who-Knows-Just-The-Right-Part-of-The-Belly-to-Scratch-to-Make-the-Leg-Kick , which is a VASTLY more important role in the Pack, if less powerful role than Alpha Male. You have the most important role in fact, according to Snarls. The Master-Tummy-Scratcher is the center of the cosmos and it is sad and lonely and dark when he goes away and fantastically indescribably amazing when he comes back. Also when he wakes up in the morning is pretty swell and the correct way to express this daily exuberant celebration when he wakes up is to groom his face with the tongue. With lots of slobber to show we really mean it!

Snarls walks over to Tudiya, who places his immense hands atop Snarls head and closes his eyes for a moment. Snarl closes his eyes as well. After a moment, both of them open their eyes and Snarls walks off. You have the vaguest hint of a suggestion that you should go back to the older-but-still-fertile-female-who-gives-the-tasty-meat-bits's den and tell the Master-Brother-Father-Bestests-Friend-Ever-Man-Beast-Friend-Who-Knows-Just-The-Right-Part-of-The-Belly-to-Scratch-to-Make-the-Leg-Kick if the older-but-still-fertile-female-who-gives-the-tasty-meat-bits wakes up. She is sick but healing and we have to watch her and keep her safe just like the Master-Belly-Scratcher wanted, a solemn and sacred obligation of the highest order! And we will keep her safe by crawling under the blankets and keeping her warm! She smells "like pack".

"That is not a dog" Tudiya says, his sudden speech startling you slightly from whatever it was you were just concentrating on "well it is, but it is more. In the time of the sons of Labaras, some made or changed beasts as it suited them. To be larger, stronger, swifter. Some were made to live longer. Some were made more intelligent. Some could speak. Men can no longer do such things to animals and the blood of the offspring of such beasts has run thin. You saw the names of some of the line of such beasts on Zepa's monument and perhaps know their heroic tales. There are few left today, for their blood has run thin. The last one I know of to be blooded in Zepath was a dog of great size my great grandfather owned, the size of a bear, it died when I was a young child. Barkof, friendly, loyal and as dumb as a brick. It seems some of the blood of times long past has found it's way into your dog. If he shows any odd signs, let me know at once."

You can ask Tudiya questions if you like. Statements back to him will need a mini vote. Tonight we will update with a visit to Naomi, which won the last vote.

1. Why are you going to go see Naomi?
A. Just to say hi.
B. To show off a bit about my glorious conquest and rise in stature, in a way meant to impress.
C. To show off a bit about my glorious conquest and rise in stature, but not to impress.
D. To find out if she still cares for me, but I do not outright ask.
E. To find out if she still cares for me, I do outright ask.
F. To apologize for rejecting her.
G. Something else. Fill in.

There is no such thing as courting. Marriages are arranged. Most marriages occur between 16 and 19 or so. You are 16, Naomi is 19.

2. Before you go to see her, right now, if she revealed she still loved you, how would you feel?
H. Happy!
I. Happy and I want to get married
J. Happy, but I do not want to get married for a while yet.
K. I do not know how I would feel.
L. I don't care.
M. Something else. Fill in.

3. And if you found out she no longer loves you?
N. Happy.
O. Sad.
P. Angry.
Q. Depressed.
R. I don't know how I would feel.
S. Something else. Fill in.

4. You have seen Naomi of course, you live in the same house, but spoken little with her since you rejected her. Do you bring a gift?
T. No.
S. Yes. What? Fill in. You own little but you have at least one rather one wealthy friend in Ishamal who would likely give you what you wish within reason if you asked. As Tudiya's son you also now have access to his households wealth, within reason.

5. How are you going to go see her?
U. I just go talk to her wherever she is.
V. I have Danal take her to our favorite spot by the river without saying why and surprise her.
W. Something else. Fill in.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 4, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
1. A and D: We just want to re-open lines of communication with her, and see how she feels about us. And see how we feel about her.
2. J: Happy. But we don't really know about how we feel about this relationship yet, it's been a long time.
3. O: It'd be disappointing that our old flame no longer loves us, but it wouldn't be devastating I think.
4. T: We're just feeling her out this first visit. No gift.
5. U: Just a casual chat, we're not out to woo her.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

JT Jag posted:

1. A and D: We just want to re-open lines of communication with her, and see how she feels about us. And see how we feel about her.
2. J: Happy. But we don't really know about how we feel about this relationship yet, it's been a long time.
3. O: It'd be disappointing that our old flame no longer loves us, but it wouldn't be devastating I think.
4. T: We're just feeling her out this first visit. No gift.
5. U: Just a casual chat, we're not out to woo her.

I'll second this for the time being, although I'm not sure on 2 and 3; might be tempted to go for the 'not sure' answers upon reflection.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
Holy poo poo! We didn't kill our dog!

1. A and D
2. H
3. Q
4. T
5. U

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Voting:
1. B
2. H - Always nice to hear someone likes you.
3. S - That's ok, I got over losing her years ago. And I am now Zepath's most eligible bachelor.
4. T
5. U

I am kind of weirded out by the idea of marrying our sister, even if she is not a blood relative.

I always knew Snarls had hero's blood. Also, we could still hear Snarls thoughts even when he was in another room. What is the range on this thing?

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1E. To find out if she still cares for me, I do outright ask.
2J. Happy, but I do not want to get married for a while yet.
3O. Sad.
4S. We go out and pick a nice bouquet of flowers. Ishamal knows best.
5U. I just go talk to her wherever she is.

Let's be honest and straightforward.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1. Why are you going to go see Naomi?
E. To find out if she still cares for me, I do outright ask.
F. To apologize for rejecting her.

2. Before you go to see her, right now, if she revealed she still loved you, how would you feel?
H. Happy!

3. And if you found out she no longer loves you?
R. I don't know how I would feel.

4. You have seen Naomi of course, you live in the same house, but spoken little with her since you rejected her. Do you bring a gift?
S. Yes. Flowers

5. How are you going to go see her?
U. I just go talk to her wherever she is.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -