Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

I hope this is real. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.
^^^^^^^^
While I'm sick of everything Angry Birds, that's pretty hilarious.

Does this look infected?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20131031air-force-pilot-error-blame-f-crash-luke-afb-glendale.html

Just heard the resolution of this one. This plane crashed not far from my house a few months ago, and the report detailing what went wrong just became available. An F16 on a training flight crashed after hitting birds. The instructor was flying it, after doing a touch and go landing maneuver. 3 birds got sucked into the engine, and the AF blames the instructor for the crash. Instead of turning immediately, they should have kept the throttle on and gotten more altitude.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Thief posted:

I think so.
http://www.gloswielkopolski.pl/arty...aleria-material

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A Typhoon with a "minimal time on station" loadout.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

"minimal time on station"

I still see two external tanks. I want to see something like that F-15 model mockup Boeing made that was posted earlier.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SgtMongoose posted:

I still see two external tanks. I want to see something like that F-15 model mockup Boeing made that was posted earlier.

One tank gets burned to lift the other tank into the air :v:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

SgtMongoose posted:

I want to see something like that F-15 model mockup Boeing made that was posted earlier.
Mo' missiles mo' problems.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ah, the Independence Day load out.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I love that this picture perfectly captures the canted out pylons, just putting the icing on the cake for impracticality.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Soviets could do it. :colbert:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

iyaayas01 posted:

I love that this picture perfectly captures the canted out pylons, just putting the icing on the cake for impracticality.

Was there really no other way to fix weapon separation? It kind of surprises me that nobody's come up with a fix for that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

iyaayas01 posted:

What's impractical about it? Why are they canted anyway?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thief posted:

Well I hope it's a kamikaze plane then.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

FrozenVent posted:

What's impractical about it? Why are they canted anyway?

It results in a shitload of extra drag, making the thing slower, more fuel hungry and having less range because of that and they're canted to fit the weapons on the wing.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Mr Crustacean posted:

It results in a shitload of extra drag, making the thing slower, more fuel hungry and having less range because of that and they're canted to fit the weapons on the wing.

Noted F-16 pilot Hawk Hunter disagrees.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mortabis posted:

Was there really no other way to fix weapon separation? It kind of surprises me that nobody's come up with a fix for that.
I imagine a lot of the other ways involved redesigns that were way more expensive. Little changes in one part of an aircraft can have huge knock-on aerodynamic effects on the rest of it.

Don't try to cram on more pylons than were designed for on your wings, kids.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 3, 2013

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also recoding just how weapons drop/fire and then getting those changes approved/tested is probably $hilarious.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hunterhr posted:

Noted F-16 pilot Hawk Hunter disagrees.

What does an F-16 pilot know about loiter time?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Godholio posted:

What does an F-16 pilot know about loiter time?

Well O'Grady did hang out in Bosnia for a while so he'd probably know.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Godholio posted:

The Soviets could do it. :colbert:

And we couldn't allow a pylon gap, could we?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sperglord Actual posted:

And we couldn't allow a pylon gap, could we?

Not really worried.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I couldn't really think of a more appropriate place for this, but I figured it would be of interest to a lot of TFR people and this is an airpower thread, even if it's cold-war heavy.

This coming Saturday the surviving members of the Doolittle Raid will meet at the USAF museum at Wright-Patterson AFB to open the 1896 bottle of Hennessy that they brought to all their annual reunions with the intent that the last two survivors would toast the others. They're down to 4 (only 3 of whom will probably attend) but they're old enough that they don't want to wait any longer.

There's a short piece on CNN about this but it's pretty shameful and not worth linking. If you don't know who these guys are you should feel bad, use google, and read a book, in that order.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I couldn't really think of a more appropriate place for this, but I figured it would be of interest to a lot of TFR people and this is an airpower thread, even if it's cold-war heavy.

This coming Saturday the surviving members of the Doolittle Raid will meet at the USAF museum at Wright-Patterson AFB to open the 1896 bottle of Hennessy that they brought to all their annual reunions with the intent that the last two survivors would toast the others. They're down to 4 (only 3 of whom will probably attend) but they're old enough that they don't want to wait any longer.

There's a short piece on CNN about this but it's pretty shameful and not worth linking. If you don't know who these guys are you should feel bad, use google, and read a book, in that order.

:black101::hf::patriot:

Click for big.

It's pretty amazing that they only lost 8 airmen out of the 80 that took part in the raid when you think about it.

Edit:Any books you'd recommend about it?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Beardless posted:

Edit:Any books you'd recommend about it?

Nothing specific. There are tons of books out there that do a respectable job of telling the story and what the impact was on US recruitment/bond drives/general morale. Basically just cruise Amazon and snag something that looks good.

Alternatively if you're cheap just read the WIkipedia article. Wikipedia is awful for a lot of stuff, but for first-pass basic facts kinds of things it's useful.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

"Thirty seconds over Tokyo" was a favorite of mine when I was a kid, you can safely start there.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

If you have a Pearl Harbor DVD lying around this is a great occasion to ritually smash it.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

mllaneza posted:

"Thirty seconds over Tokyo" was a favorite of mine when I was a kid, you can safely start there.

You can can the jist of it in the "grab every other movie footage we can"-epic Midway, the opening is the climax of Thirty Seconds.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Between reunions, the Hennessy was kept in Arnold Hall at the Air Force Academy in a display that included a silver cognac goblet for each surviving Raider. As they passed, the cups were turned upside-down during the annual Raider reunion. Cool poo poo like this is why military tradition has some intrinsic value.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dead Reckoning posted:

Between reunions, the Hennessy was kept in Arnold Hall at the Air Force Academy in a display that included a silver cognac goblet for each surviving Raider. As they passed, the cups were turned upside-down during the annual Raider reunion. Cool poo poo like this is why military tradition has some intrinsic value.

But what if a woman is offended by it? :ohdear:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

But what if a woman is offended by it? :ohdear:

Stop posting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

Stop posting.

It has become a legitimate concern.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD3nuXt4ldo

China made their own progaganda-laden version of Top Gun.

It is actually WORSE if you understand Chinese.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Does it have a volleyball scene?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Insane Totoro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD3nuXt4ldo

It is actually WORSE if you understand Chinese.

Don't forget when they used a clip from Top Gun and tried to pass it off as a weapons test of their new stealth fighter.
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2011/01/28/video-cctv-tries-to-pass-off-%E2%80%98top-gun%E2%80%99-clip-as-military-drill/

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Does it have a volleyball scene?

I don't know yet, but

:3:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Glorious :allears:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Is that digital camo? Man they'll copy anything, even the bad stuff.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

No they didn't, this movie isn't half as amazing, well shot, or as gay Top Gun. They loving copied "The Starfighters" also known as the only movie to accurately suck the fun out of flying planes in the Air Force.

For those who don't want to watch the whole movie, watch the first refueling scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4pSjzI8BSw

Now watch it 5 more times and you get the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Is that digital camo? Man they'll copy anything, even the bad stuff.

They use US Navy-esque aquaflage uniforms for their loving marines