Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Crowbear posted:

e: Assuming you're in the US, anyway. If you're in Europe then they haven't announced if they're bringing it over there or not.

The Wii Mini has been out in most of Europe for some time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Ineptitude posted:

My wife said she is interested in a Wii, mainly to play motion-controller games (not really sure what to call them, but games where you need to be up and active to play) and while looking for a used Wii and not really finding any good deals, but finding a good deal for a Wii U i was thinking if i should just get a Wii U instead. However, i dont really know a lot about the Wii U (or standard Wii for that matter), and am honestly not sure which of the 2 consoles to get.

The impression i have of the Wii is that it was a console for motion-controller games, and while it had some standard "sit in your couch" type of games the games where you had to be active is what it did best.
Is the Wii U like this as well? Or is the gimmick here that you can "bring the game with you" to the gamepad controller? It doesnt even seem like the Wii U comes with a controller like the Wii had (nunchuck) but just a iPad size gamepad. Does the Wii U do the motion controlled games to the same extent that the Wii did ? (i dont mean running Wii games with the built in Wii-compatibility, but actual Wii U games)

We would primarily buy Wii or Wii U to play motion-controlled games together, and for her to play games in the Wii Fit genre. I would also like to play the zelda games if we end up getting one of these consoles. I am a fan of Zelda but not big enough fan to buy a Wii or U just for those games alone. Anyone got any reccommendations as to what to get?

The Wii U will play Wii games, but you'd need to buy a Wii controller separately. I don't know if you realize this, but motion control is a lovely gimmick that sucks with very few exceptions. I'm not saying don't get a Wii or Wii U, I'm just saying don't do it if motion control is what you're excited about. Get a Wii U because first-party Nintendo games are awesome, with the exception of the last few Zelda games which were mediocre as gently caress with terrible motion control gimmicks. Super Mario Galaxy (1 and 2) are the best games of the last 10 years so a Wii is worth owning for those alone.

It kind of sounds like your wife thinks that the Wii will be a good way to get active, but it isn't. Wii Fit is ultimately not that compelling, and the other motion control games require little movement beyond standing up and looking like a dipshit while you waggle the wiimote instead of pressing a button.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Baron FU posted:

Really? I thought it only came out in Canada for some reason.

e: Huh, so it has :downs:

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

All the Super Monkey Ball games were horrible when they switched to motion controls for the movement. Yeah, it made sense, but some levels later on require such insane accuracy. I wish you could at least turn on the control stick as a primary control option. Banana Blitz was the biggest disappointment when I got my Wii.

I actually thought the use of the Wii remote gyro as the control for Banana blitz was pretty great. I felt like I could make split decision movements a lot faster and it just clicked with me. It took a while to get used to, but I thought imagining the wii remote as the plane of the world was a cool idea for controlling it. The latter extra levels in that game and some of the last bosses were SUPER bullshit though, but it made it all the more satisfying when you beat them.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
New Club Nintendo rewards are up

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Ineptitude posted:

The impression i have of the Wii is that it was a console for motion-controller games, and while it had some standard "sit in your couch" type of games the games where you had to be active is what it did best.
Yes and no, really? It really depends entirely on the developers. Wii Sports and the few first person shooters on the system make excellent use of the motion controls, while many games are just as easily played (or at least could be if there were the option) with classic controller. Even for things like Wii sports, being up and active is not a requirement. However, there are innumerable Wii games that use shaking the Wii remote in lieu of meaningful gameplay.

quote:

Is the Wii U like this as well? Or is the gimmick here that you can "bring the game with you" to the gamepad controller? It doesnt even seem like the Wii U comes with a controller like the Wii had (nunchuck) but just a iPad size gamepad. Does the Wii U do the motion controlled games to the same extent that the Wii did ? (i dont mean running Wii games with the built in Wii-compatibility, but actual Wii U games)
It varies from game to game, but motion control is certainly less of a focus in Wii U titles. The Gamepad is used for things besides taking the game around the house with you as well. Second screens and asymetrical gameplay can be used to great effect, though as with anything, success rates vary from genre to genre and developer to developer.

quote:

We would primarily buy Wii or Wii U to play motion-controlled games together, and for her to play games in the Wii Fit genre. I would also like to play the zelda games if we end up getting one of these consoles. I am a fan of Zelda but not big enough fan to buy a Wii or U just for those games alone. Anyone got any reccommendations as to what to get?
If you have found a good deal on the Wii U, by all means go for it. It is compatible with all Wii games and Wii controllers, and will continue to be supported for at least another year or two even if the sales don't dramatically improve. They just released a HD port of "The Wind Waker" and a new Wii U exclusive Zelda is currently in development for a (supposed) 2015 release.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Astro7x posted:

Awesome, I never owned the SNES Zelda on Wii's VC. Hopefully this means the Wii U version is around the corner.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Baron FU posted:

As a matter of fact, it's the only Wii that can be bought in Europe full stop (new, once stocks run out), the original model has been discontinued. Guess they're really pushing the Wii U over here now.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Ineptitude posted:

My wife said she is interested in a Wii, mainly to play motion-controller games (not really sure what to call them, but games where you need to be up and active to play) and while looking for a used Wii and not really finding any good deals, but finding a good deal for a Wii U i was thinking if i should just get a Wii U instead. However, i dont really know a lot about the Wii U (or standard Wii for that matter), and am honestly not sure which of the 2 consoles to get.

If you can find a good deal on a Wii U just go with that. The new Wii Fit U demo just dropped and if you have a balance board (10-15 bucks used at Gamestop) and get the new pedometer thing they're selling (20 bucks) and register it you get the game for free. Plus they're dropping new versions of the Wii Sports stuff with online leaderboards or something and stuff.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Commissar Ken posted:

Are you talking about these? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wii-u-stereo-headset/6891368.p?id=1218810565089&skuId=6891368&st=WiiU&cp=1&lp=2 and if so where's the mic on that thing? Is it on the cord somewhere like phone headphones?

That would be the one and yes. It includes a mute on/off. I haven't tried it yet for voice chat in a game because I hate voice chat in online games. Maybe I'll Wii Voice Chat a goon later or something.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
There hasn't been a good Super Monkey Ball since Super Monkey Ball 2. Well, see ya

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

absolutely anything posted:

There hasn't been a good Super Monkey Ball since Super Monkey Ball 2. Well, see ya

This is a pure fact.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Astro7x posted:

Zelda is not currently available. :(

I assume it will come back before Dec 8?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

The Wii isn't that great for active games. At first Wii Sports tennis seems great for moving around and being "active" to play. After about a day you'll realize that you're twice as effective if you sit down and flick your wrist vs standing and swinging.

I'd probably look into a 360 with a Kinest. Kinect Adventures is really fun and you'll work up a sweat playing, but there aren't many other Kinect games besides a few exercise/yoga games.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

mcpringles posted:

I'd probably look into a 360 with a Kinest. Kinect Adventures is really fun and you'll work up a sweat playing, but there aren't many other Kinect games besides a few exercise/yoga games.

Dance Central is a legitimately awesome series and is also very good for getting you on your feet and moving.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Canned Panda posted:

Are we going to have a SA Gym for Wii Fit U?

I guess so, because I just made one!

LowTaxLowEffort

Full of judgement and cheeto dust.

Gym Community ID: 1786-3632-8641

I know this is late but this fat fatty has joined your crappy club for jerks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ineptitude posted:

If you're looking for "active" games the best bet is the Kinect. There is no comparison. The difference between having to use a controller and not having to use a controller is massive, and most of the significant contributions the Wii has given are not exclusive to the Wii.

Take the game Your Shape Fitness Evolved. On the Wii, you have to use a controller for this. On the Kinect, you do not. This doesn't seem like a huge thing until you start thinking about weight training. Having a controller take up your hands means you can't use dumbells effectively. I can also tell you from experience that some of those exercise games are serious workouts. They're TV workouts, sure, but they judge you. And that's another place where the Kinect wins. With Wii games, the only sensed thing is the Wiimote. With the Kinect, your entire body is scanned, which means the game can tell if your legs are out of position.

Wii games, on the other hand, are less full-body motion games and more "waggle the controller". MadWorld for example has tons of Wii use. You flick the wiimote all over the goddamn place but you never have to get off the couch. Where Wii shines is the movement of an individual object, or aiming at the screen. Using the Kinect to navigate menus is a huge pain in the rear end.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

Bring back monkey bowling.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Its been a year since the wii u release and they still. wont. give it club nintendo rewards

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA puttin' those marketing dollars to good use:

http://www.pbteen.com/pages/wiiu/

Balance Board, mate.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Balance Board, mate.

What are you tap dancing on it or something

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Netflix on my Wii U has been acting up: when I start a movie, the audio comes out of the TV fine but there's no picture (just a black screen). Switching to the gamepad the image comes in fine though. Also all the Netflix menus and such come in fine on the TV.

I could only find a few scattered posts on GameFAQs about people with similar problems. One recommended simply turning the TV off and then back on-- and, while I couldn't believe it would work, it did... but only the first day this happened. Now I can't seem to fix it at all. Any ideas?

EDIT: Also ALTTP Club Nintendo reward seems to be working again.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Speaking of netflix: what's the deal with not having auto-play in the wii u version? Sometimes I want to watch five episodes of Bones without having to get up and tap the screen in the charging dock because then I have to think about what I'm doing with my life.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NOA puttin' those marketing dollars to good use:

http://www.pbteen.com/pages/wiiu/

You know the funny thing is that if they had done this exact promotion but offered A Link Between Worlds instead of 3D World it would have made almost too much sense.

Think about it. A Zelda promotional event, at a Pottery Barn.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 5, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You know the funny is that if they had done this exact promotion but offered A Link Between Worlds instead of 3D World it would have made almost too much sense.

Think about it. A Zelda promotional event, at a Pottery Barn.

I'd be like Ya! Ya! Yeeerh! Ya! Hep! Ya! Hiyaaa!

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

mcpringles posted:

The Wii isn't that great for active games. At first Wii Sports tennis seems great for moving around and being "active" to play. After about a day you'll realize that you're twice as effective if you sit down and flick your wrist vs standing and swinging.

I would bowl standing up. ANY time anyone came over, I could get the guys to bowl standing up but the girls would stay seated. Then later on, everyone would stay seated. Playing wii bowling while sitting down is sad.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I would bowl standing up. ANY time anyone came over, I could get the guys to bowl standing up but the girls would stay seated. Then later on, everyone would stay seated. Playing wii bowling while sitting down is sad.

I showed some folks at a Skyward Sword demo kiosk how to play without flailing around all crazy, holding the remote in a neutral position and then barely flicking in a direction to show how easy it was to control the game, and it was like I was destroying all the magic of the game for those poor kids. :smith:

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

signalnoise posted:

What are you tap dancing on it or something

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Are you just refusing to acknowledge that it exists?
You specifically said that with wii games, the only thing sensed is the wiimote. Balance board kind of does sense more than just wiimote movements. I haven't tap danced on it, but some of the fun wii fit activities are dance styles like salsa, jazz, locking.

It's a balance board.

It weighs you, determines how much weight is balanced on each foot and front to back, etc.

Anyways, balance boards are cheap used, and anyone with a Wii U can use Wii Fit U for a month free trial if they have a balance board. It is a better workout than just playing Madworld again, I will attest to that.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I joined the WiiFit U SA Gym.
Everyone should! Then we can all encourage each other to keep at it (Instead of just dropping it after a month or so like I unfortunately did with the first WiiFit)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

edit: actually never mind

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Its been a year since the wii u release and they still. wont. give it club nintendo rewards

Yeah it's getting a little ridiculous

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

To be fair theres only a few games on the Wii U eshop. You could have the entire library in a couple months then what will you spend money on?!

SereneCrimson posted:

I joined the WiiFit U SA Gym.
Everyone should! Then we can all encourage each other to keep at it (Instead of just dropping it after a month or so like I unfortunately did with the first WiiFit)

Whats the code? I too would like to make fun of other fat people and then shove burgers into my gaping maw.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 5, 2013

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

Whats the code? I too would like to make fun of other fat people and then shove burgers into my gaping maw.

Here you go.

Canned Panda posted:

Are we going to have a SA Gym for Wii Fit U?

I guess so, because I just made one!

LowTaxLowEffort

Full of judgement and cheeto dust.

Gym Community ID: 1786-3632-8641

I'm still waiting on the download to finish, and then I'm joining too. Maybe I can talk the wife (another goon) into joining in.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
A community of winners, I tell ya!

Bruceski posted:

Is the one-month Wii Fit U trial starting from when you download it or first run it? I just heard about the 330-lb limit on the board which means my rear end is currently 20 pounds too fat to try the thing out.

First-run

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is the one-month Wii Fit U trial starting from when you download it or first run it? I just heard about the 330-lb limit on the board which means my rear end is currently 20 pounds too fat to try the thing out.

^^^^ Okay, so if I cut out soda and convenience foods ("too lazy to cook" pizza orders and such) and go spend Thanksgiving at my parents' ranch house doing chores and hiking and such like planned (I actually eat less at the holidays because food's cooked for multiple people, proper single-servings feel like a waste of cookware but the rest never ends up as leftovers like planned) and manage to keep up my walking routine without stopping by the 7-11 I pass for junk (tip: when exercising leave the wallet at home, just don't forget your keys) I can still try the thing out later. Awesome.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 5, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Since Wii Fit is the topic of the day, here's a question; how helpful is Wii Fit for someone who is underweight and wants to build muscle?

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I joined the Wii Fit U Gym as well. How much interaction is there between community members? It looked like all I could do is see your Miis and see messages about your goals being achieved.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Just wanted to drop in and say thanks to the thread for helping me decide whether or not 'Santa' is bringing a WiiU this year. Picked up the Mario&Luigi bundle along with Sonic Lost Worlds and have them hiding in my closet (some serious schadenfreude from my childhood there). Some elves are going to get Mario World 3D as well.

I didn't realize NSMB U was essentially Super Mario World Part 2 Back in Blood. Santa is going to have to sneak in some time on that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

orphean posted:

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks to the thread for helping me decide whether or not 'Santa' is bringing a WiiU this year. Picked up the Mario&Luigi bundle along with Sonic Lost Worlds and have them hiding in my closet (some serious schadenfreude from my childhood there). Some elves are going to get Mario World 3D as well.

I didn't realize NSMB U was essentially Super Mario World Part 2 Back in Blood. Santa is going to have to sneak in some time on that.

New use for the off-TV play. Leave the WiiU set-up in the box with a power cable somewhere discreet, do everything on the handheld's screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Since Wii Fit is the topic of the day, here's a question; how helpful is Wii Fit for someone who is underweight and wants to build muscle?

Better then nothing but of course, it won't replace lifting.

• Locked thread