Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not an Anthem posted:

I never really played the COD/BF games until recently so I'm crap at the mechanics but I love BF4! I've been engineer and scout because I'm not as great with figuring out targeted shots as well as all the well-hid enemy snipers.

Engineer: get in a heli and repair all loving day and then shoot anyone you see with rockets. Alternately sneak up on tanks and do this. I've killed a lot of tanks who should really have seen me this way.

Recon: press Q and drop C4 on vehicles, use your pistol a lot. One round all I did was press Q and I got so many loving points.

That's one of things I really like that got changed. You can score hella points by just assisting and being a good teammate. I remember seeing the 'Squad Mate Kill counts as Kill' assist with 110 points, that was great.
It's just like "Hey you tried your hardest to kill that guy but your bro got him first, but gently caress it dude you get the points too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Synastren posted:

I've been playing it right the whole time. :smugdog:
Only if the tail end of your taxi trip involves crashing it into an enemy.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, in BF3, I tried to be a "good teammate" in public servers by not "kill-stealing" to our overall detriment in order not to get people upset.

But now I can feel free to help ensure the kill because if the guy actually was going to kill his target, he'll get the kill anyway. If he wasn't, then I kill the enemy before he has time to orient on me.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Maybe I'm being a butt, but I think it's kinda silly to make a video complaining about how terrible attack choppers are while in that video the same attack chopper never gets shot down while going on a pretty good rampage against the enemy team.

They talk a lot about global balance, but apparently are part of the competitive team? Yeah OK, balance around the competitive teams and not normal regular-rear end players. GLOBAL BALANCE.

FWIW - I think in general HE stuff does too little damage as is, and bringing that up would make the attack chopper way more deadly anyway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

s1ppycup posted:

Mortars and XM-25's are both viable options for clearing roofs.

Have you unlocked/used the mortar yourself? It seems(?) like it could be good for rooftops considering you can just set it down somewhere and use it when you need to, at least to keep a snipers head down, then wait for the ammo to recharge.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I love it when you find a sweet spot to go prone, pop out your bipod'd M249 and mow down 15 people in a row.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Kibayasu posted:

Have you unlocked/used the mortar yourself? It seems(?) like it could be good for rooftops considering you can just set it down somewhere and use it when you need to, at least to keep a snipers head down, then wait for the ammo to recharge.

I did two rounds of Op Locker just now where mortars were being very heavily used around the entrances to the buildings as well as that little hill where snipers love to hang out. It made the map a lot more fluid.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Very odd, have not had a problem since launch on Friday, now I am having constant crashes rather than 1/10. Every game is going down. DICE. Fix some, ruin others.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

Acquire Currency! posted:

That's one of things I really like that got changed. You can score hella points by just assisting and being a good teammate. I remember seeing the 'Squad Mate Kill counts as Kill' assist with 110 points, that was great.
It's just like "Hey you tried your hardest to kill that guy but your bro got him first, but gently caress it dude you get the points too."

That's a great feature.

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down
Conquest on Operation Locker is a great place to use the xm25. I've been racking up kills with it when the enemy caps C and all stand in the guard tower thinking they are safe.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Synastren posted:

Ok, so I'm looking for a little help, goons.

I wanted to add these:

If you're ever holding a room/position/whatever with several dudes- pay attention to where they are looking. Chances are, 90% of the time, everyone is focused on the same doorway or chokepoint shooting at people and throwing grenades. Turn your rear end around and watch the flanks and rear instead. This will save your, and your squads rear end, more than you believe.

Never crowd. If you see yourself standing near 2-3 other guys in the same place you should feel nervous and want to move away and overwatch them or their flanks.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Warbadger posted:

Yes, repairing will basically make the scout chopper drat near invulnerable at the moment. I've been making good use of it to level my engineer whenever possible (it gives absurdly high XP for the continuous repairs), and so far the only ways I've died are scout choppers killing the passengers, a decent jet pilot nailing one in a spot it can't avoid his fire, or the aforementioned lucky hit with an AT missile on a slightly damage chopper (which admittedly has not happened to me, but I've hit a few choppers with the RPG from the door seats with satisfying results). A comedy counter to the choppers is to have both engineers on your own chopper take iglas/stingers and fire both the chopper's air-to-air missiles and your engineer stingers at the same time for an instant-kill. Obviously this means you need to be playing with goons and on mumble, but people will rage to no end that you completely shut down their guaranteed kill-streak-mobile every time it takes off.

You can also out-repair a pretty good volume of anti-tank missiles on ground vehicles, but it's much more situational simply because you're likely to get shot/sniped/mortared/helicoptered in the process.

No one seems to notice that all scout helos expose the pilot and engies to LMG fire. Grab the M249 or LSAT and hose them bitches down. If they're far, bipod out-if they're near, just loving spray. Few pilots expect to run into a wall of hurty lead head on, and there's a really good chance that you will get a multikill and a free heli, to boot.

Seriously, spray them down any time they're close and you will never have a problem unless the pilot is really drat good about staying really high and far from infantry-at which point the lb isn't anywhere near as much of a threat, anyways.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Dear DICE,

All I really want from Commander mode at this point is the ability to see the rank of a squad's field upgrades and the ability to group select squads.
Herding cats is difficult enough, with this commander being even more far-removed from the action than any other in the game's series. I don't mind being held hostage by the team's performance and like that it encourages people to capture points so that our entire team gets more toys than the other team.
But please, don't let your UI hold me hostage, too. Don't break my heart.
---

So. Commanding is fun, but it could be funnerer. It's always delightful to see an HVT you get marked get all the attention they deserve, seeing all your team's doritos snap to it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
15 kill rampage on locker, meet my grenade launcher guys!

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Naturally Selected posted:

No one seems to notice that all scout helos expose the pilot and engies to LMG fire. Grab the M249 or LSAT and hose them bitches down. If they're far, bipod out-if they're near, just loving spray. Few pilots expect to run into a wall of hurty lead head on, and there's a really good chance that you will get a multikill and a free heli, to boot.

Seriously, spray them down any time they're close and you will never have a problem unless the pilot is really drat good about staying really high and far from infantry-at which point the lb isn't anywhere near as much of a threat, anyways.

I found this out the fun way when a pilot in an attack chopper got a little to close to me when I was in the .50 on a tank. I must have put about 4-7 rounds right in his face because I saw a kill pop up on my screen and the chopper just dropped to the ground almost unharmed.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Erata posted:

So. Commanding is fun, but it could be funnerer. It's always delightful to see an HVT you get marked get all the attention they deserve, seeing all your team's doritos snap to it.

It's fun as a soldier when the commander selects an HVT too. Suddenly that sneaky player on the other team is pinpointed for everyone =)

Also, yesterday I was playing on a server with a pretty good commander. The server shuffles things up after every few rounds and it was noticeably more difficult when he was the opposing team's commander (he went like 5-0 as commander, me and my buddy were top 3 on the server every time but couldn't win the match when up against the commander).

It's just nice when you're a tanker and your commander goes "hey, you've got a couple guys hiding in the rubble on your right" over voice. *swings main cannon over to the right just in time to blast the rocket guys*

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 5, 2013

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahaha holy poo poo there's nothing like locking down a 32 man team to Objective A.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Synastren posted:

Ok, so I'm looking for a little help, goons.

I've played a few iterations of CoD, and I played several PC shooters previously (Quake 3, the UT series, TFC & 2)... but I just don't get how to play Battlefield. I've never played a Battlefield game before, and I picked up BF4.

Basically, what I'm asking is, how the gently caress do I play this game well? It is so very different from what I'm used to that I just don't understand it. I'm used to my games to be somewhere between 5 on 5 to 9 on 9... this 32 v 32 stuff is considerably out of by depth. Add in vehicles and large sprawling maps, and I'm utterly confused.

Generally the gunplay stuff I can understand, assuming I'm not getting destroyed by dudes who know the maps or style better than me (which happens in any fps), but I just don't get the overall strategy, I guess.

Is there any sort of primer on how to play BF games? The thread is huge so, admittedly, I've not read it all. In the fifty pages or so I have read, nothing like this has come up, though, which is why I'm posting to ask.

Think of it like a giant game of Rock Paper Scissors. If you're on foot only rockets can beat tank. If you're in a vehicle only vehicles of equal or greater strength can take you out and also rockets and aircraft. If you're in the air only aircraft and specific anti aircraft weapons can take you out unless you fly too close to the ground. Thing to remember is always pick your battles. If you are being attacked on foot by a heli or a tank or even just an armored car it can be intimidating since its hardly a fair fight but usually there's a way out even if it means hiding until they leave. The important thing is you stick around to complete the objective whether its capture a point or what have you. I can tell you as someone who likes to roll in a tank I'm actually pretty afraid of rolling into a place if there's even two or more rocket men. Hell even one guy on foot could take you out if he plays it right. It's just a matter of knowing what counters what.as for the actual shooting game a lot of people like to do the run and gun thing thsts so cool with he kids playing cod and that works for a lot of people but just remember anything at a reasonable distance will be harder to hit because of the bullet drop which is highly exaggerated in this game for scale. It affects everything down to rockets so you just have to get used to it and again you might have to forego shooting at someone if you can't reasonably hit them

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

VeggieSmuggler posted:

That's a great feature.

Yeah, I remember being at the top of the scoreboard in my team despite going like 5/12, just by assisting everyone and capping poo poo.

On a completely unrelated topic, am I the only one who actually kinda prefers the Stinger over the Igla? Losing out the 100 meters range seems worth it just to be able to have another missile already underway before the target even realises what's what.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CombatBonta-kun posted:

I found this out the fun way when a pilot in an attack chopper got a little to close to me when I was in the .50 on a tank. I must have put about 4-7 rounds right in his face because I saw a kill pop up on my screen and the chopper just dropped to the ground almost unharmed.

Yup. You can do the same thing with infantry weapons, too. Pilots get a bit of damage protection, but the engies are 100% exposed. The trick is hitting them quickly and hard enough to kill em, which is why I recommend the m249 or the LSAT, due to its stability.

E: also, it's so hard to switch from your favored weapon to the next :( Trading in a suppressed, gripped, eotech/mag M249 for an LSAT with nothing but a bipod is just annoying as hell.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 5, 2013

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Perestroika posted:

In a completely unrelated topic, am I the only one who actually kinda prefers the Stinger over the Igla? Losing out the 100 meters range seems worth it just to be able to have another missile already underway before the target even realises what's what.

I prefer the Stinger on maps with enough tall buildings that I can't lock the Hold lock easily. Tools for the right job I guess.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 5, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I performed the Unpark Cores tweak and got very noticeable improvements in FPS. Back to Medium 1080P, even turned on AA, but turned off AO, and stayed above 50FPS.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

So it's kind of annoying that on Battlelog there is no info sheets on the different attachments and upgrades. Here's a rundown on them all if anyone cares or doesn't like to google or whatever http://bf4central.com/battlefield-4-attachments-and-accessories/

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Is the SCAR bugged? I gave it a try after unlocking and no hits ever register even though I somehow got a 2 kill multikill by spraying wildly from the hip.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Single player keeps crashing. I just want to get the m249 and that linked save file is unavailable :/

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

If you're ever holding a room/position/whatever with several dudes- pay attention to where they are looking. Chances are, 90% of the time, everyone is focused on the same doorway or chokepoint shooting at people and throwing grenades. Turn your rear end around and watch the flanks and rear instead. This will save your, and your squads rear end, more than you believe.

Never crowd. If you see yourself standing near 2-3 other guys in the same place you should feel nervous and want to move away and overwatch them or their flanks.

Repeating this for the newcomers. Nothing gets on my nerves more than someone coming over and standing beside me when I am capping a flag. If someone gets the drop on me, the other person should be positioned to counter. The number of squads I have wiped that are all within 2m of each other, facing the same way. It is why flanking works.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

WastedJoker posted:

Is the SCAR bugged? I gave it a try after unlocking and no hits ever register even though I somehow got a 2 kill multikill by spraying wildly from the hip.

Not only does the SCAR work, it's becoming one of the preferred weapons in hardcore since it can kill in 2 bullets at nearly any range.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Raphus C posted:

Repeating this for the newcomers. Nothing gets on my nerves more than someone coming over and standing beside me when I am capping a flag. If someone gets the drop on me, the other person should be positioned to counter. The number of squads I have wiped that are all within 2m of each other, facing the same way. It is why flanking works.

On this same note, spawing on a recon that is nice enough to setup a spawn beacon and work his way to be a reall nice spawn point himself is not a lisence to spawn and immediately open fire on anything you see moving. I can't count the number of times I've gotten killed because some pubbie spawns next to me and opens fire while I'm right next to him.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

On this same note, spawing on a recon that is nice enough to setup a spawn beacon and work his way to be a reall nice spawn point himself is not a lisence to spawn and immediately open fire on anything you see moving. I can't count the number of times I've gotten killed because some pubbie spawns next to me and opens fire while I'm right next to him.

I apologize because that's me sometimes. I know better but sometimes I get too eager haha.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Acquire Currency! posted:

Which is gloriously awesome in itself but also promotes staying in squad.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Gropiemon posted:

So it's kind of annoying that on Battlelog there is no info sheets on the different attachments and upgrades. Here's a rundown on them all if anyone cares or doesn't like to google or whatever http://bf4central.com/battlefield-4-attachments-and-accessories/

That list is goddamn terrible. It tells you even less information than Battlelog does. Just use the Symthic attachments section.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Which is gloriously awesome in itself but also promotes staying in squad.

I wouldn't say that. The "assist counts as kill" feature works for anybody in your team, you just need to do over 75% of the damage.

Although there are plenty of things that do encourage staying as a squad. The spawning mechanic, the squad upgrades, and so on.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 5, 2013

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Liberatore posted:

That list is goddamn terrible. It tells you even less information than Battlelog does. Just use the Symthic attachments section.

Your link has the numbers, mine has the description.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Liberatore posted:

I wouldn't say that. The "assist counts as kill" feature works for anybody in your team, you just need to do over 75% of the damage.

Although there are plenty of things that do encourage staying as a squad. The spawning mechanic, the squad upgrades, and so on.

Ah. I thought it was squad only.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

Spawn and start firing rockets is way better. Gotta get that smoke trail going in case people didn't immediately notice the flash of light from automatic fire.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Gropiemon posted:

Your link has the numbers, mine has the description.

Yeah, but Battlelog has the description already. Just click the information button next to the attachments name. As I said, that list has even less information than Battlelog.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Ah. I thought it was squad only.

Yeah, you get a small bonus for squad assists which is why you see "squad assist counts as kill" in addition to "assist counts as kill".

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So is there a reason to ever use a Compensator or Muzzle Brake on anything? Especially over a suppressor, flash hider or heavy barrel. In contrast seem to make your weapons worse.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bolow posted:

So is there a reason to ever use a Compensator or Muzzle Brake on anything? Especially over a suppressor, flash hider or heavy barrel. In contrast seem to make your weapons worse.

Brake, not at all. A compensator could work on weapons with lots of horizontal drift, long as you control your bursts.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Liberatore posted:

If you're playing Domination and your squad leader designates an Attack/Defend order on one of the capture points, you get a lot of bonus experience for doing absolutely nothing different.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Naturally Selected posted:

Brake, not at all. A compensator could work on weapons with lots of horizontal drift, long as you control your bursts.

I like the compensator on pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Bolow posted:

The suppressor muzzle velocity hit significantly affects long range accuracy. I wouldn't suggest it unless you're always doing close range stuff.

Heavy barrel only works when you're not moving, and the data shows that even if you can perfectly adjust for the vertical recoil added by the HB, the compensator will still provide better accuracy after a certain number of shots (for ARs, it's anywhere from 3 to 8 shots). For most people and most weapons, the compensator is a better choice.

Muzzle Brake is terrible. It helps with a handful of guns but odds are you're better off using a gun with less vertical recoil if you need it.

Umberger posted:

If you're playing Domination and your squad leader designates an Attack/Defend order on one of the capture points, you get a lot of bonus experience for doing absolutely nothing different.

That goes for pretty much any mode. Mark the bomb in obliteration, mark CPs in conquest, mark the MCOMs in rush, and so on.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 5, 2013

• Locked thread