Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

David Corbett posted:

The history of the papacy goes back to St. Peter (listed in my game as Greek) and the Ecumenical Patriarchy to his brother, St. Andrew (who, in my game, was inexplicably Scots).

Inexplicably?

:scotland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Oh, right, thanks.

And I suppose sending the targets are probably unreformed pagan too, so even if the armies aren't eradicated piecemeal when sending them by their constituent pieces they'd take horrible attrition while slowly rallying.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Readingaccount posted:

Oh, right, thanks.

And I suppose sending the targets are probably unreformed pagan too, so even if the armies aren't eradicated piecemeal when sending them by their constituent pieces they'd take horrible attrition while slowly rallying.

Actually, that might be just what Grey needs to win against the Umayyads. Declare war, organize your stack deep into your own territory and bait them into doing the Yakety Sax around Ghana (since the AI prioritizes killing their enemy's army) while laughing that they are dying by the hundreds to our unreformed pagan bonus. The deserts are the greatest allies of the Ogoonu!

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

ZearothK posted:

Actually, that might be just what Grey needs to win against the Umayyads. Declare war, organize your stack deep into your own territory and bait them into doing the Yakety Sax around Ghana (since the AI prioritizes killing their enemy's army) while laughing that they are dying by the hundreds to our unreformed pagan bonus. The deserts are the greatest allies of the Ogoonu!

That seems like a really good idea, actually. Is there any reason why we haven't been fighting more defensively against the Umayyads? I'm getting the impression we're outnumbered against them, so I would think that would be a better a strategy.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Even if he isn't outnumbered by them, that is a very good idea to put the odds better in his favor compared to fighting fair.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
The one problem is that if we're trying to declare wars of conquest, the enemy doesn't actually need to do anything; time is on their side. If we don't attack, ticking warscore will start to benefit them, as long as we don't control the target.

Of course, I'm pretty sure the AI is too dumb to realize this, and will happily bleed itself to death sieging in the Sahara. But in principle, the tactic of "declare war and run away" is unsound.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Even with that, they could be baited. If Grey waits to attack until they're occupied on some other front (as he's been doing) he can bring up an army to use as a siege force and one to keep in reserve. Even if the siege force gets beaten, the enemy will likely try to capitalise on that and crush the remainder of his army, and that's when he drags them into the trackless Sahara.

e. Note, strategy one is not letting the siege army get eaten up, hopefully they can also draw the Arabs into the desert.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

Even with that, they could be baited. If Grey waits to attack until they're occupied on some other front (as he's been doing) he can bring up an army to use as a siege force and one to keep in reserve. Even if the siege force gets beaten, the enemy will likely try to capitalise on that and crush the remainder of his army, and that's when he drags them into the trackless Sahara.

e. Note, strategy one is not letting the siege army get eaten up, hopefully they can also draw the Arabs into the desert.

I have a feeling that Grey being Grey, he would probably object to anything less than this, because as stated, it's unlikely that anybody would respond to a snotty note from a bunch of sub-saharans declaring that they're officially at war with you, by marching ten thousand men through the trackless desert to go rough them up.

Even though the AI may do that if given a chance.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bot 02 posted:

That seems like a really good idea, actually. Is there any reason why we haven't been fighting more defensively against the Umayyads? I'm getting the impression we're outnumbered against them, so I would think that would be a better a strategy.

Out forces match the Umayyads, but as they are Muslims, they get to call on allies in defencive wars, meaning that they bring in anohter 20,000 men from their neigbours.

I have a plan though.

I could say if it will work or not, but I'm halfway through writing the next update....

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Grey Hunter posted:

I have a plan though.

I got chills.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

With the expansion and inevitable patch coming up in about a week, hopefully your savegame doesn't get nuked :ohdear:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I have a plan though.

Do it the Ogoonu way and mate with their women BEFORE pillaging, and even conquest? Make them want us to come before we're even there by turning them into us? Sir, you're a genius!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is it possible to completely purge all non dynasty courtiers/counts/dukes from our realm or will they keep replenishing themselves from out of nowhere? Because getting rid of the whole "Ghana" thing and becoming the Ogoona family would be all kinds of cool.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
"Ghana, short for Ogoona, is a country in Africa."

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Asehujiko posted:

Is it possible to completely purge all non dynasty courtiers/counts/dukes from our realm or will they keep replenishing themselves from out of nowhere? Because getting rid of the whole "Ghana" thing and becoming the Ogoona family would be all kinds of cool.

It would be tricky to get rid of all the courtiers since they do respawn but you could definitely have everyone with a title as an ogoonu, although it would require either a lot of clever marriages, huge amounts of tyrannous imprisonings or trying to get your non-dynasty vassals to revolt so you can legally strip them of their title and give it to a family member.

This guy did it: http://imgur.com/a/lFdvC

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

That can't possibly be done without cheating :catstare:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

nimby posted:

Thinking about it, it should be fairly easily done, it just takes longer than your standard WC. Since CK2 is so hilariously abusable to the point where you can WC in roughly 75 years (see also: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?650411-CK2-Hall-of-Fame-v2 ), adding additional challenges like making every ruler one of your dynasty is practically required to up the ante.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Byzantine posted:

I got chills.

Are they multiplying? Because Grey's losing control!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

nimby posted:

A while ago, someone demonstrated that in a sufficiently large empire, the tyranny penalty from revoking every title in your realm is offset by the relations bonus from giving your new vassals huge tracts of land.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Byzantine posted:

I got chills.

They're multiplying. And I'm losing control.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Mamadou gives his son the Capital to look after, and moves his capital north for a time to try and focus building it up. This also gives his son a chance to make his own way. It takes a few years for the countries money to build up to the point of being useful.

The Umayyad's go to war with the Aghlabids, and the Mansa decides to try his luck at war once more.
Third time lucky right?

He masses his troops this time, but does not do so in time to stop the keep in Tafilalet from being burned down.

This time the first battle is a Ghanan victory.

The war with the Aghlabids ends, and they immediately come to the aid of the Umayyads.

Mamoudou's Marshall is able to combine his forces in time for the main Muslim army to hit, and a epic battle occurs.

Killing near two to one, the Ghanan light infantry and their bows, lead by better generals, turn the tide and win the day.

Another huge army slams into the force lead by Marshal Outai.

Another 5,000 Ummayad troops arrive and this battle turns from a victory to a defeat.

Mamoudou hires five thousand of his own mercenaries and sends his army back in.

The next year sees many more battle against smaller forces as the Sheik tries to raise armies but Outai can catch them before they form up.

With one final battle the strength of the Umayyad's is finally broken.

The war ends, and Marrakesh, one of the sites holy to the Snake in the Well, becomes part of Ghana!

With three cities, two castles and a temple, it is a province worth taking, even at the cost of tens of thousands of lives.

The Muslim Wali is removed from the mosque and it is given to his half brother.

It maybe peaceful now for Ghana as a country, but there are always the inter-tribal wars to watch. Here Gao and Kumbee-Tenga are scrapping over some of the minor tribes.

Goa win. Mamoudou is not worried, as it will split in half in the next generation.

The next couple of years pass peacefully, and Marrakesh begins to pay into the royal coffers. Then Manaoudou is told of a plot against him.

This is quickly followed by another revelation that forces him to remove his Spymaster.

The Mansa's wife dies.

In true Ogoonu tradition, She is replaced by a lustful woman half the Mansa's age. (No lustful sixteen year olds were available)

Although it risks the old man's heart, he gives her his all. He may be called the effeminate, but it seems that Mamoudou is bisexual at least.

The Muslim population in Tafilalet do not take kindly to the words of the Well Snake.

Three and a half thousand of them launch and attack on the Mansa's garrison. Men are called up from all quarters to help put this revolt down.

Even with a thousand more men they cannot defeat true Ghanan soldiers.

The rebels are quickly crushed and N'Guna, the leader, executed.

After thirty two years on the throne Mamoudou dies. It is fitting that his epitaph is “He was effeminate, for an Ogoonu!” The Mansa's lands are split between his three eldest sons.

Zakoi II takes the reigns of the country. He already has a son of age, and four daughters. He is a naive appraiser, wrothful, gregarious, cynical and gluttonous, he remains a kind man. He also has a huge pile of money.

The Umayyads seem to have been waiting for this moment, as they declare war. Marrakesh is theirs they say, and they are coming to take it.

It does seem that Mamoudou was not finished populating the world with Ogoonus.

Armies are massed.

It takes some time, but Zakoi is able to finally bring the enemy to battle. Starvation and forced marches have reduced both armies by a great deal.

This is another great Ghanan victory, and allows the new Mansa to prove his worth on the field of battle, something that has been lacking from recent monarchs.

The Umayyads bring up another army of huge size, and a series of defeats force the Ghanan's back into their own lands.

As we bring this update to a close, we see the old Ghanan tactic of paying for a whole load of mercenaries come into play. The tide turns and the Muslim forces flee north through the inhospitable desert.

While you will have to wait for the resolution of that conflict, we have reached the turning of another century, and it is time to see what has been happening in the world.

Ghana is still Ghana.

Aquataine is the only Christian power left in Iberia, it is now split between four powers.

Western Europe sees France and Aquitaine holding lands, Lombardy has lost the lands of East Francia, but there are several large kingdoms here.

Britain is split between England and Scotland.

Scandinavia has Norway hanging on to the coast with Karelia the main power.

Central Europe has the normal patchwork of countries.

But, I can hear you asking from here, who are the blue nation?

It seems the Turks have been busy......
Byzantium is crumbling, and has a number of buffer states.

Finally, the Middle East and North East Africa. Arabia is a major power here.

Some interesting things going on there.....

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
An Ogoonu who is neither craven nor lustful? Are you sure he is a real Ogoonu?

Also, nice work taking Marrakech! Are we far away from reforming the religion?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
What's that Blue Natio... oh. Oh. OH.

:aaaaa:

drat the Turks are busy. Only they seem to be much further north than historical?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Surgut nationalists will be one very smug people if things continue like this.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The Seljuk are only a decade away from imploding!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Glorious three non-contiguous chunks of Serbia!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Soiled Meat
No wonder the Seljuks are on the rise: They control Bulgaria!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Well done grey! Keep it up.

Ill do another history post (or two, or three) on the weekend.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Well Snake is with us this day. I may have originally supported a Welsh kingdom (being part Welsh) but drat if Ghana isn't proving to be awesome.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I just had the thought of this game in EU4 or Vicky 2 with a Sunni Russia.

It was great.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Vaga42Bond posted:

drat the Turks are busy. Only they seem to be much further north than historical?

This happens with the Ilkhanate too. Horde AI tends to prefer conquering easy targets where possible, and the Russian states tend to be much less united & easier to conquer than Arabia/Persia.

This also means that the Golden Horde beginning by conquering the Ilkhanate is really common, since the Ilkhanate will happily swallow the whole east edge of the map before moving west.

It's kind of dumb!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

This happens with the Ilkhanate too. Horde AI tends to prefer conquering easy targets where possible, and the Russian states tend to be much less united & easier to conquer than Arabia/Persia.

This also means that the Golden Horde beginning by conquering the Ilkhanate is really common, since the Ilkhanate will happily swallow the whole east edge of the map before moving west.

It's kind of dumb!

I suspect what's driving the push north for the Seljuks is their religious differences with the Tengri steppe and the Holy War CB. You'll notice that they haven't pushed west through the Muslim buffer states between themselves and the ERE as they did historically, despite Azerbaijan-Armenia's military being much smaller than theirs and still the most significant opposition.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Marrakech both taken and held! How is our religious authority doing, and what's out last holy site?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Jazerus posted:

I suspect what's driving the push north for the Seljuks is their religious differences with the Tengri steppe and the Holy War CB. You'll notice that they haven't pushed west through the Muslim buffer states between themselves and the ERE as they did historically, despite Azerbaijan-Armenia's military being much smaller than theirs and still the most significant opposition.

Yep, that's probably true too.

Poor Russia.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

Vaga42Bond posted:

They get 70k free spawn attritionless troops.

In CK2+, most empires have only around 30k troops.

They can basically beat up anyone they want.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
What's the last province we need before taking the Well Snake to new heights?

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Atlas mountain if I remember correctly

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Looks like the Seljuks are beating the everloving poo poo out of everyone as they historically did even if this time they've gone in a slightly different direction. Maybe they just got lost.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Neruz posted:

Looks like the Seljuks are beating the everloving poo poo out of everyone as they historically did even if this time they've gone in a slightly different direction. Maybe they just got lost.

:downs: "Look guys, I keep telling you, Rome is just right over there..."

:crossarms: "Dude, this is like the fifth "Rome" we've been to."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

the JJ posted:

:downs: "Look guys, I keep telling you, Rome is just right over there..."

:crossarms: "Dude, this is like the fifth "Rome" we've been to."

They're just Roman around. Had to take out the Third Rome before it got going in this timeline. Two of them is bad enough!

• Locked thread