Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Note that he's a very commited peace-lover and managed to turn a Sith Lord outright with what sounds like little actual damage(Something that pretty much DOES NOT HAPPEN in entrenched Sith Lords). He likely DOES intend to hold the Emperor hostage, maybe even hopes to turn him or at least talk the War down.

Of course, it won't go like that since the bugger's a body-hopper, apparently. Not to mention far more powerful than they realise.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Bloodly posted:

Note that he's a very commited peace-lover and managed to turn a Sith Lord outright with what sounds like little actual damage(Something that pretty much DOES NOT HAPPEN in entrenched Sith Lords). He likely DOES intend to hold the Emperor hostage, maybe even hopes to turn him or at least talk the War down.

Of course, it won't go like that since the bugger's a body-hopper, apparently. Not to mention far more powerful than they realise.

Might want to spoiler that poo poo or remove it all together.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bloodly posted:

Actual unconfirmed spoilers

That's not how you do creepy spoilers. :colbert:

This is how you do creepy spoilers:

Dolash posted:

Surely killing him would ignite a big enough civil war in the Empire to replace him that the Republic could roll them.

You'd think so, but it really wouldn't.

VVVVV Where the Emperor remote controlled a carefully-prepared meat puppet?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 2, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ferrosol posted:

Might want to spoiler that poo poo or remove it all together.

He's spoiling something revealed in a previous Jedi Knight update.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hm, after what we saw happen to Kira, it's not an unreasonable conclusion. Exactly how much he can do with that power isn't clear yet though.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You'd think so, but it really wouldn't.

The Emperor being extremely hands-off already seems to be allowing more infighting than is normal for the Empire. The higher turnover rate of important figures and the fruition/foiling of long-running plots that we see in the Imperial thread seems to be the product of the Emperor not being around to intimidate the Dark Council and other top Sith back into line. Killing the Emperor would surely accelerate that, since figures like Baras wouldn't have to try and subtly take over roles like "Voice of the Emperor" and could instead try going straight for the top job.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

[With a solid result of 25 to 6, Option A is the winner! We now return you to the update already in progress.]

Well drat if that wasn't the best offer I've got all year. I was a lousy soldier when I was wearing the uniform, and ever since I've taken it off I've been a lousy smuggler but ten times the soldier. This could be my perfect niche – and if the war's finally heating up, I'll be damned if I'm going to sit on the sidelines while bastards like Rogun and the Voidwolf run riot for the Empire.

So what do you think I said?

Recommended for our hero's return to duty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdFzii679JI

I took the job, of course!

quote:

Senator Dodonna: Then by the power invested in me by the Galactic Senate, I hearby swear you in as a true servant of the Republic, privateer.

Risha: Now don't you wish you'd showered and shaved before you came?

Senator Dodonna: It's a straightforward deal. We give you targets, cargo, the job we need done and all the support we can covertly provide.

Senator Dodonna: In return, we look the other way about any laws you break, or private gains you make along the way

Quinine: The Republic can count on me.

Is that jealousy I hear? Really? I mean, I guess Dodonna's quite a looker for her age (whatever it is, I can't tell), but that doesn't mean I was...

Hm. Okay, maybe I was.

quote:

Senator Dodonna: Our top target right now is Balmorra. One of the most likely hotspots for open war to be declared.

Quinine: Is there anyone in the galaxy who still thinks we aren't at war.

Senator Dodonna: The longer we lie, the more people live.

Funny, I see it the other way. Then again, I guess I'm no politician.

quote:

Darmas Pollaran: I know we're waiting until they're on-planet for the full briefing, but maybe in a word...?

Senator Dodonna: Balmorra used to supply half the Republic's military resources. Now it's occupied by the Imperials and all that technology is going to the-

quote:

Security Officer Matto: Imperial fleet de-cloaked, port side. No, ah! Starboard side. They're all around us!

Flight officer Rowost: It's the Voidwolf! Aaaaaah!

Rogun must've told his master his attack plan had failed, so the admiral's decided to take care of business himself. They're going to be a hard combo to beat.

Darmas has guts, I'll give him that. I hope he lives – with the underworld squeezed between Rogun and the Voidwolf, he's one of the view willing to stake a longshot bet on me.

We did like he said and started running for the hangar. Imperial troops had already come aboard, blasting everything in sight while looking for Dodonna.

Me and Risha joined the fight alongside a lot of the same pirates and smugglers who'd have taken a shot at me a minute ago for Rogun's big payday. That's just how life is in this business.

We could've made a clean break to the hangar, but I talked Risha into taking a detour back to the cantina to rescue the guys pinned down there. I figured anybody still alive in there was someone who'd opted not to blast me alongside Quarris, so I might as well pay 'em back and start building up some positive rep.

With Port Nowhere secure and the hyperdrive powering up for its next jump, we had to run to make it back to the Miel Muwn in time. Thank my lucky star that Bowdaar and Corso managed to hold the hangar.

We got clear just as Port Nowhere powered up. The Imperials hadn't put together a second wave yet, and before they could we all jumped. It'll take a few hours of random-walk jumps before we can be sure we've shaken any tails, but I'm willing to say we got away clean.

So here's where we're at. The Empire's got one of the most feared grand admirals and his fleet along with one of the galaxy's most ruthless crime lords ready to seize the underworld and turn it against the Republic. In the Republic's corner, they've got me, my ship and my crew.

The Empire doesn't stand a chance. See you on Balmorra.

##End Log##

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

The Emperor being extremely hands-off already seems to be allowing more infighting than is normal for the Empire. The higher turnover rate of important figures and the fruition/foiling of long-running plots that we see in the Imperial thread seems to be the product of the Emperor not being around to intimidate the Dark Council and other top Sith back into line. Killing the Emperor would surely accelerate that, since figures like Baras wouldn't have to try and subtly take over roles like "Voice of the Emperor" and could instead try going straight for the top job.

Something else to bear in mind: killing the Emperor and other Sith Lords who seem to be as much of a danger to the Empire as to the Republic might very well result in a stronger Empire as competent and even progressive leaders rise to fill vacancies. If anything, it feels like peace would have destroyed the Empire faster and more thoroughly than war.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

It feels like the Jedi Knight story was the first one Bioware came up with- you are the Chosen One on a mission to defeat the Biggest Bad in the galaxy, now assemble your team- and a lot of the other stories reference it in someway. I think the JK story was what KOTOR3 was originally intended to be.

Hey, isn't it illegal to impersonate an officer? :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Inferior posted:

It feels like the Jedi Knight story was the first one Bioware came up with- you are the Chosen One on a mission to defeat the Biggest Bad in the galaxy, now assemble your team- and a lot of the other stories reference it in someway. I think the JK story was what KOTOR3 was originally intended to be.

Hey, isn't it illegal to impersonate an officer? :v:

If Quinine's faking, why does everyone keep calling him Captain? :colbert: Checkmate.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dolash posted:

If Quinine's faking, why does everyone keep calling him Captain? :colbert: Checkmate.

Well those chops do lend an air of authority to him...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

Something else to bear in mind: killing the Emperor and other Sith Lords who seem to be as much of a danger to the Empire as to the Republic might very well result in a stronger Empire as competent and even progressive leaders rise to fill vacancies.

I think this is why the Emperor's retreated into seclusion, actually. Without him to call the shots, he can really take stock of how efficient his Empire is, as well test the loyalties of those who remain. Not only that, but all the infighting will, according to Sith philosophy, only breed a better, stronger government once the dust settles (it will never settle).

Dolash posted:

The Empire doesn't stand a chance.

Damned straight! :rock: I wanted to ask, is Quinine's new uniform moddable? Because I'd really like to see Quinine rock the galaxy in that getup all the way to level 50.

EDIT: And does it come with a swank hat? This is important :colbert:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 2, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The eternal tragedy of SWTOR is that all hats swap out the hair model, so the only way to wear a hat is to go bald. But yeah, the uniform's moddable. The game really does offer a pretty great selection of moddable equipment, most of which is pretty easily available from the Galactic Trade Network.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Inferior posted:

Yeah, the core story there (not to mention it being centered around a combat Jedi type) definitely feels like it was probably KOTOR 3, the stakes are some of the grandest in the game, and I can see how the JK storyline could easily have handled the planet-hopping aspects the original KOTOR series seemed to follow. Though I'm interested to see how a Dark Side JK goes through this one - just finished the storyline with a LS Knight yee gods the final boss is a bitch; even at 55 with 156 gear and forewarned enough to upgrade T7, I died for the first time ever playing the storyline because of the difficulty interrupting an insta-kill ability and having to single-target adds down at the same time and I'm curious how the DS version differs. Given KOTOR liked to significantly change-up the ending between light and dark side versions, I'm wondering if the JK storyline does the same thing. Or maybe the Sith Warrior storyline would have been the dark side ending for the hypothetical KOTOR 3; if Kira's background had been the original PC's in KOTOR 3 you'd have an excuse to wind up on either side.

Dolash posted:

The eternal tragedy of SWTOR is that all hats swap out the hair model, so the only way to wear a hat is to go bald. But yeah, the uniform's moddable. The game really does offer a pretty great selection of moddable equipment, most of which is pretty easily available from the Galactic Trade Network.

Yeah, I do like the moddable options a bunch; my BH main is still wearing the armor I got from Black Talon thanks to that. Though my irritation with hats is cutscenes seem to override the "hide headgear" option for companions a lot, leaving them wearing some of the more hideous headpiece options during said cutscenes. I wound up unlocking an efficiency scanner from the cartel packs for all my characters (shown here for those unfamiliar) just so I could slap something on all my companions that wouldn't obscure their faces. That's also a nice touch they added fairly recently; it costs a fair bit of real money, but it's nice if you get a rare drop out of a cartel pack to be able to unlock it for every character on your account. Buying the various crystals that way let you generate an infinite number of 'em, so I could slap one into everything I or a companion owns and get some pretty ridiculous stats at low level too.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Dolash posted:

But yeah, the uniform's moddable. The game really does offer a pretty great selection of moddable equipment, most of which is pretty easily available from the Galactic Trade Network.

drat near everything that's moddable has a dye module slot in it now too, which opens up the door for some kickass (or awful) looks. I can't even count the amount of spacebux I've wasted playing Pretty Space Princess Dress-Up with my characters.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
One advantage The Old Republic has over Mechwarrior Online? Pink Dye.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
This was my favorite part of the Smuggler's story. Killing Skavak was a great way to end the first act and then act two just starts off with a huge bang.

Past Balmorra is where I stopped playing on my Smuggler so I can't wait to see how the story continues.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PART 1: HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION

THE STORY SO FAR... posted:

It is a time of chaos in the galaxy. The GALACTIC REPUBLIC is under siege from the belligerent SITH EMPIRE, a ruthless dictatorship controlled by the sinister SITH LORDS. The noble JEDI ORDER fights alongside the Republic in the struggle to defeat the Empire and its dark masters.

One such master was the ancient Sith spirit TERRAK MORRHAGE, who had seized control of the fallen Jedi PARKANAS TARK and used him to spread a plague that twisted minds and turned its victims into Morrhage's slaves. Morrhage was able to feed off the life force of the infected, increasing his power exponentially until he had become a dire threat to the entire Republic.

However, Morrhage was thwarted by the actions of a single young Jedi, JOLUNE MOL'NEUX. With the help of an ancient healing ritual, she was able to cure the plague victims and break Morrhage's hold on Parkanas, banishing the evil Sith back to the darkness and ending his insane quest for power. For her success the JEDI COUNCIL named her BARSEN'THOR, “Warden of the Order” , and now she trains rigorously for the challenges to come. Well, sort of...

: ”Ahahahahaaa! Republic fool! I have you in my sights!”

: ”Dammit! My only chance is... the Inverse Pentastar manoeuvre!”

: ”There is no hope! I will gloat at you some more, because I am so evil! Ahahahahaaa!”

: ”Set etheric rudder to max... Now, retrofire the hyperdyne degausser!”

: ”Ahahahah- W-w-what! No! It cannot be!”

: ”Locked on! Fire!”

: pewpewpewKABOOM

: ”Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Curse you Jolune! We will meet again!”

: ”See you in hell, Lord Bloodmurder! Victory for the Republic”

: …

: I think I've been spending too much time alone in here.

: What's new, Seetoo?

: Nothing is new. We follow the patterns laid down by our ancestors, emulate their successes, repeat their mistakes. Like shadows cast by shadows are we, echoes of an ancient song no instrument can play. The galaxy turns and the song grows quiet. Eventually the turning will stop and all will return to du- no, wait, I'm wrong: yesterday F1-X1 made an omelette. That's new.

: Remind me why I ever ask you anything?

: My exceptional charisma? Also: Master Fess returned to the ship this morning.

: Qyzen's back!?

: Qyzen!

: Herald. How have you been?

: Ah... er... Busy! Jedi stuff. You?

: Is great peace in me since visiting father's bones, Herald. Thank you.

: Lek promises to be worthier. Scorekeeper will judge.

: I'm glad Lek managed to learn this lesson without being maimed by the Dusk Shadow, or his own explosives.

: Pain teaches well. But yes, hatchling mistakes should be small.

: This time begins new life phase, marked by rite of passage called “shko-yagu”. I must fast, contemplate, train.

: ...buy red sportspeeder, get a leather jacket, date a sexy blonde...

: Is serious.

: I know, I know.

: Skin regrows and matures. Body grows new muscle, to stay strong. I must hunt throughout shko-yagu-- shows devotion to Scorekeeper. But must be cautious.

: Good luck Qyzen. I'm here if you need any help with your extreme midlife crisis.

: Herald...

: Yes?

: You were wearing that shirt when I left ship month ago. Smells like hasn't been changed since.

: I like this T-shirt.

: When was last time you left ship?

: I... um... well...

A SHOWER LATER..

: ...Alright, fine, so I've basically been doing nothing this last month.

: Thought Jedi called that “meditation”.

: I haven't even been meditating. I have been too lazy to meditate. This is how bad it's gotten.

: And you left, and Tharan's away doing science stuff, and the Council haven't called, and I'm... bored.

: You wanted quiet life.

: I don't know what I want. Sometimes I almost miss Vivic-

: You want to stop running now.

: I want to stop running now... Huh?

: Nice work! You Jedi are just as quick as they say.

: I wasn't aware bounty hunting was even allowed in the Republic.

: Yep! Some kind of new justice bill, politicians getting tough on crime... the usual story.

: Bounty hunters though. I thought a bounty hunter was responsible for assassinating Master Jarro, and blowing up the RSS Aurora?

: Well...

: And didn't a bounty hunter shoot the head of Adascorp public relations?

: I don't...

: And wasn't it a bounty hunter who butchered the capos of the Three Families, in what the media later described as a “drug fuelled murder rampage”?

: She's got you there, Steve.

: Shut up, criminal filth! ...I don't know what sort of anti-hunter propaganda you've been listening to Jedi, but I can confidently assure you that all BBA certified hunters are fine, upstanding, justice-loving individuals who wouldn't dream of committing the sort of actions you describe.

: :newlol:

: Quiet! Listen...

: I'd better get our friend here turned in. Thanks again for the help.

: I hunted men once. Is no life for Jedi.

: Yeah, but... the sales pitch could be interesting. Hey, there's the BBA stall.

: If you are interested in the exciting career of bounty hunting, you may review available contracts by using the terminal nearby.

: I'm not really interested.

: You are a bored youth with some skill at violence who wants to do good in the galaxy. Of course you are interested. Take these.

: What are they?

: Carbonite grenades. Please note that Republic environmental regulations severely limit the amount of carbonite used to capture bounty targets in order to protect native planetary ecologies.

: Sounds... exciting.

: Herald, this is bad ide-

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PART 1.5: CRIMESTOPPERS!

CONTRACT posted:

FILE BBA-723: TAM DARAL, citizen of Coruscant (“Client”), has placed a Collective Bounty Contract with the Bounty Brokers Association (“BBA”) on merciless killers (“Bounties”) acting on behalf of a new Black Sun leader (“Kingpin”).

: Coruscant. City of a thousand sins. No surprise they needed the skills of a pro-hunter like me to clean house.

: ...

: The rich lived like giants, and the poor like ants. Crime was the string that tied them both together. And I was the scissors.

: :ughh:

: I saw the client across the plaza. A broken down man at the end of his tether. Maybe I could haul him back in.

: Talk like this all the time now?

: I've got to get into the hardboiled hunter mindset, Qyzen.

: Hunter mindset is two questions: can I kill it? and will I be paid? Nothing else.

: You're really taking the fun out of semi-professional vigilanteeism. Now...

: Name's Tam Daral. I represent a bunch of folk like myself-- people who lost loved ones to those no-good Black Sun thugs.

: I'll make sure these lowlifes are brought to justice.

: Justice. A little justice would mean the world to me right now. But a word of caution before you do your thing; some former Czerka exec, Samovan Bann-- he wants to revamp the Black Sun into a galactic franchise. People working for him are brutal.

Bounty hunting! This is an in-game event that has been running for one week every month since summer. During that week anyone over level 15 can pick up quests to hunt down lawbreakers on various planets and capture/kill them for money and prestige. Capture/kill enough and you get a shot at the big boss, but more on that later. All the quests follow the same structure- step 1: pick up quest on Carrick Station, step 2: talk to client on planet, step 3: gather intel...

A TAXI RIDE LATER...

: This cantina good for informants. Many of dubious loyalty within.

: Isn't this the place where we cut open that guy once? ...Sure hope they've cleaned the floors since then.

: Unlikely.

: Hey you! Spill the beans! Give us the good sugar! Breeze the whispers!

: ...What?

You need to gather four bits of intel to complete this part of the quest. You get a piece of intel by having friendly chats with “shady characters” in cantinas. They can respond in one of three ways- they give you what you want, they give you nothing, they attack you (and call some friends to help). There's a 1/3 chance of each happening, and it's totally random.

If they do attack you, you can retrieve the information from their cold dead hands.

: That... wasn't good.

: Maybe try bribery.

: Tell us what you know, in exchange for this delicious fruit cocktail.

: You're allllright, total-stranger-who-definitely-isn't-a-Jedi.

You can buy items to increase the chance of informants handing over the information without a fight. Using a “Friendly Drink” item is a light side action, and summons a little robot to serve a... friendly drink. You can also use an “Interrogation Droid” as a dark side action to electrocute people into submission. You can still get attacked though, even if you used an item. Some people are so ungrateful.

Once you've got all the information, it's time to have a little chat with the local snitch. There are several snitches, and whichever one you get is random. You can retry the conversation and get a different one every time. Some are more... interesting than others.

: Mmm. I knew there was something I liked about you, stranger.

Inept flirting: not just for smugglers anymore!

Seriously, it's a nice thing that in recent updates more same-sex stuff has been showing up throughout SWTOR.

: ...She stuck her tongue in my ear. Ewww! Why!?

: You flirted.

: I thought that's what bounty hunters were supposed to do with femme fatales! Ick... Now I'm all... I've got an ear full of spit.

: Normal for mammal romance.

: Uuuurgh... Thank the force Tharan isn't here.

: Now, need to go to Jedi Temple. If Freen right, target is there.

At the location is a beacon. Use beacon, fight bounty.

One of Samovan Bann's henchmen, Novane, is our target. He's burly lump of HP who uses grapples and stuns to disrupt your attacks. He will also summon minions (amusingly named henchmen's henchmen... well, I laughed) during the fight to get in your way.

These fights scale to your level, so they will always be a fair challenge, however because Bounty week triggers a mad scramble for targets, you will often find other players near the beacons. Novane was made trivial for me by the helpful intervention of a lvl55 player nearby.

You can kill Novane outright, but use the carbonite grenades you were given when he's at less than 10% health and...

: Those grenades worked better than I expected.

: Would look nice hanging on wall outside engine room.

: I'm not having a creepy frozen guy looking at me whenever I walk to the bathroom. Let's get him back to Tam.

The carbonite box will follow you around like a pet on the way back to the client. Hours of fun!

BACK AT THE SENATE PLAZA...

: One less Black Sun bottom feeder off the streets. Works for me.

Quest complete, hand it in back at Carrick Station for the reward. One of the prizes you get is a completed contract certificate. Collect five and you can purchase a Kingpin Contract, giving you a mission to fight the planet's kingpin (on Coruscant it's Samovan Bann) for a big reward.

The issue is that each character can only do one contract per day, and Bounty Contracts Week only lasts seven days out of every month. Hope you've got the time to play SWTOR every day, else you're going to be waiting a while to fight a kingpin.

Anyway, because this update is long enough and the bounty quests are all identical except for the fight at the end, I'll elide the next bit. Jolune fights more henchmen, collects the completion certificates, gets the contract to take down Samovan Bann.

: You haven't heard? Ever since his people were yanked out of the picture, Bann's been stepping up the violence in their place. Raiding local businesses. Firebombing homes. Anything he can do to scare us into submission. And from everything I hear, he's loving every second of it.

: :stare: Didn't this planet used to have a police force?

JUSTICAR SECTOR...

: Strange place for Black Sunner to hide out.

: It's always the last place you'd expect.

: Fly my pretties! ...Alright, let's see if this works...

Finding Kingpin targets is different than usual bounties. First up, you release probes in a certain area on the map. Then you go to first person view to find and scan the probes randomly scattered around using your “bounty scanner”

If you're wondering how Jolune can do this despite being a Miralukan and therefore having no eyes, then it's because the macrobinoculars have a “Miralukan interface”. Yes, that is the explanation Bioware went with, and it works perfectly well in my opinion. :colbert:

The scanning minigame is pretty dumb, but anything that breaks up the grind is always welcome. Once you've scanned five probes, the location of the target is pinpointed.

: This is an unscheduled meeting!

: Here he comes!

Bann's one of the easiest Kingpins, and he's still an absolute tank. He scales to your level and, like Novane, he'll use stuns and grapples to disrupt your attacks. If you're not careful he can knock you over the side of the platform for an instant kill. He will also summon 3 minions every few minutes after the fight begins.

Best tackled with a group, but doable solo if you're well geared. And patient.

: !!!

: I've taken on assistant managers more worrisome than you!

His combat taunts are all... uh... “businessy”.

Like before, I got help from a passing lvl55 which simplified things greatly. God bless you, Party Time Pickford of the Happy Time Fun Squad.

: I can't believe it's come to this. I had such plans... *thud*

: Looks like the smoking Bann just got enforced.

: You see, 'cause I used the Force, and his name's Bann, and he's still... smoking... slightly...

: :raise:

: :( ...I don't think I want to be a bounty hunter anymore.

AND SO...

: Samovan Bann will never trouble anyone again.

: He's really dead? He's really dead. Him and his Black Sun franchise plans. Good riddance.

: You're welcome, Tam. Let's go, Qyzen.

BACK AT THE SPACEPORT...

: Oh, there you are.

: Tharan! You're back!

: And in my absence you've turned into some common thug. Honestly, bounty hunting- only psychopaths, sociopaths, and people who get off on really shiny armor do that sort of thing for a living.

: I missed you too.

: Yes, well, Syo's been trying to get in touch, but you were busy living out your space cowboy fantasies...

: Master Bakarn!

[VIDEO: Get Back to Work]

: You're not mad about the bounty hunting thing?

: No... so long as you don't go on any drug fuelled murder rampages.

: No! No way!

: Now, events are moving faster than we anticipated. The Council is calling an emergency conference with the Supreme Chancellor, and we need you to attend.

: Whatever the order requires, I stand ready.

: Excellent. I knew we could rely on you. The conference is being held on Tython, at the temple. Come as soon as you can. There is also... another matter we should talk of in person. *bzzt*

: They've certainly piqued my interest. Guess we're back on the clock.

: Council knows of your greatness, Herald. They would not dishonor you.

: I'd hope not. But if such illustrious personages demand our presence, I suppose we shouldn't keep them waiting.

NEXT TIME: Holiday sorts out her hair. Oh, and the Republic collapses.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 14, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Neat to see how all that bounty hunter hullabaloo actually works! The rewards don't seem that impressive for all the grinding it appears to take, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are bounties more to give level-capped people something interesting to do? They seem like a neat little experience.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Glazius posted:

Are bounties more to give level-capped people something interesting to do? They seem like a neat little experience.

As long as you're at least level 15 you can participate. There are bounties on 8 different planets - 6 planets per faction including the bounties on shared planets. Keep in mind, as you increase in level the lower-level henchman bounties become unavailable to you (can't remember if that applies to kingpins as well). Each planet will give you one of four possible henchmen and each planet has a different kingpin. You can do one henchman and one kingpin per character per day. You get reputation with the Bounty Broker's Association, which allows you to get some Bind On Legacy gear and HK-51/Treek customizations as well as the usual pets and vehicles.

http://dulfy.net/2013/06/28/swtor-bounty-broker-association-reputation-rewards/

I think it's a neat event and a great way to do something different for a week. There's achievements and titles for capturing and killing all available henchmen and kingpins, so if you're into achievement-hunting that's something cool to do.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Hahaha, nice touch with the banner this update.

CesiumCanoe posted:

As long as you're at least level 15 you can participate. There are bounties on 8 different planets - 6 planets per faction including the bounties on shared planets. Keep in mind, as you increase in level the lower-level henchman bounties become unavailable to you (can't remember if that applies to kingpins as well). Each planet will give you one of four possible henchmen and each planet has a different kingpin. You can do one henchman and one kingpin per character per day. You get reputation with the Bounty Broker's Association, which allows you to get some Bind On Legacy gear and HK-51/Treek customizations as well as the usual pets and vehicles.

http://dulfy.net/2013/06/28/swtor-bounty-broker-association-reputation-rewards/

I think it's a neat event and a great way to do something different for a week. There's achievements and titles for capturing and killing all available henchmen and kingpins, so if you're into achievement-hunting that's something cool to do.

Yep, the titles are kinda amusing (especially for Bounty Hunters; I was running around with "Hired Gun [PC name]; For Hire" as my BH's title for a while) and if you don't care about the rep (or are max rep) the rep items are actually worth decent cash at low level. The level limit is only on the first planet (Ord Mantell or Hutta); can't do the henchman quest there after level 27, though you can still do kingpin there when unlocked. They wound up doing that because too many high levels were lazy and kept going to those planets and lagging things up for the lowbies I believe. So they all just go to Coruscant/Drommand Kaas now instead *sigh*.

As you can see it's fairly straightforward (if not simplistic) but it's nice to have an event lowbies can do also for a change. Main things of note I recall; the Imperial version did at least note if you were already a bounty hunter (pitch becomes more "show these newbies how it's done"), one of the henchmen is a droid and if you freeze him they actually thought to give him a different little case following you around, and doing the Nar Shaddaa henchman bounty with my Inquisitor put the Steve Blum voice-acting to mind-shattering levels since he voiced BH-7X, the Nar Shaddaa quest giver, AND my companion :psyduck:.

Dolash posted:

Neat to see how all that bounty hunter hullabaloo actually works! The rewards don't seem that impressive for all the grinding it appears to take, though.

Not really impressive, no. Though the grinding goes VERY fast if you're as alt-happy as me since even lowbies can do it; I finished all the achievements and maxed the rep in about 2 weeks total work over the couple months since the event started. Only real sticking point was the bosses; not counting the unlock requirements, I have to say the "can be solo'd" thing is WAY outside my experience since I've inevitably died every time I tried, so you need to hope to find someone doing your particular boss (and not only can you only do one boss a day, you can do any particular boss only once during that month's event). Your partner better be near your level too since the boss summoned matches the level of the highest person present in a group (if those 55s had actually been in a PARTY with Jolune, she would have been running into level 55 henchmen/bosses and most likely exploded in a few hits).

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PART 2: THE REBEL ALLIANCE

Previously posted:

The Jedi JOLUNE MOL'NEUX has been summoned to an emergency conference with the SUPREME CHANCELLOR of the REPUBLIC...

: They say the conference will be starting soon. We should get ready.

: Hmm.

: We've been trying to think of the absolute perfect entry for the Lumenatus Club's symposium.

: I thought that's what you were working on when you went travelling?

: We got distracted!

: Distracted?

: Twins, if you must know.

: Ehhh... nevermind. But you must have had some ideas about your symposium entry.

: Nothing we've come up with has quite the spectacular edge I'm looking for. Any ideas?

: Potato clock?

: ...Any other ideas?

: ”Hey, nerds! Check out my sexy virtual girlfriend!” Grand prize in the bag.

: No, no! What if they want to examine her-- disassemble her? No, Holiday's out of the question.

: Yes... perfect! I'll build a Vandrayk Generator. It was theorized by Doctor Gorman Vandryk centuries ago, but never realised.

: As I recall, a Vandryk Generator runs on a form of energy that doesn't exist. Doctor Vandryk was pretty senile by the time he developed the theory.

: A minor setback.

: He thought he was a Wookiee three days a week, and wrote his research notes with urine.

: All geniuses have their eccentricities.

: It wasn't even his own urine.

: A functioning Vandrayk Generator would prove a dozen theories. And cement my place in scientific history. Such a project! Sorry, Jedi, I really must get started.

: You're not getting out of the conference that easily.

: But there are laws of physics just begging to be broken! Can't Qyzen do this?

: The laws of physics will still be there after we deal with the Supreme Chancellor's problem... unless his problem is on a much bigger scale than expected. And Qyzen's busy dealing with the onset of middle age, which is apparently a pretty violent thing for Trandoshans. Now, come on.

: Good to see the giant dodecahedron's still in one piece after Darth Angral's attack.

: What is it for though?

: I dunno. Art?

[VIDEO: The Promotion]

: What can I do for you, Chancellor?

: You may not be aware that the Empire is not our only concern. The Republic itself is on the brink of collapse. Across the galaxy, many worlds are talking about secession, even open rebellion against the Republic.

: I heard about Ord Mantell, but... The Republic has survived intact for thousands of years. What has changed?

: The threat of the Empire has strained us all. Dwindling resources, attacks, trade being lost... it's taken a toll.

: ”Rift Alliance”? “Breach Union” was taken then? Ooh, how about “Fall-apart Federation”?

: This Rift Alliance claims to have lost all faith in the Republic. Those worlds are threatening to sever all ties. Permanently.

: But the Republic is badly weakened. The Rift Alliance controls critical resources, armies, trade centers. If they leave, the Republic will die.

: I want to assign a Jedi as my representative to the Rift Alliance, to prove the Republic takes their grievances seriously.

: I'm sure their faith will be completely restored when the Republic sends one guy to deal with all their problems.

: When I asked the Council for candidates, yours was the first name they suggested.

: :stare: I am flattered, sir, but I'm no politician.

: You've experienced many cultures and overcome immense challenges. You're the person I want.

: But your patience, your compassion and wisdom, show that you merit the rank. Will you accept and become the order's newest Jedi Master?

: :aaa:

: Jedi?

: :aaaaa:

: Jolune!

: Ah! I... It's a great responsibility. I don't know if I'm prepared for this.

: Kneel, and the Supreme Chancellor will bear witness.

: We are one voice, one order, bound together by the Force.

: Through her actions, this Jedi has proved worthy, before our order and the Force itself.

: We grant you the rank of Jedi Master. Protect and guide the Republic, as the Force guides you.

: Rise, and may the Force be with you.

: :golfclap:

: Speech!

: Shut up, Tharan. Ahem... How should I begin?

: I've convinced several diplomats from the Rift Alliance to be guests aboard a Republic flagship, the Fortitude.

: You know these people, sir. I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

: Get on Representative Alauni's good side. Though, between us, I'm not certain she has one.

: Representative Alauni = problem. Check.

: That went well. And by well, I mean ARRRRRRRRGGHHHHH.

: Look on the bright side, you got a promotion. All you need to do now is stop the millenia-old apogee of galactic civilisation imploding under the weight of its own incompetence. Easy.

: Tharan! Don't laugh this off! The Council have sold me to this... Rift Alliance... and if I gently caress up, it's goodnight Republic!

: I'm sure you'll be able to deal with the Alliance's problems. They're probably just moaning about taxes or tariffs or what have you.

: ...And they made me a Master! Six months ago I wasn't even a Padawan, and now I'm a Master! I don't know how to be a Master! Shouldn't there be rules against this sort of thing!

: Confidence, Jedi.

: :cripes:

: I think I have a paper bag somewhere for you to breathe into.

: NOT. HELPING. Aaaah... we need to get to the Fortitude, right now.

A SHORT TRIP TO THE OUTER RIM LATER...

: Here we are. So where's the welcome wagon?

: There is a faint signal coming from the Fortitude. Secret messages in the dark... how romantic!

: I'm Nadia Grell. My father and the other Senators-- we were all invited here by the Chancellor. Then the ship was attacked-- boarded-- by people calling themselves “Sith”.

: So, Sith then. Or maybe extreme cosplayers. Is everyone alright?

: The captain's dead. He was so nice... and the crew. Most of them are dead too.

: Definitely Sith.

: My father's in there! But I can't get to him. I just hid.

: There's a console on one of the lower decks that can open the bridge. Here, I'll send you the location.

NEXT TIME: Ain't no party like a boarding party, 'cause a boarding party don't stop.

BONUS SPACE EMAILS:

Parkanas Tark posted:

I have seen the Jedi Temple under the light of dawn. I have smelled Tython's air.

The Jedi Council has sought me out. I have nothing to say to them. After Morrhage's endless rage, I want silence.

Morrhage was such an ancient soul. His hatred of the Jedi, and the healer who first defeated his plague, was like a dark sun inside him. That anger cast the entire Malachor system under its shadow. Mine was the smallest of echoes beside it. But even that was enough to condemn me.

Do not make my mistakes. Do not succumb to rage, or let yourself be blinded, trustingly, by the light.

I will be free of the past. I will find peace.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 1, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeeesh, that's a lot to take in - a big promotion, an alliance of would-be separatists, a Sith boarding party taking over a Republic flagship...

Honestly, if the plan is to win the Alliance back by assuaging their fears that the Republic will fall to the Sith Empire, this isn't the best way to start.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose the advantage to having the Sith hierarchy being a bunch of backstabbers who can't trust each other is that when one of them is turned they have no idea what anyone else was planning.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, it's nice to see the Sith tendency of "not leaving things well enough alone" is going to continue to bite them in the rear end.

If the Empire had given even the slightest inkling that they'd leave secessionist Republic worlds alone the Republic would've been dead in weeks.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, it's nice to see the Sith tendency of "not leaving things well enough alone" is going to continue to bite them in the rear end.

If the Empire had given even the slightest inkling that they'd leave secessionist Republic worlds alone the Republic would've been dead in weeks.

The Sith are, as usual, their own worst enemies.

Seriously, if they were to manage to keep it together long enough to actually defeat the Republic they'd self destruct within two decades at most... Oh, wait.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

One advantage The Old Republic has over Mechwarrior Online? Pink Dye.

Tell Quinn that pink has well-known qualities for being extremely difficult to detect in low-visibility situations, dawn and dusk in particular.

The natural outcome of what will happen after you tell him that, well, I think we all know what it'll be.

really!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
LOL, the Jedi Counselor makes Master THAT early? That's pretty funny considering when the Jedi Knight class gets it, and they have a Padawan following them around most of the game. Talk about a blatantly political move; they didn't want to make it look like they were ignoring the Rift Alliance by sending a "regular" Jedi, so they had to send a Master (while still not sending an actual experienced Jedi master; I guess seniority gets you out of obvious fetch questing).

kaosdrachen posted:

The Sith are, as usual, their own worst enemies.

Seriously, if they were to manage to keep it together long enough to actually defeat the Republic they'd self destruct within two decades at most... Oh, wait.

About the only reason they held together in the first place between the last Sith conflict and this one was spending the whole time preparing to take revenge (and thus being on an effective "war footing" the whole time) if memory serves. Also probably helped the Emperor was more active and probably stomped the more ambitious idiots down back then. Though I suppose given that even cutting back to only two Sith in existence didn't stop the backstabbing, the Sith Empire is surprisingly intact and non-stupid really.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's a reason for that.

And that reason are the Sith's Imperial allies. Highly organized, numerous, and able to take unexpected changes to the command structures (including Sith Lords) they're following without batting an eye.

Edit: And the Chiss.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: And the Chiss.
Right up to their inevitable betrayal.

Seriously, the Chiss are weird. They were hyped in the run-up to SWTOR's release as this mysterious power who are the Empire's only ally, then the game comes out and Chiss NPCs only show up on Hoth as generic quest givers. No backstory or anything. Either Bioware are building to something with them, or it was only ever just a flimsy excuse for Zahn references.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PART 3: HANG TOGETHER

Previously posted:

The GALACTIC REPUBLIC is at the brink. The RIFT ALLIANCE, a group of powerful worlds, plan to secede, and trigger the collapse of the Republic in the process. SUPREME CHANCELLOR JANARUS despatches Jedi Master JOLUNE MOL'NEUX to negotiate with the ALLIANCE onboard the RSS FORTITUDE. But a SITH boarding party has got to the FORTITUDE first...

: This isn't a good start to my diplomatic career.

: Explaining to the Alliance how we lost a flagship to the Sith and got all their ambassadors killed will be an interesting conversation.

: They might not all be dead! ...Maybe!

: How many guys did they bring?! It looks like Kaas City on a Friday night.

Here's a secret- in the docking bay of the Fortitude, head up this ramp.

On the gantry above there's a hidden, named boss.

Melikah is a Sith Sorceror. Spams lightning powers to damage and slow you down. Also uses shockwaves to knock you around.

Not much health, so this fight's done quickly.

And you get some decent loot!

: The Empire's not holding back.

: I'm not surprised. They could kill the Republic by destroying this one ship.

: How did they even find out about the meeting?

: The SIS doing another exceptional job at operational security?

: Hostages!

: Should you really be ripping the deck apart below the prisoners?

: Eh, they'll be fine... But maybe a little shook up.

: Shook up. You know, because it's like an earthqua-

: I got it, thanks.

Scattered around the ship are groups of diplomats held prisoner by Imperial troops. Kill the troops, and the hostages can flee. There is absolutely no benefit or reward to doing this.

: There's the terminal that unlocks the command deck. If Nadia was right, then that's where the diplomats are being held.

: You shall not reach the bridge!

: Why didn't you destroy the console then?

: Oh... yeah. Could you just wai-

: oh fiddlesticks

: Collision with Deralia's surface is imminent. Recommend immediate course change to avoid casualties.

: Oh, wonderful. My genius is about to be snuffed out thanks to some Imperial grunt's ham-handed sabotage.

: I can't help but notice the continent outside the window.

: Ramming the ship into a planet... And the Empire's normally such a subtle organisation.

: Isn't that the girl from the holo...?

[VIDEO: I Have You Now, My Pretty]

: Nadia, don't!

: Your father's safe now. I won't let anyone else be harmed.

: No, Jedi. My orders were “no survivors”, and it'll be a pleasure to obey. Your ambassadors will die, and this ship will be destroyed.

: Why didn't you just plant bombs in the ship then, instead of flying it into a planet? It would've been a lot faster.

: Listen to you, with your pathetic Jedi logic. A true Sith knows the best plans involve a lot of pointless complication and collateral damage.

: Who is this Lord Kyrus? Is he the puppet of an ancient ghost? I'm just checking.

: He is a master I'm honored to serve. Hmm. My lord might find the girl an appealing prize of war... once she's incapacitated.

: :gonk:

Arrax is the sort of big dumb brute you'd expect him to be from the preceding dialogue.

His only trick is using Force Choke to incapacitate and damage you occasionally.

: Sayonara, Shoulderpads.

[VIDEO: Countdown to Doomsday] (hey, can you spot Cam Clarke?)

: I'm sorry, Father. I couldn't just hide while you were in danger!

: The Rift Alliance, I presume?

: You-- we'll talk later, Nadia. The planet's looking dreadfully close, and I saw that Sith lock the navigational computer.

: Is there a way to override the Sith's commands, or shut off the engines?

: The crew knew how, but the Sith-- they're all gone.

: That Sith also destroyed the life support and fire control systems. So I hope you have another ship for us to evacuate onto.

: Shush, Blaesus. Jedi...could we overload one of the engines to change course? We'd likely hit Deralia's moon instead, but there'd be time to escape... just.

: I don't want to risk crashing on top of innocent people.

: No, no! The moon is totally lifeless. I'd never suggest it otherwise.

: Wait! We can't do that! If we crash the ship into the moon, it--

: Rude! I want to hear what she has to say. Go ahead, Nadia.

: If the Fortitude crashes into Deralia's moon, it'll change the planet's tides. Whole cities might flood!

: ...How heavy is this ship?

: It's fuelled by dark matter.

: We're all g-g-going to die!

: You'd need to take everyone to the controls, right away. But we could save Deralia, and the moon-- and the ship could be salvaged.

: Without the computer, we could still hit Deralia.

: I can monitor our course from here.

: Which, Jedi? Time's short! Either we steer the ship, or you'll need to crash it into the moon.

: I'll stay here and guide everyone. Even I can miss a planet.

: Take too long. Ship will crash before then.

The choice between crashing or saving the ship isn't much of choice at all. The dialogue suggests saving the ship will require more work- getting the diplomats to the right consoles, coordinating with Nadia, yadda yadda. But both options just require you to run down to engineering and push a button. Perhaps a more detailed quest was removed because of time constraints, or it wasn't MMORPGy enough or whatever. Anyway, saving the ship is LS, smashing it into the moon is DS.

There's the bonus quest for this mission, killing a Sith called Tasandra who's standing in the middle of this room. Tasandra's a Champion Boss, which makes her the strongest enemy we're faced in the story so far. Luckily we have some back-up.

Each of the diplomats we met has a bodyguard present who'll provide some serious fire support.

The actual fight plays out identically to the Melikah battle from earlier- lots and lots of lightening. Tasandra will also kill off the bodyguards during the fight- the purple glow in the background is one of them being lit up.

: None of them made it...

: They were bodyguards, my dear. Dying so more important people don't have to is their job description. Now, could you help me up?

: …Tharan, if we weren't about to crash into a planet I'd be giving you such a lecture right now.

: Engine Control... this is it!

: Activating thrusters...

*RUMBLE*

: Woah!

: Thank the Force I learned astronavigation in diplomacy school... Seriously though, I have no idea what I'm doing.

: Shut up, Duin.

: The blue switch... or the red... gently caress it. Both.

*WHUUUM*

: We did it! The Fortitude's in a safe orbit over Deralia!

: Oh, man... where are we going to put everyone?

: We could use the conference room.

: We have a conference room?

BACK ON THE DEFENDER...

[VIDEO: New Friends!]

: L--looks like we're safe. But, um, what happens now?

: As I understand it, we've been given a Jedi Master to address our every need. Right?

: “Every need” may be a little strong. I'm here to secure your place in the Republic.

: Excellent, excellent. Shall I introduce everyone? First...

This isn't the best introductory scene, as it doesn't really explain why any of these people are important. The Codex entry you get following it is better, and I'll be putting it at the end of the post.

: Yes. Beautiful things. Break easily.

: Yes. I didn't know my rank was common knowledge in the Republic.

: Well, “Revenge of the Plaguemaster” is one of the most popular holos out there at the moment... I have to say, you don't look much like the actress they got to portray you though.

: Wait, wha-

: Next is Shuuru. He's from a water planet called, er...

: Manaan! Good to know my devastated world is so memorable!

: :3:

: And I'm Senator Tobas Grell. My daughter and I are from Sarkhai; we've, ah, only just joined the Republic.

: But we were invited to join this Rift Alliance almost right away. Wasn't that nice?

: Yes... nice. I'd love to hear all about your planet and culture, when we have time.

: Ah, the Republic. Good at words, but nothing else. If you're really here to help us, prove it.

: Alauni, there were good reasons for the Republic to pull out. Even I see that. Although, if you did help free Balmorra, Jedi, you'd certainly prove the Republic isn't a “failure”...

: No simple task, even for a Jedi.

: True, but I've had years to plan.

: Since the occupation, Balmorra's government has been in exile, myself included, and our droid factories are under Imperial control. But, if Balmorra's liberated, I'll see we join the Republic. And bring our droid armies with us.

: The Republic would be honored to have you.

: The Republic actually helping Balmorra? That would be... a start.

: Well, the Fortitude's done for. It seems we're stuck here. At least we can keep an eye on things.

: Yes, that s-sounds like a good idea.

: I'm pretty sure you already have, unless you had your eyes closed walking here from the airlock.

: So, where are your diplomatic quarters?

: I... er... How do you feel about hammocks, ambassador?

: :what:

NEXT TIME: A spoooky adventure for The Q Team.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

The Rift Alliance posted:

The Rift Alliance is a group of powerful worlds united by their shared protests at Republic “incompetence” and their threat to secede. Losing any one of these planets would be a catastrophe for the Republic; losing all of them could cause the Republic’s collapse.

Rift Alliance member Alauni represents Saleucami, the Republic’s most powerful trade hub in the Outer Rim, while Aeten Two–Diab Duin’s world–produces vital ores and crystals for Republic fleet construction. As tensions with the Empire rise, supplies of the healing fluid kolto from Manaan–Shuuru’s world–have become indispensible. The planet Erigorm, represented by Augin Blaesus, has recorded and administrated the Republic’s finances for centuries; its secession could destroy the Republic’s financial markets.

Not all members of the Rift Alliance are hostile toward the Republic, however. Tai Cordan, a member of Balmorra’s exiled government, claims to be seeking powerful allies to help his home. Senator Tobas Grell and his daughter Nadia, newcomers representing the planet Sarkhai, appear to have joined out of curiosity.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They probably don't have to put quotes around the word incompetence in that codex entry, although considering they wouldn't fare much better if the Empire won one may have to question the competence of threatening to secede - and apparently one of the worlds joined out of curiosity?

Still! You saved the ambassadors and didn't slag a huge Republic flagship, so that's good. It might've made the choice more compelling if you had to choose between saving the people on the planet or saving the ship so that it could be used by the fleet - as written, the only reason to crash the ship is it's "safer", but you know you'll never inadvertently kill yourself with a plot choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

They probably don't have to put quotes around the word incompetence in that codex entry, although considering they wouldn't fare much better if the Empire won one may have to question the competence of threatening to secede - and apparently one of the worlds joined out of curiosity?

Also, Manaan and Sullust aren't even in the Republic at the moment. They've been under Imperial occupation for a while now, according to background material.

So yeah. The Rift Alliance seems to consist of three governments in exile and one planet of hapless new guys. Tremble in fear at their secession, Republic.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Don't forget the powerful trade hub that the Empire keeps attacking! :ssh:

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Also, Manaan and Sullust aren't even in the Republic at the moment. They've been under Imperial occupation for a while now, according to background material.
The Sullustan isn't from Sullust, he's representing somewhere called Aetan Two, which is apparently an important source of Magic Crystals.

I dunno about Manaan though. The Codex entry says it's currently supplying kolto to the Republic, so maybe it was only occupied during the last war.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't forget the powerful trade hub that the Empire keeps attacking! :ssh:
Hey, if they seceded then the Empire would leave them alone. Right?

Inferior fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 9, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Insert picture of Mort's "Saleucami Fleet Action Master" achievement here?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Flashpoint – Taral V

The First Expeditionary Fleet, Deep Space, Thursday...

: So, how’s the Jedi life been treating you?

: Saved the Order from extinction by an evil Sith Lord. How about you?

: Same. You’re looking at the Hero of Tython.

: That was you? With Darth Angral and the space microwave and everything?

: Oh, yeah. I’m kind of important now.

: Did… Did the Council make you a Master too?

: No, they… Wait, they promoted you before me? I didn’t even get a lousy pay rise! Did they give you any other rewards?

: Well… I was declared Barsen’thor. I think that’s meant to be important.

: And they made you a Banthasaur as well? :psyboom:

: :sigh:

: Welcome aboard the RSS Telos, ladies.

: Aww, if it isn't my favorite morally ambiguous crook... Who'd you steal that uniform from?

: No-one. You're looking at a newly commissioned officer in the Republic's Corsair Fleet...

: ...I didn't know the war was going so badly.

: Hiya Todessa!

: Hello, sir. Or should you salute me? Never could remember the rank equivalence between Navy and Army.

: I am definitely your superior. The army equivalent rank to a Privateer is “target dummy”.

: So, what's everyone been up to?

: Shooting traitors.

: Killing Sith.

: I was named Barsen'thor!

: ...Is that good?

: Yes!

: Great! That's... super.

: I'll bite. What's a “Barsen'thor”?

: A title made up by the Jedi Council. Means “arse kisser”.

: It does not! It means-- oh, we're here...

: So who’s in charge of this mission?

: Master Oteg. They say he personally defeated over a dozen Sith in the last war.

: The guy must be a hell of a warrior…

Recommended for a vision from the past
Link to the Past

: Before we begin, I’ll ask that you keep an open mind to what you’re about to hear. The source of my information is unconventional.

: Get to the point.

: Patience, young one. Understanding comes only to a clear mind. I will share with all of you what I have seen. Come - stand together. Concentrate with me. Focus your mind. Feel the Force around us. Hear its echoes…

: We look ridiculous.

: We supposed to be seeing something here? The dead shouldn’t be able to speak, much less appear.

: And yet, she does. Her death must have been a terrible thing.

: Yeah, this is no big deal. The ghost of my dead boss is still giving me orders.

: The ghost I met was significantly less friendly.

: Yeah, I don’t think I’d like my “mentor” coming back to haunt me either.

: The prisoner holds the darkness at bay, lost inside it for three hundred years. His strength will fail. Then, he will become the darkness.

: Our team will free your friend, no matter what it takes. That’s a promise.

: Don't make promises to the dead, Quinine. They never end well.

: The only way to navigate the Maelstrom Nebula is using a Gree computer hidden at an Imperial fortress. We need that computer to free the Jedi prisoner.

: That’s what I do best.

: Besides eating and crying.

: The fortress we’re invading is on the planet Taral Five. Enemy territory, protected by Imperial warships. Too many to fight. But we have a captured Imperial shuttle that can sneak past the sentries. It’s waiting for you in the hangar.

: You’re a powerful Jedi Master. Shouldn’t you be a part of this?

: …Besides, one Jedi Master should be plenty.

: :smug:

: :argh:

: Our fleet will hide at the system’s edge so I can monitor your mission and guide you. If something goes wrong, we’ll come running.

SWTOR Codex posted:

The Jedi Entity
The Jedi Code teaches “there is no death; there is the Force.” Some powerful Force-sensitives emerge from nothingness after their demise, appearing as ghostly figures that can communicate with the living. Among the Sith, such apparitions are fearsome spirits who refuse to accept their natural end; their peaceful Jedi counterparts are rare, reluctantly deferring their rest and reaching out to the living only when dreadful events are imminent. The Jedi entity’s warnings, therefore, are taken very seriously by the Jedi Order.

Master Oteg has tried to discover the Jedi entity’s name during their conversations, but her answers have been cryptic at best; clearly she views the freeing of her imprisoned ally to be more important than filling gaps in the Jedi Archives. The Jedi entity’s manner of speaking and some of her references to historical events, however, suggest that she served as a general in the Jedi Civil War. When asked how she came to die, the Jedi entity’s response has been blunt, saying only: “The betrayer always strikes with the best of intentions.”
Briefing Room #7, RSS Telos...

: Alright, let's prepare for the op. We'll be coming down in a clearing 3 klicks south of a guard outpo-

: Woah, woah, woah. When did we suddenly turn professional in this outfit?

: We're not chasing down gangs anymore. Taral V is an Imperial world, there will be heavy resistance, and we will need a solid strategy to survive. Understood?

: Let's not forget we're invading this world because a ghost said we should. What makes you think that boring military strategy will be useful?

: ...Shut up, Blue. Any other questions?

: Um... Who is the droid, and why is he staring at me?

: That's M1. He's here because he... really likes briefings. Don't ask.

: A briefing a day keeps the Imperial scum away! Sir!

: Right, so we land here... and move up the valley... then take out the communications system at this guard post. Should be a clear run from there into the base's back gates, assuming they don't blow the bridge here.

: The Fleet will stay in the outer system, jumping into orbit only when we're ready to exfil.

: Wait, I'm lost. Are we the red hexagons or the yellow ones?

: I'm also lost. Do you have the briefing available in braille?

: ...Just follow my lead and try not to get shot.

: We've arrived. Get your team to the shuttle for departure now.

: It's go time, Q Team!

: :ughh:

: So, now that we’re locked into a long shuttle-ride, did you do something new with your hair?

: Yes, actually!

: It’s cute. I like it when you let your hair down.

: ...Thanks?

: Trainwreck incoming.

: It’s good to cut loose a little every once in a while, sweetheart. If you’re looking to unwind after the mission today, I know a decent cantina on Coruscant. Hardly any blaster fire.

: Uhhhh… oh, you never said what you’ve been up to since Tatooine! Why don’t you tell us a few of your spacer stories?

: Ugh nooooo. It’s like two voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

: Well! Lucky for you girls, I keep a lot of notes. Let me see where I left off last time…

: …and when they built those roads they had no thought of drainage in mind, so we had to take a special speeder up to the main street. In fact, we were lucky to even get a speeder since just the day before the only one we had broke down, had a bad motiv-

: Nzzzgrglezzz- hurk! I’m awake, I’m awake! Are we here?

: Yeah, thank the Force.

: Everyone remember where we parked.

: Cheery.

: Now you know why so many Imperials defect.

: Keep your eyes peeled. We need to be stealthy if we don't want the entire base coming down on us.

: A shuttle!

: Probably got them patrolling the perimeter. OK... stay low and make as little noise as possible.

: She's flying very close to those cliffs... Doesn't seem-

*BOOOM!*

: !!!

*CREEEAAAAK!*

*SMAAAAASH!*

: What the hell was tha-! Hey, who are those guys!?

: :cripes:

: I'd just like to go on record as saying that had absolutely nothing to do with me. Unfortunately.

: To hell with it. We're terrible at stealth anyway.

: Guys... I don't think the Imperials were the only things that explosion woke up.

: Suck it, you stupidly named son of a bitch.

: Eesh. These things smell even worse dead.

: Come on. Guard post should be just up ahead.

: See? Told you.

: So long as we don’t run into any more patrols this should be-

: Intruders! Get them, my pretties!

: I prefer dogs, anyway.

: We figured.

: :iceburn:

: Watch your head R’andayn, the guard droid’s coming down.

: Ooh, an entire base full of people I’m allowed to kill… Great, I’ve some anger management issues to work off.

: Wait, don’t rush in! I’ve got an idea.

: We don't need a frontal assault. I can infiltrate, take down the comm tower, and be out before the Imperials know any different.

: Sounds like a plan.

: ...Go for it.

: Good luck!

: You... like one of my plans?

: Sure, whatever.

: :swoon:

: Do you think he'll be okay?

: No.

: Nah.

: :ohdear:

: OK... Standard prefab base layout...

: That ugly bastard must be the commander.

: I can see you, you know.

: Er... I'm from Maintenance. There's been a… um... slight... weapons malfunction.

: ...Oh dear. I suppose I should call HQ for support.

: Oh, no, no. Everything's perfectly alright now. We're all fine here now... How are you?

Later...

: :golfclap:

: I'm glad you find this funny.

: This is why we don't listen to your plans.

: Get up, and let's go kill the Commander.

: Ha! Got you and your stupid pet monster.

: Look for the communications panel. We need to synch up with the fleet.

: I’m going to guess it’s the one beeping like crazy over there?

: I’m here. What do you need?

: Our data slicers are quietly shutting down the Empire’s security grid. The enemy’s in for an unpleasant surprise.

: :flaccid:

: What is this thing, “subtlety”?

: How fast will those ships in orbit respond once they hear what’s happening at the fortress?

: The sentry ships aren’t prepared for a ground invasion. They shouldn’t be a factor.

: Famous last words.

: I’m sending coordinates for the fortress. The Gree computer is amazingly compact. You’ll have no trouble carrying it out.

: A rain of fire is coming. The Scarred Man's hatred burns everything.

: Anyone else hear that?

: Hear what?

: ...Never mind.

: Jetpack troopers!

: Wheeeee!

: :D Did you see that?! I hit the barrel and it knocked two of them right off!

: If only we had some way to keep from hitting the groooooooooooouuuuund!

: There's the base. The Gree computer should be inside.

: They're ready for us. This is not going to be easy.

: Good.

To be continued…

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's a good thing none of these guards are equipped with, like, a walkie-talkie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Dolash posted:

: …Besides, one Jedi Master should be plenty.

: :smug:

: :argh:

:iceburn:

Love how the "Hero of Tython" and "Jedi Master Barsen'thor McAwesome" interacted, though to be fair if I was the Jedi Council I'd sure as hell promote the nice obedient Jedi over the murderous psychotic anyway.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's a good thing none of these guards are equipped with, like, a walkie-talkie.

Given enemies in this game seem incapable of saying anything more than incoherent yelling upon entering combat, I doubt walkie-talkies would help much ("Are you actually under attack or did you just stub your toe?... OK, one RAAAAAGH for under attack, two RAAAAAGH for toe stubbing?...").

• Locked thread