Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Internet Friend posted:

Maybe the demo is an older version because peaceful mode has been an option in freeplay mode for a while.

I'm not sure if freeplay was available in the demo. It was a campaign where it showed you how to build things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I'm looking for recent games, like the last year or so, with a good story. Preferably on PC but 360/PS3/WiiU are okay too. Gameplay type doesn't matter much so long as it's fun, but I am rear end at strategy/tactics games (which is ironic considering I loved FFT--but again, story). Not picky about setting either, but I like sci-fi mostly.

(Also since a friend mentioned them to me, the Amnesia games are right the hell out. :cry:)

(ed: because I just remembered it, Shadowrun Returns has already been played, too)

If you happen to have a 3DS or Vita then I'd recommend Virtue's Last Reward (which came out about a year ago) which can be downloaded form the Nintendo eShop or PSN Store. The story focuses on 9 characters who were kidnapped and trapped in a facility that are being forced to play a game to earn their escape while solving a number of mysteries and clever puzzles. Basically the gameplay consists of visual novel segments, puzzle rooms, and choosing whether to partner or betray opponents in a prisoner's dilemma style situation. This creates an interesting branching story which the game accounts for by allowing you to instantaneously jump between story lines and decision points at any time you want. However, you may want to read the Let's Play of 999 here (http://lparchive.org/999-Nine-Hours-Nine-Persons-Nine-Doors/) prior to purchasing it.

Also Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut came out on Steam recently. Great story if you're particular to characterization and the setting. It's basically Twin Peaks: The Game.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I would like to play a game with a prehistoric setting. Like way prehistoric, like pretetrapod and possibly preterrestrial flora and fauna.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

exotarih posted:

I'm looking for a game with a very complex crafting system, irrespective of what exactly it is that is crafted (armours, weapons, tools, items, etc.). Ideally with many, many different materials, upgrade possibilities and so on. I greatly enjoyed the crafting in the Rune Factory games (as such, I'm totally fine with grinding) and heard that Vagrant Story (PSX/PSN) is supposed to have a very rich and rewarding crafting component. Are there any other recommendations?

Terraria
The Witcher series
Gothic series
Risen

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Laughing_Stock posted:

If you happen to have a 3DS or Vita then I'd recommend Virtue's Last Reward (which came out about a year ago) which can be downloaded form the Nintendo eShop or PSN Store. The story focuses on 9 characters who were kidnapped and trapped in a facility that are being forced to play a game to earn their escape while solving a number of mysteries and clever puzzles. Basically the gameplay consists of visual novel segments, puzzle rooms, and choosing whether to partner or betray opponents in a prisoner's dilemma style situation. This creates an interesting branching story which the game accounts for by allowing you to instantaneously jump between story lines and decision points at any time you want. However, you may want to read the Let's Play of 999 here (http://lparchive.org/999-Nine-Hours-Nine-Persons-Nine-Doors/) prior to purchasing it.

You should just buy 999 as well as Virtue's Last Reward, as it's still readily available and a good game in its own right.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I need to find something that I can sink a lot of time into, I've been having a lot of trouble finding anything that doesn't bore me to tears, story/dialogue in games lately tends to turn me off really fast.

In the past couple months the only games that have interested me enough to completion have been dragon's dogma, shadow of the colossus and gorky 17, I've spent tons of time on minecraft, terraria, dwarf fortress, the X series and I'm pretty much done with them for now. I've also reached end game in FFXIV and I can't play it daily anymore.

I've tried playing skyrim and I want to get in to it but there is just something about it that makes it really boring for me, i've also played fallout new vegas, saints row 4, gta 5 and couldn't really get into them. I have played tons of different roguelikes.

I'm looking for either a really deep game like dwarf fortress I can spend a lot of time in or a fairly long game with an end to play through. If there was a mud or some kind of single player game with the same detail in combat as dwarf fortress adventure mode (targeting limbs, blood loss, dismemberment and such) that would be amazing. Being able to play with other people is a plus but isn't needed.

E: I have a PS3, Vita and PC

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 3, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Lunimeow posted:

I need to find something that I can sink a lot of time into, I've been having a lot of trouble finding anything that doesn't bore me to tears, story/dialogue in games lately tends to turn me off really fast.

In the past couple months the only games that have interested me enough to completion have been dragon's dogma, shadow of the colossus and gorky 17, I've spent tons of time on minecraft, terraria, dwarf fortress, the X series and I'm pretty much done with them for now. I've also reached end game in FFXIV and I can't play it daily anymore.

I've tried playing skyrim and I want to get in to it but there is just something about it that makes it really boring for me, i've also played fallout new vegas, saints row 4, gta 5 and couldn't really get into them. I have played tons of different roguelikes.

I'm looking for either a really deep game like dwarf fortress I can spend a lot of time in or a fairly long game with an end to play through. If there was a mud or some kind of single player game with the same detail in combat as dwarf fortress adventure mode (targeting limbs, blood loss, dismemberment and such) that would be amazing. Being able to play with other people is a plus but isn't needed.

Have you played any of the Monster Hunter games?

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Sizone posted:

I would like to play a game with a prehistoric setting. Like way prehistoric, like pretetrapod and possibly preterrestrial flora and fauna.

The game I immediately thought of is Spore but obviously that game is a bit hit-or-miss.

Check out Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. Not pre-tetrapod, or a particularly good management sim, but there is a surprising amount of detail in how they've modelled the ecosystem. There's also a "Site B" mode where you can just gently caress around with plants and animals outside the constraints of the main game.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.

MrBims posted:

Have you played any of the Monster Hunter games?

I played a bunch of mhfu and I played a bunch of 3 ultimate well visiting friends recently but I don't have a WiiU or a 3ds, I was really hoping one would come out on the ps3. I really like the monster hunter games though.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Lunimeow posted:

Well it's not like anything you've been playing but the Civilization or Total War series are fantastic time sinks. As I'm sure you know though they are turn based so definitely a change of pace from what you're used to.

Also if your up for a subscription based game again you may look into Eve: online. It's extremely deep and has such a variety of things to do it really is fantastic. SA also has a massive group of guys to play with if your looking for that. I think when I stopped playing a few weeks ago there were around 3000 members in the SA corporation. This is based off your experience with the X series.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.

CMvan46 posted:

Well it's not like anything you've been playing but the Civilization or Total War series are fantastic time sinks. As I'm sure you know though they are turn based so definitely a change of pace from what you're used to.

Also if your up for a subscription based game again you may look into Eve: online. It's extremely deep and has such a variety of things to do it really is fantastic. SA also has a massive group of guys to play with if your looking for that. I think when I stopped playing a few weeks ago there were around 3000 members in the SA corporation. This is based off your experience with the X series.

Hmm I haven't played a Civ game in forever, I might have to give the new one a try. I remember trying a total war game a while ago and not being able to get in to it, which one do you think is best to get started with (or just best to play in general)

Oohh... If I had more money I would totally get back into EVE I totally forgot about that..
One of the games I have been waiting for is x rebirth and thats coming out in like a week now. Also waiting for starbound beta!

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Lunimeow posted:

Hmm I haven't played a Civ game in forever, I might have to give the new one a try. I remember trying a total war game a while ago and not being able to get in to it, which one do you think is best to get started with (or just best to play in general)

For total war if your wanting to try one out again I'd say the original Rome one which goes on sale consistently for less than $5. It's usually in the discussion for best gameplay of the series.

For one with good gameplay and good graphics I'd say Shogun 2 would be you're best bet. Which at high settings really does look incredible.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Any recommendations for a roguelike co-op game? I love the random events of FTL and the world exploration and interactiveness of Cataclysm. Would like a world where my friends and I need to build/maintain a fortress/stronghold/ship against an AI or player antagonist. Space Station 13 is a great example but the learning curve and BYOND client are a real kick in the balls.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lunimeow posted:

E: I have a PS3, Vita and PC
Obligatory Dark Souls recommendation.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I think I've dried the well in regards to RPGs with some emphasis on dialogue choices. Here are some of the ones I've finished:

Deus Ex Series
Mass Effect Series
Vampire: The Masquerade
Jade Empire
KOTOR Series
Fallout Series
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
Alpha Protocol
Dragon Age Series

Anything I'm missing?

Edit: Arcanum, too. God, I play too many video games.

Divinity 2 - whichever the latest and greatest edition of it is. It's a fun game as is, with great dialogue choices that sometimes let you flat out troll the NPCs.
Risen is also pretty decent as far as quest choices.
Seconding the NWN suggestion if you haven't played them. The original is kind of blah, but Hordes of the Underdark expansion is amazing (you get to start with the character levels that other AD&D campaigns finish at). NWN2 campaigns are improved from the original, too, though HOTU remains my favorite.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 4, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Bishyaler posted:

Any recommendations for a roguelike co-op game? I love the random events of FTL and the world exploration and interactiveness of Cataclysm. Would like a world where my friends and I need to build/maintain a fortress/stronghold/ship against an AI or player antagonist. Space Station 13 is a great example but the learning curve and BYOND client are a real kick in the balls.

Terraria might work. Fortress building, and Mediumcore (Minecraft-like drop items) or Hardcore (dead character) for Roguelikeishness, though it's more of a long-term game as compared to FTL/SS13/Cata one-hour-sitting games.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I was about to buy Kingdoms of Amalur and got talked out of it because it's apparently 50 hours long without and interesting story or item/skill progression to keep you interested.

Any alternatives? I know that it might not be kosher to say it, but I'd rather they fall on the easier side but still make me feel like a badass (I like to think that when I slashed all those enemies to pieces it was because I'm super good at the game when in reality it's just that the game did most of it for me. Basically, no Dark Souls, please).

I basically loved Fable and really wish that Microsoft had released Fable II on PC.

Oh, yeah, PC only.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fable 3 is on PC.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Really Pants posted:

Fable 3 is on PC.

Don't buy Fable 3. It is easily the worst of the 3 Fable games.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Cantorsdust posted:

Don't buy Fable 3. It is easily the worst of the 3 Fable games.

Is it straight up boring, or just simple?

I'm fine with simple gameplay,

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is it straight up boring, or just simple?

I'm fine with simple gameplay,

The focus very much shifted from even a limited open world adventure to a more linear Peter Molyneux style story with forced, obvious "good/bad" binary choices. Combat is drastically simplified, and the penalty for dying is literally, "you immediately spring back to life, and maybe get a cosmetic scar which can be removed later by buying a potion." The big moral point the story tries to make is negated by grinding for money. At the same time, the chances for combat have decreased, so money grinding is almost entirely focused on buying and managing property and doing the minigame jobs.

I loved Fable 1 and 2, and I barely forced myself to play through Fable 3 once. I failed to replay it a second time.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Cantorsdust posted:

The focus very much shifted from even a limited open world adventure to a more linear Peter Molyneux style story with forced, obvious "good/bad" binary choices. Combat is drastically simplified, and the penalty for dying is literally, "you immediately spring back to life, and maybe get a cosmetic scar which can be removed later by buying a potion." The big moral point the story tries to make is negated by grinding for money. At the same time, the chances for combat have decreased, so money grinding is almost entirely focused on buying and managing property and doing the minigame jobs.

I loved Fable 1 and 2, and I barely forced myself to play through Fable 3 once. I failed to replay it a second time.

Ah, ok. I'll give it a pass then :/

Any Fable-like alternatives, then?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Ah, ok. I'll give it a pass then :/

Any Fable-like alternatives, then?

I assume by Fable-like you mean at least somewhat open-world RPG with at least some semblance of a story (so not Diablo or Torchlight).

Kingdoms of Amalur isn't terrible. I played through the end of it and had an ok time. It's got a decent crafting system and ok combat, but its story is as nonexistent as any MMO (since that what it was originally developed as). Obviously The Elder Scrolls series. Skyrim being most modern with good combat and ok story, Oblivion having ok combat and mediocre story, and Morrowind having poor combat but one of the best settings and stories of any fantasy game. The Witcher 2 has great combat and story, but a not-so-open world. Witcher 1 has a decent story but poorer combat. Gothic 3 and the Risen series are some German RPGs that are pretty tough at the beginning but definitely give that progression to demigod by the end. Two Worlds is seriously flawed, but is a cult favorite for the cheesy story/voiceacting and the powergaming you can do in it (weapons can be combined to give a better weapon, so by the end of the game you're running around with 40 clubs taped together).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

The big moral point the story tries to make is negated by grinding for money.

This part's great, though! The game keeps trying to force you into ham-fisted bullshit like "You can only save one, Your Majesty: the tank factory, or the puppy orphanage" and you get to go "HAHA gently caress YOU I WIN ANYWAY BECAUSE I LITERALLY OWN THE WORLD"

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Really Pants posted:

This part's great, though! The game keeps trying to force you into ham-fisted bullshit like "You can only save one, Your Majesty: the tank factory, or the puppy orphanage" and you get to go "HAHA gently caress YOU I WIN ANYWAY BECAUSE I LITERALLY OWN THE WORLD"

This is almost literally the level of "moral dilemma" you encounter in Fable 3. Every moral decision has you either press X (which is on your right side with a white halo) or Y or A or something (on your left with flames). And all the decisions are almost literally "pet the puppy or SHOOT THE PUPPY."

It's really bad.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah, the treasury mechanic is probably not an intentional send-up of stupid moral-choice systems in video games, but I still got a kick out of it.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

I was about to buy Kingdoms of Amalur and got talked out of it because it's apparently 50 hours long without and interesting story or item/skill progression to keep you interested.

Any alternatives? I know that it might not be kosher to say it, but I'd rather they fall on the easier side but still make me feel like a badass (I like to think that when I slashed all those enemies to pieces it was because I'm super good at the game when in reality it's just that the game did most of it for me. Basically, no Dark Souls, please).

I basically loved Fable and really wish that Microsoft had released Fable II on PC.

Oh, yeah, PC only.

So, you won't buy Kingdoms of Amalur, even though it falls on the easier side and will still make you feel like a badass? If you want a generic looking MMO-ish game with such a bland, retarded story that you don't even have to bother to pay attention to it, KoA is up your alley. Seriously, the game is easy as hell (even on the hard setting) so after you're about 2/3 through the game you'll probably have had enough but you'll get what you want. I kind of liked it but I wish it had more depth and was harder. But it definitely will make you feel like a badass.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Oh, yeah, PC only.

Honestly reading your other posts I think Reckoning IS what you want.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Honestly reading your other posts I think Reckoning IS what you want.

Reading back on my post I can see that I wasn't very clear. I meant to ask if there are any KoA-like games that don't have a boring story/bad item progression.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Anyone know of any good online golf games, aside from Pangya and Hotshots/Everybody's Golf? PC/console/handheld is fine, but preferably not PS3.. also if it had character customisation that'd be great.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's a really good recent JRPG? Possibly open-ended, one that encourages/facilitates grinding and min-maxing up to making your character completely broken (think say, all the work to get KotR on FF7, or leveling insane job/skill combinations on FFT).

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

canepazzo posted:

What's a really good recent JRPG? Possibly open-ended, one that encourages/facilitates grinding and min-maxing up to making your character completely broken (think say, all the work to get KotR on FF7, or leveling insane job/skill combinations on FFT).

The Persona games are pretty much the pinnacle of JRPG games. At least in that style. That's for story/gameplay though.' With that Xenoblade game being a very strong contender.

If you just want a japanese rpg game to break over your knees, the Disgaea series is what you are looking for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leper Residue posted:

The Persona games are pretty much the pinnacle of JRPG games. At least in that style. That's for story/gameplay though.' With that Xenoblade game being a very strong contender.

If you just want a japanese rpg game to break over your knees, the Disgaea series is what you are looking for.

Regarding Persona games, go for Persona 3 FES/Portable, or Persona 4/4: The Golden. They have great stories (Persona 4's the better of the two, but 3's has its moments), and good gameplay that rewards learning how to abuse status effects and elemental weaknesses.

If you have a PS3, Valkyria Chronicles is a great strategy RPG that's well worth your time. Squad composition can get insanely complex if you want it to, as each individual unit has their own personality and associated buffs/debuffs. Some might get an aim penalty while standing in long grass because they have allergies, others might get a general stat debuff when around other friendly units because they prefer going off on their own (along with an attack buff when they're nowhere near friendly units). It also has the best cameo in the form of Vyse, Aika and Fina from Skies of Arcadia as usable soldiers :allears:. Don't get Valkyria Chronices II on the PSP though. That way only lies disappointment.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good pool/snooker game? I just find the game so soothing to play, I feel like it would be nice to be able to sit back and try and work out some angles and stuff after a stressful day at work.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

willus posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good pool/snooker game? I just find the game so soothing to play, I feel like it would be nice to be able to sit back and try and work out some angles and stuff after a stressful day at work.

I recommended Virtual Pool 4 a few pages ago: http://vponline.celeris.com/vp4offprod

There are other more arcadey options out there, but VP4 is just pure pool.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I am really into games now that have 1) a reasonable but very tough difficulty level/curve, and 2) a huge amount of variety in how you can play the game. Story isn't important, but the world needs to be at least pretty cool (meaning no anime crap or half-naked girls running around for no reason).

The past two games I bought, beat, and then played a LOT more were Dark Souls and Rogue Legacy. What else is in that vein? Preferably on Steam?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You might like Dungeons of Dredmor. It's a pretty accessible (but by no means easy) roguelike with a good variety of character building options (and DLC that adds even more.)It's a game where death will happen. A lot. And you'll start completely from scratch but keep going.

Hotline Miama is also a strong recommendation. I can't really describe it to you except that it's incredibly brutal and trippy.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

I am really into games now that have 1) a reasonable but very tough difficulty level/curve, and 2) a huge amount of variety in how you can play the game. Story isn't important, but the world needs to be at least pretty cool (meaning no anime crap or half-naked girls running around for no reason).

The past two games I bought, beat, and then played a LOT more were Dark Souls and Rogue Legacy. What else is in that vein? Preferably on Steam?

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. You can play a straight up minotaur fighter, an orc messiah with a band of followers, a naga that uses time against its enemies, a jelly worshipper that constantly mutates itself, etc etc. It's free: http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

joshtothemaxx posted:

FTL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
I was wondering if there are any games like Soul Calibur III's Chronicles of the Sword mode, ie. a mixture of strategy and fighting game.