Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Roadtrip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arkmedes
Jun 24, 2009
Show rules.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
:tviv: this episode, that preview, How how does each week get better!

Deadshot, Russians!, More island goodness!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

VBane posted:

I love it so much that her base is out of a Clocktower.

For those unfamiliar, the Gotham Clocktower for awhile served as the base of operations of Black Canary, Batgirl/Oracle and The Huntress when they were the Birds of Prey.

...a sad little part of me wants "All The Things She Said" to start playing during the inevitable fight scene there.

For how utterly bad that show was, that final fight scene was pretty drat awesome.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kda9_RDHwM4

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 7, 2013

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

For how utterly bad that show was, that final fight scene was pretty drat awesome.

Yeah, that scenes always stuck with me. And every time I see it am surprised all over again to see Morgan from Criminal Minds in it :p

Sad that's the only Live Action Harley we've ever really gotten.

Still, show had a few moments.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Deakul posted:

You need to be aware of your surroundings. :smug:

Pretty nice line.

I was expecting a little more progress on island(boat?) backstory, but apparently all we got was catching up a bit with Sarah's old timeline. Still, assassin fight scenes were pretty solid.

And yeah, the little handhold thing at the end of the previous episode clearly wasn't an indication that she was going to tell her family. She only told her dad when there was basically no alternative.

Why did the League leave a knife in Laurel's room if they were planning on going after her dad? I'll admit the CGI when Ollie pulled it out of the wall was very nice (the faint dust cloud was perfect, albeit probably completely unrealistic), but it seemed kind of weird to go through the trouble of leaving a knife there and then leaving to go find dad.

Laurel still being useless and now addicted to prescription drugs. Does she have any redeeming qualities?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Deakul posted:

So I guess every character with a color in their name will get that color dropped? :negative:

I interpreted it differently. She's "Canary" which still leaves room for Laurel to become "Black Canary"!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Laurel is not to terrible, but seriously she is not as good as the actress that plays Canary right now. It's going to suck to have her as Black Canary in the show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Caity Lotz and Paul Blackthorne are absolutely fantastic. Their poo poo wrecked me. Can we please just get some twist where Laurel dies and Sarah is forced to assume her identity because drat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

qbert posted:

I interpreted it differently. She's "Canary" which still leaves room for Laurel to become "Black Canary"!

I'm kind of expecting that to happen with Oliver, actually. Have the League send a bunch of copycat archers so the media/cops need to differentiate the real 'Arrow' from the fakes, maybe by the colour of his fletching and outfit?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Or Laurel dies and she starts calling herself Black Canary. Cause that's what I am hoping for.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The actresses just change characters and no one mentions anything. Then Laurel(played by Lotz) can become Black Canary.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

If there's one thing I'm disappointed about with this episode its Al Owal dying so quickly, I would've liked seeing the guy who trained Merlyn to be a much more recurring character

Otherwise that was pretty awesome.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
This show is everything I could want a superhero show to be and so much more. This show has had momentum building since about halfway through season one and it still hasn't stopped.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

If there's one thing I'm disappointed about with this episode its Al Owal dying so quickly, I would've liked seeing the guy who trained Merlyn to be a much more recurring character

Otherwise that was pretty awesome.

I'm really hoping that he's alive. His name means The First. So he's either Ra's in disguise or Ra's right-hand man. Either way, it seems like a really powerful actor to waste on a short one-off.

Also, I'm betting the child of Ra's mentioned isn't Talia but Nyssa.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 7, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ that episode. Anyone remember the Lost threads and everybody was always "This loving show"?

This loving show.

We need an Arrow emoticon.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

WarLocke posted:

Yikes, that's Power Rangers levels of cheese.
I think I'll pass on ever checking that out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Paul Blackthorne is such a beast of an actor. It's great seeing him in a show where he can cut loose. Also I yelled and scared my cat when Ivo revealed his identity. Genetic engineering in the DC Universe always goes back to Ivo, Jason Woodrue, or Project Cadmus.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Deakul posted:

Yeah, it's pretty bad. But that's what we had as far as superhero shows went back then. That and the Lou Ferrigno Hulk and the Flash show in the 90s...

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

We need an Arrow emoticon.

It should be :tviv: but with an arrow coming out the TV.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

UberAaron posted:

It should be :tviv: but with abs coming out the TV.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Small thing, Caity Lotz's line in Mandarin was so much better than Amell's from last season (As in, I could actually tell what she was saying).

I'm pretty much already a huge Caity Lotz fan. Moar please.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

UberAaron posted:

It should be :tviv: but with an arrow coming out the TV.

A rope arrow followed by Ollie flying out of the TV and past the seat. If only you could make something that recognizable with the 10 pixels you'd have to work with.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I didn't keep up with the thread during the episode tonight so it's probably already been discussed, but was the name on the side of the ship Amazo?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

kdrudy posted:

I didn't keep up with the thread during the episode tonight so it's probably already been discussed, but was the name on the side of the ship Amazo?

Yup

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Merlinicus posted:

Pretty nice line.

I was expecting a little more progress on island(boat?) backstory, but apparently all we got was catching up a bit with Sarah's old timeline. Still, assassin fight scenes were pretty solid.

And yeah, the little handhold thing at the end of the previous episode clearly wasn't an indication that she was going to tell her family. She only told her dad when there was basically no alternative.

Why did the League leave a knife in Laurel's room if they were planning on going after her dad? I'll admit the CGI when Ollie pulled it out of the wall was very nice (the faint dust cloud was perfect, albeit probably completely unrealistic), but it seemed kind of weird to go through the trouble of leaving a knife there and then leaving to go find dad.

Laurel still being useless and now addicted to prescription drugs. Does she have any redeeming qualities?
I feel like we won't see much of Sarah on the Amazo, or we will until they anchor back onto Lian Yu and then Ollie, Shado and Slade engineer some breakout, sink the ship and kill everyone, and she gets whisked away by the League somehow. Then I dunno, I feel like for Sarah they will just not show the four years in the LoA, since it seems this will be the only time she and Ollie will cross paths until present day.

I wonder where she's off to now, I can only assume she's leaving Starling City for a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holy loving rear end crackers, I missed that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

I wonder where she's off to now, I can only assume she's leaving Starling City for a bit.

Nah, she's just gonna move into the other clocktower. She'll be alright.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She'll move to Gotham and start the Green Arrow Ex Girlfriends Clocktower Club

Seriously though :asoiaf: Caity Lotz has become my number 1 girl crush.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Please kill Laurel, she gets worse every episode. The only thing marring this otherwise perfect show!

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

VDay posted:

A rope arrow followed by Ollie flying out of the TV and past the seat. If only you could make something that recognizable with the 10 pixels you'd have to work with.

This was the best I could do, I had to slow it down slightly just to make it visible and even then I'm not sure how apparent it is.

I also considered one where the TV was replaced by Black Canary shrieking at the viewer but that'll have to wait for another day.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm a little bummed she's leaving the city for a bit, their scenes together are usually pretty excellent.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

WarLocke posted:

That may be the least awesome thing I've ever seen, and I've seen swap.avi. Watching that clip was vicariously humiliating. The special effects, the music, the acting, the stunts. Jesus Christ.

Deakul posted:

:doh::hf::barf:

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

I'm a little bummed she's leaving the city for a bit, their scenes together are usually pretty excellent.

We'll get her in the island flashbacks at least.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
It seems fairly clear to me that Sarah inherited her father's awesomeness genes and Laurel inherited her mother's lameness genes.

I've been cutting Laurel a lot of slack for basically this whole time because she is playing the same role as Lana on Smallville, and Lana on Smallville was one of the worst TV anchors in history and Laurel is much better than her at least. But now that the rest of the show has elevated itself so much and is so clearly in a different stratosphere than Smallville Laurel's lameness seriously sticks out like a sore thumb. The moment she showed up as part of the team to prosecute Moira I was like "JESUS, Laurel, you are just the worst." And her sister's awesomeness really makes her look terrible in contrast as well.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Yeah, Laurel's never really clicked with me. A big part of it is because the actor's so rubbish but I also have a problem with the stuff she's given to work with. You'd think there'd be a lot of interesting lawyering to be done on this show but with Laurel it's all soap opera love/sex/daddy/love/grief/drink/drugs stupidity. Just give her a meaty plot line!

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Coq au Nandos posted:

Yeah, Laurel's never really clicked with me. A big part of it is because the actor's so rubbish but I also have a problem with the stuff she's given to work with. You'd think there'd be a lot of interesting lawyering to be done on this show but with Laurel it's all soap opera love/sex/daddy/love/grief/drink/drugs stupidity. Just give her a meaty plot line!

As a Lawyer, Laurel's work would need to involve digging up the dirt on the perps and nailing them in court, but the show's focus is purely on beating up the criminals and handing them to the authorities/killing them so the bulk of her work is sidelined by nature. And since most of the villains are one and dones for the episodes Laurel can't even use her lawyering skills for a seasonal arc either. Putting Laurel onto the Moira Queen case would've been a smart move as it would give her a main plot line but instead it just puts her at odds with the main cast, as if she doesn't have enough reasons to be at odds with them.

By nature her career is too unimportant in the show's structure to be an actual thing. And as a result she's basically just relegated to being part of the soapy plotlines instead. Thea used to be just as annoying for the same reason until she got paired off with Roy and Roy ended up having some cool vigilante plotlines to keep the two of them busy.

I honestly don't know how Laurel can be worked into vigilante plotlines without just making her Black Canary and dropping Sarah (which I, like many others, really don't want).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I like Laurel and Katie Cassidey but the writers are kinda lost on what to do with her it seems. She really isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She was fine in the first season when she was a potential love interest but they seem to have decided to kill that plot off completely.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The problem with Laurel is that she mainly exists to get angry at people or have to be rescued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

The problem with Laurel is that she mainly exists to get angry at people or have to be rescued.

This certainly seemed to be the case last year, this year she exists to have her life turn to poo poo while superheros are fighting the League of Assassins.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just give her a meaty plot line!

This. Thea was super annoying for chunks of last season as well, and now she has her role in the story. The writers are deliberately writing Laurel out of all the exciting poo poo that's going on, and having her hit her low point. I'm guessing its supposed to be a trial of her character, hit her low point, and somehow miraculously in the next season or two come out of it wiser and stronger as the Canary. But both the writers and Katie Cassidy are gonna have to step their game up.

• Locked thread