Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Speaking of FairFight, did every server disable it? I imagine they could be putting out a patch, or something, but the downtime is odd.

EDIT: If, during gameplay, my screen goes pitch black and I get the three BF4 loading bars on the top right, does that mean a server crash, or a client crash?

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Olive Branch posted:

Speaking of FairFight, did every server disable it? I imagine they could be putting out a patch, or something, but the downtime is odd.

EDIT: If, during gameplay, my screen goes pitch black and I get the three BF4 loading bars on the top right, does that mean a server crash, or a client crash?

If your screen goes black and you get the loading bars, that's a server crash. If you let it go all the way through, you should get kicked out to Battlelog with the error that you have timed out or disconnected from the server.

I was playing on a server that died when I had like 10+ melee kills yesterday. :(

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jalapeno0 posted:

Just FYI this driver is from 10/28.

Not on my PC to tell but I'm seeing a release date of 11/7 on those drivers and the notes mention CoD:Ghosts which wasn't out on 10/28

Edit: Also 780ti support which just came out this week

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 7, 2013

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

Jalapeno0 posted:

Just FYI this driver is from 10/28.

That driver now says it was released on 11/7, which is the same one from 10/28.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly

VeggieSmuggler posted:

That driver now says it was released on 11/7, which is the same one from 10/28.

Yeah, those "should" be the same and they're crash-prone as all hell on my 580GTX at least. Still, going to give them a try later on and see if there's any difference to be had.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

OGS-Remix posted:

If your screen goes black and you get the loading bars, that's a server crash. If you let it go all the way through, you should get kicked out to Battlelog with the error that you have timed out or disconnected from the server.

I was playing on a server that died when I had like 10+ melee kills yesterday. :(

That doesn't necessarily means a server crash, though. It could just be a regular connection timeout, which won't make you lose your stats. Ask if someone else was also disconnected and check the server in the browser to make sure if it crashed or not.

Mr.PayDay posted:

http://www.pbbans.com/mbi-view-all-bf4-bans-44.html

Now THAT is a ban wave. Aimjunkies is down and may be the detected injection, someone wrote in the offical bf4 pc forum. Of course, NO one cheated, they say.

Those are just PBBans, though. Granted, last time I checked was in BF2142, but to my knowledge, PB doesn't issue permanent bans for "game hack" on the first infraction.

If that is still the case, it means all those people can still play on the majority of servers, as streaming to PBBans & metabans is still fairly uncommon among BF4 servers.

Also, aimjunkies always get caught. Same with damncheaters and a few others. We won't come close to catching the majority of hackers until artificialaiming goes down, and that is far less likely to happen.

Edit: I may be thinking of "game hook". If so, good.

Helter Skelter posted:

The demographics of this are kind of interesting. Top 3 countries represented:

1. USA (59 bans)
2. France (47 bans)
3. Russia (42 bans)

The US' placement is no huge surprise, but I was not expecting France to beat out Russia there.

The US has been at the top of the hacking charts ever since most forms of hacking moved on to commercial projects. That $30 a month or whatever deters a lot of people in poorer regions, which explains why France beat Russia there.

And despite the stereotype, hacking in Brazilian servers is virtually non-existent, and has been that way in shooters for years.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 7, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Liberatore posted:

And despite the stereotype, hacking in Brazilian servers is virtually non-existent, and has been that way in shooters for years.

I really need to know why half of every game I've played so far has at least one guy from Brazil playing when I connect to servers in Chicago and New York.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
God drat I do not want to go through the entire SP campaign for the M249. How quick does the PKP unlock, and is it any better/worse than the M249?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Liberatore posted:

Also, aimjunkies always get caught. Same with damncheaters and a few others. We won't come close to catching the majority of hackers until artificialaiming goes down, and that is far less likely to happen.

I don't know poo poo about hacking, but this has me curious. Why, exactly, is one site's product harder to detect than the others?

Tommy 2.0 posted:

God drat I do not want to go through the entire SP campaign for the M249. How quick does the PKP unlock, and is it any better/worse than the M249?

I haven't bothered with this myself yet, but earlier in the thread, someone posted a savegame on the final mission, so you only have to play through that three times instead of the entire campaign.

On one hand, I want the p90, on the other, I'm kind of enjoying that 0% completion of the campaign on my stat page . . .

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Tommy 2.0 posted:

You can download a complete gamesave and just finish the last mission which doesn't take any longer than 10 minutes (just play it on Easy). Also this unlocks all of the previous weapons (REX, Shank, Machete).

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Umberger posted:

You can download a complete gamesave and just finish the last mission which doesn't take any longer than 10 minutes (just play it on Easy). Also this unlocks all of the previous weapons (REX, Shank, Machete).

Neato. Got a link to one?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Lazyfire posted:

I really need to know why half of every game I've played so far has at least one guy from Brazil playing when I connect to servers in Chicago and New York.

When I tell Battlelog to find Brazilian, non-HC, official/ranked servers of any mode other than DM/TDM/defuse, this is what shows up:

Those are about half the servers it found. Most of the other half give me pings that are nearly identical to servers in New York (125ms versus 145ms).

Notice the problem? Let me point it out: There's literally not a single non-Conquest server in that list. In fact, I could not find one non-CQ server that gave me a good ping. Most of those servers are also controlled by a handful of communities and there's only two I personally don't find terrible.

Playing on US East Coast servers is pretty much the only way I will get some variation and still have good latency. I suspect I'm not the only one who feels the same.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Neato. Got a link to one?

Here is my folder .rar'd up. I think you only need PROFSAVE and PROFSAVE_header but everything else is included just in case. Goes in C:\Users\*your name*\Documents\Battlefield 4\settings

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't know poo poo about hacking, but this has me curious. Why, exactly, is one site's product harder to detect than the others?

Different coders. AA is coded primarily by one guy who's notoriously good at what he does, and has been around for years. Aimjunkies shuffle coders around a lot and in many cases, individual games have individual coders. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not. But regardless, the website hasn't had a good track record, particularly with new releases. DC is just a matter of sheer incompetence.

Most other websites are somewhere between AJ and DC. There's only other one that's consistently as good as AA, which also only has one main coder, but it's also relatively unknown, and the guy does it as a hobby and not as a main source of income. AA is by far the most popular hack site, and catching them is the way to eliminate most of the hacking in your game.

Edit: That said, even if you manage to do that, it probably will only be a temporary solution. The usual course of action for these websites is to cut access to the hack the moment a detection has been confirmed by upper management. So you usually only catch a portion of the culprits before that hole is plugged. The exception being when it's done very early into a game's life, as everyone is playing the poo poo out of it then.

FairFight is pretty much BF4's best hope to maintaining the game relatively hack-free, as it doesn't rely on PB managing to detect the most popular hack maybe twice a year.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 7, 2013

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Lazyfire posted:

I have a friend in Brazil who I started playing games with when when she realized she gets just as good a ping to New York as I do from (roughly) Indianapolis. I think Brazil has more fiber-based Internet subscribers than the U.S.; if you live someplace like Sao Paulo access to U.S. servers isn't bad pingwise.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Liberatore posted:

Different coders. AA is coded primarily by one guy who's notoriously good at what he does, and has been around for years. Aimjunkies shuffle coders around a lot and in many cases, individual games have individual coders. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not. But regardless, the website hasn't had a good track record, particularly with new releases. DC is just a matter of sheer incompetence.

Yeah, Helios (the guy who codes for AA) has been around for a decade if not more. I remember having to deal with his hacks when I was running a UT2004 server way back in late 04/early 05.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, Helios (the guy who codes for AA) has been around for a decade if not more. I remember having to deal with his hacks when I was running a UT2004 server way back in late 04/early 05.

Indeed. I was really into the hack servers* that CS and some other games had back in the day, and I recall seeing his name back then. He's one of the few that has stuck around since hacking started to hit the first generation of competitive shooters.

* Hack servers were servers that lacked admin supervision and had no cheat detection. The point was to code your most obvious and most absurd hack possible, and play the game fighting other hackers who did the same. It was a surreal experience.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

What is even the point in playing a game if all you do is hack? I dont get it.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

wjs5 posted:

Same as the inherent thrill in breaking any security system. Getting away with cheating is the game. At least, I suspect that's where a lot of them derive satisfaction from. The others probably just have weird complexes.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

wjs5 posted:

What is even the point in playing Cookie Clicker? Some people just want to see numbers go up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Paracel Storm Rush may be the worst map in the history of FPS. Yes, even worse than 2fort.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So I'm absolutely terrible at this game, and the friends I play with are... marginally better than pubbies when they actually play? Well, I don't know what teamwork this game even is...
So, I decided to take up jihad vehicles, and it made the game more fun than ever. It almost seems like the best counter against the boats in Paracel Storm. I've gotten some people VERY worked up about it, allthough the PCB's/boats are easy to destroy if you pay attention. I feel kinda bad about it when people do get worked about it, though. :ohdear:

The Flood Zone and Paracel Storm seem the best maps for jihad'ing things on Conquest Large.

Though gently caress the pubbies, and gently caress them especially when they have a boat on Hainan Resort and are camping it outside map border. And yet they get crazy when they get jihad'd to hell...

edit: Forgot to say I actually use Engineer with the M2 proximity mines, don't need to stay alive to trigger them. With the anti-tank specialization you get five of them. Also, it seems the game forgets your specialization after one round, at least for the amount of explosives you're carrying.
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 7, 2013

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Dessel posted:

So I'm absolutely terrible at this game, and the friends I play with are... marginally better than pubbies when they actually play? Well, I don't know what teamwork this game even is...
So, I decided to take up jihad vehicles, and it made the game more fun than ever. It almost seems like the best counter against the boats in Paracel Storm. I've gotten some people VERY worked up about it, allthough the PCB's/boats are easy to destroy if you pay attention. I feel kinda bad about it when people do get worked about it, though. :ohdear:

Though gently caress the pubbies, and gently caress them especially when they have a boat on Hainan Resort and are camping it outside map border. And yet they get crazy when they get jihad'd to hell...

Just take a bucket with you to help with holding the pubbie tears.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Orv posted:

Paracel Storm Rush may be the worst map in the history of FPS. Yes, even worse than 2fort.

2fort was awesome in TFC. And Paracel Storm is a pretty good map. It's absolutely gorgeous and the water combat in BF4 is top notch. I've also found fighting over the carrier to be extremely fun.

Main problem I have with the map is that if a team starts to dominate the boat & helicopter game, it becomes a pain to deal with. Most maps have areas where you're relatively safe from either or both of those factors, but Paracel Storm is wide open and gives boat access to most CPs. So once that's done, you better hope you have some decent Engineers with at least RPG 7s equipped, as otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

Dessel posted:

The Flood Zone and Paracel Storm seem the best maps for jihad'ing things on Conquest Large.

My favorite anti-boat past time is to grab Recon, snipe all the gunners off the boat, then jump in the water, dive under the boat, come out of the other side, drop C4 on it and blow it up. Needless to say, successfully achieving all of this is a rare occurrence and requires an especially dumb boat driver. But when it does happen, it feels great.

That said, if you skip the first part and just go straight for the C4 after diving under the boat, this works surprisingly often.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Liberatore posted:

2fort was awesome in TFC. And Paracel Storm is a pretty good map. It's absolutely gorgeous and the water combat in BF4 is top notch. I've also found fighting over the carrier to be extremely fun.

Main problem I have with the map is that if a team starts to dominate the boat & helicopter game, it becomes a pain to deal with. Most maps have areas where you're relatively safe from either or both of those factors, but Paracel Storm is wide open and gives boat access to most CPs. So once that's done, you better hope you have some decent Engineers with at least RPG 7s equipped, as otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

I'm not sure you're talking about the Rush version of the map here.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Deep Space Hitler posted:

Just played my first round on Flood Zone and jesus christ the water in this game...

Traversing water made a whole lot more sense to me once I found out I could dive by hitting the crouch or prone toggle. That and you can use a pistol while swimming. And C4 I think?

Also any goons on budget builds able to get this game running smoothly framerate-wise?

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Orv posted:

I'm not sure you're talking about the Rush version of the map here.

Paracel rush is amazingly fun if you're on a good team, Shooting 2 SRAWs at the same time at a helicopter (You can control both of them mid flight) and it just instantly blowing up owns, getting in the boat and going 60-1 owns
If you're losing, switch teams

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
The Rush versions of certain maps will end up being bad for the same reasons many of BF3's Rush maps were: Poor Mcom placement, inadequate vehicle distribution, lack of recovery time between sets and badly set boundaries. I don't know where the guy who did the maps and balance for BC2's Rush mode went, but they need to get him back.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Revitalized posted:

Traversing water made a whole lot more sense to me once I found out I could dive by hitting the crouch or prone toggle. That and you can use a pistol while swimming. And C4 I think?

Also any goons on budget builds able to get this game running smoothly framerate-wise?

It's pretty smooth at medium 1920x1200 on my GTX 460, 16 GB ram and i5 750 from 2010. It was budget hardware then, so anything newer should work.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Revitalized posted:

The beta ran like dogshit but for the most part this game runs decently on my Phenom II x4 3.0ghz, HD6950 2gb, 4gb ram. Biggest problem by far is the long load times but I've got an SSD on the way.

edit: he says as he gets five client crashes in a row.

Lord Yod fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 7, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Revitalized posted:

What really set it for me was jumping into the water near an enemy LAV and immediately being able to dive under the water. Swam under the LAV, placed C4 on its underside and then resurfaced to detonate it.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

I switched it to Rush/Oblit, at 100% health. Why would 32 players be better than 64 on these?

64 players is just too much for rush. 64 p rush mean defenders pretty much always win.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
I think I will try it tonight, but I'm thinking that putting a few M2s at the edge of the dock next to A in Paracel Storm might kill a few boats that get close to cap the flag. I know it worked at A in Flood Zone with some IFVs.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Mr.Citrus posted:

64 players is just too much for rush. 64 p rush mean defenders pretty much always win.

Yeah, I feel rush is suited for 32 players. But I love 64 player conquest large though.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Umberger posted:

Here is my folder .rar'd up. I think you only need PROFSAVE and PROFSAVE_header but everything else is included just in case. Goes in C:\Users\*your name*\Documents\Battlefield 4\settings

Thanks. Did the trick.

Bubakles
Jul 24, 2007
Po babitos una te babito kokeros

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Thanks. Did the trick.

Funny, did't work for me. Copied/overwrote existing files but on campaign tab in Battlelog no changes. Tried logging out and in again, nothing.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Bubakles posted:

Funny, did't work for me. Copied/overwrote existing files but on campaign tab in Battlelog no changes. Tried logging out and in again, nothing.

Start the game up.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So on the topic of all the hack talk.

I was playing last night and every 2-5 minutes the server would announce :"Shittyplayer1234" banned for GameHack" or some such.

Either the server was a hot bed for hackers, or the system is really cracking down.

I for one am glad to see this, as games like War Z were swarmed with hackers, and we all know how that finished up.

On the other side of the conversation, why is it these super great hack programmers are able to create, market, and sell their product in the open. Do the game companies simply allow it "because"?

It can't be that hard to track the guys down for charge them with a whole slew of offenses, considering they are receiving payment for a product (paypal?)

Jalapeno0
Mar 9, 2013

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Thanks. Did the trick.

going to do this tonight, what files did you need to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

On the other side of the conversation, why is it these super great hack programmers are able to create, market, and sell their product in the open. Do the game companies simply allow it "because"?

It can't be that hard to track the guys down for charge them with a whole slew of offenses, considering they are receiving payment for a product (paypal?)

I'd imagine it's just as much "take down one site and three more pop up to take its place" as it is ":effort:" in actually getting them taken down.

• Locked thread