Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

SlothBear posted:

Saints Row style finishes please, I'd be all over that!

That would be incredible and now I am unhappy that it isn't yet a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

SlothBear posted:

Saints Row style finishes please, I'd be all over that!

They should add in the Glamour Slam© as a finisher. You know the one.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Vanderdeath posted:

They should add in the Glamour Slam© as a finisher. You know the one.

Arus would pay 1600gems for this.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

McSlaughter posted:

The more I learn about how condition damage works and how it stacks and applies damage and what not, the more I wonder how they ever thought it was a good idea to make such a system in the first place.

Yeah, I've been saying this for over a year. :shrug:

BobTheJanitor posted:

They probably thought it was required, because releasing an MMO without any damage-over-time effects in it would likely get them laughed at. It's just one of those expected features. Of course, their implementation is so terrible that they really should have left them out and just balanced the game without them. On the other hand, they don't seem to have much issue with designing bosses that are crit immune and not balancing the game around that, so maybe I'm asking for too much.

There are so many things about how GW2 handles conditions that continue to puzzle me.

The first is that they knew from the get-go that the current implementation had potential be a bandwidth problem with their setup yet they pushed forward with it anyway.

The second, relating to the first, is that they say that there are bandwidth limitations on conditions yet they have it as an incidental effect on many attacks for no reason (why does Blunderbuss have bleeds on it when nobody uses a Rifle to deal condition damage?).

Expanding on this, why tie direct damage to a presence of a condition (as many minor traits do, i.e. +5% damage to bleeding enemies, or major traits such as Modified Ammo) when there's already a condition that does this (Vulnerability)? Especially when nobody that inflicts enough conditions for that to matter cares about direct damage (as % to damage don't apply to conditions).

Thirdly, all the ways they design against condition damage by forcing DPS checks (timers on world bosses, some dungeons mechanics [e.g. golems in CoE] and timers / damage throttling on guild challenges) and presenting enemies that are immune to certain types of conditions or all conditions.

Finally, and the thing that puzzles me most, is that this is an issue that other MMO's have solved. It's sitting in a dark room, rubbing sticks together to make fire when there are matches, light bulbs and a flashlight sitting on a table. It's a problem that should not exist.

The only thing I can think of is that the designed it with sPvP in the forefront of their mind (where none of the above issues matter) but didn't extrapolate how that design would work for other aspects of the game (WvW, PvE) until they got there. Why else would more than one condition damage dealer be superfluous in a group of five unless it was a role in a PvP team?

They said that they were going to overhaul conditions around this time last year but we have heard nary a mention if it since. And in any balance patch, condition builds are the ones that see the greatest amount of change. Right now it seems to be an ant pile on their lap.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
On the other hand, conditions were really strong in PvP, so they'd have to split the two on basic mechanics. PvE is also mindlessly easy and driven entirely by being unemployed and grinding for cosmetic gear, so it's not like being able to do X% more condition damage to some boss is going to accomplish anything other than make some shitbag's experimental conditollimancer build marginally less awful.

To be honest I think they had always intended for them to be debuffs and never thought people would be dumb enough to smash their head against 25 stacks over and over while expecting some different result. Just use a power build v0v. Now that we have sweet floaters you can't even say that you like to see the numbers coming off of your target.

Lamp Stack
Jan 14, 2011

Ghostpilot posted:

The second, relating to the first, is that they say that there are bandwidth limitations on conditions yet they have it as an incidental effect on many attacks for no reason (why does Blunderbuss have bleeds on it when nobody uses a Rifle to deal condition damage?).

The attacks that have these splits are usually either attacks that deal a lot of damage such as Blunderbuss or formerly Maul from the Ranger GS or attacks that have a high damage per second such as Impale (earth 1 Dagger for Eles). My impression of it was that Anet was trying to limit the burst and/or alpha strike potential of some of the skills that they deemed necessary to throttle by having their damage spread across a period of time. To an extent, it does that job properly and I can see why they did it. However, it's not a design decision that's been uniformly applied across the board the same way and the added in-engine limitations doesn't help matters.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

ItBurns posted:

On the other hand, conditions were really strong in PvP, so they'd have to split the two on basic mechanics. PvE is also mindlessly easy and driven entirely by being unemployed and grinding for cosmetic gear, so it's not like being able to do X% more condition damage to some boss is going to accomplish anything other than make some shitbag's experimental conditollimancer build marginally less awful.

To be honest I think they had always intended for them to be debuffs and never thought people would be dumb enough to smash their head against 25 stacks over and over while expecting some different result. Just use a power build v0v. Now that we have sweet floaters you can't even say that you like to see the numbers coming off of your target.

Yeah it's not some huge mystery - hex/condition pressure was tough to counter for the entirety of GW1 PvP, condition pressure is incredibly tough to counter in GW2 PvP, the entire condition system is set up to keep conditions in check for PvP.

They didn't count on how much people want to be special snowflakes in PvE (although the desire to run the same build in WvW and PvE is totally understandable), but that also doesn't account for the inexplicable choice to have conditions as useless as they are in PvE.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Lamp Stack posted:

...high damage per second such as Impale (earth 1 Dagger for Eles)...

Impale deals a lot of damage? That's news to me.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Lamp Stack posted:

The attacks that have these splits are usually either attacks that deal a lot of damage such as Blunderbuss or formerly Maul from the Ranger GS or attacks that have a high damage per second such as Impale (earth 1 Dagger for Eles). My impression of it was that Anet was trying to limit the burst and/or alpha strike potential of some of the skills that they deemed necessary to throttle by having their damage spread across a period of time. To an extent, it does that job properly and I can see why they did it. However, it's not a design decision that's been uniformly applied across the board the same way and the added in-engine limitations doesn't help matters.

Really Blunderbuss' damage isn't great either. One has to get within 100 units from the enemy to deal full damage and even with Rifle Mod (+10% rifle damage) that damage is still well behind that of a Warrior's Arcing Arrow; which deals more damage, can be done 1000 units away (1200 traited), is a blast finisher and on the same cooldown with no traits.

That's less range than what is on a melee attack to get full damage out of a ranged weapon and it's still beaten by attacks with far less limitations and no trait support on the same cooldown.

Edit: Just for emphasis:

The barrel of the rifle has to literally be inside of the enemy to get full damage out of Blunderbuss.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 8, 2013

Lamp Stack
Jan 14, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Impale deals a lot of damage? That's news to me.

Over time, it's supposed to do more damage to a single target due to executing much faster than the other autos with slightly more damage when you combine both power and bleed. The gap does close though when you factor in crits and how you'd have to have both condition and power stats to improve both damage sources. Of course, you could roll Celestial :getin:

Ghostpilot posted:

Really Blunderbuss' damage isn't great either. etc.

Are you sure that you're talking about Arcing Arrow? The wiki lists both's damages as:

Arcing Arrow:
Damage: 511

Blunderbuss:
Damage Damage at 100 distance: 618 (1.600)?
Damage Damage at 400 distance: 386 (1.000)?
Bleeding.png4 Bleeding at 100 distance: 4 s (680 damage)
Bleeding.png Bleeding at 400 distance: 4 s (170 damage)

= 1298 damage at making-out distance

Also, yes, I use an Engineer too and have my own annoyances about Blunderbuss myself and how stupidly close you have to be to get its full damage and how it doesn't make sense on a long range weapon just like Poison Dart Volley missing at range. I'm not sure why we're on this tangent though since I already agree that the design decision wasn't applied consistently across the board and I implicitly (and now explicitly) am agreeing that a lot of skills suffer from it.

VVVVV Just like that one skritt enemy, Maul should just make Rangers throw a bear at the enemy but strap it with explosives for a blast finisher.

Lamp Stack fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 8, 2013

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Not that it isn't a cool skill arcing arrow sure as hell isn't hitting anyone from anything but point blank range, it's best fired off directly at your feet preferably in a field.

That's why I wish Maul was also a blast finisher, it has a pretty big tell. I could see how it could get pretty nuts with GS and S/W, all those blasts and leaps going off plus drakes or something.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Lamp Stack posted:

Over time, it's supposed to do more damage to a single target due to executing much faster than the other autos with slightly more damage when you combine both power and bleed. The gap does close though when you factor in crits and how you'd have to have both condition and power stats to improve both damage sources. Of course, you could roll Celestial :getin:

Are you sure that you're talking about Arcing Arrow? The wiki lists both's damages as:

Arcing Arrow:

Blunderbuss:

Also, yes, I use an Engineer too and have my own annoyances about Blunderbuss myself and how stupidly close you have to be to get its full damage and how it doesn't make sense on a long range weapon just like Poison Dart Volley missing at range. I'm not sure why we're on this tangent though since I already agree that the design decision wasn't applied consistently across the board and I implicitly (and now explicitly) am agreeing that a lot of skills suffer from it.

The bit that makes that tricky is that it isn't so much the base numbers that matter, it's the scaling with stats that matters and that's the bit we don't see. I'd have to dig up an old post of mine in that last thread, but Surprise Shot would consistently deal 125-150% the damage of Hip Shot despite the base number of Hip Shot being some 30-40% higher. With the updated tooltips things are a bit more consistent but I still couldn't tell you how direct damage is calculated.

Anyway, my primary issue with Blunderbuss is the element of risk far outweighs vs the payoff.

And it seems that Jon Peters agrees. :toot:

Ghostpilot posted:

Ghostpilot.6237:

Hello Jon, I noticed the change to Blunderbuss and had a couple of questions (well, a dozen really but my other posts were huge so I’ll keep this brief).

Will the damage / range component on Blunderbuss be adjusted or removed? The change to how Rifled Barrels interacts with it won’t impact it much if one has to get within 100 units of an enemy to get full damage anyway. Any chance of the minimum range being changed to 400 or in that neighborhood. Just seems odd to have to get inside of melee range to get full damage out of a ranged attack. In its current state the risk outweighs the payoff.

Despite listing Rifled Barrels indicating a 200 unit boost to range, it only improves the range of 1 & 2 by 200, while 3-5 are only increased by 100. The way it interacts with Rifles causes Rifled Barrels to be of questionable use as the short range of the 3-5 skills virtually negates the increased range the trait provides.

Thanks again!

Jon Peters posted:

Yes we are moving the damage range thresholds. Here are the new ones.

w/o trait: < 200, <300, <400, <500
w/trait <250, <400, <550, <700

by the way the trait version used to use the basic version thresholds which was really awful. :P

Ill look at that 100 range boost on 3-5 also.

Thanks for the nice constructive actionable feedback!!!!

Jon

Jon Peters posted:

by the way just bumped overcharge shot to 400,600. I might just bumped baseline again as 400 range is kindof worthless.

Jump shot is a different story. This would be really hard to change for the following reason. The animation of jump shot is X seconds long. The maximum move speed of a character in our game is Y. It is already moving you at max speed. If I want you to be able to move further during a jumpshot I would have to slow down the animation, thus indirectly nerfing the skill. I’m happy to lower the range of the baseline from 700 to 600 for consistency, but I suspect that would make you a sad engineer. :P

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I think the point being missed here is that warrior longbow is better put together than engineer rifle since pinning down someone in the middle of combustive arrow and moving into melee range with arcing arrow in midair is much smoother than the varied ranges of engy rifle. I only feel at home if I bring toolkit along to yank someone's chain around.

Also, screw rifled barrels (double jumpshot rip) just make everything pierce targets. :getin:

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 8, 2013

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Lol at hitting anything with arcing arrow at 1000 range.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lamp Stack posted:

Arcing Arrow:

Blunderbuss:

VVVVV Just like that one skritt enemy, Maul should just make Rangers throw a bear at the enemy but strap it with explosives for a blast finisher.

To be fair it kinda comboes well with 4, you can do a blunderbuss and almost immediately gap open. Engi rifle seems to be all about repositioning from what I understand.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

daspope posted:

Lol at hitting anything with arcing arrow at 1000 range.

A long range, ground-targeting, explosive projectile fired in a slow arc that deals heavy damage? I can't imagine that ever becoming popular.

a medical mystery posted:

To be fair it kinda comboes well with 4, you can do a blunderbuss and almost immediately gap open. Engi rifle seems to be all about repositioning from what I understand.

4 becomes something of a liability when the other target has defiance, stability, a stunbreak, or if there's more than one target as you are essentially stunned for 1.5 seconds whenever you use it.

Moreso if they have a reflect as Overcharge Shot, despite appearances, is still considered a projectile attack. Though, when that happens, it's a great way of simulating the old effect of Rocket Boots (back when it was a stunbreak that knocked the user back on their face, typically longer than the initial stun was in the first place). I've taken to using Elixir Gun's Acid Bomb to gain distance after a jump shot / blunderbuss instead.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 8, 2013

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
All the attacks in the game that CC you are really drat annoying. I'd really prefer they just upped the cooldowns or something and removed the self-CC (like they did to that one ele skill).

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

HA. Grenades have a lower cast point, faster travel, almost no tell, and no cool down. Tell me more about how Engineers are the least loved step child and warriors have the best of everything. Really, go on.

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012

daspope posted:

HA. Grenades have a lower cast point, faster travel, almost no tell, and no cool down. Tell me more about how Engineers are the least loved step child and warriors have the best of everything. Really, go on.

Are you limiting that statement to just warriors at range with a bow or do we get to bring in their immunity to snaring/root conditions, ability to flee from any fight arguably better than thieves without paying the same penalties ele's pay for the exact same style of play, their stupid levels of damage coupled with over powered passive regen, among other things?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

daspope posted:

Warriors do have the best of everything.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Grenades also give you carpal tunnel, so there's that.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

There are plenty of ways to deal with mob CC that would be better than the current defiant, though its hardly any use in talking about any as Anet seems bound and determined to not change it. Despite one of the closer to release talks where bosses had no such buff and Anet talked about how chain stunning was a particularly good strategy which indicates "defiant" was something added last minute with very little critical thought or playtesting. Even then not really sure if it would matter for the giant world bosses that are "mob objects" or some poo poo.

Though what they really need to get away from "the big bad" paradigm of boss creation and have fights more interesting than everyone stand at the dragon's knees. Tequatl was overall a better design in that there are multiple points of interest so it doesn't become "zerg stand here, now zerg move here" (its design just kind of goes out the loving window with the terrible scaling that more than 1 people around a turret makes the annoying as gently caress champion mobs start to spawn. What would likely work better, and for all DE-style events, is rather than scaling just bringing in more and stronger monsters, have scaling bring in more points of interest that must be addressed in some shape or form. For instance with 1-3 people an escort DE (ugh, escort) would be straightforward, with 10 or so then at some point the escort gets ambushed with artillery and the artillery must be destroyed while also still protecting the escort itself, but I suppose that talking about hypothetical changes is still ultimately just blowing hot air.

ItBurns posted:

On the other hand, conditions were really strong in PvP, so they'd have to split the two on basic mechanics.

I've heard people say this before. Of course the simplest thing would be to split how conditions handle in PvP (or how conditions are handled on mobs vs how they are handled on players), but if you get 25 stacks of bleeding in PvP then you are still doing it wrong and are going to die.

Some folks have made mention to hex condi-pressure builds from GW1. That analogy doesn't go very far with GW2. In GW1 conditions simply didn't stack at all (10 second bleed would overwrite a bleed with 3 second left, but not vice versa), but changing up builds in GW1 was as simple as just changing it. In GW1 there were very few cases where a build couldn't have a minor adjustment to change out overlapping hexes/conditions, but in GW2 many weapons have conditions intimately tied in with the weapon; the only way to run a power build is to completely ignore certain weapons. Even build changing aside, GW2 runs on gear stats, so even changing the build around will still leave a character with condition damage gear (or end up having to get and carry multiple gear sets). This also begs the question if condition builds weren't something Anet had intended, then why are there condition stats? It really appears as if Anet wanted condition builds to be a thing, they just had no clue how to actually implement them.

EDIT:

Kessel posted:

I've posted a solution for this many times, but everyone seems adamant on continuing to do it the way that gives carpal tunnel.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Kessel posted:

Seriously. I really wish they would come up with some way to put grenades 1 on autocast. I can't really use them until then.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You can't ctrl+right click auto cast like other equipped weapons?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
:siren:Minstrel progress report:siren:

After finishing up my Gift of Fortune and acquiring Bard (thanks Ghospilot!), I am done with the portion of my future harp that involves spending gold! Well, except buying Icy Runestones, which I have the gold for, but will no doubt be painful both emotionally and for my clicking finger. All that's left is three CM runs and 20% of the world to complete. Amusingly, world completion will probably be the worst part of my epic weeklong legendary quest, especially since most of the zones I have to finish are in rear end-calon. At least I already have Wvw!

Special thanks go out to the dentists who have run (or will run) CM with me, and Zhulik for letting me touch his (purple) balls.

Soon, my sweet

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 8, 2013

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You can't ctrl+right click auto cast like other equipped weapons?

na gotta have a target.

I did TA Story on my babby engineer and christ I'd forgotten how loving long and tedious that dungeon is. Seriously there's like 7 bosses or some poo poo. ugh.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
They had the right idea with Teq, just needs some better scaling. Players sure as poo poo are not doing any escorts if more people means it gets more none killy stuff added to it, they'll just yell them away like the teq turrets and abandon it. People can barely do a champ train in the starter zone without screwing it up every 10 minutes.

Seems like the people who do these bosses enjoy how simple it is, perhaps they could increase the rewards for other non world boss events for other types of players, there's a shitload of them and most of them are more complicated and fun than a world boss. Hell, the protect the honey from the bear DE is more complicated than most world bosses. On that front it looks like they're trying to address that but also making it so people are incentivised to not do same few over and over (Queensdale and Frostgorge) https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Collaborative-Development-Topic-Living-World/page/35#post3170957

As for the condition/power chat we're really talking about pve here since this is the mode conditions blow in, they could make it better by at least turning it off inside dungeons. Do people actually give a poo poo about world bosses getting hurt with crits and bleeds? If damage is getting capped on one of those they're dead meat already.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My 3 day suspension is over, and not a single peep on my support ticket filed 3 days ago asking why I was banned.

Is Anet customer support always this shockingly poor? This is the worst I've ever seen.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Reverend Dr posted:

I've posted a solution for this many times, but everyone seems adamant on continuing to do it the way that gives carpal tunnel.

I just went through all your posts in the thread and didn't notice anything, would you mind posting again? I want to try Grenades on my Engineer, but all that clicking is driving me crazy.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

My 3 day suspension is over, and not a single peep on my support ticket filed 3 days ago asking why I was banned.

Is Anet customer support always this shockingly poor? This is the worst I've ever seen.

I know they unbanned al within a day.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Tickets-for-Review-3-days-and-older-merged/first#post48339

Just post it already, I wanna know who you told to go gently caress themselves.

SeaTard posted:

I just went through all your posts in the thread and didn't notice anything, would you mind posting again? I want to try Grenades on my Engineer, but all that clicking is driving me crazy.

I think it's some kind of Auto Hotkey macro.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

I know they unbanned al within a day.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Tickets-for-Review-3-days-and-older-merged/first#post48339

Just post it already, I wanna know who you told to go gently caress themselves.

I have such a dislike for Gaile Gray that would probably get me in trouble even more.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have such a dislike for Gaile Gray that would probably get me in trouble even more.

Sounds like you're scared, if you don't post in that thread then the rumors we started about why you got banned are true.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

Sounds like you're scared, if you don't post in that thread then the rumors we started about why you got banned are true.

It's happening, I'm just trying to log in from my phone as the official boards are blocked on my workstation.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I claim this castle in the name of Goon Squad, Blackgate Division!

Erdricks fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 8, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

SeaTard posted:

Well new thread.

Turn on ground targeting (I suppose it will work with the "release" targeting, but I really don't like that setting) and bind your "1" skill to spacebar. Now instead of the awkward pinky stretch or the twist of the hand for the ring finger to hit "1", now its the ease of the thumb on the spacebar.

This isn't engineer specific. This is how I play all of GW2 (there are many places where the "1" auto attack will stop or not attack when it would actually connect) and it wasn't until I played engineer that I found that it works really well for grenades.

EDIT: VV And this is the absurdity as I see it. People try to play builds that involve pushing a particular button all the time, have that button bound to an awkward key, complain that it hurts their hand, but refuse to change any keybindings.

I recommend spacebar because of the low strain of pushing that key combined with the frequency of use, but if the lord god of MMOs demanded that space must be jump, there are still plenty of other keys on the keyboard and almost every single one of them is less strain than the "1" key.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 8, 2013

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Not using spacebar to jump would be like trying to eat with my ear.

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012
I bound jump to my mouse right next to dodge so I can easily dodge jump if I need to (it made SAB soooo much easier). I use a gamepad so the grenade thing never bothered me as much.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Arus I'm sending you a present to celebrate your freedom I hope you like it

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Rather late for a cake with a hacksaw in it, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Please, everybody knows you can't smuggle him things inside cakes :/

• Locked thread