Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«357 »
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

#gw2 on irc.synirc.net
Latest Game Updates

Guild Wars 2 just released an enormous "feature pack" update, including long awaited features like a skin wardrobe and account-wide WvW ranks. Come check it out!

Guild Wars 2 is an MMORPG from ArenaNet, published by NCSoft. It takes place approximately 250 years after the events of Guild Wars 1, and features the adventures of many different races and people across a varied fantasy world. Guild Wars 2 includes extensive PvE (including dungeons and world bosses), World vs World vs World (a massive week long 3 server war including castle sieges and strategic battles), and Structured PvP (5v5/8v8 structured "esports" matches where gear/level are excluded).

Guild Wars 2 is "Buy 2 Play", as in you will purchase the game initially and then that's it, no monthly fee. There is a popular cash shop ingame known as the "gem store" (as gems are the real money currency) which contains mostly cosmetic items and boosters, as well as the ability to trade between gems and ingame gold. This means that if you are Mr. Moneybags with ingame gold, you can convert some to gems for the cash store items without spending a single real life cent.

You can should buy GW2 here: https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

Few important things to get out of the way first:
  • If you are looking at this game for the first time, you absolutely cannot go wrong. Most of the complaints you will see in this thread are from the bitter vets with 1000+ hours, and this absolutely is one of the best MMOs currently on the market. You will thoroughly enjoy one playthrough at the absolute least.
  • If you are looking at this again after a short/long break, yes, a lot has changed you should come back and try it again. As there is no sub fee, you have literally nothing to lose but a bit of time. The reasons people left are subjective and many, so no one else other than you can tell you if you'd enjoy it again.
  • Yup, a lot of the content being added to the game is temporary, as a part of Anet's whole "Living Story" design. It's gotten infinitely better since they started this, and yes, we get that everyone wants more permanent content. It's too bad, but nothing we can do about it.
  • This OP is not going to list any specific builds. The maintenance required would be ridiculous, as not only are builds very subjective, they change regularly as the game is updated. Refer to the links section lower in this OP for sites about builds.
  • Guild Wars 2 is an non-traditional MMO for the most part. Concepts of aggro, tanking, healers, etc, are all not really existent here. Fun and looking good tends to come before everything else here. Choose your build, gear, playstyle, everything, based on what you find the most fun or best looking. This isn't a typical min/max MMO!

Guilds

The primary home server for goons is Maguuma, a North American realm. Most Euros, Aussies, and other assorted human beings play on Maguuma with no lag problems etc. You will find people online around the clock in both main goon guilds. You can be in multiple guilds in this game, but it's recommended you be on Maguuma as a home server.

Maguuma has a public Mumble server at mumble.maguuma.net:7116, and public forums at http://maguuma.net.

Visit the forums for either of the guilds below for info on how to join them!

Starfleet Dental [SFD]
We are the ultimate cosmopolitan and internationally renowned guild for high quality MMO players. Great Successor Arus leads SFD into the abyss of Guild Wars 2 for a Better Tomorrow.
Forums / SA Thread / YouTube / Steam Group / #sfdental on irc.synirc.net

Goon Squad [GOON]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *throws old sock*
Forums / Steam Group / Recruitment Video

About the Game

PvE

GW2's PvE is quite extensive, and consists of a number of major parts:

• Personal Story: You character follows a story which leads you throughout the world, replacing the campaign and mission system from the original Guild Wars. The storyline is personalized based on the character's race, profession and biography questions answered during character creation and branches based on decisions made by the player during game play.

Much of the personal story takes place in solo instances for the character, but other players can be invited to take part in their story. The story instances scale in difficulty with the number of players participating.

Each character also has a home instance which updates as the player advances through the personal story and the world. The player can invite other players to see their home instance.

• Renown Hearts: Renown Hearts are fixed areas within an explorable zone that give a set of tasks for a player to assist with and provide a reward upon completion. Rather than being given as a checklist of tasks a player needs to do in sequence, players simply follow a list of possible actions or activities that contribute to the progress of an area's renown heart. Renown hearts act as a way of guiding players towards dynamic events.

• Events: Dynamic events ensure something is always happening in the world. These events replace the traditional MMO quest system, and any player coming across the event can contribute and be rewarded. Events can influence or overlap with each other, chaining from one event to another. A large portion of PvE experience consists of players participating in events together, ranging in from helping farmer grow his crops to epic battles against champions of the Elder Dragons.

Events are the bread and butter of GW2 content, and you should do them as much as you can everywhere you can!

• Dungeons: Dungeons have two modes: a story mode which tells the story of Destiny's Edge and a repeatable explorable mode. In Explorable mode, dungeons provide the most challenging combat available in Guild Wars 2 PvE, requiring good coordination and gameplay from groups of 5 players. Each of the 8 dungeons has one story mode version and three explorable mode versions (with Arah being the exception with 4).

• Crafting: A player can gather materials to craft items for themselves and their friends. A player character can possess two crafting disciplines at a time, but gathering of different resource types is not restricted. Crafting recipes can be discovered by purchasing them from trainer, by leveling up or as loot, but mostly by experimenting with different combinations of materials at a crafting station.

Crafting is often used as an expensive way to powerlevel alts, with the experienced granted from it. Several crafting skills can also be advanced to level 500 now, and craft Ascended weapons.

WvW (World vs World)

WvW is a PvP game mode where players from three different servers, or worlds, battle in The Mists. It features open-world combat on four large maps with up to several hundred players per map. In World versus World, players can siege structures such as Keeps and Towers with siege weapons, and battle over resources, to win rewards for their world and prestigious World Experience for themselves.

You can find detailed information about WvW mechanics here.

WvW is the modern incarnation of the old school RvR games, and does it very well for the most part.

sPvP (Structured PvP)

Living Story

Guild Wars 2 has been doing updates and plot advancement through the guise of the "Living Story". The first "story arc" has ended, and has introduced many poorly written and forgettable characters such as the supervillian SCARLET BRIAR. Every 2-4 weeks there would be a major update, featuring:

The 2nd arc will begin in the future after a break.

Important/Useful Links

Official
Official Forums: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum
Wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page (Type /wiki thing_to_search_for ingame to access wiki as well!)
Patch Notes: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates
Leaderboards: https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en

Unofficial
Event/World Boss Timers: http://us.gw2stuff.com/en/events/maguuma
Armor Viewer: http://argos-soft.net/GW2ArmorGallery
Dulfy.net (resource for everything): http://dulfy.net/category/gw2
Dynamic Crafting Guide: http://www.gw2crafts.net
Trading Post Resource: http://www.gw2spidy.com
Build Calculator: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor
Build Resources: http://intothemists.com/
Orr Node Map: http://orrmaps.com/server/maguuma
Very useful goon Guild Mission post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...4#post426752746

And always remember...

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at Apr 16, 2014 around 19:58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Anet Balance Philosophy

Classes

It's extremely important to remember that you can have fun and kick rear end as pretty much every class, and you should choose one based on what sounds the most fun, not what you think the flavour of the month might be!

The Warrior is a master of weapons who relies on speed, strength, toughness, and heavy armor to survive in battle. A warrior can shrug off blow after blow to stay in the fight, all the while building up adrenaline to fuel his offense.

The Warrior is Anet's Chosen One, and can destroy an elder dragon simply by looking at it.

If the Warrior were a food, it would be macaroni and cheese.

Warrior Class Forum

The Guardian is a devoted fighter who calls upon powerful virtues to smite enemies and protect allies. As dangerous with a staff as he is with a mighty two-handed hammer, a true guardian is a master tactician who knows when to sacrifice his own defenses to empower his allies to achieve victory.

The Guardian is extremely valued in a group setting, and are extremely goddamn hard to kill. To counter this power, they get all their shield models ruined by the Aegis Effect.

If the Guardian were a food, it would be a club sandwich.

Guardian Class Forum

Masters of mechanical mayhem, engineers tinker with explosives, gadgets, elixirs, and all manner of deployable devices. They can take control of an area by placing turrets, support their allies with alchemic weaponry, or lay waste to foes with a wide array of mines, bombs, and grenades.

Engineers are extremely fun to play with a wide variety of gadgets, half the class is still hilariously useless unfortunately.

If the Engineer were a food, it would be a bento box.

Engineer Class Forum

A master of stealth and surprise, the thief is deadly in single combat—particularly when catching enemies off guard. Thieves compensate for their relatively low armor and health by being quick and evasive. They can move through the shadows, vanish into thin air, or steal items from their opponents and use them as weapons. Enemies should watch their backs, or the thief will watch it for them.

Thieves are annoying as gently caress, and can turn invisible as well. gently caress thieves.

If the Thief were a food, it would be super spicy chili.

Thief Class Forum

The ranger is a jack-of-all-trades and a master of them all as well, relying on their keen eye, steady hand, or the power of nature itself. A master of ranged combat, the ranger is capable of striking unwitting foes from a distance with their bow.

Rangers have a wild animal pet at their sides, and they smell like their pet too.

If the Ranger were a food, it would be a pancake-on-a-stick.

Ranger Class Forum
Pet Info

The Elementalist channels natural forces of destruction, making fire, air, earth, and water do their bidding. What the Elementalist lacks in physical toughness, they make up for in the ability to inflict massive damage in a single attack, dropping foes from a distance before they can become a threat. Yet, despite incredible offensive potential, versatility is what makes the Elementalist truly formidable. Rather than swap weapons to adjust to new situations, the multi-faceted elementalist quickly adapts to new threats by attuning to different elements as needed. When the elementalist attunes to any of the four elements, they receive intrinsic bonuses that continually empowers them.

The Elementalist has killed several goons and shows no sign of stopping.

If the Elementalist were a food, it would be melted ice cream in a toilet bowl.

Elementalist Class Forum

A Necromancer is a practitioner of the dark arts who summons the dead, wields the power of lost souls, and literally sucks the lifeblood of the enemy. A Necromancer feeds on life force, which he can use to cheat death or bring allies back from the brink. A necromancer feeds on death and decay. Life force is the energy that a Necromancer uses to extend his own life. Using specific skills, a Necromancer builds up life force by attacking and killing enemies.

The Necromancer is a scary class with spooky sound effects.

If the Necromancer were a food, it would be one of those balut egg things that the Filipino eat.

Necromancer Class Forum

Mesmers are magical duelists who rely on deception and confusion to keep their opponents in check. Indecision is their greatest ally. Using powerful illusions to distract, they make sure they never go toe to toe with an enemy; they use their powers and tactics to set up an unfair fight. Just when you think you've figured out what the mesmer is doing, illusions begin to shatter, clones start to fade away, and you realize you've been swinging at empty air all along. It's hard to keep your eye on the real mesmer.

Mesmers are GW2 public mass transit system.

If the Mesmer were a food, it would be purple jello.

Mesmer Class Forum

Playable Races

(click for info)

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2013 around 03:43

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When should I join WvW?
A: You can join wvw starting at level 2. You are boosted to level 80 no matter your level. The main difference between you and someone else is having utility abilities. Even then, I've seen a level 2 warrior beat people down.

Unlike sPVP you do not get your own set of gear, but you will find gear your level dropping. Waiting until level 30 or 80 isn't required or needed in this game.

Q: What is the point of WvW?
A: Besides fun, all WvW objectives count as a dynamic event. Defenders actually get rewarded every few minute, so the longer you hold out the more you get. You will also gain server wide benefits listed on the "B" screen.

Q: How do I enter sPvP/eSports?
A: In the top left area of your screen, click on the "PvP" icon, which looks like two crossed swords. Then click "Go to the Heart of the Mists". From there, you can set up your build/stats/weapons, then use the Server Browser NPC to find a game.

Q: What is the Trading Post/TP, and how do I access it?
A: The TP is this game's Auction House. Hit O, or visit a Trading Post NPC in a major city. Hitting O will bring you to the Black Lion Trading Company, which is also the gem store. Use the tabs on the left as follows:

Gem Store - For spending gems for cosmetic and convenience items.
Currency Exchange - Used to turn gold into gems and vice versa. A note that this is really the way to go right now for your convenience and vanity items due to favorable exchange rates.
Trading Post - Used to search for items to purchase or research item prices.
Sell on Trading Post - Where you...sell on trading post.
My transactions - Check your purchase and sale history, manage/cancel your buy orders and whatever you have listed for sale.
Pick Up - The place any money you've made or items you've purchased go.

Q: How can I make a ton of money in GW2?
A:

More will be added as requested!

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at Dec 12, 2013 around 06:19

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

Call me flighty one more time, motherfucker.

first

e: I cannot overstate how beautiful and perfect the GOON description is

e2: I like this thread tag!!

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at Oct 20, 2013 around 22:14

Do Not Fear Jazz
Feb 1, 2005

Embrace it

Don't play this game it is awful

(700 hours in 6 months )

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

(700 hours in 6 months )

MooCowlian
May 12, 2012

bear-headed geese

If the asura were a food, what would they be?

They're tofu.

They're also smaller than the jump height, so remember to spend any waiting time, for an event or a clocktower or something, practicing your vaults.

Vencja
Feb 27, 2013

Yoink!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Goon Squad [GOON]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *throws old sock*

Oh Arus. Why do I love you so much. Please respond

Ghostpilot
Jun 21, 2007

He's a menace to himself and everything else in the sky...

Yes, birds too.

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Don't play this game it is awful

(700 hours in 6 months )

That's all? Lightweight.

I shudder to think of how much time I've put in.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Nice K/D, not.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Please add Gand's AHK songs to the OP in memoriam.

Thank you.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

No mention of best legendary quip. Op sucks.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

welp

Vencja
Feb 27, 2013

Yoink!

We have a winner. This was a competition, right? Right?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I was 2384 last check. No screenshot for proof until I get home.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

jaegerx posted:

No mention of best legendary quip. Op sucks.

It needs no mention because of how cool it is, buddy.

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

In case you want to make an informed decision on how to be a special snowflake:

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

New weapon combo for the new thread

It makes me feel a little cool...

Do Not Fear Jazz
Feb 1, 2005

Embrace it

In gw2 you can roleplay being your favorite characters, like zelda.

Paging be our guest.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kazoo posted:

(click for big)

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Kazoo posted:

It's almost like the popularity of each class is inversely proportional to how good they are which is why rangers will never get overhauled when warriors still need to be buffed.

Vencja
Feb 27, 2013

Yoink!

I promise I'm going to be in the next reset saturday guild mission thing. I need to creep on Arus. He'll be mine one day.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hey I stopped playing this game yesterday please list all changes since then so I know whether or not to start again. I have already reinstalled it and am waiting to click 'play' but how can I do it without goonful insight?

Do Not Fear Jazz
Feb 1, 2005

Embrace it

BobTheJanitor posted:

Hey I stopped playing this game yesterday please list all changes since then so I know whether or not to start again. I have already reinstalled it and am waiting to click 'play' but how can I do it without goonful insight?

Make an elementalist.

MooCowlian
May 12, 2012

bear-headed geese

BobTheJanitor posted:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

There's the wiki page rather than the answer to your question. Just load it up and play, we don't have any answers. It's a great game though, give it another try.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

Warriors buffed. Missed temporary dungeon and eles were nerfed(rip gandletharpe).

Come back. It's still better than ($insert crap mmo here$).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

MooCowlian posted:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

There's the wiki page rather than the answer to your question. Just load it up and play, we don't have any answers. It's a great game though, give it another try.

Bless you and your earnestness.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

I love this new thread and OP, great job Arus.

PS fat ololo

Vencja
Feb 27, 2013

Yoink!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Bless you and your earnestness.

I like how people didn't notice the obvious "I stopped playing the game YESTERDAY". That part was fun.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Is the TP down or something, I suddenly can't sell my poo poo anymore. It just doesn't load the page.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tivac posted:

I love this new thread and OP, great job Arus.

PS fat ololo

I expect my class descriptions and food comparisons to be added to Anet's official page.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Is the TP down or something, I suddenly can't sell my poo poo anymore. It just doesn't load the page.

I've been having lag/disconnects a bit today, probably related to that.

Ghostpilot
Jun 21, 2007

Yes, birds too.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

It was acting up a lot yesterday, but today seems to be fine.

If only that were the reason my things weren't selling.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Maybe you could refer people to intothemists.com for builds.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

malhavok posted:

Maybe you could refer people to intothemists.com for builds.

I'd never heard of that site until now. Added.

Do Not Fear Jazz
Feb 1, 2005

Embrace it

Vencja posted:

I like how people didn't notice the obvious "I stopped playing the game YESTERDAY". That part was fun.

Why do you think I said make an elementalist

Vencja
Feb 27, 2013

Yoink!

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Why do you think I said make an elementalist

Because you know what's up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

In gw2 you can roleplay being your favorite characters, like zelda.

Paging be our guest.

I must know what that pistol skin is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just a huge slab of beef going "Bring it"

p.s. please ignore the ridiculous belt bra

^^^^ It looks like The Anomaly, which is a focus and costs roughly a million gold, but at least doesn't look like garbage like every other focus does.

No mention of the best races (quaggans and skritt) in the OP. Worst OP.

Ghostpilot
Jun 21, 2007

Yes, birds too.

Alteisen posted:

Chumbler beat me to it, but that's an Anomaly aka the real Legendary focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

It's me you should fear, you stupid, dead things.

Alteisen posted:

Ilya/Lyss are pistols that look like that (glowy purple). They're more hazy/smokey than outright glowing, though.

«357 »