Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Dear Aussie Goons,

Here is some math. Buy film.

(postage is to Sydney, 2000 because that's where I get stuff delivered. Your mileage may slightly vary)

Film Prices - Oct 2013 by alexbeare, on Flickr

Why does Adorama charge almost double to ship 400H instead of Portra? I don't know. Once again, Portra's latitude defies explanation via conventional physics :iiam:

I'm going to update it with dev kits tomorrow when I get stuck in the second half of a boring lecture.

Also, Freestyle has a sale on Arista at the moment - it's only 7% off, but still.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/category/2-Film/Black-and-White-Film?mfg%5B%5D=211&attr%5B%5D=1-1

*edit*

Paul MaudDib posted:

Y'all should do group buys together. Just saying. There's a bunch of Aussie goons, go in on a hundred rolls or a couple bulk rolls of film.

I (or someone else) could serve as a forwarding station from the US if you want. One medium Priority box can hold a lot of rolls of film, especially out of the packaging.

Probably not wrong - doing some dodgy math, shipping 20 pro packs (boxed) via TNT works out to ~USD47 ($0.47/roll), or 100 pro packs gets it down to like 26c per roll.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Y'all should do group buys together. Just saying. There's a bunch of Aussie goons, go in on a hundred rolls or a couple bulk rolls of film.

I (or someone else) could serve as a forwarding station from the US if you want. One medium Priority box can hold a lot of rolls of film, especially out of the packaging.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 5, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd be willing to ship via USPS Priority for folks.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm in Aus, and willing to contribute to a bulk film order.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'd be in for a big Rollei C41 kit and some Portra 400 in 120.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
shoot me a pm to line up a bulk order

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
i've been shooting with a mamiya 7 recently. it's a really lovely machine. i still think my ideal camera would be a gw690 with a meter in it, but it's really nice still.

Reeds, Massachusetts by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Got my sinar :allears: . just waiting on a lens board (which is taking way too long) . Gonna need a much better tripod head too, this pistol grip one is useless under weight. I am frothing at the loins with excitement to use this thing

Jellyko
Mar 3, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

The only really interesting camera is the one on the far left. As far as I can tell it's a 1905 Gundlach-Manhattan Optical Co. "Korona Petit" with the "Korona Junior Shutter", made with mahogany and upholstered with 'seal grain cowhide'. I can't quite make out which lens is on it - maybe someone in here will know. The nameplate is missing from the camera unfortunately.

Looks like a Rapid Rectilinear lens to me. The type and manufacturer are probably engraved around the barrel of the front element, typical for lenses of that age.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^I think you're right, and yes the manufacturer is definitely engraved on the top.

So I had my father measure the rectangular piece that swings out and secures the film, apparantly it measures to 4.5"x7". Is this a good way of trying to figure out what film size fits? What would be a better way to measure this? Or where should we be measuring?

E: woops, syntax

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 6, 2013

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

Genderfluid posted:

i've been shooting with a mamiya 7 recently. it's a really lovely machine. i still think my ideal camera would be a gw690 with a meter in it, but it's really nice still.

Reeds, Massachusetts by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

This is frickin' beautiful. May I contact you around Christmas time for a print, or something? If you do that sort of thing.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

scotty posted:

This is frickin' beautiful. May I contact you around Christmas time for a print, or something? If you do that sort of thing.

Yea, absolutely. It would have to be earlier than Christmas, since I'm going abroad in mid December and won't be able to print well for several months at least after that. pm me if you want to talk more

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Genderfluid posted:

Not "in it" but "on it", could always grab one of those hotshoe mount Voigtlander meters.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not "in it" but "on it", could always grab one of those hotshoe mount Voigtlander meters.

I've been using one on my GW690II as well as my 35RC and it rules. The 35RC's meter works just fine but it's a bit of a juggle having to step down the aperture ring to automatic mode to meter.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So, it looks like I'm gonna be looking at a "Graflex Crown Graphic" this weekend. I've never really handled a LF camera before. What should I be looking at specifically so I will be able to tell if it is a worthwhile buy?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

So, it looks like I'm gonna be looking at a "Graflex Crown Graphic" this weekend. I've never really handled a LF camera before. What should I be looking at specifically so I will be able to tell if it is a worthwhile buy?

Check the shutter speeds, see if it has the Kalart RF (can be recalibrated to other lenses through a fairly tedious process) or one of other ones, which take hard-to-find cams. Apparently Lens and Repro (the only place I knew of that sold them) has closed in the last year or two, so IDK if or where you can get them now. Their site says they merged with Calumet, so maybe you can get 'em there.

The bellows on those things are rubber and usually hold up pretty well, but might as well check.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Pompous Rhombus posted:

how have i never seen this before... holy poo poo

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Sludge Tank posted:

I'm in Aus, and willing to contribute to a bulk film order.

Count me in.

Gotta get some stocks of 120 up!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Genderfluid posted:

how have i never seen this before... holy poo poo

My only problem is that they seem to cost as much as a GW690.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Spedman posted:

My only problem is that they seem to cost as much as a GW690.

I kind of lucked out and got mine for $70. I don't think they're super popular, so if someone puts one up on ebay without a reserve you can probably get it pretty cheap and without much of a bidding war.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I use a great little handheld averaging meter, it even comes with a built in lens. It's called an Olympus XA, you can pick one up for around $50.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The little Sekonic L-208 that I have does come with a hotshoe clip, and to be honest wouldn't look too goofy on top of a GW690, but a black one of those voigtlander meters would be pretty nice.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

The little Sekonic L-208 that I have does come with a hotshoe clip, and to be honest wouldn't look too goofy on top of a GW690, but a black one of those voigtlander meters would be pretty nice.

I can vouch for those Voigtländer meters, I bought one from a Dorkroom Goon here, and it works great on most cameras. It's a bit clunky on my Minolta Autocord and doesn't even mount to my Rolleiflex, but other than that (e.g. on my GW690 or other meterless rangefinders) it's great. I've also washed it once in my laundry without any ill effects.

If there's anything speaking against it, it's its size.
It's easy to misplace, drop or lose, or wash in your laundry for that matter. It also is sometimes a bit indecisive with it's readings meaning you'll have to fiddle with the dials a little until it settles down. Also if the scene has complex lighting like spots of shadows and highlights it may not always be clear where it gets it's readings from. In those cases point it at your hand (if you're a pasty white goon) for a good-enough incident meter.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
My first roll of B&W just finished developing and is hanging up to dry. All seems to have worked perfectly, can't wait until they are dry and I can do some ghetto scans.

The whole process was fun, I enjoy the hands-on feel of it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Front rise is by far my most often-used movement on 4x5.

East Burnside by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Well I did some quick and dirty scans.

On the plus side the camera seems to work perfectly. On the negative most of the shots were pretty soft. It's probably a combination of me needing to learn how to focus this camera wide open and then using my tablet as a backlight for scanning then having to crop down to 20% of the frame because I don't have a decent macro lens ;) That and I just fired off the whole roll in the middle of the day to make sure everything was working.

Selfie ETRS BW by simon deadman photo, on Flickr

Obligatory first-shot of the roll selfie

Rangefinders by simon deadman photo, on Flickr

The Director by simon deadman photo, on Flickr

A very patient test subject

Pedro by simon deadman photo, on Flickr

Chillaxing by simon deadman photo, on Flickr

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

deaders posted:

using my tablet as a backlight for scanning

Careful with that. Unless you put an inch or so between the tablet screen and negative you can easily get the pixel matrix from the screen showing up in the pictures.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yep that's exactly what happened... won't be doing it that way again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ughg I'm a dumbass, I started shooting tests with my Bronica. Myself and my friend got really confused about four shots in when I set the shutter to 4 seconds and there was only a short click.
The battery was dead :gonk:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nielsm posted:

Careful with that. Unless you put an inch or so between the tablet screen and negative you can easily get the pixel matrix from the screen showing up in the pictures.

How about throwing a sheet of tissue paper or kleenex over the screen to diffuse it?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

How about throwing a sheet of tissue paper or kleenex over the screen to diffuse it?

Then you get that texture on your pictures instead!
There's only two things I know give even backlight diffusion for negative scanning: A uniform/textureless plastic diffuser, or any other diffuser and sufficiently distance between negative and diffuser so DoF blurs away any texture.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hells yeah

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Awesome, now go run and shove it in the freezer!

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

So I made a shonky scanner out of a cardboard box with some holes cut in it, put a sheet of baking paper over the back to diffuse the light and used a flash from behind. The photos now look way sharper, this would actually be a really good way to scan negatives with more solid construction and a better macro lens.

Pedro Lounge Rescanned by simon deadman photo, on Flickr

The Director Rescanned by simon deadman photo, on Flickr

Rangefinders by simon deadman photo, on Flickr

Even though f2.8 is as wide as this lens goes, when focusing up close the area that is actually in focus is super narrow. I focused on the Ricoh logo and thought that the Canon logo was pretty much on the same plane, guess not.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I finally got my MOD54 about six weeks after ordering and it doesn't have the dummy sheets with it. Are these meant to come as standard and are they important? It'd be nice to have them but I'm pretty sick of dealing with the lovely customer service from this third party supplier.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

I finally got my MOD54 about six weeks after ordering and it doesn't have the dummy sheets with it. Are these meant to come as standard and are they important? It'd be nice to have them but I'm pretty sick of dealing with the lovely customer service from this third party supplier.

Mine didn't come with any dummy sheets. I just sacrificed a sheet of real film to practice with.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

big scary monsters posted:

I didn't get dummy sheets either and I ordered directly from MOD. I'd recommend sacrificing 3 sheets so you can get the hang of loading all 3 slots on a side without having the sheets touching each other.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 9, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
That loving tree. 65mm on 4x5 is pretty wide.

That F**king Tree by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Some of the people lined up to take a picture of that loving tree.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

That loving tree. 65mm on 4x5 is pretty wide.

This is nice, how much movement can you get with a 65mm lens?

On the topic of the Mod54 reel... I've found that if I do actual inversions it's likely a sheet pops out of it's little section, so I just use the twirly stick thing that came with the Paterson tank. Am I being to vigorous with my agitation or am I supposed to be using the spinner with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

MrBlandAverage posted:

that loving tree.

that's a lovely loving tree.

• Locked thread