Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bobkatt013 posted:

We do not know that. Things change all the time and its possible that they will keep her. I mean Lost only hired Michael Emerson for a couple of episodes and then decided to make him a full time character.

Fair enough, but barring a statement from the creators, the last information we have is that Laurel is definitely becoming the Canary at some point, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Fair enough, but barring a statement from the creators, the last information we have is that Laurel is definitely becoming the Canary at some point, right?

They literally introduced her as Black Canary at Paleyfest or some other show like that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Some Numbers posted:

I think that was at the beginning of the season. Things change all the time, and for all you know they are having issues with the actress playing Laurel. I mean everyone thought it was Wade who was torturing Ollie in season one, but it ended up being Wintergreen. With this show is going Slade could end up being part of team arrow.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Caity can be White Canary. There's already precedent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My dilemma with Sara as Black Canary is that I don't like anything about her backstory. The assassin thing, who she was before the accident, and her motivations. Ollie was a douche, but she was worse. That was her sister's boyfriend.

She's kind of a bad person, and also another Ollie when she should be a contrast to him.

I would like her to stay because of the actress, but preferably not as Black Canary.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

My dilemma with Sara as Black Canary is that I don't like anything about her backstory. The assassin thing, who she was before the accident, and her motivations. Ollie was a douche, but she was worse. That was her sister's boyfriend.

She's kind of a bad person, and also another Ollie when she should be a contrast to him.

I'm not sure I agree. I think she serves as a very good contrast to Ollie. Ollie ends up on the island where he is basically taken in by that asian guy I can't remember the name of right now, Slade and Shado. It's not a picnic for him by any means but at least he has a couple people who are on his side. Sara, on the other hand, is picked up, thrown into a cell, and it's heavily implied she was about to become the ship's toy until Ivo stopped it. Sara didn't get any support, and I think that we'll find out that while Ollie's experience on the island was tempered by having Slade and Shado around, Sara had none of that and had to turn to more extreme choices to survive.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

WarLocke posted:

I'm not sure I agree. I think she serves as a very good contrast to Ollie. Ollie ends up on the island where he is basically taken in by that asian guy I can't remember the name of right now, Slade and Shado. It's not a picnic for him by any means but at least he has a couple people who are on his side. Sara, on the other hand, is picked up, thrown into a cell, and it's heavily implied she was about to become the ship's toy until Ivo stopped it. Sara didn't get any support, and I think that we'll find out that while Ollie's experience on the island was tempered by having Slade and Shado around, Sara had none of that and had to turn to more extreme choices to survive.

I got the impression that Ivo saving her was a bit of a ruse. I don't think anyone on the Amazo is genuinely there to help people out. By "saving" her from the guards he gets to look very noble and gets a hot chick to trust him. Possibly he knows about the ship explosion/Queen and wants to exploit that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Well yeah, Ollie having his friends to keep him in check both on the island and off while Sara doesn't couldn't be telegraphed harder last episode short of Caity Lotz looking into the camera and winking after saying it. I hope this show doesn't go down the obvious "Your methods are too extreme!" "You didn't have to do what I did to survive!" path.

She's the "This is what you could have become" character for Ollie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Huntress was just a trial run for Canary. Now the writers have gotten the kinks out.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Funhilde posted:

I got the impression that Ivo saving her was a bit of a ruse. I don't think anyone on the Amazo is genuinely there to help people out. By "saving" her from the guards he gets to look very noble and gets a hot chick to trust him. Possibly he knows about the ship explosion/Queen and wants to exploit that.
I think it was a good-cop-bad-cop routine. Otherwise, having a group of black people be the raping savages on the show is kinda racist.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It's pretty clear in the last scene with her and Island Ollie that she pretty much joined the crew and had to become hard as gently caress to survive. Actually, now that I think about it I do want to see more of Sarah's flashbacks, would be nice to play them side by side with Oliver on the island in say S1 where it definitely plays differently than what I assume Sarah had to go through.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Well yeah, Ollie having his friends to keep him in check both on the island and off while Sara doesn't couldn't be telegraphed harder last episode short of Caity Lotz looking into the camera and winking after saying it. I hope this show doesn't go down the obvious "Your methods are too extreme!" "You didn't have to do what I did to survive!" path.

She's the "This is what you could have become" character for Ollie.

I don't think they'll do that, based on how detective Lance reacted to her literally snapping a guys neck in front of him. This sore seems to be pretty good about avoiding that stuff, except somehow where Laurel is concerned (please kill her).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unless they pull out some big twist I think everyone knows that Laurel will eventually become Black Canary in some form. That doesn't mean that Caity Lotz has to go away or anything unless they write it that way. And if they do that's ok. It won't be the end of the world. Katie Cassidy is a decent actress and she's done just fine with the material she's been given so far. I've seen her in other stuff besides this show and I have no doubt that she'll also be ready when it comes time for her to do more as the story calls for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm sure the plan going in was for her to go away. Probably by dying.

But that was also the plan for Slade, and Felicity, so provided they can think of something for her there's a good chance she stays if the general fan response has been similar to what it is here.

I do not think that any level of response could change it so that Laurel doesn't end up being Black Canary though.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I think the best route for them to go (seeing as how they do mess with comics when they choose) is for Laurel to become Canary and Sara to become some other, cooler, hero ala Robin becoming Nightwing in the comics.

Hell, they could completely gently caress with us, have Wade be a red herring, and have Sara become a gender-swapped Deathstroke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Error 404 posted:

I think the best route for them to go (seeing as how they do mess with comics when they choose) is for Laurel to become Canary and Sara to become some other, cooler, hero ala Robin becoming Nightwing in the comics.

Hell, they could completely gently caress with us, have Wade be a red herring, and have Sara become a gender-swapped Deathstroke.

Exists. Name is Ravager.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Aphrodite posted:

Exists. Name is Ravager.

BOOM. Problem solved.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Aphrodite posted:

But that was also the plan for Slade, and Felicity, so provided they can think of something for her there's a good chance she stays if the general fan response has been similar to what it is here.

Wait, Slade and Felicity are/were supposed to die?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

e X posted:

Wait, Slade and Felicity are/were supposed to die?

Maybe Slade. But I meant they were supposed to go away.

I added "Probably by dying" in an edit, and forgot about that the second line.

vvv You would be able to tell the difference right away because of Caity Lotz's chin dimple. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 8, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Canary gets shot. Ollie runs over to her. Takes off the mask and wig, and it's Laurel!

"I found the costume. Just... wanted to... help..." Dies.

Nah, this show isn't that dumb.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It would be a drat shame if Slade didn't come back later in the modern series as Deathstroke.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

It would be a drat shame if Slade didn't come back later in the modern series as Deathstroke.

They keep showing Wintergreen in the mask during the opening so I'm sure it'll happen sooner rather than later.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
They already burned half his face and he is on the Amazo, so maybe Ivo even give him his comic style enhanced healing factor by experimenting a little on him.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

e X posted:

They already burned half his face and he is on the Amazo, so maybe Ivo even give him his comic style enhanced healing factor by experimenting a little on him.

Slade goes nuts on the Amazo, slices up Sara. Ollie mercy kills her, then Ras dips her in a lazarus pit. It's just like a comic plot guys!

(Am I imagining a line earlier in the show that implies to the viewer that Ollie didn't just think Sara was dead, but that he knew it because he killed her? Or was that just speculation in here?)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

e X posted:

Do we know that for sure? Shado was in the plane, Slade got burned, but did we see either of them on the boat yet?

I was assuming they were still on the island.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was speculation based on his answer to the lie detector test.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

WarLocke posted:

(Am I imagining a line earlier in the show that implies to the viewer that Ollie didn't just think Sara was dead, but that he knew it because he killed her? Or was that just speculation in here?)

Well Sara obviously died at some point (this latest episode she says it wouldn't be her first funeral) and Ollie says that if the Lances knew the truth about what happened on the island/boat they'd never speak to him again. Plus he was like, really sure she was dead.

Something definitely went down, my moneys on him killing her to escape/as part of his new life with the russian mob.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

Well Sara obviously died at some point (this latest episode she says it wouldn't be her first funeral)
That could have just been a quip about the fact that to her family she was dead.

Or it could be referencing that the old Sarah, the one from Starling City is technically dead. Which is to say that she's not the same person.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

(this latest episode she says it wouldn't be her first funeral)

That line was pretty ambiguous. It doesn't necessarily mean she literally died, just that everyone thought she was dead.

You've got a point with the thing about Ollie being sure they'd never forgive him; I wonder if the big secret Moira was willing to spend life in prison to hide was supposed to be a similar thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WarLocke posted:

That line was pretty ambiguous. It doesn't necessarily mean she literally died, just that everyone thought she was dead.

You've got a point with the thing about Ollie being sure they'd never forgive him; I wonder if the big secret Moira was willing to spend life in prison to hide was supposed to be a similar thing.

I thought that was she had something to do with her husbands death?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

So am I alone in not really liking Sara's actress? She has a perma-smirk/squint thing that annoyed me on Mad Men too.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that was she had something to do with her husbands death?

Me too. I thought it was the BIG SECRET that she was complicit in her husband's boat sinking/death. I don't think the Thea and 'Ollie' know about it. Green Arrow Ollie knows, but 'Oliver Queen, CEO' doesn't.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I'm confused by this. Both parties have a major fault here in the infidelity, but why is Sara worse than Ollie? He was going after his girlfriend's sister.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Jack Skeleton posted:

I'm confused by this. Both parties have a major fault here in the infidelity, but why is Sara worse than Ollie? He was going after his girlfriend's sister.

I think what you're supposed to take away is that both Oliver and Sarah were pretty terrible people who changed fundamentally thanks to their experiences after the boat sunk. One act of betrayal being worse than the other, if that's even true, has no relevance to the story now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jack Skeleton posted:

Ollie was already a douchey guy who did that kind of thing. Sara presumably didn't regularly run off with her sister's boyfriend.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
THR had an interview with Caity Lotz. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrow-caity-lotz-black-canary-653285

I didn't see it posted here yet.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Aphrodite posted:

Ollie was already a douchey guy who did that kind of thing. Sara presumably didn't regularly run off with her sister's boyfriend.

Why would you make that assumption? Laurel indicated that she was wilder than her dad remembered and Laurel's mom said that Sara legitimately thought she was following her heart. Also so what? It was five years ago.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

MrFlibble posted:

Well Sara obviously died at some point (this latest episode she says it wouldn't be her first funeral) and Ollie says that if the Lances knew the truth about what happened on the island/boat they'd never speak to him again. Plus he was like, really sure she was dead.

Something definitely went down, my moneys on him killing her to escape/as part of his new life with the russian mob.

See I sort of think it was a "presumed dead, didn't see a mutilated corpse", because if she legit came back with a Jesus-style resurrection, I think you'd get a lot more WTF from Ollie.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheManWithNoName posted:

So am I alone in not really liking Sara's actress? She has a perma-smirk/squint thing that annoyed me on Mad Men too.

Pretty much dude, shes become the Amell with boobs around these parts.

Now prepare to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
gently caress the comics and gently caress the actress playing Laurel, Caity Lotz owns and should be the only canary. Let Laurel die and be her motivation to hang out with Ollie.

• Locked thread