Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Just watched the live I4H and it was a great episode, but Zach Woods in particular was awesome. There were 3 different scenes that started out kinda meandering that he saved by jumping in and taking them into completely different, hilarious directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
That's what makes me so impressed by really good Improv comedians, how on earth do they condense the funniest part that I didn't even register on and bring it out and making sure everyone catches on.

I have no real desire to act on stage but I'm tempted to get that Improv manual book just because it's so drat interesting.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

That's what makes me so impressed by really good Improv comedians, how on earth do they condense the funniest part that I didn't even register on and bring it out and making sure everyone catches on.

I have no real desire to act on stage but I'm tempted to get that Improv manual book just because it's so drat interesting.

I haven't read the UCB improv book but I have read Truth in Comedy. It's a pretty interesting read and I think a lot of what it talks about in terms of improv can work well for life and social situations in general. It does feel a little dated but it's an easy read. I need to get the UCB book when I have the dough.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Tonight's VPN is Who Charted? with guest host Natasha Leggero and Howard. So, Conduit for Sale, you may want to skip this one.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
If anyone doesn't know who natasha leggero is, they should check out her new youtube series called tubbin' with tash. Just wouldn't suggest watching it at work y'all: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UClgdcwt143fFmpRxTLRWrcQ

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Fezz posted:

Tonight's VPN is Who Charted? with guest host Natasha Leggero and Howard. So, Conduit for Sale, you may want to skip this one.

Earwolf posted a cover photo of Howard and Natasha yesterday, then today I saw the same banner but with EMILLYYYYYYY Gordon. I wonder what's up with dat.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Yeah weird. Maybe she had to cancel last minute. But Ron Funches is the guest so that should be a good show. I would have enjoyed Natasha Leggero too.

Edit: Great episode and they answered my question. Take that Greggy!

Fezz fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 8, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So Zouks is on the Greatest Event In Television History and continues to be the best.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So Zouks is on the Greatest Event In Television History and continues to be the best.

What is ?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

erezaka posted:

What is ?

A series of Adult Swim specials created/written/produced by and starring Adam Scott. Every installment is presented as a behind the scenes look at Scott's ludicrously over-the-top attempts to create a shot-for-shot remake of an 80's TV title sequence, filled with cameos and bit parts from a lot of comedy talent.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Whoa, next Hollywood Handbook guest is Paul Rust

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I've been listening to a lot of HDTGM and I love it. I've always liked Paul and Jason from The League and I think June is a good complement to them. Based on this thread I tried listening to Hollywood Handbook and I hated it. It disliked it so much that it made me want to crash into the car in front of me out of anger. I couldn't even make it through the first one with Jake Johnson who I find really funny on the New Girl. The whole act seemed stupid, from constantly getting celebrities names wrong to call The New Girl The News Girl or not acknowledging the name of the show at all when Jake Johnson was in studio. Does it get better or is this pretty much it for the rest of the episodes?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
No, Hollywood Handbook definitely just isn't for you. You can go ahead and skip it.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Ochowie posted:

I've been listening to a lot of HDTGM and I love it. I've always liked Paul and Jason from The League and I think June is a good complement to them. Based on this thread I tried listening to Hollywood Handbook and I hated it. It disliked it so much that it made me want to crash into the car in front of me out of anger. I couldn't even make it through the first one with Jake Johnson who I find really funny on the New Girl. The whole act seemed stupid, from constantly getting celebrities names wrong to call The New Girl The News Girl or not acknowledging the name of the show at all when Jake Johnson was in studio. Does it get better or is this pretty much it for the rest of the episodes?

Greetings. I also do not like jokes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Skip your life too.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

They loving suck and their shtick is terrible, to hell with this thread I'm with you man

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Hollywood Handbook seems pretty one note to me. Which is fine if you like that one very specific type of humor, but I can see how a lot of people wouldn't.

It reminds me of Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, except MATES takes it to such a ridiculous level that I find it funny a lot more often than HH. Even with MATES I got tired of it after a while though.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Hollywood Handbook seems pretty one note to me. Which is fine if you like that one very specific type of humor, but I can see how a lot of people wouldn't.

I kinda agree. I've liked HH so far but I can see getting tired of it. It does help me to remember that it's all improvised (right?) so that adds to the comedy to me.

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

It's starting to grow on me with this most recent episode, but maybe that's just the magic of PFT. They definitely overdo the getting names wrong thing, which has to be the laziest joke in the loving world.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

It's no RSS, that's for sure :(

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

I love Hayes and Sean, but I miss how RSS was all about them laughing at things with their guests, and now Hollywood Handbook is mostly about them laughing at each other (off mic) while the guest either does or doesn't get it. It's still good, but it's a lot more cynical, which can be kind of a drag.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I haven't gotten the impression that any of the guests don't 'get it'. They know what's happening and they react and play along in different ways.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
They almost certainly tell their guests what the deal is before they get on mic. Hopefully people hating on HH means they've made it and it'll stick around for a while.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Beeez posted:

They almost certainly tell their guests what the deal is before they get on mic. Hopefully people hating on HH means they've made it and it'll stick around for a while.

I felt the same way about RSS, sorry. :(

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Just a few days ago I described Hollywood Handbook to a friend as "A show predicated on the idea that it's funny to earnestly mispronounce celebrities' names."

I stand by that, and I like the show.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I might just be a big ol' idiot but I love mispronounced poo poo. Big reason why Ben Schwartz's segment on the CBB TV show was the best thing I've seen all year. I think doing a show on VPN would really help HH so you can see when people break off-mic

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Big fan of the Mimby Project, myself.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Besson posted:

Big fan of the Mimby Project, myself.

And you've gotta love The Velvet Underground Men.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Seriously though, Adam Pally was a genius on his HH episode.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I might just be a big ol' idiot but I love mispronounced poo poo.

As do I, friend. As do I.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
All I'm sayin is that those guys bus me up and I usually laugh my whole butt off.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
If you don't laugh at 'The Sword Of Dan Cortese' then I don't know what to tell you. I do always wonder how they describe the show to their guests beforehand because everyone seems to slip quite easily into the kind of unique tone of the show. Incidentally, am I the only person who can still never tell their voices apart? I possibly blame this on me being English.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

GraPar posted:

If you don't laugh at 'The Sword Of Dan Cortese' then I don't know what to tell you. I do always wonder how they describe the show to their guests beforehand because everyone seems to slip quite easily into the kind of unique tone of the show. Incidentally, am I the only person who can still never tell their voices apart? I possibly blame this on me being English.

If you can't tell Hayes and Sean Hayes (and Sean) apart, I can't help ya

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The_Rob posted:

All I'm sayin is that those guys bus me up and I usually laugh my whole butt off.

when they put a skull and two bones on RSS I was pretty worried but Sean and Hayes have like 30 companies so I don't know what I was thinking?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Max22 posted:

If you can't tell Hayes and Sean Hayes (and Sean) apart, I can't help ya

Wait, maybe I can: Sean is the one who doesn't own a TV, and Hayes is the one who has a really big and nice TV.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

The_Rob posted:

In general I prefer the sort of humor you get out of the U.C. Berkeley theatre.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I might just be a big ol' idiot but I love mispronounced poo poo. Big reason why Ben Schwartz's segment on the CBB TV show was the best thing I've seen all year. I think doing a show on VPN would really help HH so you can see when people break off-mic

So if this is my favourite Key and Peele sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2EikOsQmtk

Will I like Hollywood Handbook? :v:

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
If you liked the "We figured it out" segments from Gelmania, then you'll like Hollywood Handbook.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Paul Rust gives some great insight into his role as Slimer in Quentin Tarankillam's Inglourious B's on the new Hollywood Handbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tnimark posted:

Paul Rust gives some great insight into his role as Slimer in Quentin Tarankillam's Inglourious B's on the new Hollywood Handbook.

Meh. I think I'm done with HH. The whole episode was pretty boring.