Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
My brother's 3DS shat the bed - it has that error that pops up when the wifi is switched on. Is there any other way to get a system update onto this 3DS, like downloading it onto the SD Card in my computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I want to pick up a 3DS this holiday, but I'm not sure if I should get an XL or not. Mainly I'm concerned the XL might be too big. Does the XL fit in most people's pockets? I've had a DS lite for years so I haven't really seen any of the large handhelds before.

Are most retail games on the eShop? I think I'd rather get a large SD card and not have to carry around a handful of games.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

mcpringles posted:

I want to pick up a 3DS this holiday, but I'm not sure if I should get an XL or not. Mainly I'm concerned the XL might be too big. Does the XL fit in most people's pockets? I've had a DS lite for years so I haven't really seen any of the large handhelds before.

Are most retail games on the eShop? I think I'd rather get a large SD card and not have to carry around a handful of games.

If your pants fit normally, the XL won't fit.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
The XL will fit in the back pocket of my pants with just the top protruding. I don't wear particularly large or baggy pants either. Might not work in your skinny stretch jeans and yoga pants are right out!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Dude, what are you talking about. The German translation went all-out on the Dark type name by calling it "Unlicht", which isn't even a word.

Wait what the poo poo, of course you're right. My brain must have blocked that out or something. I stand by my statement re:shorts, though.

ookiimarukochan posted:

As for Kotaku's reviews of the games and how inconsistent they are, it's been obvious as gently caress to someone who knows the language/has lived in the country that no-one who works for Kotaku understands ANYTHING about any part of Japanese culture (including "gaming culture" and "anime culture") and precious little about the language (pretty much everything that Brian Ashcraft says about the Japanese language is wrong, which is sad when you think about it because all of his "look at me - I have a Japanese wife!" posts suggest that 's the only language his son speaks)

You seem awfully surprised that Kotaku is, in fact, a poo poo website. Don't quote/link/acknowledge Gawker.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
The XL fits in my pocket fine, but in doing so it kinda roughs up the shoulder buttons pretty badly so I've tried to stop doing that.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

mcpringles posted:

Guy-pants tend to fit an XL in the back pocket fairly well from what I've seen. Girl-pants will probably never fit an XL in there unless you go out of your way to buy pairs with large pockets.

As for retail games: most, if not all, Nintendo games are also on the eShop. Other games are up to the developer if they would like to release it digitally or not, so it can be a bit of a crapshoot. Some games are actually being back-added to the eShop (such as Devil Survivor Overclocked and Kid Icarus), however.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Back pocket would probably be fine, I wouldn't be carrying it with me all the time anyways, mostly just when I'm traveling. I don't wear super baggy or super tight guy pants.

It looks like Target is selling the XL for $150 on Black Friday. http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Target/Ad?page=1#viewer

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I just got a 3DS for Ace Attorney and I'm looking for some other games. I see lots of praise for Fire Emblem. I know nothing about the series and every copy I can find sells for near-retail price, even when used. Is it worth it at full price? Is it good for someone who doesn't know the series?

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Does anyone else get wicked hand cramps using the XL? And does the circle pad pro relieve the strain at all? I kind of need one for monster hunter anyways, but if it would help my hand cramps I'll probably go buy one today.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Draile posted:

I just got a 3DS for Ace Attorney and I'm looking for some other games. I see lots of praise for Fire Emblem. I know nothing about the series and every copy I can find sells for near-retail price, even when used. Is it worth it at full price? Is it good for someone who doesn't know the series?

There's a demo on the eshop, try that.

If you don't want to try the demo for whatever the reason then I'd say yeah, sure, it is.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

blackflare posted:

Does anyone else get wicked hand cramps using the XL? And does the circle pad pro relieve the strain at all? I kind of need one for monster hunter anyways, but if it would help my hand cramps I'll probably go buy one today.

The CPPXL makes the system too heavy to hold comfortably for medium-to-long stretches of gaming. As far as the cramping issue, I had to re-learn how to hold the bottom so that my fingers didn't curve around as it would with a standard console controller, but after that I have had no problems. DreamGEAR makes a silicon grip for the XL that seems to be pretty well received, though I can't personally vouch for it's comfort level. It's a thought if you don't want to have to lug the giant plastic wedge that is the CPPXL around.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hey, if you add a friend whose Mii's name has characters unavailable on your console does their name show up as question marks in your friend list? I added someone living in Korea who goes by 트리샤--Teurisya (Trisha)--but her Mii name is ???. It's not inconveniencing me or anything, I'm just curious. :P

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Hey, if you add a friend whose Mii's name has characters unavailable on your console does their name show up as question marks in your friend list? I added someone living in Korea who goes by 트리샤--Teurisya (Trisha)--but her Mii name is ???. It's not inconveniencing me or anything, I'm just curious. :P

I have a friend with a Japanese name and ねこや shows up fine. I have an NA 3DS, by the way.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007

bacalou posted:

The CPPXL makes the system too heavy to hold comfortably for medium-to-long stretches of gaming. As far as the cramping issue, I had to re-learn how to hold the bottom so that my fingers didn't curve around as it would with a standard console controller, but after that I have had no problems. DreamGEAR makes a silicon grip for the XL that seems to be pretty well received, though I can't personally vouch for it's comfort level. It's a thought if you don't want to have to lug the giant plastic wedge that is the CPPXL around.

I personally found the Circle pad for the XL to make the system incredibly more comfortable to hold. The weight wasnt an issue for the 60ish hours of monster hunter I played, or the 80ish hours of SMTIV. I think if the reason your fingers are cramping is because the buttons and circle pad is too close to the edge of the system(my thumbs hurt when using either the XL or vita because of this, my thumbs are too long for them) then the CPPXL will help alot.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread!

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

My only experience with Mii names showing up as ??? is when the name was inappropriate. Someone named the demo kiosk at Target something like dickface or whatever, and I was not able to see the name when I streetpassed it. I don't know if there are other situations where that might happen, but I know it does with profanity filters.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

When the 3DS XL's battery indicator light changes from blue to red, how much time do I have left before the battery actually runs out? I always panic/scramble to grab my charger when I see the red because I think that I have only seconds left

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Strange Quark posted:

I have a friend with a Japanese name and ねこや shows up fine. I have an NA 3DS, by the way.

For whatever reason, generation IV Pokémon games outside Korea didn't have Korean script compatibility. I thought it was a fluke, but in light of the symptoms you're seeing maybe there's some sort of policy to not internationalize to Korea?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

myron cope posted:

When the 3DS XL's battery indicator light changes from blue to red, how much time do I have left before the battery actually runs out? I always panic/scramble to grab my charger when I see the red because I think that I have only seconds left

You've got at least a few minutes. You're not down to seconds until the red light actually starts blinking.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Mennonites Revenge posted:

For whatever reason, generation IV Pokémon games outside Korea didn't have Korean script compatibility. I thought it was a fluke, but in light of the symptoms you're seeing maybe there's some sort of policy to not internationalize to Korea?

I see korean passersby all day in Pokemon X. Annyonghaesaeo for daaaaaaaaays, son.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Carteret posted:

I see korean passersby all day in Pokemon X. Annyonghaesaeo for daaaaaaaaays, son.

Pokemon XY might just be a special exception because all copies of the game come with all seven languages.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Can I get an opinion on Monster Hunter 4? I can't trust the Japanese reviews because all they do is whine about how stupid people are on the internet.

I've only ever played the 1st one for PSP, and that I only played alone which I've heard is no way to play it at all. I just made some Japanese friends and everyone seems to be into Monster Hunter so I was thinking about picking up 3U or 4 once I get my 3DS.

I can't speak for 4, but for 3U it's fun solo but an absolute blast multiplayer. It's still a great game but you're definitely missing out if you don't have friends to play it with.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I can't speak for 4, but for 3U it's fun solo but an absolute blast multiplayer. It's still a great game but you're definitely missing out if you don't have friends to play it with.

I'm kind of frustrated that most of the content is multiplayer only, and when I try to do it by myself the hp is still very high :( I had hoped the solo option would be more in line with the village quests.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

blackflare posted:

I'm kind of frustrated that most of the content is multiplayer only, and when I try to do it by myself the hp is still very high :( I had hoped the solo option would be more in line with the village quests.

You should be able to get to G Rank by yourself still, son!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Well a buddy of mine just got a Wii U with 3U and a Japanese girl I met is really into 4 so I guess I'm covered for the multiplayer on both games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
My niece's 3DS XL isn't working. The power light lights up when you turn the power on, then it shorts out with the screens lighting up for half a second. Any advice or fixes?

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Volt Catfish posted:

You should be able to get to G Rank by yourself still, son!

Oh I will, its just slow going :)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So with this earlier talk about Pokemon types and censorship and whatnot, about Fighting intending to be synonymous with Hero and Dark being an ESRB friendly version of Evil. Does this mean that Pangoro, a dual Fighting and Dark type, is supposed to be some kind of badass anti-hero?

loving awesome

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Gutcruncher posted:

So with this earlier talk about Pokemon types and censorship and whatnot, about Fighting intending to be synonymous with Hero and Dark being an ESRB friendly version of Evil. Does this mean that Pangoro, a dual Fighting and Dark type, is supposed to be some kind of badass anti-hero?

loving awesome

He's the baddest assest rumblenest bancho that ever kenka'd.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

myron cope posted:

Maybe 15 minutes? No more than 30. It's not like the DS's red light which kicked in while you still had a solid reserve of battery.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Gutcruncher posted:

The Pokedex posted:

Although it possesses a violent temperament, it won’t put up with bullying. It uses the leaf in its mouth to sense the movements of its enemies.

Sounds about right.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Last Celebration posted:

My niece's 3DS XL isn't working. The power light lights up when you turn the power on, then it shorts out with the screens lighting up for half a second. Any advice or fixes?

In my DSL/DSi/DSiXL fixing days, I've came across a few units that had this issue, and were fixed by replacing the battery. Although I can't guarantee that this fix will remedy your (your neice's) situation, it's worth a shot. Perhaps swapping out the battery with a known good working one might be worth a try. This type of behavior also is indicative of failure to communicate with the top half of the screen. I would inspect the unit at the hinges for any damage, and ask her if it was dropped.

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

There's a new bonus survey up on Club Nintendo (NA) that expires tomorrow about what games you play on your 3DS and Wii U, if you have them. It's a free ten coins, so you might as well do it.

Of course, you can use the comment boxes to complain about Swapnote as well. I know someone who already did that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
So I'm sitting down and showing my daughter Mario when all of a sudden my 3DS's top screen goes white with black vertical lines, bottom goes black, and it's projecting this ear piercing scream as if we killed its child. Power or buttons do nothing. While I go search for the smallest loving screwdriver known to man, my wife plays with the buttons and flips the 3DS switch to off, which turns off the system. I took off the back cover and battery and let if air out for a while for the sake of it.

Anybody hear of this happening before?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Arctic Cress posted:

There's a new bonus survey up on Club Nintendo (NA) that expires tomorrow about what games you play on your 3DS and Wii U, if you have them. It's a free ten coins, so you might as well do it.

Of course, you can use the comment boxes to complain about Swapnote as well. I know someone who already did that.

Just took the survey and some of the questions focused on online and offline multiplayer, so if you want them to get the message that more first party games should be online then take the survey!

Meowsdower
May 25, 2005
All this talk of people's XLs making GBS threads the bed has me scared, Nintendo won't replace my AC XL if something goes wrong with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meowsdower posted:

All this talk of people's XLs making GBS threads the bed has me scared, Nintendo won't replace my AC XL if something goes wrong with it.

This is an important thing to remember:

People do not regularly post about their systems working just fine and exactly as intended. For any system you're more likely to hear about something going wrong because people need to actually discuss something going wrong, while people rarely update with: Day 341, 3DSXL still working great!

It's not worth panicking over unless your 3DS is displaying signs of some kind of defect.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I've been playing my 3DS today and a bunch of demonic claws suddenly burst out of both screens and ripped my face off. Anyone have a similar problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Level Slide posted:

I've been playing my 3DS today and a bunch of demonic claws suddenly burst out of both screens and ripped my face off. Anyone have a similar problem?

You should probably stop using 3D mode when you drop acid. Hope this helps!

• Locked thread