Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

What does the Q stand for? Queer? Isn't already covered in the LG part of it?

Queer is usually for genderqueer persons, or Questioning, for those unsure of their sexuality and seeking a safe space to ask about it. It used to be LGBTQQ*, for questioning/queer and the asterisk as a catch-all. QUILTBAG is funnier though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
e: ^^^ pretty sure the I got snuck in before the Qs, as I remember seeing LGBTI thrown around in the early 90s before anyone started talking about the Qs or As. But since there's no gay agenda nor official manifesto, I guess everywhere probably added their own letters at different rates, and if you're in a community that is unaware of intersex people...

NESguerilla posted:

Well, queer is intended to cover anything that isn't the 'norm', so it was kind of the equivalent of a proto 'GSM' or 'GSRM', but people still insisted on adding more letters. But beyond that, before the 'quiltbag' shorthand, there were 2 Qs, one for Queer, and one for Questioning, which could be used for anyone experimenting with their sexuality or gender identity. So even if you assume Queer is covered elsewhere, there's a justification for 'Questioning' remaining (especially since experimenting with your sexuality or gender identity shouldn't result in discrimination either, but does).

Of course, the failure of people to be happy with LGBTIQQ (as far as I know, the Qs came before the As) and adding more letters after that leading to quiltbag and gsm/gsrm should be an indication that neither quiltbag nor the gsm/gsrm labels will be 'good enough' for the people that want THEIR special label added.

SybilVimes has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Nov 9, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cobalt impurity posted:

Straight people getting two letters just for not being part of the problem is pretty awkward and gross.

I did not brutally murder any gay people last week, why are people like me not represented in this acronym? It's like they've never heard of intersectionality.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

Of course, the failure of people to be happy with LGBTIQQ (as far as I know, the Qs came before the As) and adding more letters after that leading to quiltbag and gsm/gsrm should be an indication that neither quiltbag nor the gsm/gsrm labels will be 'good enough' for the people that want THEIR special label added.

There is always one of those 100 unit charts from tumblr to cover every conceivable combination gender and orientation. Well, that is until people invent more.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Terminal Entropy posted:

There is always one of those 100 unit charts from tumblr to cover every conceivable combination gender and orientation. Well, that is until people invent more.

I can say with 100% sincerity that I hope people do.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

The asterisk is the worst. The best way to make a new term accessible to people is to make it literally impossible to say. I guess you could say it as "wildcard", but that would just defeat the entire point of an acronym.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If Queer envelopes plushies and furries I'm sorry I can't support you guy, gals and otherkin anymore.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I did not brutally murder any gay people last week, why are people like me not represented in this acronym? It's like they've never heard of intersectionality.

Well, now I know it's possible to shave a beard to give the impression of horrible diseases at first glance.

Also, I think a problem with the growing number of letters in sexual minority acronyms is that it's kind of a ridiculous endeavour to continually pigeonhole variants of sexual practice, gender and attraction when so much suggests that it's far more fluid a thing than most people even realise.
Besides, thinking of sex and gender in such simple 'if you're not this then you must be this or that' is part of the same reductionist thinking that allows marginalisation in the first place.
Of course that said, I realise that merging similar with similar makes it easier to band together to fight for increased rights and kinda needs to happen.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

It's the ONLY way to Kruz for Kiddies! :pedo:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You must be new. Queer people can be straight too, duh. Take your lumping all lesbians and gays in with queers hate speech somewhere else.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sad lions posted:

Well, now I know it's possible to shave a beard to give the impression of horrible diseases at first glance.

My beard is a snake.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Phlegmish posted:

My beard is a snake.

That particular bit of horribleness is called a "monkey tale".

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

omnibobb posted:

That particular bit of horribleness is called a "monkey tale".

It makes sense, monkey tails are in close proximity to a hole from which poo poo emanates.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

cobalt impurity posted:

Straight people getting two letters just for not being part of the problem is pretty awkward and gross.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If they want congrats for not being a shitheel, then maybe they're actually shitheels.

E: Sorry, didn't realize that was a page ago.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Nov 10, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

CosmicCornflake
Nov 3, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Queer/Questioning. Also queer doesn't necessarily mean gay or lesbian.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Bean posted:

I've seen fat people before, but I don't think I've ever seen one look quite that pregnant. Seriously, her gut is awfully perky?

That's because the extra B is for Beachball.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

death .cab for qt posted:

I can say with 100% sincerity that I hope people do.

Then we'll reduce it to CA for Consenting Adults. And maybe a NOYB for None Of Your Business.

CANOYB power!

drat it Billy, momma wants to put dinner on!

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

CosmicCornflake posted:

Queer/Questioning. Also queer doesn't necessarily mean gay or lesbian.

I was always told that the "Q" in "LGBTQ" mean "questioning" (meaning you don't know if you're gay or straight, but you do have feelings for both genders), but what do I know? I'm straight.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Do actual functioning adults use these terms or are they just for teenagers/tumblr?

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

I tried recently to come up with an alternate acronym to replace the LGBTQIAAS madness, but the best that I could do was EGGS, which stands for "Everybody, Gay, Gals: Sexy!"

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

fullroundaction posted:

Do actual functioning adults use these terms or are they just for teenagers/tumblr?

Well, if the GSA at my university is any indication, yes. Not coincidentally, I went there all of once. The weird part of all this self-identification poo poo for me is that it seems to have supplanted the goal it was for in people's minds, and become an endgoal in-and-of itself. Identities are useful tools to mobilize political action and garner support, but they are ultimately social constructs. Foucault made the point that applying the term "homosexual" to anyone prior to the 20th century is inaccurate: the context which makes homosexual a salient political identity only exists in the modern context. Certainly, people with same-sex preferences existed in prior centuries, but the definite category they occupy now is modern in origin. The only reason people try to a apply the label retroactively is to make the point about how normal same-sex attraction is in history, to make the point of how unnecessary it is for it to be exclude from the norm in the first place. The labeling serves a political purpose. Without the ultimate goal of political change, I don't see what any of these identity groups serve for other than as an ego boost. The need to continually generate new labels for oneself seems to me to be an ultimately narcissistic exercise.

Political Whores has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Nov 10, 2013

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

I absolutely lost it at this, it's just perfect, the pathetic way that he tries to be intimidating with something used to light an oven and the spider "tattoo" that is just photoshopped in.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
From bestiality to a debate on identity politics. This thread is a marvelous off-topic generator.

Have some strawberry shortcut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-IQi8f3oI

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

fullroundaction posted:

When the Diversity department people send out surveys to check on ensuring everyone's feeling validated with ample safe space, the identifies as portion's something like GLBTTTsQQIAAP if I remember rightly from the last survey I was sent. I haven't gotten one since because I was still a bit sour over the people walking past me while I was having a heart attack and trying to get help thing and felt that was a more serious issue to be addressed than the Diversity group's concerns over is everyone empathizing enough with those different than them.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

PaganGoatPants posted:

I hope you messaged her.

We need another zelda goon wedding.

Perhaps something like this:

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
Hope those marriage benefits were worth it.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

Chaos341 posted:

Hope those marriage benefits were worth it.

You bet.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
Is there like a medical reason for the hairline or does that happen in the wild?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

glandmine posted:

Is there like a medical reason for the hairline or does that happen in the wild?

Lost the genetic lottery even more than usual.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

glandmine posted:

Either/or

At least she is married and has a kid :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

M_Sinistrari posted:

When the Diversity department people send out surveys to check on ensuring everyone's feeling validated with ample safe space, the identifies as portion's something like GLBTTTsQQIAAP if I remember rightly from the last survey I was sent. I haven't gotten one since because I was still a bit sour over the people walking past me while I was having a heart attack and trying to get help thing and felt that was a more serious issue to be addressed than the Diversity group's concerns over is everyone empathizing enough with those different than them.

:stare:

OK, I think there's a lot of backstory here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wasn't that a joke on The Office?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:stare:

OK, I think there's a lot of backstory here.

Not too much of one. Back in January I was starting first semester at the main college after transferring from community college and about second week into classes as I was going to my morning archaeology lecture it felt like my chest was getting squeezed to where I couldn't get any air and my sight was getting fuzzy. I was pretty much begging anyone walking around me for help and was ignored until someone pried themself away from their phone to ask if I wanted 911 called. I don't remember answering but about then I keeled over on the pavement and next I remember being in an ambulance with full sirens and hooked up to tubes and wires. Ended up a week in the hospital and had to drop most of my classes that semester, but it ended up that it was a heart attack brought on by hypertension. The survey thing came like a week or two after I'd been released and was still pretty shaky over how close I came to dying and as I was clicking through the survey with questions like 'Do you think faculty is diverse enough?', 'Should we hire primarily for diversity over qualifications', and 'Do you feel that your orientation is treated appropriately on campus' I kinda vented a bit stronger than I probably should've in the comments field. Pretty much campus is fairly laid back when it comes to diversity with pretty much every main group having some club or association tied to the college so it just got my temper up with how people had no problem walking past someone clearly needing help, and here's everyone more concerned over diversity that the school's already active on.

But as the months've passed and I'm doing mostly better healthwise (I still get a bit tense when I walk past where I went down on campus), if I'd've gotten that survey now I'd've not been so bitter in the comments, but with how I felt then it was more of a who cares about hiring diversity when people are okay with possibly letting someone die in front of them.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Not to derail too much but is the Q not meant to shorten (Cu)rious?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

beato posted:

Not to derail too much but is the Q not meant to shorten (Cu)rious?

Wikipedia: "In the late 2000s (decade) and early 2010s, a number of internet communities* started to use the term "LGBTQ", with the "Q" standing for "queer", to represent forms of sexuality that fall outside of the original LGBT acronym."

* tumblr, we meet again?

I don't get it :shrug:

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Everyone here needs to watch John Corvino explain all the gay acronyms now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHJ2_J0b4tM

Fake edit for relevant content:

Watch this goddamn hipster demonstrate their deep, abiding love of $2 bills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEa26lfbqOo

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
We're doing awkward beards?

Sup brother, I like Mass Effect too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

You like to badly photoshop gas masks on yourself?

• Locked thread