Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

qnqnx posted:

I just found a spellbook page that I hadn't seen before nor it is listed on the wiki, Veteris:

According to Google Translate, it translates to "old".

I checked my spellbook and it was there too. I got two page drops before going to sleep last night so I'm guessing it is an automatic drop for everyone for still playing this thing during the last day.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is there a reason I don't see many people using the back scratcher? I know most pyros roll degreaser and axtinguisher, and personally I use the powerjack for the added mobility, but it seems like the backscratcher can help you a lot with regrouping after you've ambushed someone.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there a reason I don't see many people using the back scratcher? I know most pyros roll degreaser and axtinguisher, and personally I use the powerjack for the added mobility, but it seems like the backscratcher can help you a lot with regrouping after you've ambushed someone.

I think the Backscratcher gets overlooked because the Pyro has other melees that have great perks with less obvious drawbacks. Powerjack has great utility and the Axtinguisher gives great burst damage. Backscratcher helps you build uber and survive longer when roaming at the cost of being mostly unhealable by a medic. Its bonus damage doesn't kill fresh 125hp or 175hp classes any faster, either.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I keep forgetting you can't use the teleport spell to land on the witching hour bridge, it just puts you a few inches above the death pit.

TK-31 posted:

I checked my spellbook and it was there too. I got two page drops before going to sleep last night so I'm guessing it is an automatic drop for everyone for still playing this thing during the last day.

Didn't have one drop for me this morning, so I don't know.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I got one from a gift just now.

Here's an idea, Valve should add an extra set of hat/misc slots. Make the original set only hold non-Halloween cosmetics, and the other set only hold Halloween cosmetics, and on Halloween and full moons anything in the second set overrides its counterpart in the first set.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just got the magic mercenary on an alt account :/

Not sure if the expense of a giftwrap is worth it.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

qnqnx posted:

I just found a spellbook page that I hadn't seen before nor it is listed on the wiki, Veteris:

According to Google Translate, it translates to "old".
I was lucky enough to get the Veteris spell as my last page before I went to bed/the event ended. Now I don't need to obsess over zere being perfektion in mein spellbook, anymore. :shepface:

Also, now that the event is pretty much over, just how much do you think a 1/1 Demonflame Antlers is actually going to be? I've dealt in unusuals before, but never one this ridiculous.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

:siren::siren: WARNING: Account Phishers are getting WORSE!!! :siren::siren:

I am a member of Trade.TF, where the owner (A gentleman named Swag [Inc]) just sent out a global message stating that his account had been phished. He posted the following information here: http://bazaar.tf/thread/3583/1

Fiskie posted:

Swag[Inc] of Trade.tf has just gotten his account phished. You're probably thinking "how does the owner of a trading website get his account phished?" It's actually rather simple.

Until recently, most phishing sites have been rather shoddy - they just ask for your email address and email password and hope some clueless idiot enters it so the scammer can login to their email account. However, recent ones are doing this:
  • The victim enters their username and password.
  • Behind the scenes, the phishing site attempts to login to Steam with those credentials. This triggers the sending of the Steam Guard email from Steam itself.
  • The victim is shown the Steam Guard dialog.
  • The victim, completely unaware they are on a phishing site, inputs the verification code that was sent in the email.
  • The phishing site now has the user's Steam Guard code along with the previously entered account credentials.
And from there the account is successfully logged into, forcing the victim offline if they were already logged in. Passwords are changed and the victim is screwed.

Here you might say "wait a second though, he can't steal his items right? Steam Guard has a 15 day trade restriction for new computers!" Nope. Swag[Inc]'s $3,000 worth of items are already gone. The people behind this have already found a loophole, it seems.

To avoid being screwed over by this, remember that Steam links sent inside the Steam client only open inside Steam. On Bazaar.tf, you'll receive a lovely warning message if you click on an unidentified link, for example.

Please be careful - if you get an add from someone you don't recognize, and he sends you a message like "So-and-so needs to trade with you but he can't add you, you should add him" followed by a misspelled steamcommunity.com link, DON'T CLICK IT.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best defense against phishers is to not have any valuable items. :v:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I already had a phisher impersonating me to my steam friends a while back - and also was phished a while ago by a clone of a steam friend.

I'm always wary whenever I get a new friend request in general though.

dhamster posted:

I think the Backscratcher gets overlooked because the Pyro has other melees that have great perks with less obvious drawbacks. Powerjack has great utility and the Axtinguisher gives great burst damage. Backscratcher helps you build uber and survive longer when roaming at the cost of being mostly unhealable by a medic. Its bonus damage doesn't kill fresh 125hp or 175hp classes any faster, either.

Backscratcher is something I might mess with more in the future. It seems like an item that'd be good with backburner and shotgun for roaming ambush-pyros. Powerjack is also an item that works pretty well with backburner, for the added flanking ability.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 10, 2013

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I use the backscratcher sometimes when I'm bored and using the backburner or phlog, although it seems pretty apparent that the powerjack suits these better. The oversized health kits are pretty great, and at some point the slow healing changed so that you overheal at normal speed. At the very least this means a medic can heal you at the start of the round just fine, but waiting on a dispenser is a slog.

Edit: It's not in the OP, does anybody have that gif of the sniper stunning a guy on high tower, then a soldier mantreads the taunt victim and they high five?

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 10, 2013

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
I haven't got the gif, but here's the video.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

xzzy posted:

The best defense against phishers is to not have any valuable items. :v: to trade your valuable items away for steambucks the moment you get them.

Diamond Joe Biden
Dec 29, 2009

by Cowcaster
Is there any way to change the angle of the little 3D model in the HUD or do anything similar in sv_pure? I'm playing spy for highlander and the difference between the medigun and the kritzkrieg at the default angle is so negligible that making calls can be kind of difficult in the heat of the moment when both mediguns are named the same

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

I reject every Friend Request I get if the person hasn't told me elsewhere that they're friending me, and I use a separate alternate account for trading, since I keep my main account private.

I kind of hate that this level of crazy paranoid bullshit is the only way I can play TF2 and not worry about my digital hats.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Zero! posted:

I haven't got the gif, but here's the video.

This is so intense, you wouldn't even believe.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Apparently Halloween ends based on your local time. People on the same server are still getting gifts, but it's all over for me. And I still didn't get the two-face / pony / dinosaur costumes :(

Nevermind, just some glitches.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 10, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just bought the dino costume on the community market, the pieces were all less than 1€ each.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, I opened a few spooky crates since it's almost over and I got the soldier and heavy bird heads. I think I'll call that a success.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I got the head juice for pyro five times and the dinosaur feet three and none of the bird heads, though I did get the two face and Bites the Dust, so win-some lose-some I guess?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I've managed to get 72 out of the 102 Halloween items. One I managed to get by selling a Haunted Master Mind and then buying a cheap Haunted Lieutenant Bites The Dust, and the remaining 71 from the free gifts. I don't think the RNG is going to give me anymore unique items, but at least I got the Haunted Hat as my last item. It's my best friend. :3:

Here is the dumb Google Docs spreadsheet I was using to catalog my adventures in free crap if anybody cares.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
Ugh, my hard drive decides to poo poo itself as soon as everyone's getting this cool mysterious last page. The spellbook will probably end up unused like my Merasmus hat, but still.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Diamond Joe Biden posted:

Is there any way to change the angle of the little 3D model in the HUD or do anything similar in sv_pure? I'm playing spy for highlander and the difference between the medigun and the kritzkrieg at the default angle is so negligible that making calls can be kind of difficult in the heat of the moment when both mediguns are named the same

Yes, but I don't know how. yA_HUD turns them sideways:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

After defragging my computer, verifying the cache, uninstalling all HUDs, custom scripts, P-rec, and port forwarding TF2 on my router... I'm still getting the phantom Lag. It's so bizarre. I can still see everyone moving sometimes, only I'm frozen in my place. The problem just started last night and has gone on through today. The only thing I can think is it is video card related. I guess it's finally dying. I'll try asking once again, has anyone else had this problem? Where you'll lag out, only your ping is fine and netgraph shows no lagspikes? I can still hear everyone talking through voice chat fine and sometimes I can even see them typing in the chat window.

Here I am flying on wings of lag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EptMgY9dZY

edit: vvv I would post my netgraph but I'm trying to reinstall TF2 right now. I'm thinking it might actually be HDD related. A lot of people with similar issues seem to say its related to read/write errors and I have been having issues with TF2 keeping any of my settings. If the reinstall doesn't fix it I'll post my netgraph. Sorry, I know how much of a bother it is diagnosing people's TF2 problems are. I haven't actually had ANY trouble in the years since Beta. Only in the past couple of days. That's what has me worried it might be a bigger issue than just my game.

One of the goofier things is that during the weird lagging out my little HUD dude in the corner started doing his Laugh taunt over and over again. He was mocking me. vvv

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 11, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Can you get a screenshot of your net graph while it's happening? You claim it looks "fine", but that's not very descriptive…

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Jabor posted:

Can you get a screenshot of your net graph while it's happening? You claim it looks "fine", but that's not very descriptive…

This, also make sure it's net_graph 4

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I just got a second Veteris page (the new one that just started dropping). No idea what the heck it's for, but you can get more than one of them.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

PDP-1 posted:

I just got a second Veteris page (the new one that just started dropping). No idea what the heck it's for, but you can get more than one of them.

I have three. Steam made me change my password so I can't buy the Transmogrifiers to change all my dupes.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Towards the end of the last thread somebody posted a guide to recording demos of all your matches with P-REC or whatever and I need to start doing that now because I missed out on the most amazing thing.

It was on sawmill and since it was going to be my last round for the night a friend and I both with engie. At the end of the round a direct hit soldier went after my mini so I chased him down and killed him with the frontier justice and taunted.

And then another soldier tried to market garden me.

And landed right in front of my guitar as it was coming down.

And it is lost forever :smith:

Edit: Miraculously a friend was recording a demo and despite being away from me it's still recorded and I will totally upload and post and get my youtube fame.

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 11, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
My favorite bad workshop submission was from ages ago, and it's just endearingly terrible.

I wish I could find the guy's workshop page, I remember him also making this godawful Scout post-apocalyptic armor which he didn't even import into the game, he just put it on some horrifying looking 3D model of the Scout he made.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Event's over, folks! No more candy-flavoured health packs and no more gifts. Let's see if these books do anything aside from take up room in your bag.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

miscellaneous14 posted:

I wish I could find the guy's workshop page, I remember him also making this godawful Scout post-apocalyptic armor which he didn't even import into the game, he just put it on some horrifying looking 3D model of the Scout he made.

It was worse than that, he took a screenshot of the jacket and pasted it over a screenshot of the scout in the default pose in MSpaint.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Balon posted:

Event's over, folks! No more candy-flavoured health packs and no more gifts. Let's see if these books do anything aside from take up room in your bag.

It's not over for me yet! I still have a couple chances to get a Haunted Hat...:unsmith:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So I was driving to work today and somewhere between my dread and my headcold I chanced upon a funhavers gimmick that I don't know has been proposed (probably has; hence popping into my brain).

Sure the pubbies can try their untested and modern battle tactics all that they want; but we know that only time tested methods of warfare and killing actually have any value on battlefields. And who was it that mastered the art of warfare; loved funny hats; and could potentially provide a tf2 gimmick? Napoleon Bonaparte motherfuckers.

So while the pubbies bunny hop and try to kill eachother; showing themselves to be both undisciplined and dishonorable; organized goons are putting on their sunday best and their french themes; and lining up for semi-organized volleys against the enemy. Fire! Reload! Fire! Reload! And then once they have been softened; organized bayonet charges to seize their position and move up the line of battle! War is hell; but by god it will be done properly this time!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Balon posted:

Nope, still running, for me anyways. Managed to get item number 73 as well: Cap'n Calamari.

I hope the market on Haunted items bottoms out really hard so I can just buy/trade for all the remaining goodies I want.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

Nope, still running, for me anyways. Managed to get item number 73 as well: Cap'n Calamari.

I hope the market on Haunted items bottoms out really hard so I can just buy/trade for all the remaining goodies I want.

You can only get haunted items through crates, I thought?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The eagle head looks kinda silly with some miscs.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

You can only get haunted items through crates, I thought?

Yes, but they're tradable and can be sold at on the Steam market. Most of the items I've collected throughout the event were the untradeable, uncraftable Halloween gifts, so for everything else that I want, I can just buy or trade for them. They're probably going to be in Haunted quality since the tradable, non-Haunted items are those purchasable on the Mann Co. Store, and I'm sure there were more people buying keys than buying costume pieces straight up through the store.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I was hoping to get a Die Job for the neat Filamental trick, but I ferreted away a Putrescent Pigmentation and I don't have the Filamental anyway :shobon:

Dunno what I should use it on instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Page of Veteris at the buzzer, whatever the hell that does. For some reason I thought the event would be a bit longer, since all those crates vanish the 12th.

• Locked thread