Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

I've been playing my 3DS today and a bunch of demonic claws suddenly burst out of both screens and ripped my face off. Anyone have a similar problem?

Stop playing SMTIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Recently my Nintendo 3DS XL has grown teeth and attained a wicked sentience. Suggestions?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Stop playing SMTIV.
Y'know I was this close to dropping the Atlus Bomb but then I was like "ehh gently caress it" :effort:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miltank posted:

Recently my Nintendo 3DS XL has grown teeth and attained a wicked sentience. Suggestions?

Clearly say the words "KLAATU BARADA NIKTO" aloud before you open it and it should work fine until you can bring it to a priest. Do not try opening it otherwise!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Draile posted:

I just got a 3DS for Ace Attorney and I'm looking for some other games. I see lots of praise for Fire Emblem. I know nothing about the series and every copy I can find sells for near-retail price, even when used. Is it worth it at full price? Is it good for someone who doesn't know the series?

It's the first FE game I played and I loved it. Did you ever play Advance Wars? Imagine the units in Advance Wars were people that could permanently die. Also your units can become friends which makes them stronger when they attack side by side, and some of them eventually get married :shobon: I liked it but it's not for everyone.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm seeing Bravely default sold in some stores but I also read the European version is coming out later in December, is the release information wrong or would they have to be selling the Japanese version instead? Not sure if I should wait for a different release to come out if I want the game in English. For reference I've seen the game being sold in Austria.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The international versions of Bravely Default (as well as the For The Sequel JP version) has all the languages on the cart (JP, EFIGS, one other... Portuguese?), so if it's legit you won't have to worry.

I don't see why they'd be selling the JP version, given that it's region-locked.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't see why they'd be selling the JP version, given that it's region-locked.

I guess there's enough JP 3DS-models in the region to have a market.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Avalerion posted:

I'm seeing Bravely default sold in some stores but I also read the European version is coming out later in December, is the release information wrong or would they have to be selling the Japanese version instead?

Japanese version isn't out until December (now, it WAS November for some time) so either they've got empty boxes out to encourage pre-orders (GAME in the UK used to have a major hard-on for this) or else the game was done well in advance and you've found a retailer willing to break street date (but given the Japanese release was pushed to December fairly late on that's unlikely IMO)

Katana Gomai posted:

You seem awfully surprised that Kotaku is, in fact, a poo poo website. Don't quote/link/acknowledge Gawker.
Kotaku appear to have a handful of journalists that occasionally put out well written, thoughtful articles. The issue I am complaining about is that they employ Brian Ashcraft and Richard something-or-other (don't want to spend the time staring at Kotaku to find his name) who do for an understanding of Japanese language / culture what the Yorkshire Ripper did for prostitutes. Ashcraft in particular appears to actually have qualified as a journalist (which shows just how bad journalist schools in the US can be) which means that he also pops up elsewhere.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ImpAtom posted:

Stop playing SMTIV.

Personally I'm willing to risk having my throat torn out by by demonic claws coming out of the 3DS rather than stop playing SMTIV. It's just that good.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

ImpAtom posted:

Stop playing SMTIV.

This is the worst advice. :colbert:

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
If anyone else is in Ireland: Gamestop are selling Mario 3D Land for €20. The website is "sold out", but I got one in my local brick-and-mortar.

Tangentially: I ordered it from Amazon, and cancelled it afterwards. They were in the process of dispatching it, but allowed me to cancel anyway. I'm pretty sure I got charged for it, though. If they did charge me, am I going to have to jump through hoops to get that back? Amazon.co.uk if that's relevant.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

saltyslug posted:

If anyone else is in Ireland: Gamestop are selling Mario 3D Land for €20. The website is "sold out", but I got one in my local brick-and-mortar.

Tangentially: I ordered it from Amazon, and cancelled it afterwards. They were in the process of dispatching it, but allowed me to cancel anyway. I'm pretty sure I got charged for it, though. If they did charge me, am I going to have to jump through hoops to get that back? Amazon.co.uk if that's relevant.

Just contact them and ask. Their customer service will usually bend over backwards to help you, and that's speaking from my experience with the CS reps in Servicewüste Deutschland.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Philosopher King posted:

So I heard that some 3ds xl's will be going for 150 this black friday. Is there any way the Zelda 3ds xl bundle will drop the price to follow suit?

This is a door buster deal at Target so you have to decide if camping overnight in the freezing cold is worth saving $50.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What is the best Final Fantasy game that i can play on my 3DS?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The World Ends With You. :v:

For real, the answer's probably Theatrhythm. There aren't any proper FF games for the 3DS (until Bravely Default comes out, which is pretty drat close), and your DS options are FF3/4 DS (3 DS is probably the worst game in the series, 4 isn't as bad but it all but requires knowing FF4 really, really well), Tactics A2, Revenant Wings, and Four Heroes of Light. Of those, I'd personally go with Four Heroes of Light, which has the minor benefit of being a spiritual prequel of sorts to Bravely Default.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 10, 2013

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is there ever gonna be another FFT? :sigh:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mammal Sauce posted:

There was I think. But it was a card game for the phones or something :shrug:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mammal Sauce posted:

Matsuno left SE.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Mammal Sauce posted:

No.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

My original 3DS didn't immediately come out of sleep mode today and I had to turn it off. It appears to be okay now, but I'm worried it will happen again.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This place is selling the 2DS for $99.99:

http://www.shopritedelivers.com/Search.aspx?m=24

Can anyone vouch for it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This place is selling the 2DS for $99.99:

http://www.shopritedelivers.com/Search.aspx?m=24

Can anyone vouch for it?

Shoprite is a large brand store, they should be completely trustworthy.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Artix posted:

For real, the answer's probably Theatrhythm.

I just picked this game up last week. It reminds me of Elite Beat Agents crossed with Rock Band, in a way.

I wish more companies would do odd games like this with their franchises. I can only dream of a Resident Evil that's in a side-scrolling, Contra style game, or even as a turn-based RPG.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Sodium Chloride posted:

My original 3DS didn't immediately come out of sleep mode today and I had to turn it off. It appears to be okay now, but I'm worried it will happen again.

It doesn't mean anything or effect anything, the game just crashed coming out of sleep mode. It's more common with games with an internet component. I'd suggest saving before closing your 3DS. It's only happened to my launch unit a handful of times (maybe 10?) but being cautious doesn't hurt.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Mammal Sauce posted:

How much do you like browser games?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nilryna posted:

I wish more companies would do odd games like this with their franchises. I can only dream of a Resident Evil that's in a side-scrolling, Contra style game, or even as a turn-based RPG.

In the ideal world, IP wouldn't exist and anyone could make a game featuring, say, characters and setting from the Legend of Zelda series. We'd have all the RPG spinoffs, all of the match-three spinoffs, and all of the MMOs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Eh, I wouldn't say an ideal world lacks IP rights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

In the ideal world, IP wouldn't exist and anyone could make a game featuring, say, characters and setting from the Legend of Zelda series. We'd have all the RPG spinoffs, all of the match-three spinoffs, and all of the MMOs.

That would honestly be kind of depressing. It's sad that the ideal world isn't a bunch of great original ideas but everyone homogenizing the same few characters into every genre they can think of. Instead of people trying to come up with new things and new ideas they just make a Zelda game because it will be more recognizable and there's no reason to make your own IP anymore because you gain no benefit from it, just a bunch of other people using the thing you created.

Nilryna posted:

I just picked this game up last week. It reminds me of Elite Beat Agents crossed with Rock Band, in a way

They made a turn-based RPG Resident Evil for the GBC. It sucked.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 11, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^I didn't think it was so bad, although I don't know why they didn't just copy Sweet Home instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Konami's done plenty of weird IP offshoots in the past - there are Silent Hill/Castlevania lightgun games, there's a Twinbee roguelike, a Parodious strategy game, all sorts of crap (and even more if you could all the Hudson stuff).

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

ImpAtom posted:

That would honestly be kind of depressing. It's sad that the ideal world isn't a bunch of great original ideas but everyone homogenizing the same few characters into every genre they can think of. Instead of people trying to come up with new things and new ideas they just make a Zelda game because it will be more recognizable and there's no reason to make your own IP anymore because you gain no benefit from it, just a bunch of other people using the thing you created.

In my ideal world, publishers would make a weird, out-of-vein games for a franchise every now and again (not constantly, cause then it would get annoying and dumb). For instance, a Mario game that plays more like Zelda, and a Zelda game that's more like Mario.

quote:

They made a turn-based RPG Resident Evil for the GBC. It sucked.

Well, that's unfortunate and negates my utopia.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Amppelix posted:

That sounds terrible. Every time a genuinely good game is released the market would get flooded with shovelware from every poo poo-tier developer trying to cash in on it's IP. This already happens to an extent when publishers don't care and just want to cash-in on acquired IP, but it would be so much worse.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Amppelix posted:

You're basically legalizing fanfiction as something people can and should profit from.

Think about that for a second.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo_Crimson posted:

You're basically legalizing fanfiction as something people can and should profit from.

Think about that for a second.

Though that is true, to be fair this really should be a thing in cases where the question of IP ownership gets as far as "uh... hosed if we know who has it now :shrug:" on old game franchises. Or at least let it revert to the original creator.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Though that is true, to be fair this really should be a thing in cases where the question of IP ownership gets as far as "uh... hosed if we know who has it now :shrug:" on old game franchises. Or at least let it revert to the original creator.

I can't really think of too many big named IPs that are orphan works at this point. Off the top of my head, on the PC, there are two Doom-likes from the mid-90s in which nobody (not even the people who worked on the games) knows who owns the IP rights to at the moment: Strife and Killing Time. I don't know if either of those are the kind of thing people want to make future games off of, since the fandom for both extends to "fans of old FPS games" and maybe "fans of 3DO games" in the case of Killing Time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hmm. I would return my 2DS and get the $99 one, but I kinda don't care.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Matsuno left SE.

And on top of this, he wants nothing to do with Ivalice anymore. That's just a crying shame.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

And on top of this, he wants nothing to do with Ivalice anymore. That's just a crying shame.

I could deal with that part if it meant more Tactics Ogre.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Aussies, EBG has a few things for non-terrible local prices - Kid Icarus/Star Fox for $28, Style Savvy/Nintendogs+cats for $23, etc:

https://www.ebgames.com.au/3ds/any/any/any/2?priceFrom=&priceTo=28&availability=onlinestock&specials=OnSale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Wait, I thought Bravely Default was the (unofficial) Final Fantasy RPG on the 3DS. It sure has that feel to it, anyway.

• Locked thread