Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

crestfallen posted:

Use the trick where you can dump liquid on a block and it goes half on each side. That gets it going; you're already infinite. Eventually you can just use pumps.

The only problem I found when using pumps, is that since honey is so slow to move, it can take forever for a pump to refill the reservoir it's pulling from. You probably want to have a single inlet pump and multiple outlet pumps. I think this still multiplies your output, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

DelphiAegis posted:

The only problem I found when using pumps, is that since honey is so slow to move, it can take forever for a pump to refill the reservoir it's pulling from. You probably want to have a single inlet pump and multiple outlet pumps. I think this still multiplies your output, anyway.
Correct. You can also use a slower timer to give the honey a chance to fall down before the pumps activate again.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I haven't played this since last year, and recently re-found this thread. I lost my hardmode character, so I started from scratch.

I've pretty much "finished" the game (all hardmode bosses, etc) and I'm just digging like a madman and trying desperately to get some of the endgame keymolds to no avail. I'm assuming the answer is NO, but is there any trick to finding them? I want vampire knives damnit :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm assuming the answer is NO, but is there any trick to finding them? I want vampire knives damnit :(

Be really lucky, or set up an AFK farm and leave it running overnight.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I was pretty adamant about doing everything in Terraria legitimately, but I just Tedited the keys in. There's no reason for the keymolds to be so rare, especially if you're at the end of the game.

I did this before molds existed, so you could always just hack in the molds and gather the other components yourself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Yeah, mine out all the crimstone blocks and turn them to bricks. It should keep the look you're going for, without the change of biome.
You don't make crimstone into bricks.

You make it into something... else. :unsmigghh:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

FadingChord posted:

I was pretty adamant about doing everything in Terraria legitimately, but I just Tedited the keys in. There's no reason for the keymolds to be so rare, especially if you're at the end of the game.

I did this before molds existed, so you could always just hack in the molds and gather the other components yourself.

Especially since the molds are equally rare as the keys. Needing to kill Plantera each time you craft a dungeon key is enough, plus souls form each mechanical boss.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, that's the whole reason Key drops became Mold drops: Red wanted to make sure you couldn't open the chests before beating Plantera and the three mechanical bosses. My first time into Hardmode a corrupt key dropped only ten minutes in and I got the key Scourge of the Corruptor pretty much the first night. I used it pretty much from then on. I can see why Red wouldn't want people lucking out like that and skipping all the other gear.

Argable
Aug 18, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, that's the whole reason Key drops became Mold drops: Red wanted to make sure you couldn't open the chests before beating Plantera and the three mechanical bosses. My first time into Hardmode a corrupt key dropped only ten minutes in and I got the key Scourge of the Corruptor pretty much the first night. I used it pretty much from then on. I can see why Red wouldn't want people lucking out like that and skipping all the other gear.

The same thing happened to me with the hallowed key. I hadn't beaten a single hardmode boss yet, no wings, nothing, but I just hopped down into the dungeon and facerolled The Destroyer with the rainbow gun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm playing Terraria for the first time.

I've beaten the Eye of Cthulhu and Skeletron. I've explored most of the underground jungle, but I haven't found any beehives yet.

I've explored the entire Dungeon. There are still some chests I need to open (particularly those that require a colored key), but I've mapped the entire thing.

Anyway, I've got a Crimson area in the game, and it's entirely surrounded by blocks I can't mine. Every single heart is fully encased by red un-mineable stone. I know I'm supposed to kill those hearts to summon the Brain.

This is something of a catch-22. I need a pick that I can't make without beating the Brain, but I can't break the hearts to summon it without the pick.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Pangalin
Aug 11, 2007

Grown men are talking.

ConfusedUs posted:

Is there something I'm missing here?

Dynamite. You're missing dynamite.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Buy purification powder from the dryad, or use dynamite.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pangalin posted:

Dynamite. You're missing dynamite.

Why didn't I think of that? I have like 25 dynamite in my stash, and 50+ bombs.

Brb, gonna blow up a brain.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

That should really be the player's choice to make, IMO, but I've already said my piece on how he has Absolute Virtue syndrome.

So stupid question: can I use a pirate map in the ocean and have pirates come to me? I'm in my ocean trap grind hut and would love to burn maps as I get them if it would work (and not murder my NPCs horribly).

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

That should really be the player's choice to make, IMO, but I've already said my piece on how he has Absolute Virtue syndrome.

So stupid question: can I use a pirate map in the ocean and have pirates come to me? I'm in my ocean trap grind hut and would love to burn maps as I get them if it would work (and not murder my NPCs horribly).

Don't invasions end settling somewhere near the center of the map or where there are the most NPCs? Because if not that's something that should have been very obvious yet I never even thought about it.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

crestfallen posted:

Use the trick where you can dump liquid on a block and it goes half on each side. That gets it going; you're already infinite. Eventually you can just use pumps.

I tested splitting the flow with lava earlier and it's no longer creating more than goes in. I think that's part of the 1.2 patch changes. However flow down ramps does seem to increase the amount.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I tested splitting the flow with lava earlier and it's no longer creating more than goes in. I think that's part of the 1.2 patch changes. However flow down ramps does seem to increase the amount.
Pumps spit out slightly more than they take in, it seems.

However, the trick with doing it by hand is that you pour it over a block, with a one-block reservoir on one side and what you want to fill on the other. You don't get more out than the full block you picked up, but the half block in the reservoir will still fill the bucket completely if you wait for the liquid to settle.

Repeat until you've done whatever you wanted or have enough that the pumps can take over.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

qnqnx posted:

Don't invasions end settling somewhere near the center of the map or where there are the most NPCs? Because if not that's something that should have been very obvious yet I never even thought about it.

The spot that they "arrive" at is the center of the map - where you started when you spawned originally. If you used them in the ocean you might see a couple when you first use the map, but they're not going to hang around.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I killed the brain, then realized I had enough vertebrae to summon it again. So I killed it again.

Meteorites started falling so I mined up some Meteor Armor and a Space Gun. Pew pew!

Mined some obsidian, made a skull, and now I can wander around hell without getting killed by the bricks. I ended up making an underground sky bridge of dirt and ash about 1000 blocks long, and plundered half a dozen hell apartments.

Got a demon scythe spell that's badass! I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it could absolutely wreck any boss that likes to stand still a lot, like Skeletron.

I've been backing up my spells with a Muramase and the Space Gun. The Muramase is actually easier to use when you're getting swarmed by bats than the spells.

I think I'm gonna set up a secondary base down in hell. I have about 1500 rope, so maybe I'll just dig a straight tunnel down and rope it so I don't die from the fall. If I can find a path without lava.

This game owns.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

I killed the brain, then realized I had enough vertebrae to summon it again. So I killed it again.

Meteorites started falling so I mined up some Meteor Armor and a Space Gun. Pew pew!

Mined some obsidian, made a skull, and now I can wander around hell without getting killed by the bricks. I ended up making an underground sky bridge of dirt and ash about 1000 blocks long, and plundered half a dozen hell apartments.

Got a demon scythe spell that's badass! I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it could absolutely wreck any boss that likes to stand still a lot, like Skeletron.

I've been backing up my spells with a Muramase and the Space Gun. The Muramase is actually easier to use when you're getting swarmed by bats than the spells.

I think I'm gonna set up a secondary base down in hell. I have about 1500 rope, so maybe I'll just dig a straight tunnel down and rope it so I don't die from the fall. If I can find a path without lava.

This game owns.

The Demon Scythe will also be of GREAT help against the next boss you will have to face. Might need better armor for it, though.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

ConfusedUs posted:

Bring a small lake along with you in the shaft you're digging. It'll let you dig obsidian-lined tunnels through lava.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

ConfusedUs posted:

I beat WoF with Demon Scythe, it's a great spell, especially if you reforge it and back it with the right accessories and armor.

ConfusedUs posted:

You can also just build a 2 x 2 block of water at the bottom to negate fall damage.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to AFK farm Diabolists? I want the Inferno Fork but :effort:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Vib Rib posted:

I've put 74 hours into Terraria in the past two weeks, I have seen exactly zero key drops and zero mold drops I kind of don't believe they exist. I really like a lot of the stuff that was added in with 1.2 but it seems like to experience all the new gear you have to farm for days just to have a chance of seeing it and that's a HUGE turn off for me. If I wanted to grind for infinity I'd go play a korean mmo.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

robziel posted:

I've put 74 hours into Terraria in the past two weeks, I have seen exactly zero key drops and zero mold drops I kind of don't believe they exist. I really like a lot of the stuff that was added in with 1.2 but it seems like to experience all the new gear you have to farm for days just to have a chance of seeing it and that's a HUGE turn off for me. If I wanted to grind for infinity I'd go play a korean mmo.

I've put about 150 legitimate hours into the game since 1.2 not using an editor, but decided last night to bite the bullet and edit in the biome keys. I don't regret it at all. In the all the hours of legitimate play I've seen a biome key drop once, ever. Not worth the time/effort on those.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is better:
Turtle armor and vampire knives.
or
Specter armor and magnet sphere, nimbus, golden shower.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mental Midget posted:

I've put about 150 legitimate hours into the game since 1.2 not using an editor, but decided last night to bite the bullet and edit in the biome keys. I don't regret it at all. In the all the hours of legitimate play I've seen a biome key drop once, ever. Not worth the time/effort on those.

I don't know why in these situations a dev can't put in some kind of incrementing variable, even a totally invisible one, that counts the number of relevant enemies defeated towards drop Z and either makes the item drop at a fixed point or makes the drop chance increase until such time that the probability basically ensures very little chance of Z *not* dropping.

I'm actually not put off by having the gear and boss progression be structured - that's the way it is in most games - but just fighting the RNG is bollocks. The "Korean MMO" comparison was very apt.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Is there a way to AFK farm Diabolists? I want the Inferno Fork but :effort:

TEdit it in is probably your best bet. You could even put it in one of the chests at the very end of the dungeon if you wanted to feel like you earned it or something.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I really wish you could make artificial dungeon biomes. My dungeon only has two wall types and 99% of it is the default wall. :negative: I tried importing wall from another world but after that didn't work I just said screw it and edited the Specter Staff into my inventory.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

DrPlump posted:

What is better:
Turtle armor and vampire knives.
or
Specter armor and magnet sphere, nimbus, golden shower.

Personally I think Specter armor is the best, and I use bat staff, magnet sphere, inferno fork, and sometimes piss. I haven't used turtle armor and vamp knives much other than afking for key molds but vampire knives alone don't really compare to the damage you can put out with spells. This might be different in multiplayer though, since Specter armor won't always be healing you there.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008
Thanks for the mushroom spear suggestions. I got a set of ice armor from a few golems with no issues. Next up is Destroyer!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Haven't had the luck to get vampire knives yet, but the healing from spectre armor basically destroys the alternatives on its own. I like the idea behind shroomite armor but the only time you really aren't constantly moving is farming low level enemies so the bonus is kinda pointless and turtle armor needs more incentive to use it like massively boosted defense or something.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

faptown posted:

Thanks for the mushroom spear suggestions. I got a set of ice armor from a few golems with no issues. Next up is Destroyer!

Note that this doesn't work anymore because Red decreed that it's "too easy". (Destroyer's immune to all debuffs)

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Note that this doesn't work anymore because Red decreed that it's "too easy". (Destroyer's immune to all debuffs)

The Destroyer is still weak as hell to piercing attacks and the shroom spear is a strong weapon so it shouldn't be a problem.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I like the idea behind shroomite armor but the only time you really aren't constantly moving is farming low level enemies so the bonus is kinda pointless and turtle armor needs more incentive to use it like massively boosted defense or something.

I use shroomite armor and the alien halloween costume to gently caress with my friends as they work on things. Judging from their reactions I kind of wish we were using voice chat so I could hear them scream.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The only appropriate weapon to use with the alien costume is the bladed glove.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

robziel posted:

The problem with hardmode, as I see it, is that pre-hardmode, the majority of cool items A were made with B amount of C item, which drops 0-2 per kill off of enemy D. You could still be more or less lucky as enemies had a drop range, but after killing enough you were guaranteed to have what you needed.
Once you reach hardmode, that stops. There's only a few items that use souls of light/night which are generic and come from any enemy, but most of the really outstanding gear isn't crafted from dropped resources, it's just straight up given to you in completed form with like a 0.2% chance per kill. Why not have Sniper Skeletons drop a small range of gun parts on every kill, which can be crafted into a sniper rifle? Or every crimson enemy drops Crimson Essence (more for tougher enemies) which can be eventually crafted into a Crimson Key? Making it all or nothing not only removes crafting which has been a huge part of the game up to this point, it makes farming into grinding and turns the player into an RNG slave.

That's part of why I liked the Story of Red Cloud (sandbox) so much: none of those really badass items you could get were on super rare drops, but on kill progression. And you could still get rare drops which would save you some time by giving you an intermediary item, so you could still feel lucky, but it was never prohibitive like this.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Vib Rib posted:

The problem with hardmode, as I see it, is that pre-hardmode, the majority of cool items A were made with B amount of C item, which drops 0-2 per kill off of enemy D. You could still be more or less lucky as enemies had a drop range, but after killing enough you were guaranteed to have what you needed.
Once you reach hardmode, that stops. There's only a few items that use souls of light/night which are generic and come from any enemy, but most of the really outstanding gear isn't crafted from dropped resources, it's just straight up given to you in completed form with like a 0.2% chance per kill. Why not have Sniper Skeletons drop a small range of gun parts on every kill, which can be crafted into a sniper rifle? Or every crimson enemy drops Crimson Essence (more for tougher enemies) which can be eventually crafted into a Crimson Key? Making it all or nothing not only removes crafting which has been a huge part of the game up to this point, it makes farming into grinding and turns the player into an RNG slave.

That's part of why I liked the Story of Red Cloud (sandbox) so much: none of those really badass items you could get were on super rare drops, but on kill progression. And you could still get rare drops which would save you some time by giving you an intermediary item, so you could still feel lucky, but it was never prohibitive like this.

I hadn't thought about it that way but you are absolutely correct.

Red Cloud has a sandbox mode now? Dang, maybe I'll try and get it working again.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

After finally playing ranged for a while in hard mode, I really wish there were a way to assign individual kind of bullets to each gun/bow, for example having exploding bullets with the shotgun or ichor bullets with the Phoenix Blaster.

Vib Rib posted:

It also completely misses the point of an important aspect of the game: exploring for resources. Resources on kill for the dungeon mobs would really make hard mode dungeon less of a slog.
What's Red's opinion on AFK farming, anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Halloween goodies and stuff are done now :( Not sure if I got all the costumes, but all I have to do is convince my computer it's Oct 31st again to get them to show up, right? Could I also change it to Dec 25th in order to get Santa to show up early?

• Locked thread