Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think it's safe to say people have ran the ChibiSoma poo poo well into the ground at this point, to the point where it's not even funny anymore. Yes, it was absurdly creepy and Tom called him out for it, well done, maybe it'd be best to talk about the comic itself and not "hey that guy three years ago, what a laugh!" every week.

Let's collectively move on, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 236 days!
I started reading some time after chibisoma did his thing, and was glad I found out about it because it's funny as hell.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Same here, and as much as people insist it's been run into the ground, I still find it funny. I'm OK with not mentioning if it really bothers people, however.

So back to the drat comic, what happens tomorrow? I predict Annie arrives and finds Kat either still confused or with the dumbest :haw: grin on her face. Antimony will then proceed to still not get it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm putting unwise money on a slow pan back to Robot looking incredibly jealous.

E:

LouKs posted:

Im with some others, Kat was straight until now... it feels like this has been forced and, for me, kinda ruined Kat as a character. In my opinion it would have been the best for Kat to stay as a single nerd that has as much time as she wants to do her research

:allears: "until now"

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 11, 2013

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Isn't this comic all about Kat and Annie growing up and changing? I mean, romance isn't a factor in some stories and they do great without it, but Kat has been expressing interest in people since the beginning of the comic. Seems like it's more that he doesn't like that she wound up with a gender that she didn't expect.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fecha posted:

Isn't this comic all about Kat and Annie growing up and changing?

It isn't until Tom puts those in big red letters somewhere obvious. It will be the new "it's Eglamore" because people can't rub two brain cells together to figure out obvious stuff.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
It legit makes me sad seeing so many people missing the point so hard :(

Are people just that egocentric, in that they think a "character has been ruined" just because it doesn't conform to their expectations? As if their ideal fiction was completely predictable and conformed exactly to their view of the world. That's boring fiction, man! You see it in this thread too, when people are speculating: so many people thinking the comic will go in x direction, when x is what they think should happen, and not, you know, similar to the kind of thing Gunnerkrigg Court has done in the past.

I don't know, I'd like this comic to go in the way Tom wants to take it, not the way I would take it. That's the entire point of reading fiction!

Anyway, ranting over. This chapter is adorable and a joy to read. Now I'm wishing I had something like this to read when I was 14...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it's fun to treat fiction as a conversation between the reader and the author. The author has his/her intent, and you've got your interpretation. And then you go from there.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think it's fun to treat fiction as a conversation between the reader and the author. The author has his/her intent, and you've got your interpretation. And then you go from there.

Absolutely. I'm not saying you shouldn't interpret the work through your own lens of the world. But imagine a conversation where the other person just agrees with everything you say and doesn't add anything. That might inflate your ego a little bit, but it doesn't bring anything new to your life. It's worthless. I see so many people wanting GC, and fiction in general, to be just like that. As if that was a good thing.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm no expert on author/reader relationships but I'd assume there is some middle point between the extremes of the author doing his own thing without caring for feedback and the opposite of allowing the readers to shape the story. I know it might be dumb to complain about "entitlement" but maybe sometimes the public reacts weirdly when things don't unfold like they feel they had to.

I just like to follow stories as long as I feel they are good, and mostly expect the author to do their thing so I guess I'm pretty passive in that way. When a comic, game or movie just becomes boring I just stop and go do something else (unless it becomes so bad, it turns back to funny in a trainwrecky sort of way) I don't really follow a lot of media so I concede you guys might know a lot more about this, and are probably right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So I decided to read every comment on this comic (because I am insane and stupid and have nothing better to do) and I can guarantee that there is more than enough material for a sequel to Shingeki no PazKat.

I only identified one terrible post that was probably a troll because I recognized the posting style from someone who loves to invade /co/ threads, but there's a lot of genuinely pissy and homophobic people, along with people who inexplicably JUST caught on that this is a romantic relationship.

Some guy wrote a loving 3-part essay at the bottom of the comments.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I cannot believe the Annie/Jack scenes that led to youknowwhat were three years ago. It still feels so recent that Annie discovered she wasn't human, which is probably the biggest revelation in the comic so far and the biggest change a character's had.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

along with people who inexplicably JUST caught on that this is a romantic relationship.

Ahahaha what?! How the hell is this even possible?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Ahahaha what?! How the hell is this even possible?

I don't know, let's ask this guy:

Red posted:

'.' I SO DID NOT EXPECT THIS...lesbian?!?! WHY?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

I'm no expert on author/reader relationships but I'd assume there is some middle point between the extremes of the author doing his own thing without caring for feedback and the opposite of allowing the readers to shape the story. I know it might be dumb to complain about "entitlement" but maybe sometimes the public reacts weirdly when things don't unfold like they feel they had to.

I just like to follow stories as long as I feel they are good, and mostly expect the author to do their thing so I guess I'm pretty passive in that way. When a comic, game or movie just becomes boring I just stop and go do something else (unless it becomes so bad, it turns back to funny in a trainwrecky sort of way) I don't really follow a lot of media so I concede you guys might know a lot more about this, and are probably right?

I didn't mean a direct relationship through actual contact, I meant a conversation/discussion through reading and interpreting the work. Like with any piece of art like a book or movie or poem or whatever.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know, let's ask this guy:

Haha what comic is that guy even reading.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I didn't mean a direct relationship through actual contact, I meant a conversation/discussion through reading and interpreting the work. Like with any piece of art like a book or movie or poem or whatever.

Oh yeah, that's right of course. I mean it's expected and natural that you have to interpret any media you're consuming, otherwise it'd be a robotic act of going though it and saying "welp, media consumption complete, moving to the next comic now"

I just went by Cyphoderus' "add anything" comment and took it as an author and reader feedback thing but I might have misinterpreted it.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Lurdiak posted:

I'm putting unwise money on a slow pan back to Robot looking incredibly jealous.

"Love makes you act in strange ways"

It was played as a bit of a joke in this chapter but it seems possible this relationship is going to sour the whole "angel/creator" thing Kat has going.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Personally, I thought this was the best comment of the bunch.

quote:

I started reading Gunnerkrigg Court because of the fantasy element. Now you're using the comic to explore lesbian relationships. I have nothing against you using your characters anyway you want Tom but turning Kat, who never express any lesbian affections before into one? A previous comment pointed out that Kat had express feelings for boys before. Is this your way of promoting gay relationships? Too many shows, books, and movies these days are throwing gay characters into the story for no good reason. I have nothing against characters being gay, but most of the time it feels like the writers throw them in just to promote a cause. Like how J.K. Rowling mentioned Dumbledore is gay after all the books were published. Where did that come from? Why did it need to be established? If it had any relevance to the story fine, but it didn't just like I feel Kat's sudden lesbian interest serves no purpose. When are you getting back to Annie and her adventures?
Still mad about gay Dumbledore

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I started reading during the beginning of Fire Spike. This? This cliffhanger is nothing to me. Nothing! You hear me Tom?

ohgodineedmyfix

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

IronicDongz posted:

Personally, I thought this was the best comment of the bunch.
Still mad about gay Dumbledore

I find the phrase 'turning Kat into a lesbian' really funny for reasons I can't fully describe. Some kind of mix of 'she's a fictional character, it's not like she had a natural default' and invoking lesbianism in a manner similar to vampirism. Kat has been turned!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly I think Robot would be less jealous and more concerned about how exactly this new entity should fit into the canon

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rasamune posted:

Honestly I think Robot would be less jealous and more concerned about how exactly this new entity should fit into the canon

Paz is gonna get Mary Magdelyne'd so hard by the patriarchal robot church. :(

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
:3: That is the single most adoreable page of the entire comic :3:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Oh man, Paz's face right there :kimchi:

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Upgraded from :3: to :kimchi: real quick here

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Wait a minute, Kat never voiced aloud her concern that they're just hanging out as friends. Mind reader confirmed?!

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Well that's just taking me back to this page. :3:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

:drat: that's some good :unsmith:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Help it's too adorable :kimchi: (still waiting on some other shoe to drop here, but I don't think any theory I've heard so far is correct :ohdear:).

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
This is getting a bit too lewd here. I think we all need to just cool down. :colbert:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Fecha posted:

Wait a minute, Kat never voiced aloud her concern that they're just hanging out as friends. Mind reader confirmed?!

I think the idea here is that Paz was worrying about the same things too.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Carrasco posted:

I figured. But I kinda liked that crazy theory.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Carrasco posted:

Props to Paz for always taking the leap of faith so far. Kat needs to catch up!

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Rasamune posted:

Oh man, Paz's face right there :kimchi:

:3:

Not just friends?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Oh, Kat's face in that first panel. Just as I was worried I'd be running out of my allotment of :3:s, Tom goes and upgrades things to :kimchi:.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fecha posted:

She vocally called Paz her friend to the Seraphs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aww shucks. :3: That's really all I can say.

I might change my mind in the morning, but.... tentatively reserving this one, please hold off on buying it for like 24 hours.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Smooth, Donlan. Very smooth. :kimchi:

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Lurdiak posted:

Aww shucks. :3: That's really all I can say.

I might change my mind in the morning, but.... tentatively reserving this one, please hold off on buying it for like 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Milli posted:

Whaaaat. :aaa: