Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I just finished purging Something Lawful of anyone who wasn't on in the last 30 days. Now we are down to 60 players with half of them being alts. Is Terrible Secret of Neverwinter still around and active ? In DnDgoons I see maybe 1-2 players during GMT evenings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Purge the unclean!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Richard M Nixon posted:

Purge the unclean!

Unfortunately there's almost no one left to purge.

toa5t
Apr 12, 2004

Of course I am.
hoping for an uptick in people playing with the next module release

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.

toa5t posted:

hoping for an uptick in people playing with the next module release

I have three friends who won't play until the ranger comes out. I'm just glad I got character slots back when zen exchange rate was lower. It's so high now-a-days.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I'm still logging in but mostly just to do crafting and rake in huge piles of diamonds because that's what happens when you have three characters with maxed leadership. But yeah I'll check Terrible Secret, but I kind of doubt it needs much purging.

I dunno, I'm kind of over nobody playing. I've always maintained that you should play until it's not fun any more. :kiddo:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Semisponge posted:

I'm still logging in but mostly just to do crafting and rake in huge piles of diamonds because that's what happens when you have three characters with maxed leadership. But yeah I'll check Terrible Secret, but I kind of doubt it needs much purging.

I dunno, I'm kind of over nobody playing. I've always maintained that you should play until it's not fun any more. :kiddo:

Definitely, but I need my fantasy mmo fix again and still find this game kinda fun. I would just love to do some dungeon stuff with goons again and socialize a bit more. Pubbies and pugging is terrible in this game and I would like to be part of a functioning guild.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Semisponge posted:

The highest-level gear I have on my main is 32, and I just hit 57 yesterday via Leadership. It's good to know that if I ever want to get back into it, it will be easy, though.

Do you run Heroes or Adventurers, Semisponge? I've been trying to figure out if it's worth investing in Heroes for the long-term or not; they're so expensive, it seems like it would take them a long-rear end time to pay for themselves, but since they don't bind, they're an asset rather than an expense (i.e. you can resell them down the line, assuming the bottom doesn't fall out of the market).

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

The highest-level gear I have on my main is 32, and I just hit 57 yesterday via Leadership. It's good to know that if I ever want to get back into it, it will be easy, though.

Do you run Heroes or Adventurers, Semisponge? I've been trying to figure out if it's worth investing in Heroes for the long-term or not; they're so expensive, it seems like it would take them a long-rear end time to pay for themselves, but since they don't bind, they're an asset rather than an expense (i.e. you can resell them down the line, assuming the bottom doesn't fall out of the market).

Speaking of abusing the gateway, does any of you use the various automated scripts? It seems like if one worked it'd be a convenient way to min-max your leadership/AD yield but I wouldn't know where to begin.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Thanatosian posted:

I use Adventurers that I've gotten from leadership packs on my main character, but I just use plain white guys on everyone else. Ultimately they're not worth the expense of buying since all they do is cut down the time down a little and when all the high tier stuff takes 8-12 hours and I only bother looking at my crafting once or twice a day it's just not worth it.

:siren: SPEAKING OF MARKETS: now is the time to start hoarding up Zen because the price will spike up when the module is released.

I've been reading up on the new module and it seems pretty promising so far. I'm still a little bitter about the fighter paragon paths but for the most part I'm looking forward to it. I'll see about writing up a post about it soon.

houseofmangle
May 18, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

I just finished purging Something Lawful of anyone who wasn't on in the last 30 days. Now we are down to 60 players with half of them being alts. Is Terrible Secret of Neverwinter still around and active ? In DnDgoons I see maybe 1-2 players during GMT evenings.

My five characters are all in Terrible Secret but as I'm mainly just invoking and re-upping tradeskills I wasn't going to worry till post module.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With the changes to wards/enchantments, I wonder if it's still going to be worth it to hold out for the seven-day celestial coin thing instead of the five-day one anymore. It sounds like the new system might devalue coalescent wards significantly...? Or am I mistaken?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
You still need coalescent wards to avoid losing 'catalysts'. In addition to 'marks' (white to purple quality, price uncertain), purple enchantments require other, identical enchantments as catalysts. They might go a tiny bit cheaper, but I wouldn't expect a huge change.

If anything, I think preservation wards will go up in price, as it will be a lot easier to figure out if they're worth using.

The 5-day thing is pretty much worthless anyway, what with the complete lack of stuff worth crafting that uses blue resources. There's what, blue pants with a slot instead of purple pants with a slot? But they both require blue/purple tools, and dragon eggs are still down at around 30k AD.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
NEW STUFF!

I'm waiting til release instead of playing on the test server, so if anyone who has wants to add or clarify things please do so.

Hunter Ranger Class

A combined ranged/melee class. Tab is used to switch between ranged or melee, and dailies don't necessarily cost 100% of your AP. It's still in beta and being balanced but people seem to like it so far.

New Paragon Paths

All the existing classes will get new paragon paths. Each path has one new at-will, one new encounter power, and one new daily, as well as three new class features and three new feats.

Wizard: Master of Flame A fire tree that focuses on damage over control. Targets get stacks of Smolder. Smolder deals damage over time, and if target is affected by Chill, it gains Rimefire aspect, allowing its duration to be refreshed by Chill effects.

Cleric: Anointed Champion A selection of party buffs with few active healing spells.

Rogue: Whisperknife Focuses on combat advantage, and has a power that knocks the target prone, because rogues weren't annoying enough already.

Guardian Fighter/Great Weapon Fighter Get each others paragon paths. I initially was pretty unhappy about this but after thinking about it having Threatening Rush on my GWF sounds rad as heck. Also they're buffing Wicked Strike. Uhhh I don't really care about GF but it seems like it might be all right as well.

New Content: Shadowmantle

AKA The Dread Ring Campaign, which is probably a lot like Sharandar. Other than that I don't know much about it except blah blah blah Valindra blah.

Collection System

You get to see all the crap you could be grinding for. I'm guessing it's like the Sharandar rewards page only expanded to everywhere.

Refinement System

This one is a little confusing, but instead of fusing together four enchantments to get the next level of enchantment, you fuse them into just one to give it Refinement Points. Once it's accrued enough Refinement Points to level up you refine it which uses a catalyst. This has a chance of failure, but failure will only consume the catalyst and leave the enchantment unharmed. Successful refinement costs AD. On the other hand, unsocketing will now cost gold instead of AD. Still unknown: how hard it will be to get catalysts and how wards fit in to this new scheme.

Active Companion Bonuses

As far as I can tell this means companions that are "active" but not summoned will give a small boost in stats or whatever. Basically just encouraging you to buy more companions and buy more active companion slots.

Artifacts

These are new items that give you a bonus power and varying amounts of stats, based on quality. They level up via some kind of refinement system and can be upgraded in quality up to three times. At current they are planning on usable in PVP.

Sword Coast Adventures

A minigame on the Gateway whereby you send your companions off on little quests and click on dice or something. You get gold "and other stuff" for successfully completing it. I dunno, maybe it'll be cool?

Semisponge fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 6, 2013

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Semisponge posted:

Active Companion Bonuses

As far as I can tell this means companions that are "active" but not summoned will give a small boost in stats or whatever. Basically just encouraging you to buy more companions and buy more active companion slots.

A very small bonus. The white companions, for example, give +25 to one stat. An ioun stone of allure gives +105 to life steal and deflect. Some of the purple companion bonuses are sort of nice.

The biggest change to the enchantment system is that even worthless types (e.g. training runestones, or shards of fireburst) will give half as much RP as something good (like a vorpal shard). So don't sell shards off for a pittance, they'll all be pretty valuable pretty soon.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Okay, that's neat, but more importantly: when the hell are Warlocks coming out? I heard on the grapevine that the next class to be released is some kind of druid, but around the time of release I kept hearing that the first two new classes were going to be Ranger and Warlock. :smith:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

packetmantis posted:

Okay, that's neat, but more importantly: when the hell are Warlocks coming out? I heard on the grapevine that the next class to be released is some kind of druid, but around the time of release I kept hearing that the first two new classes were going to be Ranger and Warlock. :smith:

The article linked a while back said that they're about ~50% on the next class in the pipeline and that they're going to start working on druids next. I might just be reading too far into the wording but to me that implies there's another class slated to come out before the druid, and if that's the case I think warlocks may in fact be the next one we'll see.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So there is the one daily for 10 sparks, and the one weekly for 50 sparks. Is that it for spark collection?

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I'm not sure about the latest lockbox, but the one before that had Illefarn Relics which would give you some sparks. 10 I think? Can't remember. Hell, I can't even remember what the name of the lockbox is.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Semisponge posted:

I'm not sure about the latest lockbox, but the one before that had Illefarn Relics which would give you some sparks. 10 I think? Can't remember. Hell, I can't even remember what the name of the lockbox is.

Of course that would require, opening lock boxes.

I saw the vendor that took the relics, but had no idea where they came from.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I hit level 60 :toot:

Now what? I've tried Sharandar, and have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to do in Gauntlgrym...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to mass-delete in-game messages or mass-retrieve attachments? I'm buying a bunch of stuff, and it takes for-loving-ever.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Nope! You will suffer and like it :cryptic:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So the timers on unlocking new content, after you've already spent a week or more (depending on how often you play) collecting the items needed to do the unlock, are pretty dumb.

I'm fairly certain that I can directly link those timers that say "gently caress you, you are done playing for the day!" to my almost completely not playing this game anymore.

I finally got the final ward done, collected enough sparks to open the next thing up.. bam, come back in 17 hours.

Also, I have no idea what sort of hosed up clock they use for the invocation daily timer, but if I play one day (say on a weekend) in the middle of the day, and then the next day I don't log in until after work, once again "gently caress you, we took the 6 shiny coins you had saved up, start over!".

This is almost completely a browser based leadership game for me now because of these stupid timers.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

So the timers on unlocking new content, after you've already spent a week or more (depending on how often you play) collecting the items needed to do the unlock, are pretty dumb.

I'm fairly certain that I can directly link those timers that say "gently caress you, you are done playing for the day!" to my almost completely not playing this game anymore.

I finally got the final ward done, collected enough sparks to open the next thing up.. bam, come back in 17 hours.

Also, I have no idea what sort of hosed up clock they use for the invocation daily timer, but if I play one day (say on a weekend) in the middle of the day, and then the next day I don't log in until after work, once again "gently caress you, we took the 6 shiny coins you had saved up, start over!".

This is almost completely a browser based leadership game for me now because of these stupid timers.
You have to check in at least every 24 hours for the invocation. So, if you only check in once a day, you are pretty much guaranteed to miss it at some point; I ran into the same issue you did, so now I make a habit of invoking twice a day.

And yeah, it's pretty much a browser-based Leadership game for me, too. That, and recently a bit of playing the auction house; I'mma try to make some crystals off the new expansion changes.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Celestial coins disappear something like 28 hours after you last invoke. You can get away with logging in once a day, but it needs to be at roughly the same time each day.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dilb posted:

Celestial coins disappear something like 28 hours after you last invoke. You can get away with logging in once a day, but it needs to be at roughly the same time each day.
I would swear that at one point, I went, like, 25 or 26 hours or so, and ended up losing them.

Then again, that could have been changed by now, or I could have just hosed up on what I thought my timing was versus what it actually was.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I was considering reinstalling this now that my new computer can probably run it at max settings, but the website wants me to install some Arc thing? Is this some sort of Pando Media Booster bullshit?

I never did try control wizards...

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

WarLocke posted:

So I was considering reinstalling this now that my new computer can probably run it at max settings, but the website wants me to install some Arc thing? Is this some sort of Pando Media Booster bullshit?

There is a direct link off of the website to get the client without the arc bloatware, check earlier in the thread or I'll post the link later once I get home. Check my posts, someone linked it for me in this thread.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hammerstein posted:

Secret pro strat: the new refinement system works like an exp bar. And a cheap level 7 training runestone gives just as much exp as a more expensive type. So now might be the time to buy out all the cheap crappy ones from the AH and turn a profit later.

I'm tempted to do this a bit -- is it worth it if it's just to the tune of say 250K AD? it looks like that's only a handful of level 7 training stones. Maybe there's another sweet spot...

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

WarLocke posted:

http://download.perfectworld.com/nw/neverwinter_setup.exe

This is the link that was given to me earlier, and I can confirm I am 100% ARC free.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

WebDO posted:

http://download.perfectworld.com/nw/neverwinter_setup.exe

This is the link that was given to me earlier, and I can confirm I am 100% ARC free.

Well poo poo, I already caved and installed Arc last night (so it could download/patch overnight.

Is the standalone installer smart enough to find the Neverwinter install under Arc? Or should I just settle with the setup I have now?

Orv
May 4, 2011
So here's a dumb question. What's the PvP in this? During beta I saw the timer for a level 60 PvP thing every half hour or whatever but I never actually got around to doing any once. What's the dealio or is it DOA?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Well poo poo, I already caved and installed Arc last night (so it could download/patch overnight.

Is the standalone installer smart enough to find the Neverwinter install under Arc? Or should I just settle with the setup I have now?

Mine re-installed when I got rid of Arc. Your mileage may vary.. yadda yadda..

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Orv posted:

So here's a dumb question. What's the PvP in this? During beta I saw the timer for a level 60 PvP thing every half hour or whatever but I never actually got around to doing any once. What's the dealio or is it DOA?

Two types of PvP exist. One is a standard 5v5 arena with 3 points to capture. Keep the points to win. The second is the one that is only active during certain times of the day. You will join one of two factions based on your guild (GM chooses the faction) and you can enter into the area to fight when the event is open. It consists of two 30 minute events, one following the other. The first is a PvE event where you collect/kill things and whichever group does the most gets a buff for the PvP phase. Phase 2 is a 20v20 map where you fight over 5(?) points around the map. There are many 20v20s going on at once and your instance's progress affects the overall server progress, with the winning faction getting access to a tier 2 (and tier 1) dungeon for 30 minutes, while the losing faction gets a tier 1 dungeon for 30 minutes. While the PvP is going on, there is a simultaneous PvE event that provides a few benefits to the PvP battleground, like random AoE attacks and a friendly NPC to wander around and be useless.

It's fun but not amazing. Good gear, though.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

When you are using the gateway and you login to the actual game, can you still use the gateway to change tasks outside of the game or does the Gateway log you out and you have to re-login after your session?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Big patch (~400M?) for piddly poo poo, huh.

Patch Notes posted:

New Event! Call to Arms: Pit Fight

The Vellosk skirmish will be open to players from level 6 – 60, where you can earn prizes including another new set of weapon skins!

Items and Economy
  • Ethereal Skies Dye Pack is now consistently named correctly.
  • Mask of Sharress now fits better and has less clipping with all races including elves of all subspecies. Purr-fect. (Ed: see below regarding IMPORTANT OUTSTANDING ISSUE.)

Performance and Graphics
  • Fixed a client crash that could rarely occur from some projectile attacks interacting oddly with other entities. NVIDIA 3DVision now works better with some shadows not being visible in both eyes at certain angles.

User Interface
  • There are no longer shard selection references on character select now that the shards have merged.
  • Added Portuguese to language options, which can be selected in the Options menu on the Launcher. (Currently in Beta )

EDIT: Apparently for some people some Foundry missions instacrash them when they enter the area ("Tired of being the hero" was cited).

Also, IMPORTANT OUTSTANDING ISSUE:

Pubbie Moderator Wat posted:

Please note, Sharess is spelled with one "r," not two. I reported this both in game and on the forums. Never-the-less, very glad the clipping issue is fixed as, despite the horrible misspelling (yeah, I'm a long time fan of Sharess/Bastet in FR Lore), I love this mask!

Presumably they patched in a ton of the assets for mod2 this time too; some people reported 1.1G of patch.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 14, 2013

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Virigoth posted:

When you are using the gateway and you login to the actual game, can you still use the gateway to change tasks outside of the game or does the Gateway log you out and you have to re-login after your session?

You can use it, except AFAICT buying supplies from the interface doesn't work when you're logged in. Not sure if selling to the vendor does, that would be handy sometimes.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Yup I'm one of those people who crash out when trying to play foundries. I imagine there'll be a hotfix patch asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I can't even SEE foundry missions, the list is entirely blank.

In other news, Control Wizard is pretty cool. They definitely got the 'oomph' right with the spells. The kind of blast/shock as Ray of Frost starts up gets me every time. :allears:

CW seems pretty fragile so far (just made 10/got to Tower District) though, I guess I'll be buying a lot of pots.

So this Call to Arms thing, apparently I can do it at any level? And you can get a mount or weapon skins from it? Will I outlevel a bunch of content if I just do it over and over until I get the mount (the weapons I can pass on, but a free mount sounds nice)?

And actually, can you outlevel/miss content at all? I know I've found a few lore clickies in instanced missions I guess I wouldn't be able to go back and get if I had missed them...

• Locked thread