Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

LightsGameraAction posted:

It's partly how caught off guard they were by the runaway success of the Marvel movies, and partly that they want to mimic the success without putting in even half of the effort. Avengers was a huge, huge investment and undertaking, but it was the result of years of careful planning and structuring an entire cinematic universe that would lead logically into an Avengers movie. Not hiring A-listers, not using A-list directors, doing their best to save money as much as possible where they could to ensure the quality of the films themselves.

DC looks at this and says that just because they're DC they can of course do what Marvel can do better. But they want to do it without any kind of long-term planning, using A-list actors and A-list directors and in general throwing as much money into every project as they can. If the JLA movie ever gets made it's going to be the most incoherent, expensive mess of a movie since Michael Bay's Transformers films and that's even assuming that Michael Bay isn't going to direct it, which isn't all that unlikely a possibility.

Hmm a Justice League directed by Michael Bay would probably be the greatest thing ever. Just the sheer spectacle and bullshit he would come up with would be worth the price of admission. I don't know if it would be a good movie. But It would probably be worth watching at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Michael Bay would be loving amazing to direct JLA, no poo poo. I know people hate him for whatever reason, but I enjoy the hell out of the Transformer movies and enjoy all the movies he's made.

Michael Bay is way better than Zack Snyder.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here

muscles like this? posted:

Obviously this should be taken with a huge grain of salt but Kevin Smith has claimed to have seen Affleck in the new Batman costume and he's saying its in a completely different direction than previous movie versions.
I think that they might go with the heavy duty industrial armor, like in the end of Dark Knight Returns. I mean, Batman and Superman are gonna have to fight each other at some point in this thing right?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Dexo posted:

Hmm a Justice League directed by Michael Bay would probably be the greatest thing ever. Just the sheer spectacle and bullshit he would come up with would be worth the price of admission. I don't know if it would be a good movie. But It would probably be worth watching at least once.

I would watch Super Pain and Gain. Or Super Bad Boys II.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lobok posted:

It's interesting to note too when Marvel started making movies, before Disney bought them. They took out a massive loan and became a studio themselves so they had to move things along with a $500 million loan hanging over their heads.
It should never stop being noted that Marvel had to take a massive gamble to risk everything making an Iron Man movie, of all things, because they already sold off their most marketable franchises. They had to make their own studio. They had to cut publishing deals. They could easily have gone bankrupt.

Meanwhile, DC has been owned by Warner Brothers, which has its own studio and publishes its own movies, since 1967. They could have been doing shared-universe stuff at literally any point. They still have the movie rights to all their characters.

And they've let Marvel eat their loving lunch. It's frankly unbelievable that heads haven't rolled at DC and WB for this poo poo. Five years after Iron Man and DC's best is "oh God just throw everything into Superman 2, that's the same thing as a carefully planned buildup over five solo movies, right, good enough, poo poo can we shove Wonder Woman in there too"?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I'd love to see a Michael Bay directed superhero movie, as long as he had no creative control over the script.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

And they've let Marvel eat their loving lunch. It's frankly unbelievable that heads haven't rolled at DC and WB for this poo poo. Five years after Iron Man and DC's best is "oh God just throw everything into Superman 2, that's the same thing as a carefully planned buildup over five solo movies, right, good enough, poo poo can we shove Wonder Woman in there too"?

Because quite frankly Batman and Superman are such enormous franchises that DC could probably live forever just off those two properties. There's no imperative for them to expand their cinematic universe, save all of pop-culture staring at them inquisitively as Marvel pops out blockbuster after blockbuster. It's more of a passing fancy to them, and a way for WB to work their stars into high profile action movies, and the reaction to Green Lantern probably cooled them on getting experimental with it a decent bit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nadir posted:

I think that they might go with the heavy duty industrial armor, like in the end of Dark Knight Returns. I mean, Batman and Superman are gonna have to fight each other at some point in this thing right?

The quote makes it sound like they are going in the opposite direction. Warning Kevin Smith talk:

quote:

You have not seen this costume in film before. Because every other movie has done this Matrix-y black armor thing... There wasn't a single nipple on this loving suit, man. I think everyone is gonna be like 'Holy poo poo! We haven't been down this path before.' Even the hardest-core 'gently caress this movie' person will be like, 'All right, I'm ready!'

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CapnAndy posted:

It should never stop being noted that Marvel had to take a massive gamble to risk everything making an Iron Man movie, of all things, because they already sold off their most marketable franchises. They had to make their own studio. They had to cut publishing deals. They could easily have gone bankrupt.

Meanwhile, DC has been owned by Warner Brothers, which has its own studio and publishes its own movies, since 1967. They could have been doing shared-universe stuff at literally any point. They still have the movie rights to all their characters.

What I like is that Marvel is still gambling. After Phase 1, and making movies that are all relatively safe, and standard. With Phase 2 it seems like they are giving the Directors much more leeway to make the movie that they want to make in the universe with just a few set guidelines from Feige and Whedon to make sure the characters are in the right place to position the next Avengers movie. Also they are making a goddamn Guardians of the Galaxy movie. If that is a success then just about anything is on the table for Marvel.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The quote makes it sound like they are going in the opposite direction. Warning Kevin Smith talk:

It's been a while since I've seen Ben Affleck shirtless but I didn't really think he had the physique to pull of a seamless body suit look, which is kind of what Kevin Smith seems to be hinting at.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Because quite frankly Batman and Superman are such enormous franchises that DC could probably live forever just off those two properties. There's no imperative for them to expand their cinematic universe, save all of pop-culture staring at them inquisitively as Marvel pops out blockbuster after blockbuster.
Yeah, but that's one movie every two years, reboot after each trilogy. They can live off that, sure. Marvel, meanwhile, has two movies a year and a rising tide that's lifted all boats to the ridiculous high-water mark that has them about to put out a movie about a team of space aliens that includes a talking raccoon and a giant tree. And it's gonna open at #1 at the box office.

Maybe instead of two franchises, DC would like to have... more than that? I mean I'm no businessman but it seems like four smash hits every two years is better than one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's been a while since I've seen Ben Affleck shirtless but I didn't really think he had the physique to pull of a seamless body suit look, which is kind of what Kevin Smith seems to be hinting at.

Ben Affleck is a big dude and was pretty jacked in The Town.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ben Affleck is Teerry McGinnis. Mystery solved.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Maaaan I would have been down for that. Who is old man Bruce Wayne, then?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

Maaaan I would have been down for that. Who is old man Bruce Wayne, then?

Clint Eastwood.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Christian Bale in bad makeup.

Or maybe they'll come close to my dream of DKR with Adam West

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

teagone posted:

Ben Affleck is a big dude and was pretty jacked in The Town.

He also dropped a few projects so he could focus on getting into shape.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

I would love a Batmam movie with even an Adam West cameo.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
Hmmm...I just wonder how Batman would be able to take on Superman in a light leather suit or something equally minimalistic. I mean, The Man of Steel Superman is definitely the most powerful Superman on film thus far. I thought this was gonna be a Lex Luthor/Bruce Wayne super tech team up against him, but who knows

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Opopanax posted:

Where is Rachel, evildoer?

Where is she?!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Keep in mind, this is the same Kevin Smith that promised us that no really, Episode III was going to be awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's why my original post said to take it with a grain of salt.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sockser posted:

Ben Affleck is Teerry McGinnis. Mystery solved.

Holy poo poo man, that would be so incredible. There's no way - it makes too much sense. It could never happen.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I can see the rumors of Wonder Woman and the Flash, etc. working if they unfold one of the themes of Man of Steel: the whole narrative of revealing oneself to the world when oneself has superhuman powers.

If Batman's aware of the existence of other superhumans who are keeping quiet and staying out of the way, and he thinks that this is the best path to take, then he's going to be a little nonplussed at this dude with superpowers on TV all the time. It fits his character - "secretive" is pretty high on the list of adjectives I'd use to describe Batman - and it lets Wonder Woman and the Flash and the like make brief cameos as the kind of people Batman talks about when he talks about how superhumans have to stay on the down-low.

Alternately, maybe the rumors are just rumors, or they'll surprise me with a good idea that I'd have never thought of, or it'll be a bad idea and I'll still watch it because Cavill and Adams are back and I'll mark out for them any day of the week.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dexo posted:

What I like is that Marvel is still gambling. After Phase 1, and making movies that are all relatively safe, and standard. With Phase 2 it seems like they are giving the Directors much more leeway to make the movie that they want to make in the universe with just a few set guidelines from Feige and Whedon to make sure the characters are in the right place to position the next Avengers movie. Also they are making a goddamn Guardians of the Galaxy movie. If that is a success then just about anything is on the table for Marvel.

If they can make a movie with a talking racoon who could be an NRA spokesperson and an talking tree that can only say "I am Groot", they can make a movie about a mystical king from Africa with Panther Powers and magic metal claws, a hot lady airforce pilot with gets alien DNA and becomes almost as strong as the Hulk and Thor and a arrogant surgeon who becomes a wizard.

Amy Adams is my favorite Lois Lane, but then Rachael McAdams was okay, but I absolutely hate Margot Kidder. Shrill is not an adjective I'd associate with Lois Lane.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dana Delaney best Lois. :colbert:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Kate Bosworth, worst Lois and I will hear no back-talk on the matter :colbert:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It is totally not my fault but my mom watched a ton of Lois and Clark so I feel like default human lois is Teri Hatcher to me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Elizabeth Olsen confirmed as Scarlet Witch.

edit:
Unfortunate accidental trivia: She will also be in next year's Godzilla, where her character's husband will be played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson who is also Quicksilver in Age of Ultron.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 12, 2013

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Now to see the costume. I'm not too worried about QS because his is pretty basic, onsie with a lightnning bolt.

Ignite Memories posted:

It is totally not my fault but my mom watched a ton of Lois and Clark so I feel like default human lois is Teri Hatcher to me.

I'm still stuck on the one from the 40s.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I figure the costume will look something like the comic costume now. Long red coat. The question is if they'll have her wear the headdress.

stickywaffles
Nov 9, 2013
If guardians of the galaxy somehow manages to pull off a win, then I feel ghostbusters 3 should be doable.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is Wanda's current outfit, so expect the movie version to be based on it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If I had to guess, I'd say they're not going to include the headpiece. Maybe she'll get a red hairband but not that thing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The MSJ posted:

It's probably her best costume ever, too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The MSJ posted:

Yea, I am an obessive Scarlet Witch fan, though not as much as I am a Carol Danvers fan, and I hope that's her outfit. It has a very noir fem fatal look to it. Much better than her origonal 60s swimsuit, all the roma inspired ones or her pink bodysuit with red one piece over it thing.

But the headress is the iconic thing about her, its like not having Tony's goatee or Cap being the whitest person ever.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

That's why my original post said to take it with a grain of salt.

Suggested salt grain size as follows

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

twistedmentat posted:

But the headress is the iconic thing about her, its like not having Tony's goatee or Cap being the whitest person ever.

It's going to be a pointy red hairband, the whole thing would look really stupid.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Whizbang posted:

It's going to be a pointy red hairband, the whole thing would look really stupid.

So did Cap's helmet and that didn't stop them in the first Avengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Whizbang posted:

People said a talking raccoon with a machine gun would look stupid, but GUESS WHAT!

• Locked thread