Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Something stood out to me in the livestream, and I wanted to ask for other views on it:

There is a slot for a Path ability on the action bar. They said they have re-worked Path abilities so they are all out-of-combat effects. Out of combat, you can freely swap the abilities in your LAS. So, what is the purpose of having a Path slot? Shouldn't they just remove Path abilities from the LAS system (and make all your Path abilities freely usable) if they are only out-of-combat now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Carbon Deity posted:

Some cool UI elements, etc. from the stream:

http://imgur.com/a/EKcCq

Haha holy poo poo that "level up" graphic

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

Not only that, but there was a really over the top voice over to accompany it. I may have misunderstood, but I believe each individual level has its own voice over as well.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Eonwe posted:

I may have misunderstood, but I believe each individual level has its own voice over as well.

That's what they said - they also mentioned something like having to re-record one of the levels because of profanity

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

It was simply that the profanity wasn't bleeped in the version put into the game files for an internal build, If I remember the stream right.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a video of the stream posted anywhere? I missed it this weekend but would still like to see it.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Its on their warrior class page.

tjume
Feb 8, 2009
^ http://www.twitch.tv/wildstar/c/3217669

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
That tier 1-8 upgrade for each skill with the line that says 'major upgrades' at 4 and 8 tells me that they have a 3-tier upgrade scheme that they're trying to stretch over twice as many level ups.

The guy who figured out how to turn the 50 skill hotbar into the 8 skill bar needs to get on their talent mechanic and cut some of that crap.

If all your 'minor' upgrades are +n/N% and your 'major' ones are barely interesting, you really need to give up on the minor ones.

I'm honestly not crazy about upgrading abilities, anyway. They're already abilities, right? Put the poo poo they do *in* there.

After how many years, Wow finally figured out to stop giving people the 'option' of +blah % to skill, and start *just* calling the player in to decide when it's a matter of personal preference or a really hard decision to make that isn't immediately apparent in the numbers (assuming you understand the numbers).

And even wow isn't getting it right all the time. Still. They went from how many talents in a talent tree on average to like... 10 real choices between 3 branches, + a *major* flavor choice, + glyphs which collect game changing stuff with silly fun experiential stuff.

I kind of think the nut is cracked on that one. Why reinvent this ladder system crap yet again. I'd almost rather just see those things passively level up as I use them, like 'weapon skill' used to.

Note: I do not actually want to see that.

In summary, hoverboards need their own skill tree. I'm picturing a choice between grinding, air, and lip tricks. Obviously you can choose to generalize to increase your total combo points, or you can specialize and really nail the sustain.

Compete in events to unlock special board designs. Create and trade your own board patterns like the custom car paint jobs in Forza.

Hoverboards include a slot for gameplay upgrades such as:
-Jetwall: Your hoverboard leaves a solid wall of light behind which cannot be crossed by players for 10 seconds.
-Tow cable: Your hoverboard can attach itself to any other model in the game and get dragged along
-jet boots: Your hoverboard breaks into a pair of hover skates, and gives you a triple-jump in exchange for lower top speed.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Macaluso posted:

http://seenive.com/v/1009628700729368576

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

There's a balance that can be reached. I think WoW has swung the pendulum too far the other way and now the characters are even more "cookie" cutter and there's nothing to distinguish you as Paladin #27272 from Paladin #27273.

One of the ways Blizzard shot themselves in the foot with Diablo 3 (And there were plenty) was by dumbing down the skill tree system so much that it didn't matter anymore. Skills meant practically nothing in there and how you slotted them was a joke.

Conversely (And maybe as a reaction to the retarded skill system of D3) Path of Exile's skill tree (forest) system is so complex it'll make your face melt, and it feels like a real skill system.

For my 2 cents, you don't make me more invested in my character (and thus the game) by removing my ability to customize how my character's powers work. Does it really matter if I get a +1% damage versus a +1% Accuracy, probably not. But I still like having that choice. Dumbing a game down doesn't make it better.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Keeping it overly complex doesn't either. What needs to be done is to make choice actually matter, the problem with most mmos is that there is no choice and that most classes have only 1 viable build. It doesn't matter if there are 10 or 100 skills, if there's only 1 build that works, adding or taking away skills doesn't change anything.

Unfortunately, I don't think Wildstar is going to be able to find the solution for this problem.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Lyer posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think Wildstar is going to be able to find the solution for this problem.

Do you think anyone can or has found the solution?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Not in the immediately future, I think a big part of it is having to balance between PvE/PvP. Even in PvP only games (fighting games come to mind), there are still big imbalances between the characters. It's just something that requires a lot of time and testing and most companies don't have the resources or desire to really hammer it down. Making it "viable" is good enough for most of them.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

tjume posted:

Hmm can't find anything about a cash shop / micro-transactions on that site. Subscription and a cash shop would be too much for me.
I don't have a link, but they said awhile ago that only cash shop item at release will be the CREDD. However they're not ruling out the possibility of a cash shop down the road.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Bumbler posted:

I don't have a link, but they said awhile ago that only cash shop item at release will be the CREDD. However they're not ruling out the possibility of a cash shop down the road.

Is there an NCSoft game that doesn't have a cash shop?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Korlac posted:

Do you think anyone can or has found the solution?

The solution is years of tuning.

No release game has that. They never do. In a game without character progression and timedumps to change your setup, it's fine because you can just play the most optimal stuff until they fix it.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Pesterchum posted:

Is there an NCSoft game MMO in the last three years that doesn't have a cash shop?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Carbon Deity posted:

Some cool UI elements, etc. from the stream:

http://imgur.com/a/EKcCq

That UI is pretty, really pretty. :allears:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
God damnit, to think I was never going to pay a subscription based MMO ever again.

loving Hoverboards. :argh:

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Everyone keep an eye on your email, just got a winter beta invite!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Rasta_Al posted:

Looked in my inbox and seems like I missed the Survey. >_<

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Rasta_Al posted:

I is the saddest.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Rasta_Al posted:

I didn't get an invite, but I got an email telling me that I can find local sluts easy.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Robzilla posted:

I didn't get an invite, but I got an email telling me that I can find local sluts easy.

That's nothing, I got an Arenanet phishing scam for GW2. I don't have a GW2 account.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

gently caress you Wildstar. I didn't even wanna play your gay game.... :smith:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

If you're a new invite you should have extra keys to give away.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Odd - I didn't get an invite but was under the impression that I should be getting one...

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
It is kind of odd that the stress testers didn't get beta keys before the second round. Luckily my friend got one and it comes with 2 extra beta keys for friends. I hope this means that a lot of people who are wanting to play get the opportunity to because this might be the best MMO for a while (until EQ Next at least)!

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I don't think I ever felt pure jealousy until now :(

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Boy howdy the begging will soon begin.

Edit: Apparently it comes with 2 invites?

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 12, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Boy howdy the begging will soon begin.

Edit: Apparently it comes with 2 invites?

The dev post on that link implies that friends invites will be coming, not that they're available already, so no begging yet.

realbrickwall
Mar 12, 2013
Welp, no beta invite for me, I guess. I suppose I just have to wait until I can get some solid verification that the game will be worth box price + sub.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Since I was in the last closed beta, it seems I got into this one as well. I'm really hoping the quest progression changes will be substantial enough to win me back over to the "probably going to buy it" camp.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

CLAM DOWN posted:

The dev post on that link implies that friends invites will be coming, not that they're available already, so no begging yet.

The invite comes with 2 additional keys so I guess now is when the begging begins.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

miscellaneous14 posted:

Since I was in the last closed beta, it seems I got into this one as well. I'm really hoping the quest progression changes will be substantial enough to win me back over to the "probably going to buy it" camp.

You know you and me have always been tight, right?

(I kid)

Is this beta being treated as a final stress test?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well, if anyone's feeling generous, I'll certainly take one of those.

Uhrm
Apr 11, 2012
CHUA MASTER RACE! Selling my services as a personal tank for a betakey :D

Orv
May 4, 2011
Another beta, another no invite. I figure the beta I do get an invite for will create Skynet or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Is this beta being treated as a final stress test?

It's still a closed beta, so I doubt it. I'd be really surprised if they didn't do a big open beta before release just for stress testing.

• Locked thread