Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

DrakePegasus posted:

According to the bigass lore book, homosexuality is actually pretty well-accepted, if typically not talked about. The exact extent to said tolerance varies region to region. In Tevinter it's actively encouraged to the slaves by their owners, to keep their scarcity value.

On second thought, let's not go to Tevinter. It is a silly place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DrakePegasus posted:

According to the bigass lore book, homosexuality is actually pretty well-accepted, if typically not talked about. The exact extent to said tolerance varies region to region. In Tevinter it's actively encouraged to the slaves by their owners, to keep their scarcity value.
That doesn't really make a lot of sense. Whatever benefit an individual slaveowner might gain from the general scarcity of slaves, it would surely be outweighed by the benefits of encouraging their own inventory to multiply.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Strudel Man posted:

That doesn't really make a lot of sense. Whatever benefit an individual slaveowner might gain from the general scarcity of slaves, it would surely be outweighed by the benefits of encouraging their own inventory to multiply.

Right, that runs counter to any economic theory I know. If you are the only one who can produce a certain product, it can be a good idea to keep it artificially scarce. But if any of your competitors just need to toss a male and a female slave into a cage to produce more slaves... that would never work.

But eh, I am much more interested into the magister society than any zany schemes Bioware can come up with gay slaves.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Slave population control? When you have so many, allowing them to breed might result in a surplus that could lead to a revolt. Maybe.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Lotish posted:

Slave population control? When you have so many, allowing them to breed might result in a surplus that could lead to a revolt. Maybe.

Yeah, this is it here, if you have too many slaves then revolt becomes a possibility. Civilizations with huge slave populations, like the Romans, dealt with it often.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Penakoto posted:

Yeah, this is it here, if you have too many slaves then revolt becomes a possibility. Civilizations with huge slave populations, like the Romans, dealt with it often.

Tevinter already has a simple solution for dealing with an abundance of slaves thanks to blood magic.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Penakoto posted:

It was one of the major causes of the fall of the Spartans too.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Spartans and their blood magics!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sure but at the same time having a massive slave population that provided them with their food so they could produce warriors of excellent quality and surprisingly sick burns was how they gained such dominance. If the Tevinter Empire characters were written with half of the quality of ancient Laconic Wit* I would never tire of exploring it.

Also, the Sacred Band of Thebes which ultimately is what militarily crushed the Spartans is history's greatest and gayest fighting force.

*Seriously, look these up, they're nothing but ice burns in a sentence or less. It is a land of people with humor so dry that the British look like an ocean.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Yeah, despite even then being known as warrior badasses they were terrified of their slaves revolting.

They outnumbered the Spartans by a pretty great deal and even relative to other slave populations, were treated terribly.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Barudak posted:

Sure but at the same time having a massive slave population that provided them with their food so they could produce warriors of excellent quality and surprisingly sick burns was how they gained such dominance. If the Tevinter Empire characters were written with half of the quality of ancient Laconic Wit* I would never tire of exploring it.

Also, the Sacred Band of Thebes which ultimately is what militarily crushed the Spartans is history's greatest and gayest fighting force.

*Seriously, look these up, they're nothing but ice burns in a sentence or less. It is a land of people with humor so dry that the British look like an ocean.

"if" :smuggo:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Seriously, I would buy Dragon Age 3 straight up if for every dialog option I could take the Laconic route.

Imagine leaving your romance partner behind when you go to the final, suicidal battle and when she asks what she should do respond with "Marry a good man and bear good children."

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

DrakePegasus posted:

According to the bigass lore book, homosexuality is actually pretty well-accepted, if typically not talked about.

It's my understanding that it's Orlais that very, very modestly and indirectly encourages it because it makes you interesting. They're evidently a tediously fussy sort and very proud of it, like the kind of people who oddly put on a smug face when they're talking about their delicate digestive systems and how they can't have this food or that food with the understanding that you'll have to cater to their very specific, refined needs.

"Women? oh my no, I can't possibly stand to be around their sort. They offend my romantic sensibilities. If you want to play matchmaker with me you simply must find a worthy man, but not one that's too mannish I'll have you know. Only a man that possesses a youthful beauty and wit and is of good breeding will do for me."

All the other orleasians then nod and jealously smile wishing they could say stuff like that.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's a country of goofballs. Got it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It doesn't say that in the book about Tevinter. If I recall it says they do that to keep a firm connection between master and slave, which is dumb but less dumb, or maybe not but different dumb :shrug:. I don't care.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Spartan social system was loving insane and I don't think it's that useful to compare even with other slave societies.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Barudak posted:

Seriously, I would buy Dragon Age 3 straight up if for every dialog option I could take the Laconic route.

Imagine leaving your romance partner behind when you go to the final, suicidal battle and when she asks what she should do respond with "Marry a good man and bear good children."
Surely after dA2 the idea of Bioware giving players a "witty" dialogue option is something out of a nightmare?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

2house2fly posted:

Surely after dA2 the idea of Bioware giving players a "witty" dialogue option is something out of a nightmare?

I don't know. I did a playthrough with sarcastic Hawke, and aside from the situation where somebody just died or was tortured it was not that bad. The jokes fell flat a few times but overall it wasn't bad. I learned to be diplomatic or aggressive in these situations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's a country of goofballs. Got it.

Imagine all of the worst parts of French nobility over the centuries cherry picked and packed together. That's Orlais.

Torrannor posted:

I don't know. I did a playthrough with sarcastic Hawke, and aside from the situation where somebody just died or was tortured it was not that bad. The jokes fell flat a few times but overall it wasn't bad. I learned to be diplomatic or aggressive in these situations.

I enjoyed playing a character that absolutely was not taking this poo poo seriously. I felt it fit the game better than the other two. Probably wouldn't be as enjoyable in a game that didn't have so many obvious problems though.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

I think Mass Effect unfortunately trained people to soley mash either the top, middle or bottom option in every situation. While a purely sarcastic Hawke definitely has its charms in that though you're an extremely capable killer-champion you're also so self-centred and detatched from basic empathy you're dishing out wisecracks of varying quality on your mom's deathbed, that is you're a fantasy Sterling Archer, I don't think that kind of exclusivity was intended beyond an amusing gimmick playthrough. It makes more sense to pick and choose the response you feel's most appropriate, even when if you're roleplaying a type, otherwise you're essentially opting to sometimes pick the inappropriate ones with the expected results. It's not like you even need to fill up a metagame personality bar to enable its special options, whatever direction you're leaning in no matter how thin the lead unlocks all the same bonuses.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 10, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

HenessyHero posted:

I think Mass Effect unfortunately trained people to soley mash either the top, middle or bottom option in every situation. While a purely sarcastic Hawke definitely has its charms in that though you're an extremely capable killer-champion you're also so self-centred and detatched from basic empathy you're dishing out wisecracks of varying quality on your mom's deathbed, that is you're a fantasy Sterling Archer, I don't think that kind of exclusivity was intended beyond an amusing gimmick playthrough. It makes more sense to pick and choose the response you feel's most appropriate, even when if you're roleplaying a type, otherwise you're essentially opting to sometimes pick the inappropriate ones with the expected results. It's not like you even need to fill up a metagame personality bar to enable its special options, whatever direction you're leaning in no matter how thin the lead unlocks all the same bonuses.

Based on what Gaider's said in the past, I get the impression that this is exactly right. While I like a pure sociopathic witty-Hawke, the idea is that even if you default one way, you'll pick the option you think is most suitable for the circumstances. And, in fairness, if you do play it that way, Hawke is a much more coherent character rather than the massive ball of purity/dickishness/rage you get if you always go one way.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

By the by, here's a fairly long, ~30 minute, gameplay video I found for DA:I recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDlhWp0nXYs

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

HenessyHero posted:

By the by, here's a fairly long, ~30 minute, gameplay video I found for DA:I recently.

That's the same one they showed at PAX. Waiting for them to just release the drat video to the public.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CottonWolf posted:

Based on what Gaider's said in the past, I get the impression that this is exactly right. While I like a pure sociopathic witty-Hawke, the idea is that even if you default one way, you'll pick the option you think is most suitable for the circumstances. And, in fairness, if you do play it that way, Hawke is a much more coherent character rather than the massive ball of purity/dickishness/rage you get if you always go one way.

No, he's actually much less coherent.

When I first played DA2, I played like this. After dealing with the Arishok some, I found myself wondering who was yelling during battles. Oh, that's me? Really? It would go back to normal after a minute (and a few conversations) and then it would change again after dealing with the Arishok more. My Hawke sounded crazy as HELL because I was on the line between two stances. One minute, I'm religious and shiny and good, the next I'm smack-talking during battle.

So I started clicking just one way all the time. Because that was distracting and super irritating.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

No, he's actually much less coherent.

When I first played DA2, I played like this. After dealing with the Arishok some, I found myself wondering who was yelling during battles. Oh, that's me? Really? It would go back to normal after a minute (and a few conversations) and then it would change again after dealing with the Arishok more. My Hawke sounded crazy as HELL because I was on the line between two stances. One minute, I'm religious and shiny and good, the next I'm smack-talking during battle.

So I started clicking just one way all the time. Because that was distracting and super irritating.

Must've been more than a few conversations or maybe a very exotic situation. While your special options are determined by leading dialogue choice, your personality for cutscenes, combat and exploration crystallizes by another system. After a set number of conversations into an Act your personality fixes on your most selected option to ensure consistency. To change your personality by this point, you must exceed double your most selected option. If you manage that successfully to change it again you must exceed your new number by double yet again. Given the nature of successive doubling and the limited number of conversations you can have per act it's pretty dicey, if not impossible, to get Hawke to be schizophrenic on a minute to minute basis.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 11, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

HenessyHero posted:

I think Mass Effect unfortunately trained people to soley mash either the top, middle or bottom option in every situation.

Honestly I get the impression that Bioware is encouraging this.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
With the number of people I've seen here complaining that "renegade shepard isn't consistent!" maybe that's a good thing.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

HenessyHero posted:

Despite how much I hate Bioware for their DA2 and ME3 shenanigans, I'm genuinely excited for this.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I reinstalled DA:O again and started playing it. It really hasn't aged well in terms of gameplay - despite being completely addicted to the game upon release, it's rather boring upon this second playthrough.

But so much of it was done right I just wish they'd have improved on that model rather than gone in an entirely different direction :(

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The FAQ in the OP doesn't answer my question, even though it has the question in there: "Will I be able to import my saves from my old Dragon Age Games?"

It just links to this thing where I can make decisions. Can I still import my saves? I've been storing them carefully.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

PureRok posted:

The FAQ in the OP doesn't answer my question, even though it has the question in there: "Will I be able to import my saves from my old Dragon Age Games?"

It just links to this thing where I can make decisions. Can I still import my saves? I've been storing them carefully.

No. There were issues in porting from DA2 to DA:I so they decided to just set up a website, which isn't up yet hence the join the beta survey, where you can generate a save game with whatever past decisions you want.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

PureRok posted:

There's no clear answer yet on it, especially since some people will be importing from console to PC or upgrading their consoles to the next gen. Besides the Keep, there's no official answer yet.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Stroth posted:

No. There were issues in porting from DA2 to DA:I so they decided to just set up a website, which isn't up yet hence the join the beta survey, where you can generate a save game with whatever past decisions you want.

Where'd you get this from?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

epitasis posted:

Where'd you get this from?

It's in the OP.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

No it isn't.

Edit: Anyway here's the official word https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/372785630163779584

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

epitasis posted:

No it isn't.

Edit: Anyway here's the official word https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/372785630163779584

It's not this?:

Will I be able to import my saves from my old Dragon Age Games? I'm going to buy this game for a new system/I don't want to play the old games/I lost my old saves!
Developers have released information on the Dragon Age Keep: https://dragonagekeep.com/
While this is still in beta, and there is not a lot of details, it seems you will be able to make "historical" decisions about the past to build the world they way you would like it leading to the events of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

It's in the OP, but I'll update it to further say that no official word has been reached.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

OK, to quash this, I was just asking where he got this:

Stroth posted:

, which to me sounds like a definitive statement that there would not be any save file importing.

Stands to reason what they'll end up doing is letting you import a save file into their website and just have it autofill what's already changeable anyway.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

epitasis posted:

OK, to quash this, I was just asking where he got this:

, which to me sounds like a definitive statement that there would not be any save file importing.

Stands to reason what they'll end up doing is letting you import a save file into their website and just have it autofill what's already changeable anyway.

I thought there had been a definite statement. Sorry, guess I was mistaken.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'm guessing it's because DA:I is going to be next gen focused and they can't get cross-gen file transfer working. It's probably not worth their while including it only for the current gen versions since that might turn people off buying the next gen one. I'd expect the same for Mass Effect 4 to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

At least with me4 we know they're making a clean break up front. DAI is jumping directly off the previous game.

• Locked thread