Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know what it's like around where you guys live but the waiting list to apprentice around here is about as long as the wait to get season tickets for the Packers. There are literally millions of people who have had the same idea. There just are not enough good jobs out there. I mean sure if you happened to get lucky and you picked a career when you were a dumb teenager that might be useful after 60 grand in student loans it doesn't even matter because you graduated from college in the middle of the biggest financial pratfall since 1929. If you're say, 24 to 28 years old, possibly a wider range than that, chances are your wages are going to be depressed for life. The delta between the U-3 and the U-6 unemployment rates (U-3 is the traditional reported unemployment rate, U-6 is that plus everyone who is working part time because they can't find a full time job, and everyone who has been out of the labor market for more than 12 months but would work a job if they could) has increased from roughly 4% from 1994 until 2008 to over 6% in the supposed recovery that has occurred in the last 3 years. So basically most of the jobs that have been added to the economy post 2009 are lovely part time jobs that people are only working because they have no choice. Corporate profits have recovered to pre 2008 and beyond though so if you're just looking at the stock market and your 401k account things probably look pretty rosy, but down here in the trenches its a gucci loafer stamping down on a human face, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pretty much any job that pays hourly is going to drug test you in my rather limited experience, it just depends on how often they do it once you're in.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 11, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They might test you as a condition of getting hired but most places aren't going to randomly test you unless they're really anal about it or you're in some position where you're doing things that you absolutely should be sober for. Economically it just does not make sense for companies to waste the money. If you get injured that is purely an insurance thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rscott posted:

They might test you as a condition of getting hired but most places aren't going to randomly test you unless they're really anal about it or you're in some position where you're doing things that you absolutely should be sober for.

Like driving, operating heavy machinery, or a device that produces enough heat to start a fire...........

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Motronic posted:

Like driving, operating heavy machinery, or a device that produces enough heat to start a fire...........

Exactly. I'm almost positive that the UAW did/does random drug tests but they may have stopped that. I remember a new report that had reports secretly following unioners on their lunch break to public parks and they'd drink 40's and smoke weed then leave litter everywhere. They may have only done that following the press coverage so it could be outdated, but still, operating heavy machinery (or in my case, working with narcotics and other drugs all the time) should require random drug tests.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Oh christ the autoworkers are drinking 40s and smoking blunts in the park, fire them all! But no one cares about the 3 martini lunches with a couple bumps of peruvian flake in the bathroom the stock brokers and CEO's are having when they are investing billions of dollars of other people's money. :negative:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rscott posted:

Oh christ the autoworkers are drinking 40s and smoking blunts in the park, fire them all! But no one cares about the 3 martini lunches with a couple bumps of peruvian flake in the bathroom the stock brokers and CEO's are having when they are investing billions of dollars of other people's money. :negative:

Jesus Christ mate, one group is handling heavy machinery that could injure or kill the operator and/or people around them, the other group is thinking of ways to gently caress you over and make you a bitter and angry person. I'm not saying the CEO's aren't at fault for what's happening in the world right now, but that sure as hell has nothing to do with the unions or the discussion at hand.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
We should really make an AI job resource center. I feel bad for derailing 13's thread.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I was adding that if your cool with working some whacky hours, the Railroads are always hiring people, especially in Texas. The money is fantastic, good retirement, the work is cake (seriously, you spend most of your day walking around and throwing rocks at geese). I personally know a couple of guys are making 6 figures coming out of training, and mostly your just sitting on your rear end looking out a window.

If you want more of a sane life, signal maintainer, locomotive repair, and carman are pretty easy rear end gigs. You won't make as much as train crews, but its pretty gravy. Lots of people bitch about it here, but no one ever leaves. I believe strawberry and bt4com can attest to the life style as well.

The only thing - keep your rear end out of the drugs. That's it. They test at random and have no issues kicking your rear end to the curb.

Can you throw a link up?

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Slung Blade posted:

Getting fired after testing positive for owl pellets should get your name engraved on some plaque down at the labour relations board.

Yeah but if you eat some spiders right before you pee you'll test clean bro

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mat_Drinks posted:

You're alive!

Yes. Alive.

But I've *seen*... things...

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Preoptopus posted:

We should really make an AI job resource center.

Anyone wanna work on wind turbines in SE Washington? :haw:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExecuDork posted:

Yes. Alive.

But I've *seen*... things...

I was seriously thinking about how I hadn't heard from you since you confirmed that the skull arrived. How'd it treat you?

(blink twice if it's listening to you type)

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
You would think that valets would at least be initially screened, seeing as the entire job is driving cars that aren't yours, but in the two years I worked nights as a valet, nobody I worked with got tested at any point. The only time anyone got fired was when guys would roll up to work absolutely reeking of weed. Of course, if you actually tested valets, roughly 90% would fail at any given time, so you minimize the risk upfront by hiring people who have enough sense to not show up to work baked.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

bandman posted:

You would think that valets would at least be initially screened, seeing as the entire job is driving cars that aren't yours, but in the two years I worked nights as a valet, nobody I worked with got tested at any point. The only time anyone got fired was when guys would roll up to work absolutely reeking of weed. Of course, if you actually tested valets, roughly 90% would fail at any given time, so you minimize the risk upfront by hiring people who have enough sense to not show up to work baked.

Pretty sure this goes for a lot of auto techs and every delivery driver.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

bandman posted:

I currently work for a valet company and the entirety of my job interview was: "Can you drive stick? You have any speeding tickets?" and training started the next day. So yeah, we to drive cars that cost more than a house and most people who work for this company really shouldn't be driving at all. So yeah, fun times.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

13 INCH DICK posted:

I was seriously thinking about how I hadn't heard from you since you confirmed that the skull arrived. How'd it treat you?

(blink twice if it's listening to you type)

I've never had any bad luck attributable to the Cursed Skull. Bad luck, and bad luck attributable to other things, yes. But no Cursed Skull shenanigans, that I'm aware of. It hangs from the suction-cup mount for my GPS, which cannot pronounce properly any word containing the letter 'r' (44th street always gets a laugh) - does that count?

Perhaps it is just biding its time... waiting...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Preoptopus posted:

We should really make an AI job resource center. I feel bad for derailing 13's thread.

Can you throw a link up?

https://www.up.jobs
http://www.bnsf.com/careers/

not including the shortlines as well.....

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You drive slower when you're stoned, I'd think that would be a positive quality in a valet :v:

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
If you can get a job in the oilfield somehow, those generally pay pretty loving well. I'm on the engineering side but welders, construction reps, and other trades can make bank... 80-100k. Service companies pay pretty well too, I know frac operators make 60k+ an all you need is a H.S. diploma.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I do in fact, as a eastern Washington resident.

Terminus Est posted:

Anyone wanna work on wind turbines in SE Washington? :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Preoptopus posted:

Pretty sure this goes for a lot of auto techs and every delivery driver.

The local Domino's franchise does both pre-hire and random drug testing.

Worked there 2 days, and heard the GM toss out threats of drug tests at least a dozen times.

For some odd reason, they always have a shitload of ads for drivers on craigslist. No idea why... :350:

e: the store I was at for 2 days has several postings, looks like they've switched GMs at least. The GM that was in that store was a complete oval office.

bandman posted:

One of my old roommates did valet work for a bit. He was completely stoned out of his skull when he left for work, but he'd shower + change clothes immediately before walking out the door.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 12, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I find the lower on the social food chain the higher risk of drug testing at a job, its almost like its done that way on purpose.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't have to worry about a drug test at The Hut unless I file a workman's comp claim.

I saw one of the cooks start filling out paperwork for a sprained something or other after he slipped (GODDAMNIT WEAR SLIP RESISTANT SHOES YOU FUCKS), asst manager asked him "you know the owner is going to make you do a drug test right?". Cook: ".... can I wait a few days and see if it gets better before I fill this out then?" Asst mgr: "yes"

Out of ~35 employees, I can only name 4 that don't :2bong: regularly (the GM, one shift manager, one host, one driver). GM is rather anti drug, but he's also worked in food service long enough to know that he wouldn't be able to keep any employees if he did prehire or random drug testing. "I don't give a gently caress what you do at home, just do it on your own time" rolls out of his mouth fairly often.

When I worked at Whole Foods, they had a "no drug tests, period" policy. I could drive a forklift off of the dock while stoned out of my skull, break my arm, get treated on the company's dollar, and there would never be a drug test involved (the company trainer used that exact scenario in a talk actually). They would fire people for showing up obviously high/drunk, but I smoked plenty of :420: with various managers (off the clock and outside of work), including store managers.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 12, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm probably going to get probated for continuing the derail but how much do these service people usually spend on weed a month? Not trying to start poo poo, just genuinely curious.

There have been studies about "poor people" that will spend cash windfalls on luxuries because they'd rather have/do something nice than see it be wasted on catching up on bills and stuff. But at the same time, those luxuries are keeping them from being more financially stable and keeping them in poverty. It's pretty lovely all around. So how much are these service people spending on drugs/alcohol/cigarettes a month keeping them from getting ahead?

A few years back, my friend's and I were riding motorycles and we met an older dude who decided to ride with us. He's retired railroad and he was imploring any of us that were unsure about our careers to join up. He would tell us about crazy scenarios (hazard pay, holiday pay, etc) that would effectively triple or quadruple his hourly rate. Really cool guy, must be doing well for himself if his motorcycles and cars were any indication. Works at Lowes now "for something to do".

My wife's cousin works for the railroad and he's going to engineer training right now so he can make some fat stacks. He was working in-office for a few years but he says it's really boring and the pay isn't as good.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay I'm honestly not upset by this derail, it IS a 13 INCH thread but in respect for AI rules I'm cutting it off here and asking further replies to be continued in the misc chat thread. We all have a good time here so don't worry about this thread becoming the no fun zone :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

There have been studies about "poor people" that will spend cash windfalls on luxuries because they'd rather have/do something nice than see it be wasted on catching up on bills and stuff. But at the same time, those luxuries are keeping them from being more financially stable and keeping them in poverty. It's pretty lovely all around. So how much are these service people spending on drugs/alcohol/cigarettes a month keeping them from getting ahead?

People are gonna self medicate if they can't afford a doctor/shrink.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm probably going to get probated for continuing the derail but how much do these service people usually spend on weed a month? Not trying to start poo poo, just genuinely curious.

From my time in foodservice: probably ~$50-$150 a month on :420:, so while it's a lot for a foodservice salary it's not really that much. I was always more blown away by how much my coworkers spent on drinking at the bar. Easily $50+ a night, usually at the same bar we worked at, and they would drink at least a few nights a week. But as you pointed out, when you work in a lovely service job you're always kinda depressed so it makes sense a lot of folks would drown their sorrow in alcohol or drugs. And yeah, it's not like these folks had health insurance so they could actually try to work through their issues.

They sure did waste a lot of money on cigarettes, too (as did I when I worked foodservice; I smoked over a pack a day.)

edit:
Whoops I continued the derail, accept my humble apologies Mr. Dick!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

13 INCH DICK posted:

Okay I'm honestly not upset by this derail, it IS a 13 INCH thread but in respect for AI rules I'm cutting it off here and asking further replies to be continued in the misc chat thread. We all have a good time here so don't worry about this thread becoming the no fun zone :v:

Sorry.

What parts are on order for the Civic? Do you miss the crown vic?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm honestly not worried about the derail at all, there will probably be another one by next page at the latest, I only intervened because the energy seemed like We'd be able to just talk job hunting for the next couple pages at all. No worries :).

I've got a brand new master cylinder coming from eeBay, a weber 32/36 coming from my dad, tires coming from work, and if I have anything left over the steering rack and clutch are next priorities.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I moved my response to your post dreesemonkey to the misc. chat thread

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Just chiming in that Yokohama makes the A539 in 165/60/12 and the A084R in 165/55/12 for us tiny classic car folks.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Hey DICK, how are you going about fitting the Weber? Did you find / are you going to make an adapter? And how is it for space in there.

Also when I was at the tyre place they had some wheels from a quad or something sitting there which were 12"s with the usual tractor tread. I thought of your Honda, and kind of wondered if they'd fit. I even went so far as wondering if the 4 lug PCD on them was the same.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Just chiming in that Yokohama makes the A539 in 165/60/12 and the A084R in 165/55/12 for us tiny classic car folks.

Do they make it any narrower? I think my NSU can only do 145s :(

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

mutt2jeff posted:

I do in fact, as a eastern Washington resident.

Derail moved to misc chat...

Need more baby civic pics please.

Terminus Est fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 12, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DJ Commie posted:

Avon might do (the tyre company, not the cosmetics)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you can handle a 13" (oh, how appropriate) and lower the profile to compensate, you may have more luck, particularly if a 155 is doable. I doubt you'll find a whole lot of performance rubber, though at least it'll be name brand stuff.

The 10"/12" stickies are pretty much to cater to the classic Mini guys, and as such are in their sizes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If I want to upgrade to 13s I have the choice of '76-79 Accord rims or converting my front knuckles to 2nd gen civic and also making a hybrid 1st gen inner/2nd gen outer CV axle and redrilling my rear drums. The accord rims should be easy to find right? :v:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

DJ Commie posted:

No, you can get rally tyres though from what I could google. If you go 140/60/12 you could mount scooter tyres :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think you have a new goal.

From BaT / eBay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If you want to get REALLY silly, FSAE guys typically run 13" or 10" tires (the 10" is a newer thing), so I know you can get slicks and rain slicks in those sizes.
Of course, I doubt any of that is DOT-approved.

• Locked thread