Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Great to see it ended up the way I hoped it would. Can't wait to see some of the crazy maps that people make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Do we know for certain yet if you will be able to download other people's maps? It seems like a easy feature to implement but who knows.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Do we know for certain yet if you will be able to download other people's maps? It seems like a easy feature to implement but who knows.

I was wondering this too. I don't see anything to suggest we get to.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
If not, there's probably a way (inside or outside of the game) to transfer the gps data

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

GT5 lets you share tracks you've created with other people and also race them online too, so I think it's a safe assumption that GT6 will retain the same functionality given that it's already integrated. I think the real question will be if they make sharing cars/tunes/tracks with people a little more intuitive, which I'm hopeful of considering the vastly improved menu system of GT6 and the supposed integration of car clubs for people to create and join. There's no real way of knowing until the game actually releases, though.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
To add to the "what cars do you like to drive in GT" discussion:

I mostly like to drive what I'd call "medium tier" in GT - nice sports/touring cars, that (mostly) aren't too powerful for my driving abilities, like the Maserati GranTurismo or an Audi R8. That, and the Kübelwagen. Everybody loves the Kübelwagen ;p

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Somewhat related question, but are any PS3 driving wheels compatible with the PS4?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

I said come in! posted:

New info about the GPS app for GT6; http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-course-maker-gps-data/

This is perfect for me, I live on a college campus that is up in the mountains. The whole school is built on a steep hill with a layout that is perfect for racing. :v:
I could create my old work route, then? That's pretty super.

work route in question.

Scotland is a pretty fantastic place to own a car.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

All of you need to check your "living somewhere even remotely interesting to drive" privilege. :(

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Lyer posted:

Somewhat related question, but are any PS3 driving wheels compatible with the PS4?

I don't think they've said anything, but this is usually handled on a game by game basis anyway, GT7 or whatever on PS4 will probably have support for the G25-G27 at least.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

projecthalaxy posted:

All of you need to check your "living somewhere even remotely interesting to drive" privilege. :(

Everywhere is interesting when it's 150 MPH.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Personperson14 posted:

"cough" Yas Marina "cough"
"cough" Valencia "cough"
"cough" Silverstone "cough"

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I said come in! posted:

New info about the GPS app for GT6; http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-course-maker-gps-data/

This is perfect for me, I live on a college campus that is up in the mountains. The whole school is built on a steep hill with a layout that is perfect for racing. :v:

I just realized, I can create Seattle since I live here. I just need a car and figure out a new route in the stadium section and we have Seattle again, but without going through Seattle. Now I just need a car.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Falken posted:

Scotland is a pretty fantastic place to own a car.

After watching Skyfall and seeing Bond drive an Aston Martin through the countryside up there, I'm inclined to agree. It looks like there's some gorgeous scenery and long stretches of open road to enjoy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Personperson14 posted:

You underestimate the boringness of the Great American Southwest. I could make a 120 mile drag strip I guess.

But yeah I'm excited to see what normal is for other people. Also I hope we can trade liveries so I can get some Forza-standard anime racers going :nyoron:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

As long as the GPS can keep a solid signal, I want to make these roads as a track in GT6: http://goo.gl/maps/vvy1T

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You'll never keep a solid enough signal on Mulholland. I drive it on my commute (in a more populated area, even) and I'm forever losing signal. Which sucks because I had the same idea.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

El Hefe posted:

"cough" Yas Marina "cough"
"cough" Valencia "cough"
"cough" Silverstone "cough"

I meant public roads, not teribad race tracks.

The south has amazing dangerously awesome backroads that I'm going to exploit to make some seriously amazing tracks. I can't wait.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to actually drive the speed limit on the Dan Ryan.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
I wonder if it'll accept my Strava GPS data from bike rides.

Falken, you have an adorable town.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
So what's the odds that Deals Gap will be made? That road + MX5 = heaven. Probably not so much for something like the CCX or Zonda R at 30 mph, I'd imagine it would be a horrible, loud, and uncomfortable experience.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

So what's the odds that Deals Gap will be made? That road + MX5 = heaven. Probably not so much for something like the CCX or Zonda R at 30 mph, I'd imagine it would be a horrible, loud, and uncomfortable experience.

100%

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ether Frenzy posted:

You'll never keep a solid enough signal on Mulholland. I drive it on my commute (in a more populated area, even) and I'm forever losing signal. Which sucks because I had the same idea.
If it's the section I'm thinking, I used to drive that part of Mulholland for my commute some years ago. Really great bit of road, but it is in dire need of a repaving.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Preorded. Now to wait 23 days for it. I should waited till Friday, this way there was three weeks left.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A bunch of new car screenshots that won't look this good in-game; http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-car-screenshots/

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

BMB5150 posted:

I just realized, I can create Seattle since I live here. I just need a car and figure out a new route in the stadium section and we have Seattle again, but without going through Seattle. Now I just need a car.

We need to get together and do this :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I said come in! posted:

A bunch of new car screenshots that won't look this good in-game; http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-car-screenshots/

Why does the 500 Abarth have right-hand drive? I'm confused, I thought only Japanese / British car were that way :confused:

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

You can get on google maps now and start planning courses. This is where I imagined the existing Seattle track kind of going, but it's been a while since I played it so I might be a bit off.
https://www.google.com/maps/preview...2!1m1!1e1&fid=0

or here's another idea, just around Greenlake
https://www.google.com/maps/preview...1!1e1!2b1&fid=0

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Well if I can get my father's car then I would be driving a car that it's in the game. Merc SL600 R129.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

BMB5150 posted:

Well if I can get my father's car then I would be driving a car that it's in the game. Merc SL600 R129.

It'll be just like a rally :3:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The 20 square miles the map maker can do, I wonder if it would be possible to go 20 miles straight, 180 degree corner, 20 miles back, and repeat etc. Or a circle getting bigger and bigger for 100s of miles.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

It'll be just like a rally :3:

Actually I wish we have a GT-R of some sort just to make Kaz proud, and release Seattle goddamnit. We know the viaduct area is done. Just get Sucker Punch to help out since they're nearby in Kirkland and making a game in Seattle. Funny to know a few games go through places where you have been.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ak Gara posted:

The 20 square miles the map maker can do, I wonder if it would be possible to go 20 miles straight, 180 degree corner, 20 miles back, and repeat etc. Or a circle getting bigger and bigger for 100s of miles.

A bigger version of AVUS? Aw HELL yeah.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

BMB5150 posted:

Actually I wish we have a GT-R of some sort just to make Kaz proud, and release Seattle goddamnit. We know the viaduct area is done. Just get Sucker Punch to help out since they're nearby in Kirkland and making a game in Seattle. Funny to know a few games go through places where you have been.

There is a goon in Seattle that has a GT-R and says he'll give out rides if you ask nicely...

I really do hope they re-release the Seattle track though, I mean it was in the trailer right?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lyer posted:

I like to drive all the cars I've ever owned that pop up in the game, it's interesting to see how far they can go since I didn't get the chance to do it in real life.

E: I also like to think it's the afterlife for my 91' Toyota MR2 that got T-boned. :unsmith:

Up until now, I've gotten to drive most of the fun cars I've owned IRL in GT - an AE86 Corolla GT-S, a first gen MR2, and a third-gen Supra Turbo, but I'm really sad they don't have my current car in the game (2004 BMW 330i), only the M3 version of it. I wanna be able to pretend-drive my car around the Nurburgring dammit!.

I realize that BMWs aren't very popular in Japan due to their exhorbitant price compared to domestically available cars (BMW and most other European car makes are imported exclusively through a single importer who owns the rights to import them - combined with Japan's protectionist import tax schemes this means a $40k USD BMW costs closer to $80k USD in Japan), but they're still one of the most famous marques as sporting cars go and it'd be nice to have more of their lineup, as well as some older models in the game. Same with other Euro brands like Volvo or Audi.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

There is a goon in Seattle that has a GT-R and says he'll give out rides if you ask nicely...

I really do hope they re-release the Seattle track though, I mean it was in the trailer right?

Not in a GT6 trailer but being run on PD's hardware. It was in the trailer for the new Acura NSX which was driving away from the viaduct so past turn 3 or 4 or so. I think they probably have something but probably want to rework the stadium area so it's still real to life.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I was holding off on GT6 until i heard it was actually fun to play. I've played every single version of the game, and I really felt that GT5 was a boring grindfest. This sounds promising!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

I realize that BMWs aren't very popular in Japan due to their exhorbitant price compared to domestically available cars (BMW and most other European car makes are imported exclusively through a single importer who owns the rights to import them - combined with Japan's protectionist import tax schemes this means a $40k USD BMW costs closer to $80k USD in Japan), but they're still one of the most famous marques as sporting cars go and it'd be nice to have more of their lineup, as well as some older models in the game. Same with other Euro brands like Volvo or Audi.

the importers are usually the manufacturers now (or directly subsidized), the only one I see that isn't is Yanase for Mercedes and some GM cars. there's a markup and, yes, running a foreign car in Japan is much more expensive than a Japanese car (mostly because of parts and lack of service) but double? Nah. You're thinking of Thailand in that regard. Looking at prices between BMW USA and Japan web sites, it's about 25-33 percent higher in Japan. A 320i, for example, starts about $33,000 in the U.S. and $42,000 in Japan. M3s are expensive but the engines are also enormous by Japanese standards. European cars are popular but they're much more of status symbols than even in the U.S. -- and there are still a lot of cheap VWs and Peugeots running around. I live in a pretty poor part of Japan but I know where thare are people who have European sports cars or CLS/S-class Mercedes.

I think BMW having few cars in the game is a BMW thing. I know it's fun to rag on Polyphony for having a Nissan/GT-R boner sometimes (...okay often) but there weren't that many BMW representatives in Forza either, certainly not in the way Nissans are exhaustively made for the GT games.

I liked the GT Academy demo this summer, and the rumblings about changed UI and streamlined single-player has me curious. But I'm still baffled why they won't allow customization of the kind Forza does. Engine swaps may be one thing but at least the painting and livery options would be nice. Ditto for helmets -- my kingdom for a console racing game that just lets you freely customize your drat helmet!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think ive come to just accept that Forza and Gran Turismo are never going to really be anything alike. Both games have flagship features that the other developer just doesn't want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I really don't care for Forza's wacky liveries, 'oh boy your pink Focus has a dildo on its roof how hilarious'.

• Locked thread