Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Stick100 posted:

Trip report to Sprint store to check out a N5:

Speed test showed downloads of .35mbs. On the other side of the store a Moto X showed download speeds of 4mbs. Both showed LTE. I do not live in a Triband area but I'm not in the Samsung tower area so I thought I should get LTE, but it looks like the Triband phones are kind of screwed if you're not in a Triband area.

TLDR: Don't get a N5, LG G2, Galaxy S4 Mini, or Galaxy Mega on Sprint unless you spend the vast majority of your time in Sprint Triband areas.

One of the references:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/...ack-technology/

The Sprint Galaxy Nexus from 2 years ago most likely has much faster network connectivity than the N5.

How do I know if I'm in a triband area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

What the hell is this icon?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spog posted:

What the hell is this icon?

Long press it in the notification shade to find out.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

amenenema posted:

How do I know if I'm in a triband area?

"Sprint plans to deploy Sprint Spark in approximately 100 of America’s largest cities over the next three years, with initial availability in five markets today. These markets include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Tampa and Miami." http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/first-sprint-tri-band-capable-smartphones-arrive-on-nov-8.htm

Also if your towers support it then in non Triband areas you might be able to use LTE, but if your towers don't support the capacity to switch back then you'll get stuck with 3G (which is about the same as GSM edge).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

In many areas, even EDGE is dreaming for Sprint.

I have a FreedomPop hotspot that I never use because it would be faster to write the bits onto a sheet of paper and mail them.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just discovered by accident if you pull down with two fingers on the n5 it goes straight to the information menu rather than notifications. Handy.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

Lord Twisted posted:

Just discovered by accident if you pull down with two fingers on the n5 it goes straight to the information menu rather than notifications. Handy.

I think this is the same for all post-whenever they added that second layer to the notification shade. Also, if you pull it down with one finger, and tap the bottom-edge of the shade while holding it, it'll flip over as well.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Stick100 posted:

However the N5 has a big issue with Sprint that you may not get LTE if you do not live in a LTE tri-band region.

Seattle is not and never will be a tri-band area for Sprint. Their LTE deployment is at least a half year behind schedule (it was supposed to launch in June and still doesn't have a launch date anywhere in sight) and falling further thanks to the local telco (CenturyLink) being lovely about getting fiber to their towers and we're close enough to Canada that they don't want to risk the 800MHz transmissions bleeding over the border to an area where they don't have a license.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Long press it in the notification shade to find out.

Doesn't work.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Stick100 posted:

TLDR: Don't get a N5, LG G2, Galaxy S4 Mini, or Galaxy Mega on Sprint unless you spend the vast majority of your time in Sprint Triband areas.

I didn't mind paying the contract cancellation fee when leaving Sprint. I was lucky to get 3G speeds in the middle of a city on their "4G", everything else was dialup levels.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Picking up a Moto X today. Anything I should know about this phone? Seemed like it was one of the best out there with the Nexus 5 and I got a hell of a deal on it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

suddenlyissoon posted:

Picking up a Moto X today. Anything I should know about this phone? Seemed like it was one of the best out there with the Nexus 5 and I got a hell of a deal on it.
It owns. Enjoy your phone. Motorola is supposed to be releasing Kit Kat for the X soon.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any of you guys running into a bug on the N5 where the volume control stops controlling the ringer volume no matter where you are on the phone?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Lord Twisted posted:

MAXX does this too. Cool beans!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

bam thwok posted:

MAXX does this too. Cool beans!

It's still annoying compared to CyanogenMod where it was location based... far right was the info menu, everywhere else was notifications. You could do it with one finger.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's there on mine (on 4.3):

Oh, well its gone for me! A quick Google shows that there are a few more people for which it disappeared. Odd.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

ShaneB posted:

It's still annoying compared to CyanogenMod where it was location based... far right was the info menu, everywhere else was notifications. You could do it with one finger.

For the record, this works on everything from Android 4.2 up - Two fingers, toggles. one finger, notifications. One finger then tap 'light bar', toggles.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ShaneB posted:

Or, CyanogenMod's default is annoying...

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

suddenlyissoon posted:

If you want a custom one, you an use coupon code THANKYOU10 on the Motomaker site for an extra 10% off.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rusty! posted:

Or, CyanogenMod's default is annoying...
You can switch between one/two finger and left/right drag.

Note also that the left/right thing is actually part of AOSP: that's how tablets work.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I wish they'd go ahead and release the wooden backs for the Moto X :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ShaneB posted:

Any of you guys running into a bug on the N5 where the volume control stops controlling the ringer volume no matter where you are on the phone?

Google is aware of volume issues on the Nexus 5 and itll be fixed in a software update.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Tunga posted:

You can switch between one/two finger and left/right drag.

Note also that the left/right thing is actually part of AOSP: that's how tablets work.

I know you can, I just don't like that behaviour on a phone as being right handed I tend to pull down the shade with my right thumb and generally want notifications rather than the tiles.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

I know you can, I just don't like that behaviour on a phone as being right handed I tend to pull down the shade with my right thumb and generally want notifications rather than the tiles.
You can also configure the side from which it happens.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some apps, including WhatsApp, are broken because Google tightened up bytecode verification:

quote:

This really isn't a WhatsApp issue. They have bytecode that fails to verify for ART, but verified just fine for Dalvik. In ART we tried to add more aggressive checking of monitorenter/monitorexit balance where Dalvik did not but we are going to back that off now that it is clear there are apps relying on this pattern.
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=61916#c46

I'd figure the next build of ART will make these apps run. Hopefully that fix with ship with 4.4.1.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

So no one else's Nexus 5 is reporting 100% awake? I posted a screenshot earlier. It either says Exchange Services or Mediaserver is keeping the phone awake all of the time. But the battery drain I'm seeing doesn't seem as bad as you would expect 100% awake to be, in fact it's quite good more often than not.

Yesterday morning I downloaded an app from Play Store, and it stayed Awake for the next several hours until I noticed it, with Play Store using most of the usage. I restarted the phone and haven't had the problem since. Now I'll check for it after downloading apps for a whlile.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

*excuse the terrible battery life. I get 1-2 bars of service at work with no WiFi. Everything I bring here dies in 8-10 hours.

When there's little-no service, does connecting to wifi actually help battery life because it succeeds in checking your e-mail etc. without trying to find a tower, or drain it faster because now you're using two radios instead of one? My work has wifi, but not cell signal. From my sample size of two days it seems like using wifi is better, but yesterday also had the above problem as a confounder so I'm not sure yet.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lakitu7 posted:

Yesterday morning I downloaded an app from Play Store, and it stayed Awake for the next several hours until I noticed it, with Play Store using most of the usage. I restarted the phone and haven't had the problem since. Now I'll check for it after downloading apps for a whlile.

When there's little-no service, does connecting to wifi actually help battery life because it succeeds in checking your e-mail etc. without trying to find a tower, or drain it faster because now you're using two radios instead of one? My work has wifi, but not cell signal. From my sample size of two days it seems like using wifi is better, but yesterday also had the above problem as a confounder so I'm not sure yet.

Using Wifi is always better. It is usually better to leave your wifi on all the time, even if it is not connected to anything for location data.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ShaneB posted:

Also for the record the location based notification vs quick settings is a tablet feature.

But yes, you can use 2 fingers and go straight to quick settings.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Not sure if this is phone or software related.

On my N5, if I play a game like plants vs zombies 2, the phone will immediately heat up immensely, and the battery will drain like crazy. I'd probably only get a couple hours out of it.

If I play a game like Pixel Dungeon (which is awesome), the phone will not heat up at all, and battery is barely dented. I could probably get at least 6 hours on a game like this.

Is it that pvz2 is tapping the GPU and pixel dungeon isn't? Or does it just require more CPU cycles to play the game?

Either way, I tend to play leaner games solely for the fact that I don't have to worry about killing my phone before making it through the day.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
oh god you guys, just got my nexus 5, how the hell do I make hangouts just do SMS. I use gtalk extensively at work and I don't need all of these messages on both my phone and my machine.

edit - phew, I can just click logout in the settings section of hangouts and it reverts to SMS only

Hardtarget fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 13, 2013

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

Hardtarget posted:

oh god you guys, just got my nexus 5, how the hell do I make hangouts just do SMS. I use gtalk extensively at work and I don't need all of these messages on both my phone and my machine.

I don't know if you can. You'll probably be happier downloading something like Textra and just disabling/ignoring the Hangouts app.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Sobriquet posted:

I don't know if you can. You'll probably be happier downloading something like Textra and just disabling/ignoring the Hangouts app.

Just in case you missed my edit, similarly to Hangouts on 4.3 and earlier, you can click "signout" and it basically hushes that all down unless you specifically want to sign in and chat. For 4.4 when you click signouts it seems to revert to a SMS only app.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hardtarget posted:

Just in case you missed my edit, similarly to Hangouts on 4.3 and earlier, you can click "signout" and it basically hushes that all down unless you specifically want to sign in and chat. For 4.4 when you click signouts it seems to revert to a SMS only app.

This is true for Hangouts 2.0 on any version of Android.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
edit: nm i misread

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Civil posted:

Not sure if this is phone or software related.

On my N5, if I play a game like plants vs zombies 2, the phone will immediately heat up immensely, and the battery will drain like crazy. I'd probably only get a couple hours out of it.

If I play a game like Pixel Dungeon (which is awesome), the phone will not heat up at all, and battery is barely dented. I could probably get at least 6 hours on a game like this.

Is it that pvz2 is tapping the GPU and pixel dungeon isn't? Or does it just require more CPU cycles to play the game?

Either way, I tend to play leaner games solely for the fact that I don't have to worry about killing my phone before making it through the day.

It's just more intensive, I don't think there's anything particularly bad about using the GPU. If anything it should keep the heat down because it's way more efficient at the things it does, like rendering. PVZ2 is just way more busy than Pixel Dungeon, and honestly it's a bit inconsistent - it runs perfectly in the actual game most of the time, even when there's stuff flying everywhere, but then it occasionally slows down for no apparent reason at all. The map screen is laggy as gently caress even though there's nothing much going on.

ShaneB posted:

I don't know if this is an actual bug, but this can sometimes happy if an app doesn't give up control of a media stream when you switch to something else, so the phone still controls media volume instead of the ringer. Happens with some games, I think I had it happen with MX Player. You can always try swiping suspect apps away and see if you get ringer control back

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
hm anybody know why I can't expand the google keep widget to show notes anymore?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hardtarget posted:

hm anybody know why I can't expand the google keep widget to show notes anymore?
Make sure you pick the larger (3x2) widget. There are two, one being just the quick button bar.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The 4.4 OTA for Nexus 7 (2012/2013) and Nexus 10 has started tonight.

It looks like someone on Reddit already got it and pretty much confirms that the GEL launcher will not be on 4, 7, or 10.

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

UH, THIS ISNT YOUR DOG IS IT
I know this is kind N5 chat right now but I'm in Verizon so I gotta interrupt.

I just picked up the LG G2 - coming from a Verizon GNex. My GNex was my first Android device so I really only know clean, stock, Android. I'm banking on an active dev community for the G2, should this be the case as it's close cousins with the N5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh goody: G2 chat.

• Locked thread