Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's still a closed beta, so I doubt it. I'd be really surprised if they didn't do a big open beta before release just for stress testing.

Ah, was curious about the 2 bonus invites and whether it was a flood measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
The extra keys were apparently random, cause my invite definitely only came with one beta key.

If they send me any extras I'll give them out here.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Is this a "bound by NDA" beta?

Even I had gotten in, I don't have much time right now anyways. But I look forward to reports of what people think about the game, how the polish is, and what sets it apart.

After FFXIV, I've learned not to take looks for granted...never seen a telegraph system so horribly done, it almost pushed me back to WoW.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Did they actually announce a new target release date? They were supposed to do that raid testing too but that never happened, wonder if they're still planning on doing that or not.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So why should I be excited for this? It's a name I heard everyone saying then everyone stopped saying it for a year. I assumed it dropped off the face of the earth. :v:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
^^^
It's the Next Big Thing if you are one of those people constantly searching for a new MMO. It is also somewhat of a MMO Rorschach test since it has more action-y combat for people tired of the same old MMO combat yet 40 man raids for people pining for Everquest and vanilla WoW endgame raiding.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Did they actually announce a new target release date? They were supposed to do that raid testing too but that never happened, wonder if they're still planning on doing that or not.
"Spring 2014" so probably next summer. It will be interesting to see how much work Carbine got done without the distraction of beta feedback.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Is there a PGS thread for key begging?

Uhrm
Apr 11, 2012
I'm actually glad that UDSP was postponed till tomorrow. Maybe they'll have giveaways there :D

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

xZAOx posted:

It absolutely is.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grrarg posted:

^^^
It's the Next Big Thing if you are one of those people constantly searching for a new MMO. It is also somewhat of a MMO Rorschach test since it has more action-y combat for people tired of the same old MMO combat yet 40 man raids for people pining for Everquest and vanilla WoW endgame raiding.

So it's everything promised by all the other MMOs since AoC? :v:

Eh, whatever. I'm a sucker for new MMOs too so I guess I'll buy it a few months after release.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Rasta_Al posted:

If they send me any extras I'll give them out here.

I've got no issue with you guys doing this, but please for the love of god don't try to sell them on the usual beta key sites. My hand will be forced and I'll have to ban you.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pryce posted:

I've got no issue with you guys doing this, but please for the love of god don't try to sell them on the usual beta key sites. My hand will be forced and I'll have to ban you.

But how else will that stalker guy get into beta?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Pryce posted:

Will there be more invites sent out for this beta phase, or is this basically it for now?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Deki posted:

Will there be more invites sent out for this beta phase, or is this basically it for now?

This isn't a new phase officially, just preparation for December. Only a very small handful of new invites went out so we could test our new account system.

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual

Pryce posted:

This isn't a new phase officially, just preparation for December. Only a very small handful of new invites went out so we could test our new account system.

I'm not sure whether to feel renewed hope or not. Still super low odds of winning this lottery :negative:

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is there a PGS thread for key begging?

I have set up a thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3584626

Don't sell your keys guys, not even to goons. Be kind to your fellow unwashed MMO player.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Pryce posted:

BURNED BY ANOTHER BETA!!!!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I seriously doubt the mail text is NDA. This is the most important part about it:

Greetings, Citizen of Nexus!

Sweeping changes have been made to the game since you last saw it, including:

- A new Challenge system. Earning gold/silver/bronze will now increase the chance of winning your selected reward. All challenge rewards loot has also been rebalanced across the entire game.
- A new quest system! Quests now use progress bars to quantify completion.
- Open mob tagging is now implemented. Helping another player kill a creature will grant you relative XP/quest progress based on your contribution.
-The Arkships are here! Character creation now begins at level 1 and you'll be able to run through these tutorial zones before you reach Nexus.
-Time To Kill has been significantly decreased for all creatures.
-Creatures now both telegraph more frequently and (most) creatures now have a greater variety of telegraphs to use.
-TONS OF POLISH! Our team has worked tirelessly over the last four months to kill thousands of bugs, improve game performance, and build amazingly cool new systems. It's a whole new world out there!

Let's see how this goes. After the first Beta I was completely against buying the game with the impressions so far, but I'll give this beta a fresh look.

Time to kill a MOB was one of my biggest issues. It felt super high and I'm glad they changed that and realized that fighting a Yeti for 2 minutes when you need to kill 15 is not fun. Now if they could make it so I don't need to spam a button in order to autoattack...

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Meowbot posted:

It is kind of odd that the stress testers didn't get beta keys before the second round.

Pryce posted:

Can you confirm/deny whether the people who got in for the earlier stress test phase will have any preference when the December beta gets going?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Now if they could make it so I don't need to spam a button in order to autoattack...

It worries me a little more that you'd spend so much time in combat spamming auto-attack than there not being an option to do it automatically.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

hampig posted:

It worries me a little more that you'd spend so much time in combat spamming auto-attack than there not being an option to do it automatically.

Well considering everything is aimed, this doesn't seem that bad to me, as long as "autoattacks" aren't as insignificant and boring as autoattacks in games where they actually are automatic.

This is assuming that you actually do aim your autoattacks though.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Another beta, another no invite. I figure the beta I do get an invite for will create Skynet or something.
It'd be the best loving beta ever though.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
So it took me having to go to that thread on Reddit to find out what the story with the invites for stress testers is...

Jeremy Gaffney posted:

Assuming no technical issues, more invites will be going out in upcoming weeks. Not sure if they are done sending the first wave yet.

Jeremy Gaffney posted:

We need data from folks who have never tested the game before as a control group against those who played a bunch (CBT1-3) and a little (stress testers). Sorry, science :( It's only a few new folks relative to the entire bunch of testers, however - just enough to get statistically significant data.
We will get in stress testers as quickly as feasible given that need though. If no tech issues, we'll expand the beta fairly dramatically this go-round.
For instance, where possible we'll be adding a stream of new testers each week so we can compare the relative retention of different cohorts. That lets us normalize against external influences (the console launches, holidays etc. coming up) to see what retention issues are in-game and which are external)
So where science may be the enemy for wave 1, it is the friend of future waves at least. Once we seed in all the stress testers we'll do all new folks afterwards.

All useful info.
I'm in no rush - it's actually better if I don't get in until after finals anyway. As long as I have my time between xmas and classes starting again to play

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
I apologize if this has been said already, but check your spam folders religiously if you are waiting for/hoping for/conducting dark, obscene rituals for a WildStar Beta invite. Despite my best efforts otherwise, every single email I have gotten from the WildStar beta program has ended up in my spam filter somehow.

But yeah, this game has shown incredible promise so far, and I can't wait to see what a week or two of recuperation follow by a couple months of uninterrupted dev work has yielded.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Full Metal Boxers posted:

I apologize if this has been said already, but check your spam folders religiously

The one time I am sad to see:

:argh:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I've only ever gotten 2 emails from them ever, the signup one and the Devspeak:Aiming one. Never gotten anything else, spam folder or otherwise.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
I would imagine those who are in the Beta get a fair amount more. :ssh: I'm just suggesting that people keep checking their spam folder every so often, just in case.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Robzilla posted:

It'd be the best loving beta ever though.

Peoples houses would be tactical nuked for not reporting bugs.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

xZAOx posted:

You could say that:

quote:

Welcome, intrepid tester! Thank you for signing over your assets to the Protostar Corporation in that Non-Disclosure Agreement you most likely skimmed through. Don't worry, we'll take good care of your family for you.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

"ProtoStar - making dreams come true. For money!" :homebrew:

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

Esper devspeak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ZZwsfvTrc

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

I've been leaning towards Esper since they released all the classes, and this just makes it better!

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

Don't forget there's still two "mystery classes"* that haven't been revealed yet, also.

*which is hilarious because people figured out what they are like a year ago by mining the client files.

Carbine put the tiniest glimpse of them in the recent "Epic Class Drop Teaser", actually. Pay close attention at the :29-:30 mark.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Signed up for the beta after giving this game a proper look. The "path" concept looks interesting. Does anyone know if it just determines how you level your character, of if it affects your options for making a living in the endgame too?

Also, the OP looked a bit out of date. Is there a more current summary of available information somewhere?

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

The Path system is basically "bonus content". Carbine researched the most common activities MMO players typically spend their time on outside of the core content, then split those activities into four Paths so you could actually get rewards for doing them. Don't think of it as leveling so much as, "Well shucks, I was going to compulsively explore this entire zone anyway... Might as well get some goodies for doing it!". One neat aspect of the Paths is that they are cooperative in certain ways: there are shortcuts, buffs, even entire hidden areas that require this Path or that to access. They've been proudly hinting at that since some of the earliest teaser clips!

There hasn't been any information released on endgame Path activities, but Carbine has designed this game from the ground up with the endgame content in mind so I will be extremely surprised if the Path experiences just... stop when you hit level cap. Dailies, maybe?

With regard to the OP, it does seem a little out of date, yeah. I even thought about doing another thread with more up-to-date info, but I'm not sure how the Mods would look on that and I don't want to step on another posters toes either. In the meantime, just Google; there's a few good fan-run wiki sites out there that will likely have the info you're after. Feel free to toss me a PM if you have specific questions, too.

Full Metal Boxers fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 13, 2013

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

There's no reason for a new op right now anyway, it's still closed beta and nowhere near release. No point really, especially when things can change quickly.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
So the from the new class page, the Esper resource system looks a bit like the resource system in TSW - is this an accurate comparison?

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Full Metal Boxers posted:

I apologize if this has been said already, but check your spam folders religiously if you are waiting for/hoping for/conducting dark, obscene rituals for a WildStar Beta invite.

Every time they send out an email about a new devspeak video it goes to my spam folder and makes my heart skip a beat when I see the words WILDSTAR in my spam.

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

I love that the Esper's manifested psyblade abilities reflects the model of the psyblade weapon they have equipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I hope there's actual bonafide illusions and they aren't just "this ability has an animation where an illusion does a thing." They'd be pretty interesting in a game with actual aiming. The devspeak video made it sound more like the latter.

• Locked thread