Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Hmm. Maybe it did some weird internal offline mode authentication the first time I launched it? That or they handle seasons differntly than individual tables.

But ... it probably will come down to a case of "that's Farsight" :xcom:...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

A friend of mine moves a lot, and every time she does everything gets rearranged, new furniture gets bought and old stuff goes away. But one constant has been her extremely excitable shiba inu, who greets every single visitor by running around at top speed and pissing all over the floor. He's an amazingly nice dog other than that, cute and personable, but every visit starts with a flood of dog urine.

Pinball Arcade launching on a new platform just reminded me of that.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Looks like we're getting El Dorado and Cue Ball Wizard in pack 20. Honestly, I'm getting tired of all these Gottliebs.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 13, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DrNutt posted:

Does the Dualshock 4 do plug and play with Windows, or does it require the same kind of fuckery necessary for the DS3?

No idea, sorry man. I'm using it on the PS3.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MichiganCubbie posted:

Looks like we're getting El Dorado and Eight Ball Deluxe in pack 20. Honestly, I'm getting tired of all these Gottliebs.

They just renegotiated a contract with Williams so we're going to be getting more of those very soon. Season 3 will probably be heavy on Williams/Bally again.

And wow, that's a terrible pack. I like older machines, but neither of those are terribly interesting ones.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
EBD has a decent following in competition play and Bowen did a good tutorial on PAPA. I played a few games at Pacific on Saturday and sucked at it, though I swear the table wasn't level as I couldn't trap on the left.

That said I'm not sure we'll get it this month on iOS if Apple closes down the shop for Thanksgiving.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Wait I think you're thinking of Cue Ball Wizard. EBD is a different game.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Eegah posted:

You're right. I was reading the PA forums where they were talking about Eight Ball Deluxe being better. It's actually El Dorado and Cue Ball Wizard.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kilometers Davis posted:

No idea, sorry man. I'm using it on the PS3.

Sony's new controllers are back compatible? :aaaaa:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

sethsez posted:

They just renegotiated a contract with Williams so we're going to be getting more of those very soon. Season 3 will probably be heavy on Williams/Bally again.

And wow, that's a terrible pack. I like older machines, but neither of those are terribly interesting ones.

Have they actually confirmed that they have a new contract? Small negotiations like these involving Farsight have a habit of... well you know.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bah, the Season 2 Pack is still inexplicably 10 bucks more expensive. I don't understand why either. I really doubt its because of the T2 table. It just makes the whole pack lovely.

Season 1 = 21 tables for $30, plus many of these are some of the best/most favorite tables ever.
Season 2 = 19 tables for $40 and few are as popular as the Season 1 tables.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bah, the Season 2 Pack is still inexplicably 10 bucks more expensive. I don't understand why either. I really doubt its because of the T2 table. It just makes the whole pack lovely.

Season 1 = 21 tables for $30, plus many of these are some of the best/most favorite tables ever.
Season 2 = 19 tables for $40 and few are as popular as the Season 1 tables.

New things are more expensive than old things. I don't know why people think this is baffling. I do agree that s2 isn't overall quite as good, but I'm not exactly crying myself to sleep every night for paying over two whole dollars per table for the second season.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Season 2 is also only $30 on every other platform, isn't it?

And technically, they're all new on the PC.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Season 2 is also only $30 on every other platform, isn't it?

And technically, they're all new on the PC.

Yeah, it's weird that they would price Season 2 differently on Steam. You'd think it's a pricing error, but nope. :farsight:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Nurge posted:

New things are more expensive than old things. I don't know why people think this is baffling. I do agree that s2 isn't overall quite as good, but I'm not exactly crying myself to sleep every night for paying over two whole dollars per table for the second season.

Season 2 is $30 on PS3 and Vita right now, and I'm pretty sure that's what it is on Android and iOS as well. Meanwhile, the season 1 pack costs the same across all platforms.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

sethsez posted:

Season 2 is $30 on PS3 and Vita right now, and I'm pretty sure that's what it is on Android and iOS as well. Meanwhile, the season 1 pack costs the same across all platforms.

Ah I didn't know it was cheaper on the other platforms. That's pretty odd then.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Nope, Season 2 is $40 on iOS. I forget the reasoning behind S2 being more expensive, but I'm fairly sure there's going to be a $10 price drop for the S2 pack when S3 tables starting rolling in.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Eegah posted:

I have the old Microsoft Pinball Arcade software, which has Cue Ball Wizard. I never played that table because I got tired of the constant SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP. Okay, I shot the ramp, so the game shuts up about it, for about 10 seconds, then it's SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP all over again. Sometimes, it's like it would get the attitude of "If you know what's good for you, you will SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP".

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

MichiganCubbie posted:

Looks like we're getting El Dorado and Cue Ball Wizard in pack 20. Honestly, I'm getting tired of all these Gottliebs.

gently caress Gottlieb, they're terrible. :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well I don't know, Gottlieb made Haunted House and... that's about all I can say for them.

Haunted House isn't even really all that good, I mainly like it for the aesthetics and sound. It's probably my favorite "classic pinball" machine, though.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I'd rather take anything Gottlieb over any Williams/Bally DMD tables.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gottlieb tables can be okay but they really seem to lag behind their contemporaries in polish and depth.

I mean Victory came out in '87 and its voice sounds like some Zaccaria table from five years prior. Taxi came out the next year and I don't think technology moved that fast even then.

Teed Off was released the same year as Twilight Zone. Not even in the same universe in terms of complexity and aesthetics.

I do like Black Hole (apart from the long play times) and Genie, though.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Black Hole is pretty awesome, I got the 3-ball multiball last game and playing on both fields is nuts. The table is way easier than back when the gate would constantly open and close when playing the lower play-field.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Big Shot is actually one of my favorite tables. It's simple as hell and only really does one thing, but it does that thing very well.

Really, Gottlieb were the kings of pinball until solid state became a thing. They never quite figured it out, barring a couple solid games like TX-Sector and Genesis.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Did they change black hole? I noticed that compared to playing on the 360, the gate in the lower playfield seems to be open most of the time. Back on the xbox it seemed every second shot would close the gate again?

I remember reading something about a change being patched but not making it to 360 but that must have been over a year ago.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

Did they change black hole? I noticed that compared to playing on the 360, the gate in the lower playfield seems to be open most of the time. Back on the xbox it seemed every second shot would close the gate again?

I remember reading something about a change being patched but not making it to 360 but that must have been over a year ago.

I think 360 black hole was patched to fix the gate.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I'm glad to see Cue Ball Wizard coming in, it's probably one of the most important machines for me. My local pizza parlor had one set up and my brother and I would play the poo poo out of it on a daily basis, would always go down there and just sink quarters trying to get high scores. Really great memories associated with that table, so I can't wait to play it again!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Eegah posted:

Gottlieb tables can be okay but they really seem to lag behind their contemporaries in polish and depth.

Yeah, that's really it. They just seem so shoddy compared to other tables. Teed Off is just a waste of space in PA for me with No Good Golfers around.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

rockinricky posted:

I have the old Microsoft Pinball Arcade software, which has Cue Ball Wizard. I never played that table because I got tired of the constant SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP. Okay, I shot the ramp, so the game shuts up about it, for about 10 seconds, then it's SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP all over again. Sometimes, it's like it would get the attitude of "If you know what's good for you, you will SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP SHOOT THE RAMP".

I'm pretty sure that the Microsoft version didn't emulate the ROM, so hopefully that will be pretty well tamped down on the TPA version.

The Gottlieb tables are definitely not nearly as good as their Williams counterparts, but I can't help but be fascinated by them. DE/Sega generally copied Williams designs and rulesets, if not directly then in spirit, but the Gottlieb tables are sort of doing their own (messy and not great) thing. I can't wait until we get the return of Williams/Bally, but until then I'm happy to have a bit of variation.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Do not even ask posted:

I'd rather take anything Gottlieb over any Williams/Bally DMD tables.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but this is like saying you'd take anything Atari (2600, 5200, Jaguar :v: ) over Super Nintendo or SEGA Genesis.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Gottlieb != Premier/Gottlieb

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I know the Pin*Bot/BoP chat was a few pages ago and that I have posted this picture before but catching up with the thread I though I would post this again.

I really want to expand and redo my basement to have more but money is too tight right now to buy the ones I really want.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
Anyone going to the Southern Pinball Festival in Orlando the weekend of the 22nd-24th? Mark and Bowen from PAPATV are gonna be there and there will be a livestream of the tournament, plus Gary Stern's gonna be speaking there again.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Anyone going to the Southern Pinball Festival in Orlando the weekend of the 22nd-24th? Mark and Bowen from PAPATV are gonna be there and there will be a livestream of the tournament, plus Gary Stern's gonna be speaking there again.

I'm gonna try and go this year. Wanted to last year but missed it.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

mattfl posted:

I'm gonna try and go this year. Wanted to last year but missed it.

Assuming all goes well, I plan on being there all day Saturday. I wanna talk to Gary again.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm definitely going to be there all day Saturday. Wouldn't mind being there Sunday as well to catch the end of the competition, but work might interfere with that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gonna try and get my dad to come with as he's a big pinball fan but he might hafta work. I'll probably try and make it there Saturday though.

Edit: didn't realize there were so many central Florida pinball goons!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

mattfl posted:

Gonna try and get my dad to come with as he's a big pinball fan but he might hafta work. I'll probably try and make it there Saturday though.

Edit: didn't realize there were so many central Florida pinball goons!

poo poo, if you're going it'd be great if you could bring your virtual cabinet. I've been wanting to build a mini cabinet for a while but the cost and work involved has kept me from doing it in case I find out the smaller size doesn't do it for me. And really, the more machines the better! Last year didn't have any virtual pins, which was a shame.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I see all you chumps posting yer virtual pinball scores... Let's see some REAL scores

Hit that center ramp 75 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Tasteful Bulge posted:

I was thinking about heading to this for a day as well. Is there anything non-obvious that a relatively casual player ought to know about attending one of these?