Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Sure, just don't expect it anytime soon. It's more difficult to find cheap goretex poo poo than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I'm moving in a few weeks, and my buddy who was living with another dude was going to move in with me. He thought he could get out of his lease, because his current roommate got orders away. His landlord is trying to say that my friend cannot get out of the lease and instead will be paying double his old rent. Anything to do in this situation but lube up?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'd probably bring the lease to the ADC/JAG/shirt.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Harmburger posted:

I'm moving in a few weeks, and my buddy who was living with another dude was going to move in with me. He thought he could get out of his lease, because his current roommate got orders away. His landlord is trying to say that my friend cannot get out of the lease and instead will be paying double his old rent. Anything to do in this situation but lube up?

Call a lawyer? Is your buddy enlisted?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Call a lawyer? Is your buddy enlisted?

He is. I told him to try to talk to the JAG ASAP, but was seeing if anyone knew something here.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Harmburger posted:

He is. I told him to try to talk to the JAG ASAP, but was seeing if anyone knew something here.

Yeah Jag it up ASAP, that poo poo is not right at all.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
JAG's typically have a legal assistance section that does nothing but admin law type poo poo like wills, power of attorney, leases, etc...if he's having trouble getting pointed in the right direction just go to the Shirt (assuming the shirt isn't a colossal toolbag).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that poo poo can get taken care of on a walk-in basis

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have no idea where else this should go, hopefully this is the proper place.

I need some info on who to call to help out with wounded veterans in the Philly area.

The union contractors have a fund to promote ceramic tile, and I’m the treasurer of it. We were kicking around ideas on how to spend it and one of the guys came up with helping the wounded warriors.

The idea proposed would be to donate tile and the manpower to set tile for guys who might need to have a bathroom or something redone to meet handicap requirements.

We’d work with tile distributors to provide the tile, the unions to set it, and we would pay for both, basically giving the guy or girl a free tile job. I really don’t know any builders or anything that do this stuff though.

I called “Homes for our troops” but they are already partnered with a national tile account so there’s not much I can do there. They gave me “Operation homefront” which I also called (but haven’t heard back from), but I was hoping someone might know someone else I could contact.

I really don't give a poo poo about any media stuff, but it seemed like a good way to help some people. It has to be "tile related" unfortunately, that's the only string to it, so I think a direct donation might not work

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

I need some info on who to call to help out with wounded veterans in the Philly area.

The union contractors have a fund to promote ceramic tile, and I’m the treasurer of it. We were kicking around ideas on how to spend it and one of the guys came up with helping the wounded warriors.

The idea proposed would be to donate tile and the manpower to set tile for guys who might need to have a bathroom or something redone to meet handicap requirements.

We’d work with tile distributors to provide the tile, the unions to set it, and we would pay for both, basically giving the guy or girl a free tile job. I really don’t know any builders or anything that do this stuff though.

I called “Homes for our troops” but they are already partnered with a national tile account so there’s not much I can do there. They gave me “Operation homefront” which I also called (but haven’t heard back from), but I was hoping someone might know someone else I could contact.

I really don't give a poo poo about any media stuff, but it seemed like a good way to help some people. It has to be "tile related" unfortunately, that's the only string to it, so I think a direct donation might not work

If you haven't tried Wounded Warrior Project yet, I would give them a shot. I am not sure if they would be the right fit for exactly what you are attempting to do but it wouldn't hurt to contact them and ask. The below link is the contact info for the Pittsburgh, PA WWP office. They may be able to get you in touch with WWP alumni in the Philly area. This is a fantastic organization by the way, I have many friends that are better off for it.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/contact-us/pittsburgh.aspx

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cloudy McPouty posted:

If you haven't tried Wounded Warrior Project yet, I would give them a shot. I am not sure if they would be the right fit for exactly what you are attempting to do but it wouldn't hurt to contact them and ask. The below link is the contact info for the Pittsburgh, PA WWP office. They may be able to get you in touch with WWP alumni in the Philly area. This is a fantastic organization by the way, I have many friends that are better off for it.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/contact-us/pittsburgh.aspx

Thanks, I started with the wwp, they were the ones that gave me the homes for troops organization.
The operation home front people seem promising but I'd like to get a couple of other options if possible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Maybe try the local VFW or something? Someone there might have an idea.

Edit: Or an old lovely bathroom.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Godholio posted:

Maybe try the local VFW or something? Someone there might have an idea.

Edit: Or an old lovely bathroom.

This is a good start. Or maybe the DAV? Every state/County should have a VA advocate, also, yours may know of other programs. Maybe try the VA?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I called the pa veterans affairs office yesterday but no one answered. I'll check again next week. I'll give the local vfw post a call too, thanks for the idea. Hopefully this works out

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Maybe this world is another planet's hell...
Is basic pay paid retro active or proactive? For example, the paycheck on January 1st, is that the pay for serving from December 15-December 31st or it is for time to be served from January 1st to Jan 15th?

I looked all over and couldn't find an answer. Should I swing by PSD to double check?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
retro

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Thank you.

So if I am discharged on Jan 31st, my last paycheck (save any terminal leave or selling back leave) will be on Feb 1st (Base Pay + BAH + BAS)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Should.

Assume a gently caress up and / or late.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

You get paid for the work you've done, not the work you are about to do. Also, you may get another paycheck on 15feb, based on when the pay cut-off date is (I think it's the 22nd or something, so you may get another paycheck on the 15th for a few days worth of pay).

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Much obliged, gentlemen. Thank you very much.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AFewBricksShy posted:

http://www.pvmsec.org/

A little backstory
Apr 24, 2004

Let's call her Elizabeth, because that's her name.
Has anyone here gone from Guard to RA? How stupid am I for considering this?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

A little backstory posted:

Pretty loving dumb. You'd lose rank and hate yourself the whole time. Do your time, get your school money, get out.

If you still want to do it, then good loving luck. I've only ever seen it once in 2005 when they were still hurting for bodies. It happened less often than enlisted people going to OCS in my experience.

You may have better luck if you switch branches, but even then it's a crapshoot.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

A little backstory posted:

I've known a lot of people who tried this and only one that made it. He went from army guard to navy, lost two ranks, and didn't get to choose his rate. Don't even bother.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It seems like unless you're in a MOS that is really short on the active side, you're gonna get hosed.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Uhhh so how do you attach an oak leave cluster to a ribbon? I tried and all I have is a ribbon with a hole in it now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Center it, align the pins so one is a thread or two above the other (you have to eyeball it, it depends how much they're bent), then stab through and bend the pins toward corners.

Alternately, you can break the pins off and glue it on the ribbon, but when (not if) it falls off you become one of those weird people that does dumb poo poo like that, ironing things that shouldn't be ironed, etc.

A little backstory
Apr 24, 2004

Let's call her Elizabeth, because that's her name.

DoktorLoken posted:

It seems like unless you're in a MOS that is really short on the active side, you're gonna get hosed.

Welp. What I'm being told is that (as of AUG 13) prior service applicants are being considered into a certain set of MOSs if they are MOSQ and in the right grade bracket. My MOS is only open to E4 and below. :saddowns:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Center it, align the pins so one is a thread or two above the other (you have to eyeball it, it depends how much they're bent), then stab through and bend the pins toward corners.

Alternately, you can break the pins off and glue it on the ribbon, but when (not if) it falls off you become one of those weird people that does dumb poo poo like that, ironing things that shouldn't be ironed, etc.

Or quit being a scrub and just get thin ribbons, it costs like $20 for an average size rack and all you have to do is spend money, wait a week, and pin on uniform.

Or don't gently caress around with OLCs, who cares.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Or quit being a scrub and just get thin ribbons, it costs like $20 for an average size rack and all you have to do is spend money, wait a week, and pin on uniform.

Getting thin ribbons is a great way to guarantee your command will get a MUC the following week.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ultra thins are worth it. Pretty sure they'll update your ribbon rack for free. Or if you're like me, your ribbon rack was frozen in time as of 2010 and never changed.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ultra thins are worth it. Pretty sure they'll update your ribbon rack for free. Or if you're like me, your ribbon rack was frozen in time as of 2010 and never changed.

I just pretend I never got that next AAM or ARCOM, one day I will update it, but that day is not today.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cloudy McPouty posted:

I just pretend I never got that next AAM or ARCOM, one day I will update it, but that day is not today.

Yea by the time I had the Ultrathins ordered and my DOS, it was off by 2 rows.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey guys I was about to mail my buddy a christmas present when I saw this on amazon.

"If an APO, FPO, or DPO address is entered as an international address, the package will not reach its destination."

So now I'm stuck here at the check out web page wondering if I'm supposed to claim this base or whatever is in the USA or if it's actually in Afghanistan.

If I posted the address could anyone explain to me which field I'd enter the lines into (which is the "street", which is the "city" ect). It seemed pretty straight forward when he gave me the address a long time ago but I don't want to ask him to clarify now and ruin the surprise. But I also don't want the package to not arrive. Anyway I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give me because I sat up in bed and realized I'd better order the gift RIGHT NOW or I'd never get around to it.

Fake Edit-Actually, can you guys recommend any cheap consumable/always useful product I could get from amazon to throw on top of the gift I picked out?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Why would you not ask Amazon customer support?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

holocaust bloopers posted:

Why would you not ask Amazon customer support?

Because googling suggests it's not an amazon thing, it's an FPO thing. I hoped this was some common issue GIP guys knew all about. But whatever, Amazon made automated suggestions about the address and it'll either get to him or not. If the delivery doesn't work I'll worry more about it then.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
He should have given you a mailing address that is like

[Rank] Dude
Some loving unit that's probably full of pogs
APO, FP [zip code]

APO can be entered as the state when you're mailing something.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, that'll help me enter the address better if something goes wrong with this first package. Now how do I keep his wife from wasting all his contractor money and thus rendering his years away from his child essentially meaningless? That's also a common question right??

But thanks again, I think if I have to mail it again I've still got plenty of time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Don't list FP/AP as an international shipment. It is treated just like a normal domestic shipment because it is until this military takes over and ships it overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

APO/FPO mail is treated like domestic. It actually goes to either New York or San Francisco, and shipping to that destination is what you're charged for. The military (or rather, whoever is contracted) takes it from there.

• Locked thread