Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

kmcormick9 posted:

Every single FBO Ive ever been to that rented planes had a no instruction except for our instructors rule.
I'm sure this is largely in part to the fact that they charge 35-40/hour for their instructors and only pay them 10.

This is the case where I live, including the pay rates. However, I would add that it's probably an insurance thing. "Their" instructors are named insured, whereas others would not be. Maybe that would be the key, however. Offering to have full coverage above and beyond the value of their aircraft might work. I imagine they would want you to come work for them just to keep it simple though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Even better is the mentioned Tyler Wojo incident, where the dude told pax he had to go "count bags", went to the baggage area and poo poo in a bucket, which stank up the entire plane I guess. Came back up and assured all the pax the bags were on board!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

Even better is the mentioned Tyler Wojo incident, where the dude told pax he had to go "count bags", went to the baggage area and poo poo in a bucket, which stank up the entire plane I guess. Came back up and assured all the pax the bags were on board!

Between this story and some of the stuff my ATC friend has told me, Great Lakes sounds like a hilarious organization of poorly paid misfits.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Took my CFII oral and ride today. Oral was a little rough and had to look things up after the oral and go back to the examiner. Such as what is a VCOA, why my home base's airport ILS NA when the tower is closed and some other stupid mistakes. Got through that and when shooting the ILS realized the glide slope needle was stuck dead centered before we were anywhere near where it should be. Didn't end up getting the precision approach so I'm going out tomorrow to do it

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Such as what is a VCOA

Learned a new term today.

quote:

Pilot/Controller Glossary

VISUAL CLIMB OVER AIRPORT (VCOA)- A departure option for an IFR aircraft, operating in visual meteorological conditions equal to or greater than the specified visibility and ceiling, to visually conduct climbing turns over the airport to the published climb-to altitude from which to proceed with the instrument portion of the departure. VCOA procedures are developed to avoid obstacles greater than 3 statute miles from the departure end of the runway as an alternative to complying with climb gradients greater than 200 feet per nautical mile. These procedures are published in the `Take-Off Minimums and (Obstacle) Departure Procedures' section of the Terminal Procedures Publications.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
So instead of climbing while proceeding on course you circle over the airport ascending to the safe altitude?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sounds like it. I don't have any examples handy, most of the airports in TX don't need this sort of terrain avoidance. The AIM says this about it:

quote:

5-2-8. Instrument Departure Procedures (DP) - Obstacle Departure Procedures (ODP) and Standard Instrument Departures (SID)

b. What criteria is used to provide obstruction clearance during departure?

7. Some DPs established solely for obstacle avoidance require a climb in visual conditions to cross the airport or an on-airport NAVAID in a specified direction, at or above a specified altitude. These procedures are called Visual Climb Over the Airport (VCOA).

EXAMPLE-
"Climb in visual conditions so as to cross the McElory Airport southbound, at or above 6000, then climb via Keemmling radial zero three three to Keemmling VORTAC."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dear pilots: when the engine in your Cherokee goes tits up out over the Everglades, and you call up on guard looking for help, always keep in mind that although you might not hear a response because of your low altitude, your transmission is probably being heard, somewhere.

Broadcast in the blind, at a minimum, location, type of emergency, souls on board.

(USCG found the guy unhurt, standing on the wing of his airplane out in the swamp, in this case.)

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Got the ILS and finished the ride this morning. Now a CFII. Thank god I'm done we just got snow last night so I get to avoid that for now

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Congrats on the new ticket! :hfive:

In other news, looks like AA/US conceded enough that the DOJ is going to let them tie the knot. Great...

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I was going to post a rant about the effect of the merger on the regional industry but I think I'll just sum it up with one word: poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

I was going to post a rant about the effect of the merger on the regional industry but I think I'll just sum it up with one word: poo poo.

How is this going to effect the regionals serving "The New American"? You've got Eagle, PSA, Piedmont, Republic, Skywest, Mesa, and I think Trans States and, unlike other mergers, some of the players are airline-owned.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
What are the top 3 things that you would love your regular non-pilot passenger [ie wife] next to you in your Cessna to know?

As the non-pilot in question, I think I want to be able to manage a chart and have a good idea of where we are, know how to work the radio and what stations to be into, and know what kind of radio talk to use in an emergency. What are your guys thoughts?

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Knockknees posted:

What are the top 3 things that you would love your regular non-pilot passenger [ie wife] next to you in your Cessna to know?

As the non-pilot in question, I think I want to be able to manage a chart and have a good idea of where we are, know how to work the radio and what stations to be into, and know what kind of radio talk to use in an emergency. What are your guys thoughts?

Keep your eye out for other aircraft

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Knockknees posted:

Being quiet during critical phases of flight. (runup, takeoff, landing,) will make your pilot so happy. If you can understand WHY to be quiet, makes it even better.

My wife is constantly reminding me about frequencies or if I forgot to do something, etc. She doesn't nag, she actually can just hear a lot easier when she's not overly concerned with the safety of flight.

I bet all the other CFI's can relate. It's so much easier to see the big picture in the right seat :)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My passengers almost always spot traffic before I do.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Knockknees posted:

I agree with yours. Basic understanding of pilotage/dead reckoning (knowing what the chart means/situational awareness) and how to work the radio would be useful.

If you're talking about things to know in the event of an emergency, I'd add in a basic understanding of how to fly the plane, which could amount to "the yoke turns us and makes us go up and down, pedals are NOT the throttle and brake, and engine power is controlled by the black knob sticking out of the firewall".

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

How is this going to effect the regionals serving "The New American"? You've got Eagle, PSA, Piedmont, Republic, Skywest, Mesa, and I think Trans States and, unlike other mergers, some of the players are airline-owned.

PSA
Piedmont
American Eagle
Republic (shuttle/chataqua/republic)
Skywest
ASA
Air Wisconson
Mesa

You get a whipsaw, and you get a whipsaw, and you get a whipsaw. All of these companies are going to be asked to take concessions in order to fly new "large RJs" as the 50 seaters are retired. With 8 carriers to choose from AAG will be able to cut off whoever doesn't want to play ball knowing that at least one of the other carriers will be willing to pick up the slack. If one or two of 'em go out of business as a result, who cares? They have at least 6 more.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That sucks, and the PSA pilot group sure hurried to bend over and reach around, so we are off to a bad start.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

PSA
Piedmont
American Eagle
Republic (shuttle/chataqua/republic)
Skywest
ASA
Air Wisconson
Mesa

You get a whipsaw, and you get a whipsaw, and you get a whipsaw. All of these companies are going to be asked to take concessions in order to fly new "large RJs" as the 50 seaters are retired. With 8 carriers to choose from AAG will be able to cut off whoever doesn't want to play ball knowing that at least one of the other carriers will be willing to pick up the slack. If one or two of 'em go out of business as a result, who cares? They have at least 6 more.

American publicly stated they plan to kill off Eagle a while ago, so I'd guess they're not long for this world.

Since PSA's pilots agreed to a B-scale and substantial increase in healthcare costs not too long ago, I'm sure AAG will try to wring those same concessions out of the surviving regionals, or they'll just pull the same stunt Pinnacle did and file a sham bankruptcy to get even more concessions.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 13, 2013

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

azflyboy posted:

American publicly stated they plan to kill off Eagle a while ago, so I'd guess they're not long for this world.

Do you have any evidence of this? I know a few Eagle pilots that would be pretty upset by this. I'd always assumed they'd just be spun off or sold but not liquidated.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I don't remember seeing American saying they were going to "kill" Eagle, but they have said they are trying to divest Eagle or sell it.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/american-eagle-to-employees-be-patient.html/

It will be interesting to see if renamed-Eagle can get any Delta/United flying, if not I do think they'll probably shrink some.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Poor choice of words on my part, I should have said that American wanted to sell off Eagle instead of "kill" it .

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

They've been trying to divest eagle since long before the bankruptcy. Still, as the largest and most expensive AAG feed provider expect Eagle to have a rough couple of years.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My gf works at a bank and gets to take advantage of bank holidays. I may not get many days off, but I do get to stay home when the VP is in town! Thanks TFR's!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rolo posted:

My gf works at a bank and gets to take advantage of bank holidays. I may not get many days off, but I do get to stay home when the VP is in town! Thanks TFR's!

Try time-building in a swing state during a Presidential election year. You'll get lots of time off!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CBJSprague24 posted:

Try time-building in a swing state during a Presidential election year. You'll get lots of time off!

Good god I hope I'm done being a CFI by the time 2016 rolls around. I'll be based out of KAPA.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Do you dudes know how to find exact coordinates for UK IFR waypoints? Ie triangles on charts. I can find lots of info online about airfields and navaids, but not waypoints. Skyvector finds them, but can't give exact coordinages. For example, ROVUS. I found this and thisbut they seem incomplete.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 16, 2013

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Have you tried to see if Skydemon will give you co-ordinates?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Did my first three landings yesterday! Hooray!

I bounced on the first one! But the next two were much better!

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Did my first three landings yesterday! Hooray!

I bounced on the first one! But the next two were much better!

Nice, somewhere around 60 landings is when they really start clicking. At least that seems to be around the time

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Does your company hire at anything lower than 500? I'll be graduating in May and have somewhere near 400 hours.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Who said light tanks cant carry?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Does your company hire at anything lower than 500? I'll be graduating in May and have somewhere near 400 hours.

Negative, 500 is an insurance requirement, unfortunately. Sorry.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

Negative, 500 is an insurance requirement, unfortunately. Sorry.

Oh well. How is the job anyway? Any complaints? Are you sticking around for longer than a season? Like I said, someone from my school worked there and the pictures he put on Facebook were always interesting.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I'm taking my CFII ride on the 25th. I'd love some 'gotcha' questions or normal questions that invariably come up with students.

Contrary to popular belief I'm always trying to learn :pilot:

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

I'm taking my CFII ride on the 25th. I'd love some 'gotcha' questions or normal questions that invariably come up with students.

Thinking about doing some mountain flying, any special considerations I have to think about? What are the different procedures a departure procedure could ask you to do? Already brought up the VCOA thing earlier.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Here's a few questions I've been asked over the years...

Why is the turning error on the compass about 30 degrees? (It's approximately the latitude the aircraft is at)

Can you descend below the VDP if the runway is in sight prior to that point? Why or why not?

What does the circle around certain GPS waypoints (on an IAP chart) mean?

If an ODP is published and ATC gives you an instruction contrary to it, do you still have to follow the ODP?

What is the information required in a position report?

What are the takeoff minimums under part 91?

How do you know what areas are "mountainous" per the FAA?

If you divert to an alternate and one of the approaches at the airport is listed as "N/A" on the plate, can you still fly it?

For the flight, one thing that drives me nuts with instrument students I inherit from other instructors is that quite a few of them really don't want to go below the DA on an ILS, so they'll generally end up going full scale above the glideslope by the time they hit that altitude. The entire point of a DA is that you're supposed make the decision to land or go missed at that point, so if the aircraft descends slightly below that altitude while in the process of starting the climb to go missed (assuming the decision was made while on the glideslope), it shouldn't pose a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Dominoes posted:

Do you dudes know how to find exact coordinates for UK IFR waypoints? Ie triangles on charts. I can find lots of info online about airfields and navaids, but not waypoints. Skyvector finds them, but can't give exact coordinages. For example, ROVUS. I found this and thisbut they seem incomplete.

We use a wee white book called the European Waypoint Directory but a cursory google search didn't turn anything up.

• Locked thread