Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

When the deck had StC, it didn't have any singletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are the ordeal bad even if you have many simic counter-adding elements?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I like the green one a lot. In modern / casual clockwork beetle let's you get turn 2 ordeals.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Ordeal of Nylea is hilarious with Skullbriar EDH, if nothing else. :getin:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've seen jokers playing around with the Ordeals and Auratog, too (it was timeshifted!), since they don't need to be sacc'd to their own effect to trigger.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

bhsman posted:

Ordeal of Nylea is hilarious with Skullbriar EDH, if nothing else. :getin:

...What happens if you kill a Skullbriar via Black Sun's Zenith or some other -1/-1 counter placement? Would he permanently exist as a zero/negative toughness card?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Archenteron posted:

...What happens if you kill a Skullbriar via Black Sun's Zenith or some other -1/-1 counter placement? Would he permanently exist as a zero/negative toughness card?

Short of an anthem effect keeping him alive long enough to deal combat damage, yeah. :(

Augmentropy
May 26, 2013
I've modified the elf deck idea I mentioned in a previous post. I won't post the whole list here again but since this is my ~first attempt at deckbuilding~ I'd like to ask whether my curve and land ratio seem OK before purchasing cards. Anyone? :shobon:

Deck: Sylvan Might 0.3 [11/12/13]
Display deck statistics

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Baron Porkface posted:

Are the ordeal bad even if you have many simic counter-adding elements?
Yes, kind of. The blue Ordeal is amazing in limited, or if you can take advantage of the card-drawing to put down more tokens, or what-have-you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
+1/+1 counters aren't especially relevant, so if you're looking to see how abusable they are you want to compare their sacrifice effects:

- Spending a card just to gain 10 life usually isn't a good trade.
- You already have Lightning Strike if you want to deal three damage for 1R.
- Discarding is powerful, but by the time you actually get to use it your opponent is likely to have dumped their hand or has an answer.
- Ramping has a similar problem, where by the time it actually comes online it's much less useful.

Which leaves the blue ordeal, which is a two-mana Divination if you can abuse it. It's still kind of average given how conditional it is, but it's probably the most playable in a vacuum just because its effect is still relevant after you've put in the effort to set it up.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Augmentropy posted:

I've modified the elf deck idea I mentioned in a previous post. I won't post the whole list here again but since this is my ~first attempt at deckbuilding~ I'd like to ask whether my curve and land ratio seem OK before purchasing cards. Anyone? :shobon:

Display deck statistics

What is your goal with this deck? Casual fun time? FNM play? Competition higher than FNM? If you just want to be casual, your list is okay. If you want to be more competitive (and spend more money) this list is probably more the direction you want to go. In fact, no matter what direction you want to go, Heritage Druid, Nettle Sentinel, and Elvish Visionary should probably be in your deck. Cloudstone Curio is another card to consider as well. Let us know what direction you want to go and we can give more specific advice.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

ScarletBrother posted:

What is your goal with this deck? Casual fun time? FNM play? Competition higher than FNM? If you just want to be casual, your list is okay. If you want to be more competitive (and spend more money) this list is probably more the direction you want to go. In fact, no matter what direction you want to go, Heritage Druid, Nettle Sentinel, and Elvish Visionary should probably be in your deck. Cloudstone Curio is another card to consider as well. Let us know what direction you want to go and we can give more specific advice.

It sounds like he's pretty new. The deck you linked to is what most people think of Elves deck- a deck thats combo oriented to generate massive amounts of mana very quickly to power out some game ending plays.

His land amount (23) looks fine to me. Generally you want to aim around 23-24 lands in a deck, but insanely aggressive decks can run much fewer (17-18), and some control decks a little higher.

Heritage Druid, Nettle Sentinel, Elvish Visionary are all great inclusions for an elf deck, whether Casual or a more competitive combo brew. For more casual decks, I'd suggest trying to get Imperious Prefects. Its a nice Lord effect, but for an uncommon I think its fairly pricey.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Good news: I spent some time pondering my Crosis EDH deck and buying singles for it, and now it seems a lot more coherent in its theme of stealing/copying everything along with a mill/discard subtheme to help that out-

Deck: Crosis, the Kleptomaniac

Display deck statistics

Bad news: I got a little carried away with buying and trading singles for this deck and I have a few cards en-route to me that I don't know how to fit in here-
Butcher of Malakir
Nighthowler
Diluvian Primordial
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
Fleshbag Marauder
Cabal Conditioning

Any thoughts on how to fit those (or on the deck as a whole)?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 13, 2013

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Augmentropy posted:

Display deck statistics

This deck is good for casual, since it's got strong tribal themes without being broken, but you should play more mana elves. Your options are Llanowar Elves, Fyndhorn Elves, Elvish Mystic, and Arbor Elf. You want at least 8 mana dorks in order to hit your 3-drops quickly, so I recommend you cut all 4 Nissa's Chosen and 1 Essence Warden to make room for 4 Llanowar Elves and 4 Elvish Mystic.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
Can someone explain to me why mono black devotion as seen in Theros GP Louisville is either a good/bad idea in the current metagame? I am in love with Nightveil Spectre and Pack Rat and I want my deck to win FNMs (naturally.)

I currently play mono red devotion and slamming a Grey Merchant seems like so much more fun than a Fanatic of Mogis. :)

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
It's even more fun to cast T4 slaughter games and exile grey merchants.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
Right now I'm thinking this for a list:

4x Thoughtseize
4x Lifebane Zombie
4x Pack Rat
4x Grey Merchant of Asphodel
4x Nightveil Spectre
4x Underworld Connections
2x Whip of Erebos
2x Duress (?)
4x (removal)
4x (more removal)
24 Swamps, will probably run scry temples in blue/black white/black

Sideboard I haven't even started, probably Scourgemark and Pharika's Cure???

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
I'm almost done building my first casual EDH deck:

Deck: Ur-Dragon Antics EDH

It's built around getting the Scion of the Ur-Dragon out as soon as I can manage the weird mana cost, and then using his copy ability to adapt to my needs from there. The mana curve for creatures looks really strange, because most of the creature population I plan to do involves either the Quicksilver amulet, Utvara Hellkite, and/or or Teneb the Harvester + Bladewing the Risen. (Chew up Bladewing, chew up Teneb, deal damage, return Bladewing and bring Teneb along for the ride. 4 colorless for 2 legendary dragons. Edit: Oops more like 9. Is this legal? I think it may break at the very end, since I'm not sure I can interrupt and transform between the copy-Teneb damage trigger and real-Teneb entering the battlefield. Maybe I do want a Mirror Gallery after all... Edit: Mirror Gallery would allow me to just bring Teneb back out using his own ability, skipping Bladewing entirely... so yeah I probably want it)

I only got back into magic recently, so the bulk of the spells are filled out with things from recent sets... I've been keeping an eye out for better (low-cost) alternatives or must-haves, but the breadth of Legacy format is daunting. Any suggestions?

Diosamblet fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 13, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd be tempted to stick Rite of Replication and Kokusho, the Evening Star in, because draining everyone for 25 is really fun.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
I was thinking about Kokusho, but all the spirit dragons have to trigger on entering the graveyard, which would mean letting my commander actually stay there. I hadn't thought about cloning him while he's transformed... I think I would go for Progenitor Mimic instead of Rite of Replication. I took it out when I remembered the legend rule, but the Mirror Gallery... This would also give me a solid reason to toss in Prossh.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Those effects happen on death (and have had their text changed to reflect this). I am definitely of the impression you don't have to leave your commander in the graveyard after using an on-death effect. Progenitor Mimic still works pretty well with the new commander rule, seeing as you get to use both etbs and ltbs once per turn, basically on a card of your choice.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
Actually now that I think about it, Progenitor Mimic + Ur-Dragon as Utvara Hellkite produces a similar degree of insanity and requires no combo at all. Ur-dragon becomes hellkite... mimic becomes hellkite... mimic creates more mimics... hellkites create more dragons... Just need one spell in my hand to trigger everyone's desire to use Wrath of God.

Augmentropy
May 26, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

What is your goal with this deck? Casual fun time? FNM play?

Casual play. I just want to make a basic green elf deck to gently caress around with friends, I'm not looking to play competitively for now at least. I mentioned earlier that I liked the idea of an green deck that snowballs in terms of life gain opportunities and creature power with the number of creatures in play, although maybe I should focus more on one or the other for consistency's sake.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

You want at least 8 mana dorks in order to hit your 3-drops quickly, so I recommend you cut all 4 Nissa's Chosen and 1 Essence Warden to make room for 4 Llanowar Elves and 4 Elvish Mystic.

This seems like a solid idea to me, I've made the change for the time being.

Thanks to everyone who's replied to my novice questions. Here's another list with the above tweaks, unless there's something glaringly wrong with it I'll probably be buying some cards later today.

Deck: Sylvan Might 0.4 [11/13/13]
Display deck statistics

Pseudodude
Aug 26, 2012

Cairn Wanderer is another "dragon" if you need a second turn of double strike after fetching Dragon Tyrant, and can often pick up haste and lifelink as an added bonus. Dragonspeaker Shaman can help you cast any dragons you do draw, and Aphetto Dredging and Patriarch's Bidding can bring them back if the Teneb/Bladewing trick gets disrupted.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
Ooo, Cairn Wanderer looks great. I had been looking at Changelings hoping to find one with Hexproof as a secondary to the Quicksilver Dragon, but no luck there. Aphetto Dredging is also a great alternative to the cheap basic graveyard searches I've been placing in there. Thanks!

Unfortunately the Dragonspeaker Shaman is a bit out of my (monetary) cost to must-have ratio, but I do have a cheaper alternative on the way, the Palladium Myr.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Need some help with this Standard Red Deck (Online):

Deck: Red Deck (mtgo)

//Lands
21 Mountain

//Spells
2 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet

//Creatures
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
3 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Firefist Striker
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak

//Sideboard
4 Skullcrack
2 Toil // Trouble
3 Flames of the Firebrand
3 Act of Treason
3 Weapon Surge

Display deck statistics

Anyone have a good grasp on Red Aggro for MTGO that could give me some tourney insight? I went over this in #MTGoon and there was some question of the 21st Mountain versus a Fourth Phoenix.I can't really afford to put in Ash Zealots or Boros Reckoners.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 13, 2013

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FriggenJ posted:

I can't really afford to put in Ash Zealots or Boros Reckoners.
I don't like Ash Zealots, but if you're running Fanatic of Mogis, you really need Big Recks to make Fanatic worth it. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Tharizdun posted:

I don't like Ash Zealots, but if you're running Fanatic of Mogis, you really need Big Recks to make Fanatic worth it. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

It's going to be Devotioning for 5ish each time it comes out and is a 4/2 swinger. I mean I could certainly remove them but it feels like a reasonable plan to finish the opponent early/have a later threat.

For instance, all my 3 drops are at least 2 red mana symbols. Which is 1 less damage per as opposed to Reckoners.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
But Boros reckoner is like one of the best possible three drops in a deck like that even without the devotion consideration. At least keep him in the board.

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet
Hi, I've got this EDH deck that I am having a ton of fun playing at home

Deck: Mayael - Naya

it fares pretty well against the other commander decks in our household, but I'm thinking about going to a little $3 weekly event soon at a LCS. I mostly just want to check out the scene and I realize I'll most likely get my rear end kicked, so I'd like some feedback to see if I can make any solid (but relatively cheap) changes. I'm a pretty casual player in the first place and have no idea what the meta is like around here (Portland, OR)

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Brillo_Pad posted:

But Boros reckoner is like one of the best possible three drops in a deck like that even without the devotion consideration. At least keep him in the board.

He costs a little much right now. I'd use him if I could but getting a set of four is kinda beyond me.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Diosamblet posted:

I only got back into magic recently, so the bulk of the spells are filled out with things from recent sets... I've been keeping an eye out for better (low-cost) alternatives or must-haves, but the breadth of Legacy format is daunting. Any suggestions?

I don't reccomend using this regularly, but it's nice to have around when someone must die immediately: Skithiryx the Blight Dragon and Moltensteel Dragon. Attack with Scion, activate his ability twice. First resolved ability, become Moltensteel and pay 14 life to give Scion +7/+0, then the second resolves, and you're now an 11 power infect dragon :getin:

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet

I remembered an edit I made and had forgotten to input on deckstats, took out Collective Blessing for Oblivion Ring.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Archenteron posted:

I don't reccomend using this regularly, but it's nice to have around when someone must die immediately: Skithiryx the Blight Dragon and Moltensteel Dragon. Attack with Scion, activate his ability twice. First resolved ability, become Moltensteel and pay 14 life to give Scion +7/+0, then the second resolves, and you're now an 11 power infect dragon :getin:

I second this. You only need to attack for 10, not 11, poison in EDH, it's absolutely a good "I win" button.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

FriggenJ posted:

I can't really afford to put in Ash Zealots or Boros Reckoners.

Don't run shred-freak. He's not just a bad Ash Zealot, he's just a straight-up bad card. If you can't run Ash Zealot for money reasons, you probably want Gore-house Chainwalker instead to really make the most of BTE.

You definitely want the fourth Phoenix. For lands I run 19 Mountain 1x Mutavault, though my curve doesn't reach 4 except for a miser's Chandra in the board.

Drop the Magma Jet for Shock, you'll often have one spare mana to cast it while Magma Jet kind of takes your entire turn, at least during the part of the game you actually play.

I don't like Foundry Street Denizen unless you want to go all-in on the Turn 4 plan and running 4x Dynacharge over Fanatic of Mogis (and even then he's not really the best). Since you're not running Reckoner or Zealot you're topdecking badly anyway, so you might as well go fast instead.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
In EDH don't you up the poison counters to 20 for a kill?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Nissir posted:

IIRC that is a commonly-used house ruling but not an official one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nissir posted:

You might be thinking of 15 for 2HG

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Nissir posted:

Playgroups do it in different ways. Some do 10, some do 15, some do 20. In my main playgroup, if you play a creature with infect everyone bands together against you, so you'd better have a plan to win that turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Diosamblet posted:

It's built around getting the Scion of the Ur-Dragon out as soon as I can manage the weird mana cost, and then using his copy ability to adapt to my needs from there. The mana curve for creatures looks really strange, because most of the creature population I plan to do involves either the Quicksilver amulet, Utvara Hellkite, and/or or Teneb the Harvester + Bladewing the Risen. (Chew up Bladewing, chew up Teneb, deal damage, return Bladewing and bring Teneb along for the ride. 4 colorless for 2 legendary dragons. Edit: Oops more like 9. Is this legal? I think it may break at the very end, since I'm not sure I can interrupt and transform between the copy-Teneb damage trigger and real-Teneb entering the battlefield. Maybe I do want a Mirror Gallery after all... Edit: Mirror Gallery would allow me to just bring Teneb back out using his own ability, skipping Bladewing entirely... so yeah I probably want it)

I have a scion deck that routinely gets hated on by people, mostly for the Skithiryx silver bullet. I also have fun very occasionally assembling the hellkite charger/aggrivated assault and sword of feast and famine/bear umbra infinite combat steps lock. Additional ways to cheat out dragons are belbe's portal, urza's incubator, and dragon arch to name a few that are easy to run. Dragonspeaker shaman was already mentioned. Utvara hellkite actually puts a pretty solid target on itself/you because it can get out of hand really really quickly. Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund is also good just in case someone steals or copies a dragon or somehow has a few of their own, plus it gives your board haste. I don't run mirror gallery but I might if I had one. Honestly having multiple copies of a legend isn't an issue most of the time if you plan properly with Scion activations.

You might also consider a stronger reanimator package since you have a repeatable graveyard dump for huge fatties. Living death, twilight's call, patriarch's bidding, and the like. You can pretty easily make sure that bringing your yard back into play is far better than anyone else's. Since you have all five colors you get to pick and choose your removal/counter/tutor package as you like. Demonic tutor is virtually a must have, diabolic tutor is good, and the list goes on and on (and gets more expensive). Putrefy, mortify, vindicate ($$), terminate, dreadbore, hero's downfall, arrest, o-ring, swords to plowshares, path to exile, abrupt decay, and a million other cards provide good removal. I don't run any counters, not because I think they aren't fun or anything, but because the mana in the deck doesn't usually support the double blue costs until later than I'd like so I just focus on blowing it up and having bigger dudes than they do. If you feel like you can support the mana costs, go for it.

Other things that make your life easier are going to be mana base fixers. Chromatic lantern is good, but honestly the ability to fetch lands that you need is king. Ranger's path and skyshroud claim will both fetch forests for you, which is important because it doesn't say basic lands. You can fetch shocklands and original duals with them, farseek does the same thing. The tri-color lands are good too. Mirari's wake is nice, but is generally something that makes people pay more attention to me than I'd like for a five mana enchantment.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 14, 2013

• Locked thread