Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

Well, OK: I haven't heard anything about PYD fighters going south to fight government forces and I have heard about them clashing severely with the Jihadists. I guess I sort of assumed that this meant that they were mostly consolidating their own territory. I haven't actually verified this.

poo poo, rereading all this, I realized I mixed up the abbreviations for the KNC and the PYD. The PYD doesn't have support from the PKK, they are the PKK, and they definitely aren't formally fighting with the FSA. So you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

On a sidenote, looks like the price of Heroin is going to drop as Afghanistan is about to produce a record crop.

:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24919056

quote:

Afghanistan opium harvest at record high - UNODC

Afghan opium cultivation has reached a record level, with more than 200,000 hectares planted with the poppy for the first time, the United Nations says.

The UNODC report said the harvest was 36% up on last year, and if fully realised would outstrip global demand.

Most of the rise was in Helmand province, where British troops are preparing to withdraw.

One of the main reasons the UK sent troops to Helmand was to cut opium production.

The head of the UN office for Drugs and Crime (UNODC) in Kabul, Jean-Luc Lemahieu, said that production was likely to rise again next year, amid uncertainty over the withdrawal of most foreign troops and the presidential election.

He said that the illegal economy was taking over in importance from legitimate business, and that prices remained high since there was a ready availability of cash in Afghanistan because of aid.

"As long as we think that we can have short-term, fast solutions for the counter-narcotics, we are continued to be doomed to fail," he added.

Mr Lemahieu said there had been some recent successes, including the arrest of leading figures in the drugs industry, but it could take 10-15 years to deal with Afghanistan's opium crisis, even if policies improved.

The report said the total area planted with poppies rose from 154,000 to 209,000 hectares, while potential production rose by 49% to 5,500 tonnes, more than the current global demand.

Half of the cultivation area is in Helmand province.

Meanwhile two northern provinces which had previously been declared poppy-free - Faryab and Balkh - lost that status.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shadoer posted:

On a sidenote, looks like the price of Heroin is going to drop as Afghanistan is about to produce a record crop.

:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24919056

Mission Accomplished, let's bring 'em home.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

North Iraq is actually more or less functioning as a separate, more prosperous country under the Kurds. Some outside businesses are moving into Iraq and only sticking to the Kurdish side. Although if this ever gets serious traction across multiple countries Turkey will start taking issue with it I imagine.

Turkey has actually signed a bunch of deals with the Regional Government in Iraqi Kurdistan to boost trade. Recently they agreed to a controversial deal that would allow the KRG to pump oil directly to Turkey for export, circumventing the central government in Iraq who are meant to manage Oil exports (and give a percentage back to the KRG). Needlessly to say the Iraqi government are furious about this and also deeply worried, an economically independent Iraqi Kurdistan is another step towards an independent Kurdistan.

If Iraqi Kurdistan does manage to win full independence, Turkey won't be too happy but they are counting on the continued dominance of Barzani and the KDP to offset the influence of the PKK. The energy deal ensures that an independent Iraqi Kurdistan would rely on good relations with Turkey to survive economically, a friendly Kurdish state acting as a Kurdish ethnic homeland but hostile politically to carving out more territory from Turkey would actually be a good thing for Turkey. I can even imagine them propping it up with military force if needed.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Well, ISIS are continuing to win hearts and minds their own special way, decapitating a man who under anasthesia at a hospital said "ya Ali...ya Hussein", a Shia slogan. (or at least, allegedly said) The man was a rebel. There's yucky video of the aftermath.

https://www.facebook.com/syriaohr/posts/448898098551867

In completely unrelated news though, it seems that the regime is on the up - they're rolling through the Damascus suburbs, and even making it seems a serious attempt on Aleppo. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/11/syrian-troops-make-further-gains-damascus-20131113194137435130.html

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Today is Ashura btw, a Shia religious day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Ashura

mediadave posted:

Well, ISIS are continuing to win hearts and minds their own special way, decapitating a man who under anasthesia at a hospital said "ya Ali...ya Hussein", a Shia slogan. (or at least, allegedly said) The man was a rebel. There's yucky video of the aftermath.

https://www.facebook.com/syriaohr/posts/448898098551867

In completely unrelated news though, it seems that the regime is on the up - they're rolling through the Damascus suburbs, and even making it seems a serious attempt on Aleppo. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/11/syrian-troops-make-further-gains-damascus-20131113194137435130.html

Oh come the gently caress on. ISIS also accidentally attacked a Malaysian charity because they thought Malaysia's flag was a US flag. If Al Qaeda's leader condemns what you're doing as too violent then you're pretty far gone.

There's an article making the rounds on social media about how one of the first people to organize protests against the regime in Syria now wishes the regime would win.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 14, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

There's an article making the rounds on social media about how one of the first people to organize protests against the regime in Syria now wishes the regime would win.

Sounds like it's one of those things that's probably bogus, because the people organizing those first protests would be the first up against the wall when Assad regains control of the country.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Sounds like it's one of those things that's probably bogus, because the people organizing those first protests would be the first up against the wall when Assad regains control of the country.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's based off a single anonymous activist.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Today is Ashura btw, a Shia religious day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Ashura

Oh come the gently caress on. ISIS also accidentally attacked a Malaysian charity because they thought Malaysia's flag was a US flag. If Al Qaeda's leader condemns what you're doing as too violent then you're pretty far gone.

Insurgents and Jihadist groups in general seem to be willing to recruit anyone willing to pick up a bomb or gun. There is surveilance footage of at least one insurgent (in Iraq I think) testing the IED pressure trigger he just set by jumping on it.

It worked.

E:
Does the regime even have a plausible chance of actually 'winning' at this point? Do they actually have enough manpower and and supplies for a countrywide offensive if the Aleppo push is successful? It seems like their best attainable end game is to remain standing and hold on to Damascus and the South, Latakia, and maybe Aleppo, with the rest of the country de-facto balkanized into Islamist and Kurdish chunks.

Constant Hamprince fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 14, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Has anyone posted about ISIS accidentally cutting off someone's head?

quote:

Extrajudicial “Justice” and the Decapitation of Mohammad Marroush

At top, according to rebels and activists in Syria, is an image of Mohammad Fares Marroush, a Sunni fighter in Ahrar al-Sham, one of the prominent armed Islamist groups opposed to President Bashar al-Assad. At bottom is a more recent image, said to show Mr. Marroush’s fate at the hands of sanctimonious young men from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, an opposition formation aligned with al Qaeda.

Background: Ahrar al-Sham and ISIS are close allies, which means that the men shown displaying what is said to be Mr. Marroush’s severed head were officially Mr. Marroush’s friends.

So how does this work? If the early accounts of this execution are true, it was all a mix-up. Mr. Marroush was recently wounded in battle against loyalist Shia fighters in Aleppo. Rushed to a hospital, he was placed under anesthesia for surgery, according to accounts from activists and rebels. While still under the influence of that anesthesia, he was overhead muttering the phrases “Ya Ali” and “Ya Hussein.”

And that was apparently the beginning and the end of the case against him.

His words, the incoherent jumble of a man in a surgical fog, were taken by his executioners as evidence that he was an adherent of Shia Islam. He was promptly beheaded, while asleep, perhaps with the knife the young man in the lower image is holding in his left hand. (cont)
Graphic imagery at the top of the post, but it's probably a good example of why cutting the head off people is generally a bad thing to do.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

You know the local GCC population is pretty well off? Based on a quick survey of the local game stores the most popular series are Call of Duty, GTA, and soccer games.

If I turn on Call of Duty on a PS3 I will instantly get placed into a server with young kids swearing at me in Arabic

It was a partial joke but still gently caress the GCC.

quote:

The population of the six Gulf Cooperation Countries, almost 39 million in 2008, included 23 million natives and 16 million foreigners (41 percent). The foreign share of the population ranged from a low of 30 percent in Oman and Saudi Arabia to over 80 percent in Qatar and UAE.

Define 'population.' You mean citizens? I'm sure they're doing quite well. Most of them don't even need to work. Those Indonesian laborers not so much though. Again, gently caress the GCC!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Tactical Technology Collective have just put out a new short film about three people (including myself) which they call 'investigators-in-the-making', that some of you might find interesting. Apart from me, there's also two people who have investigated urban land grabbing in post-conflict Beirut and how DIY aerial mapping can expose a divided city in East Jerusalem. You can watch the video here.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Video footage emerges that points towards the Syrian opposition executing prisoners, something I examine in detail on the blog, along with explaining the investigation process.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of executions, in this obviously :nws: video Jabhat al Nusra executes a soldier in Aleppo in front of a big crowd, including some kids, who all seem to love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2BTgQkmTuw

What looks like the remains of a pretty huge DIY barrel bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXwh4lDSLbc

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 15, 2013

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Jesus, that soldier looked like he was like 15 years old.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Big news from Libya today

quote:

Libyan militiamen fire on protesters in Tripoli

Libyan militiamen opened fire Friday on a peaceful crowd calling on them to vacate their headquarters in southern Tripoli, wounding at least two people, an AFP journalist witnessed.

The demonstration followed calls by imams during weekly Muslim prayers for demonstrations against militias, holdovers from the 2011 uprising that ousted dictator Moamer Kadhafi, who are a powerful force in the increasingly lawless North African country.

Hundreds of people carrying white flags in a sign of peace, as well as the national flag, and singing the national anthem, had assembled in the capital's Meliana Square.

They then marched to the Misrata militia headquarters in the Gharghour district to press their demands when gunmen inside fired into the air to scare them off.
When the crowd continued to approach the building, the gunmen started firing at them.

Current figure are at least 6 dead, with 50 injured, if not much more. Footage is all over Libyan TV at the moment from what I can tell, and people are pretty pissed off about the whole situation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

Big news from Libya today

Current figure are at least 6 dead, with 50 injured, if not much more. Footage is all over Libyan TV at the moment from what I can tell, and people are pretty pissed off about the whole situation.

Welp. How do people not learn anything from history - history that they participated in just two years ago?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nenonen posted:

Welp. How do people not learn anything from history - history that they participated in just two years ago?

One of the things that can be learned from history is "Hey, I want to be like that guy, but I'll have to get rid of him first."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More grim video from Syria, CCTV apparently capturing the moment a stray opposition munition lands in a government controlled area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29tJ2RWg99M

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Muscle Tracer posted:

One of the things that can be learned from history is "Hey, I want to be like that guy, but I'll have to get rid of him first."

The militias aren't government. They're just gangs of insurgents stirring poo poo up. Heading out the door right now, but I'm assuming the protests are against the militias subverting the government because they have more military force, a problem Libya has faced since the beginning.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Volkerball posted:

The militias aren't government. They're just gangs of insurgents stirring poo poo up. Heading out the door right now, but I'm assuming the protests are against the militias subverting the government because they have more military force, a problem Libya has faced since the beginning.

The militias aren't the government, but they, I presume, played some part in the 2011 uprising after Gaddafi's troops opened fire on demonstrators? And now they refuse to give up their power, and are willing to open fire at demonstrators.

As for the Libyan government, it doesn't appear to have much power over the militias.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Not sure how well the militias will fare if 75% of the country comes to hate them and wants to do something about it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Not sure how well the militias will fare if 75% of the country comes to hate them and wants to do something about it.

The only way this mythical 75% of the country can express their views is through more militias. Libya can becomes stable in the short to medium term only by some group dominating the country by force.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Brown Moses posted:

Speaking of executions, in this obviously :nws: video Jabhat al Nusra executes a soldier in Aleppo in front of a big crowd, including some kids, who all seem to love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2BTgQkmTuw

What looks like the remains of a pretty huge DIY barrel bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXwh4lDSLbc

Youtube removes violent content now? What the gently caress are they thinking?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Count Roland posted:

The only way this mythical 75% of the country can express their views is through more militias. Libya can becomes stable in the short to medium term only by some group dominating the country by force.

These people! You stupid pie-in-the-sky idealists thought they could actually have a shot at democracy, when the only way they know is brute force! I've always told you they could never rule themselves, and here's the proof!

:jerkbag:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gen. Ripper posted:

These people! You stupid pie-in-the-sky idealists thought they could actually have a shot at democracy, when the only way they know is brute force! I've always told you they could never rule themselves, and here's the proof!

No that is a realist approach, democracy is no magic bullet that will work easily in the short or medium term, especially if there is no national tradition in running and respecting elections and the country is full of armed factions. Military dominance are much better in doing that but then you suddenly have one strong military that rule them all, and strong militaries do not have a good track record in respecting the will of the people.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gen. Ripper posted:

A democracy that cannot enforce its laws is a democracy that rules only in name. You may have heard of the American Civil War?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Miltank posted:

Youtube removes violent content now? What the gently caress are they thinking?

I think they remove murders captured in detail, specifically. They didn't remove the video on this page of the mortar hitting the dude in the middle of the street, for instance.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 16, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There policy is rather inconsistent, so as a rule I download anything I suspect might be deleted. The thing is, if I reupload the video on my channel it probably won't get deleted as I examine human rights violations and war crimes, so I'd be considered as documenting it.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Count Roland posted:

The only way this mythical 75% of the country can express their views is through more militias.

Or, there could even be conscription into the Libyan army if things get bad enough.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Good piece in the NYT about a key aspect of the conflict that's frequently overlooked in the various debates about how to resolve the conflict, Private Donors’ Funds Add Wild Card to War in Syria.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Syrian NDF has been posting videos of their assault on Barzeh, interesting footage from the other side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJwSIMKOTc

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Subtle zoom in at the end there on that lone, crying, Syrian flag.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

Subtle zoom in at the end there on that lone, crying, Syrian flag.

I think the person filming that didn't realise quite how that image might be read, a lone Syrian flag in a sea of destroyed buildings. It reminds me of the victory screen for the old game, Nuclear War.

I managed to get my hands on some Jabhat al-Nusra adminstrative documents captured by the YPG

More details on my blog.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brown Moses posted:

The Syrian NDF has been posting videos of their assault on Barzeh, interesting footage from the other side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJwSIMKOTc

That literally sounds like it came out of a Battlefield game.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

computer parts posted:

That literally sounds like it came out of a Battlefield game.

Battlefield has way better sound effects.

Interesting how where it used to be that movies were stylized fantastic depictions of war, we now have actual war that's being dressed up like movies.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

While not intended that way, it strikes home that whenever you read of either side "taking" a town or village or suburb that's what's left of it.

Nothing of value but propaganda.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

I think the person filming that didn't realise quite how that image might be read, a lone Syrian flag in a sea of destroyed buildings. It reminds me of the victory screen for the old game, Nuclear War.

I managed to get my hands on some Jabhat al-Nusra adminstrative documents captured by the YPG

More details on my blog.

Interestingly enough, they're using Gregorian dates instead of Hijri.
Page 1 & 2 of the document have some interesting names. Almost none of the names are real, they all appear to be nicknames. There is this interesting person on page 6 called Abu Khaled who specializes in Inventions and Contraptions, English, and Trade and Commerce.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Reports coming in that some government site in Damascus just got hit with The Big One. Looks like the Damascus offensive hasn't been successful in stamping out rebel activity, at least when it comes to bombings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Can-O-Raid posted:

Reports coming in that some government site in Damascus just got hit with The Big One. Looks like the Damascus offensive hasn't been successful in stamping out rebel activity, at least when it comes to bombings.

Activists are saying 4 generals are amongst the dead. If this is true, it will be one of the biggest rebel wins in a while.

• Locked thread