Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

SSNeoman posted:

This alone would have been a better idea for a villain. A sylvari with an affinity for machines liked to take them apart and put them together again. She decided to apply the same logic to people and organizations. Put some more effort, make her methods seem misguidedly extremist, give her an asura krewe, cut out her dumb as poo poo backstory and you have a decent villain who is crazy, but at least engagingly so.

As for her knowledge, mention the Dream and how it helped her realize the beauty and efficiency of machines, while the Nightmare Court's meddling with the dream made her realize the folly of people.

It's not perfect, but it is so much better.

She could be the best concept villain in the universe and she would still make my teeth grind with that nauseatingly horrible writing and voice acting. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities to Scarlet and it baffles me that she even exists in the first place and continues to exist in this game.

I made a bet with my friend that if GW2 ever actually gets a real expansion then we'd see Scarlet as a protagonist on our side and our new best friend, taking over as the new Trehearne. They'll write in a reverse-Blizzard where an antagonist inexplicably becomes a protagonist. I don't think I'll be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

sound_again posted:

She likes to combine things that weren't together before.

DO
NOT
STEAL.

:mad:

SSNeoman posted:

This alone would have been a better idea for a villain. A sylvari with an affinity for machines liked to take them apart and put them together again. She decided to apply the same logic to people and organizations. Put some more effort, make her methods seem misguidedly extremist, give her an asura krewe, cut out her dumb as poo poo backstory and you have a decent villain who is crazy, but at least engagingly so.

As for her knowledge, mention the Dream and how it helped her realize the beauty and efficiency of machines, while the Nightmare Court's meddling with the dream made her realize the folly of people.

It's not perfect, but it is so much better.

What's fascinating is that this is pretty literally what the steam creatures are. Before Scarlet they were a completely orphaned faction, and Scarlet - a comically over-the-top steampunk villain with an affinity for fusing things together - comes along and her whole deal is... clockwork. Great. I know they're already in her army (for some reason), and some things in the lore sort-of hint at their origin with the Asura, but her initial hook - or even minor character detail to make her not boring as sin - not being their inventor is a stupidly obvious oversight. Unless of course her big secret is that she invented them, which, well no duh. What a terribly-kept secret that surprises literally no one.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Scarlet is objectively terrible.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

DO
NOT
STEAL.

:mad:

What's fascinating is that this is pretty literally what the steam creatures are. Before Scarlet they were a completely orphaned faction, and Scarlet - a comically over-the-top steampunk villain with an affinity for fusing things together - comes along and her whole deal is... clockwork. Great. I know they're already in her army (for some reason), and some things in the lore sort-of hint at their origin with the Asura, but her initial hook - or even minor character detail to make her not boring as sin - not being their inventor is a stupidly obvious oversight. Unless of course her big secret is that she invented them, which, well no duh. What a terribly-kept secret that surprises literally no one.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Scarlet is objectively terrible.

What? Scarlet didn't create the Steam creatures. They were created by an alternate universe Asura PC.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

kafziel posted:

What? Scarlet didn't create the Steam creatures. They were created by an alternate universe Asura PC.

I was under the impression that was fan theorycrafting, but I might've missed a bit in that origin story that was a lot more explicit about it being the PC, in which case it would make more sense for her not to claim the title. Now that I think about it, that was the invention I never got around to finishing, of course its ending is incredibly explicit about this. :suicide:

Then again she's basically a big self-insert anyway, so who's to say that she couldn't have totally been the one to give the Asura the idea am I right?

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 13, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I didn't really follow the story too closely and took a break around the time Scarlet came along, so I really didn't have much of a grasp behind the hate for her.

Then I spent quite a bit of time with goons in the tower today and...I get it. Oh boy, do I get it.

Anet must certainly be looking over their shoulder for DC to come along with a C&D order.

sound_again posted:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 13, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just finished a full runthrough of the tower with Pro MLG SFD crew, we had 3 for about half and Cletus joined us halfway, but he was dead weight anyways. That was a really fun thing, that tower. All the mini instances, the mob variety, different obstacles like the exploding flowers, etc. It was really easy too, absolutely soloable. You just need to know how to dodge and not stand in the exploding flowers like that poor pubbie group that wiped over and over.

It was absolutely hilarious how many people were in the first 2 levels, then how few people were in the 3rd level. I could stand in there for hours watching idiots get owned by stationary explosions, or not know how to dodge, etc.

Good update Anet!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Helmet confirmed as good for creepy faces.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So a bunch of new content I need to check out with my Ele clearly, or lvl my Engineer alt with, but I got a question hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Fractals. There any good guides for them floating around as I have done a grand total of 0 of them. I understand you got to do like lvl 0 ones to unlock lvl 1's and so on
Are they worth doing or should I just be farming whatever regular Dungeon I like?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Visidan posted:

Helmet confirmed as Tali cosplay, you mean. :shepface:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So a bunch of new content I need to check out with my Ele clearly, or lvl my Engineer alt with, but I got a question hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Fractals. There any good guides for them floating around as I have done a grand total of 0 of them. I understand you got to do like lvl 0 ones to unlock lvl 1's and so on
Are they worth doing or should I just be farming whatever regular Dungeon I like?

I'd wait till the next update to do fractals, they're updating them.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
I agree, I think they were going for a good Batman villain: obsessed with some rigid idea about how people should be or how wrong the world is, to the point of losing reason.

Instead she's just Harlequin. And the Mad Prince is a crappy Joker ripoff.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
The Bloody Prince was an unapologetic rear end in a top hat who I actually thought was an ok character, it's the first time I've actually enjoyed one of those mini stories they post on the main website too. Also the banter with the Mad King was pretty ok.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I had just assume the Bloody Prince was a chance to laugh at a dumb juggalo. The Mad King is hardly a villain so much as he is just kind of an rear end in a top hat that everybody loves to have around, and the fact that he was taking low blows at his blubbering, ineffectual son throughout the event made me think that was the whole point of the Bloody Prince in the first place. I mean, you can get an achievement for throwing up on the guy, I don't think he was ever meant to be anything other than a caricature of the typical Halloween villain looking for :arghfist:REVEEENGE.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please Anet just stop ruining good updates with this crap.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
A lot of things bother me about that whole cutscene, but for some reason Scarlet's Dreamworks face is the most irritating part.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I was reminded more of the cutscenes from the Twisted Metal series.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is pretty good though:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
How are the "server-side heavy combat optimizations", is skill lag finally put to rest?

Trelack
May 23, 2009

sound_again posted:

Don't you see? By invading the world with countless clockwork minions and playing the villan, she is bringing us all closer together!

To the 1000 gems question, get character slots if you like alts/longterm bank space/birthday boosters or get bag slots if you play only one guy. If you do this wait until a sale day or until you can't wait any longer. There was such a sale around christmas last year.
I'd like the salvageomatic more if I could feed it karma instead. Why pay with copper when I can pay 2 karma a salvage instead?

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

I think Kasmeer's staff was made for me. May as well have been called Princess Anime's staff.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Fractal rewards have not been tuned, so they under-reward you for your time. The one thing they are currently good for is giving you trash loot - fractals are a veritable fountain of trash loot you can salvage for luck.

If you need any help with fractals, let a goon know. We have a lot of very experienced fractal masochistsveterans who can take you on an intro run. They aren't difficult as long as you follow the Guild Wars 2 universal rules of "don't stand in the fire" and "dodge the painfully obvious tells."

That's really perfect, well done.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Humble store is selling GW2 for 85%40% off. NA only though :(

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

edit, I can't read.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 13, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hey Arus way to stand me up last night. I spent like 30 minutes yodelling at you. Mesmer Asura can verify my claim. No McRib for you. Jerk.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Arus is really into this tower, final objective proof he is better than 95% of pubbies.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Visidan posted:

You look like you stepped out of a Command and Conquer game.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It was really easy too, absolutely soloable.

The champions blocking the gates are going to be a real pain for solo players, though. The only way to avoid those is if another group cleared them before you.

Batham fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 13, 2013

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
If the tower gets abandoned and no one plays it after a week those will be scaled to vets, not champs. It's not as badly designed as the Halloween zone.

The champs can be killed with 2-3 people anyway, instead of 50 or whatever that drat lich took.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So I played this game at launch and for a few months, came back, got bored, left and now I'm thinking of coming back again, since I actually enjoyed it at launch.

I recall that Necromancers had issues back then, with their skills and minions, have they been fixed?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Visidan posted:

The champs can be killed with 2-3 people anyway, instead of 50 or whatever that drat lich took.

Yeah, that's what I like about these champions. Just wish they'd leave the one shot mechanics out of it (see: the giant wurm). Also, how sure are you about the gatekeepers being scaled down? I've seen the other champions along the way get scaled down when there are few people near, but the gate keepers were always champions.

Not saying it's bad, just not sure if it'll be entirely solo-able.

Batham fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 13, 2013

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Batham posted:

Yeah, that's what I like about these champions. Just wish they'd leave the one shot mechanics out of it (see: the giant wurm). Also, how sure are you about the gatekeepers being scaled down? I've seen the other champions along the way get scaled down when there are few people near, but the gate keepers were always champions.

When it was just Mesmer and I those gate events had no champions, just a bunch of enemies to kill.

As for one shot mechanics I didn't see any on my ranger and I killed the wurm a few times, but then I'm too lazy to remove my wvw gear which has toughness on it. One of those krait champs was doing alot of damage to me when in melee range so it probably could take out a glass thief or ele though.

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 13, 2013

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Is the whole nightmare tower event and it's like designed for max level characters? I was passing through the area as I was levelling earlier and didn't handle the stuff I tried all too well.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

I'd say so, since you get upleved to 80.

Visidan posted:

As for one shot mechanics I didn't see any on my ranger and I killed the wurm a few times, but then I'm too lazy to remove my wvw gear which has toughness on it. One of those krait champs was doing alot of damage to me when in melee range so it probably could take out a glass thief or ele though.

That is a good point, I should maybe slip out of my zerker gear next time I go through it.

VVV I take it you were ranging him? In melee, he does what seems a frontal slam...that also hits behind him. VVV

Batham fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 13, 2013

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
The wurm has a powerful attack that sends several shockwaves out in straight lines which hit hard. On my ranger they wouldn't quite down me if I was on full health but did take the majority of my hp off. Good thing is that they are easy to see and to dodge, you can even just sidestep them! So yeah if you are a light class or running full beserker gear you may get one shot, it's about time anet encouraged something other than full beserker gear.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Humble store is selling GW2 for 85% off. NA only though :(

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

That's 40% off. Nice deal though.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I hardly ever use range on my ranger but we get a lot of melee evades so I was probably dodging it, I try to dodge every attack from a champ. Taking out the smaller wurms around the vet/champ will make the fight alot easier.

Isorenieratane posted:

So yeah if you are a light class or running full beserker gear you may get one shot, it's about time anet encouraged something other than full beserker gear.

Looks like they've been moving this way with the LS content, making using zerker an actual risk. This plus their stated goal of making CC and conditions useful in "high end pve" is pretty cool.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Visidan posted:

Looks like they've been moving this way with the LS content, making using zerker an actual risk. This plus their stated goal of making CC and conditions useful in "high end pve" is pretty cool.

And yet there's still defiant.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Obviously they haven't started. It was stated as a future goal, the only specific one apart from the usual "bring all classes to the same level" stuff every game dev says. Removing or changing how defiant and the cap works is the only way cc and certain conditions would be useful in boss fights.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Lowering damage output by having people need to wear something other than zerker is fine.... if they tune the mobs HP to match. Fights are sometimes long winded as this will just make them take longer.

E: This could also be fixed by changing how conditions work so that they're useful.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
If you want to have a good time, do Warrior with sword and warhorn. Trait condi->boon for warhorn. Carry Healing Signet, Endure Pain, Balanced Stance, Signet of Stamina, Signet of Rage

Signet of Rage+Warhorn means 100% swiftness uptime, Signet of Stamina lets you dodge roll more and clear all conditions if the poo poo hits the fan. You should basically be at 100% HP the whole trip up the tower. Every time someone throws a condition on you whether it be cripple or torment, blow your horn and you are totally clean. Healing signet easily outheals the pollen damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

malhavok posted:

That's 40% off. Nice deal though.

Ahh, I can't actually see it not being in the US so was going by the humble bundles press release about which is pretty vague. Re-reading now and it does say "up to" so my mistake.

• Locked thread