Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Jmcrofts posted:

Maaan, I love love love the hardware on my new Note 3 but god I hate the OS middleware. My last phone was the N4 and I miss the pure Android so much :< I wonder if there will ever be a Phablet-sized Nexus...

I seriously doubt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

friendly gentleman posted:

I know this is kind N5 chat right now but I'm in Verizon so I gotta interrupt.

I just picked up the LG G2 - coming from a Verizon GNex. My GNex was my first Android device so I really only know clean, stock, Android. I'm banking on an active dev community for the G2, should this be the case as it's close cousins with the N5?

I just got a G2 (on Verizon)as well, and rooted and installed a bunch of ROM's.

Every AOSP ROM breaks something. Usually it was the camera. One ROM I couldn't for the life of me get any notifications to work. Another gave me FC's left and right. I settled on Medallus ROM, as it's a "stock" ROM, so all the normal stuff works. Except the clock app, which FC's anytime I try to run it (which is bad since my phone is my alarm clock).

Basically what everyone else has said is true, Verizon and their poo poo really hurt the development of the ROM community unfortunately. Hopefully some 4.4 ROM's will come out soon and they'll get better.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Jmcrofts posted:

Maaan, I love love love the hardware on my new Note 3 but god I hate the OS middleware. My last phone was the N4 and I miss the pure Android so much :< I wonder if there will ever be a Phablet-sized Nexus...

I doubt you'll see it, as the form factor has yet to reach wide appeal.

You can:
1. get a LTE n7 and learn to live with VOIP solutions
2. root and ROM

Most Samsung users can just trick themselves into thinking they have google with a launcher and maybe some replacement apps. Besides, if you ROM, you'll lose some of the actual compelling features, like the superior camera, stylus support, and that multi-view thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Binge posted:

I just got a G2 (on Verizon)as well, and rooted and installed a bunch of ROM's.

Every AOSP ROM breaks something. Usually it was the camera. One ROM I couldn't for the life of me get any notifications to work. Another gave me FC's left and right. I settled on Medallus ROM, as it's a "stock" ROM, so all the normal stuff works. Except the clock app, which FC's anytime I try to run it (which is bad since my phone is my alarm clock).

Basically what everyone else has said is true, Verizon and their poo poo really hurt the development of the ROM community unfortunately. Hopefully some 4.4 ROM's will come out soon and they'll get better.
Maybe if people didn't keep buying broken pieces of poo poo with the intention of fixing it they wouldn't keep making them?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Maybe if people didn't keep buying broken pieces of poo poo with the intention of fixing it they wouldn't keep making them?

No, man, it has the best hardware right now! The developers will fix it, just like they fixed the G2x! Let's ignore that it's only marginally more powerful than phones that actually work properly out of the box and that power is never, ever going to show up in the real world anyway, and certainly not in the six months before he replaces the phone!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently the Nexus 7 2012 and Nexus 10 aren't getting ART. Currently, the only supported ART devices are the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

LastInLine posted:

The phone itself is great.

Maybe if people didn't buy phones intending to install "goku wizard black v4.20" and just used them out the box.

Dunno why a ROM is needed. Chuck a launcher on it if its too ugly. I'm bone stock and love it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

Soak test invites are going out to the Moto X

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/13/motorola-sending-soak-test-invites-for-moto-x-could-potentially-be-android-4-4/

Based on recent comments by Motorola and the fact that a leaked build was spied about a week ago, chances are this is 4.4.

Typically soak test invites go out on Tuesday the week before and then are pushed the following Tuesday. Some moto X owners may end up with 4.4 before the Nexus 4.

Edit:

It's also possible this is just the Band 4 radio update. I didn't notice on first pass that this invite went out to Verizon users. I suppose we'll find out in a week or so.

I hope the MAXX is next :allears:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I didn't spend several hundred dollars so that a Motorola device could get an update before my Nexus 4! How can I be :smug: if I don't even have that anymore? Google :argh:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Holy moly the massive Google Search update that's going out right about now :stare:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...e-apk-download/

e: also, simply install the launcher apk from the N5 alongside this and you will get an apparently flawless experience with the GEL on any device 4.1 and up

e2: confirmed, I just put this on my N4 and N7-2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 14, 2013

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

api call girl posted:

e: also, simply install the launcher apk from the N5 alongside this and you will get an apparently flawless experience with the GEL on any device 4.1 and up

e2: confirmed, I just put this on my N4 and N7-2012

Yep, just put it on my N7 2013 and it works perfectly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Whoa. You can ALSO say "Ok Google" on the homescreens.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My Dad owns a N5 and the phone isn't appearing in as a phone in Google Play Store, or Android Device Manager's web interface. He removed from the list his old Nexus 4 (which he wiped and gave to me) and now Google Play says that he has no devices.

Is this a common thing, or some weird event just affecting him? I told him it's possible Google needs to update the web interface yet to include just-launched hardware, but he bristled that he couldn't believe a big rich corporation would be so sloppy to ship hundreds of thousands of phones and not have it's software infrastructure in place.

Yes, he's new to this whole "being a Google customer" thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If he logged into his Google account on the phone in the settings?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mu Zeta posted:

If he logged into his Google account on the phone in the settings?

Yes. Everything is set up fine there.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Craptacular! posted:

Yes. Everything is set up fine there.

Have him download something from the Play Store on his phone.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Have him download something from the Play Store on his phone.

I've also tried this. I'm going to try removing his Google account in Settings and logging back in and seeing if something 'takes' this time. I know when I logged into a 4 the other night it showed up in Play right away and a Nexus 4 user guide showed up in Books. I don't think he got any of this.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently the Nexus 7 2012 and Nexus 10 aren't getting ART. Currently, the only supported ART devices are the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013.

Weird. You mean not getting them as a developer option right now, right? They haven't ruled it out entirely have they?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I received my N5 today and this thing is loving amazing, even coming from my N4. It's lighter, but the build quality seems better. No rattling buttons or frame, no gorgeous glass back to be paranoid about (I will sort of miss it), and a staunchly anti-glare screen. I'd go so far as to say the screen seems way less 'glassy' than the glass on the N4. It's not matte, but it ain't the 4's Archimedes death ray either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Weird. You mean not getting them as a developer option right now, right? They haven't ruled it out entirely have they?

It's not in the developer options for either device.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

baka kaba posted:

Right, not in developer options right now, which could be a matter of them simply not having a runtime for the CPU on the older devices yet. They seem pretty intent on offering it as a legitimate alternative to or a full-time replacement for dalvik going forward, though.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Is there a way to change the default home screen? My only complaint about this update is I've had my calendar on the left screen for years and I don't want to change.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't get there eventually, if it's basically a compiler and they're all running 4.4.

I bet the real reason is it's too drat good and makes the transparent bars work just fine!!!

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
I'm a recent android user coming from iOS. All my iOS friends can't message me because it keeps trying to send an iMessage!

I've turned off iMessage on my old phone and i've unregistered the device from the apple website. Anything else I need to do to fix this bug?

EDIT: My iPad is still registered. Could this be the problem?

Spekkio fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 14, 2013

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Civil posted:

I'm not sure how anyone could recommend anything but yellow accents.

Navy blue + yellow accents.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Spekkio posted:

I'm a recent android user coming from iOS. All my iOS friends can't message me because it keeps trying to send an iMessage!

I've turned off iMessage on my old phone and i've unregistered the device from the apple website. Anything else I need to do to fix this bug?

EDIT: My iPad is still registered. Could this be the problem?
This fixed it for someone in the last thread:

Cozmosis posted:

Also make sure the device is gone from your web support portal at Apple's site.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Long Francesco posted:

Is there a way to change the default home screen? My only complaint about this update is I've had my calendar on the left screen for years and I don't want to change.

This is driving me crazy as well. I don't like that Google Now is always the first thing to the left.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thats just the way it works.

If you want something different you'll have to use a different launcher.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This fixed it for someone in the last thread:

Yeah, it's gone from there. Any other ideas?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Internet Explorer posted:

This is driving me crazy as well. I don't like that Google Now is always the first thing to the left.

Use Nova

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I have no idea how you take something as core as SMS and completely gently caress it up from a UX experience but well done Google. Ugh.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Got my Nexus 5 last night, 7:30PM delivery from UPS, sheesh. So much faster and nicer than my Galaxy Nexus.

This is yet another battery chart but mostly for CLAM DOWN, fellow GNex user awaiting his Nexus 5.

Basically had a normal work day with a lunch break sitting in the middle of food court that had poo poo all for reception. Didn't charge the phone overnight so I started at 77% battery, got home with 28% battery. This is without having set up Lux to give me reasonable brightness settings either. Considering my GNex would regularly go from full charge to like 5-10% during a typical 8 hour workday, that's not bad!

Kinda sad that Puzzle and Dragon doesn't work on ART though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Damiya posted:

I have no idea how you take something as core as SMS and completely gently caress it up from a UX experience but well done Google. Ugh.

Why not just install a different SMS app if you're having such an issue with Hangouts? Takes like five seconds.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Man, google ALMOST had me fooled that bluetooth was fixed in 4.4 and it does seem generally improved, but still not quite on the mark.

The pauses every 15 seconds on my Nexus 10 streaming video for buffering only last 2 seconds now instead of 10 while using a bluetooth speaker.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
Simply disabling gchat in the hangouts app turns Hangouts into an awesome stand-alone SMS app. Of course, that means you can't gchat. But it helped simplify my life anyway.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Has anyone that side-loaded the GEL launcher got widgets working? I side-loaded it after getting the Google Search update on my Galaxy S3 but if I add any widgets to the home screens they don't work at all.

A reset fixed it. I should have first turned it off and on again...

Xarb fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 14, 2013

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So the cause of Mediaserver keeping my Nexus 5 awake all of the time was Scramble with Friends. Thanks Zynga.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Welp, it happened. My Nexsus S has survived falling bouncing off metal stairs and landing onto concrete, but slipping out of my pocket and belly-flopping onto my chair's caster was enough to do this to the screen. The digitizer still works, but is that likely to continue?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I broke down and ordered the Nexus 5. Pretty much everyone says it's the best bang for your buck by a longshot. I got it in White so it'd get here faster, I'd prefer black but I could always just get a case that covers up the white part.

This is not only going to be my first Android, but my first smartphone. So I gotta know - should I root this phone? Is it even possible yet? And if I did somehow brick it, would I be able to warranty it (even if it's supposed to void the warranty, I'm not above lying about it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Benjamin Black posted:

So I gotta know - should I root this phone? Is it even possible yet? And if I did somehow brick it, would I be able to warranty it (even if it's supposed to void the warranty, I'm not above lying about it).

The phone is a wonderful phone, but I had an assembly issue with my phone's buttons and others have reported them with the vibration motor and dirt under the screens. I'd suggest not rushing to root it right after you open the box. the first two issues can take a little time to manifest. I can't say if rooting voids your warranty rights for hardware defects, but there were isolated issues on that assembly line.

• Locked thread